BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I don't actually recall there being any suggestion at all that the deal wasn't a permanent one and indeed I'm assuming there wasn't any as he did absolutely nothing here in his first few months and presumably we'd have sent him back at that point were we able.

So in reality there's no difference between that and a permanent deal. Perhaps it's just an accounting tool for FFP purposes?

Yeah but in that case I just think there wasn't enough time to get the permanent deal done as there was an extra 2 week for EFL clubs to do loan deals that season

But we could do an obligation to buy for Healy or another player IF ffp is stopping us pay a decent fee in this window 

16 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Nzonzi

Cheers, didn't actually realise he was part of the French World Cup winning squad.

That tends to confirm the case against Healey rather than for him in my eyes, having checked up on his background Nzonzi played in Ligue 2 when he was about 20 before moving onto better things.

If Healey was any good you wouldn't expect him to be playing in Ligue 2 at age 27.

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Think the reaction to @Sparks Rover merely questioning the evidence of whether Markanday is good is totally unfair. The usual lines, the boring repeated Whiteman/Mols/Preston jokes, "have a day off" "here we go" "now you are just trying to be difficult" etc are totally unjustified towards a very valid question. 

I am cautiously optimistic, he seems highly rated, Spurs wanted him to stay and im happy that its a long term deal. Looking forward to seeing him play. But I do get why there are question marks seeing as he has literally played about 10 minutes of actual football.

This sums up pretty much exactly where I am with the signing. Very excited about the potential, but you have to acknowledge that a 20 year old with next to no top-level experience may at the very least need some time to adjust. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Think the reaction to @Sparks Rover merely questioning the evidence of whether Markanday is good is totally unfair. The usual lines, the boring repeated Whiteman/Mols/Preston jokes, "have a day off" "here we go" "now you are just trying to be difficult" etc are totally unjustified towards a very valid question. 

I am cautiously optimistic, he seems highly rated, Spurs wanted him to stay and im happy that its a long term deal. Looking forward to seeing him play. But I do get why there are question marks seeing as he has literally played about 10 minutes of actual football.

He does it with every single player.

The "excitement" comes from the fact we have signed a highly rated young player from a Premier League club, not on a loan but on a permanent deal.

If Stoke or another championship club signed Markanday it would be " look at Stoke they sign young players from Premier League clubs on permanent deals but we live off loans"

Nobody has said Markanday will definitely make it at this level but the it is an exciting signing 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

And you should know by now we like to rubbish our signings without seeing them play.Its what we do.Go back and read when we first signed Brererton, or even just 12 month ago.

Nobodies rubbishing him. I’m just saying let’s see him kick a ball before we decide he’s the next Damien Duff. He could be the the next Keith Tracey.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nobodies rubbishing him. I’m just saying let’s see him kick a ball before we decide he’s the next Damien Duff. He could be the the next Keith Tracey.

And who is saying he will be the next Damien Duff or tear up the championship?

People are quite rightly excited over the fact we have signed a young player that Spurs wanted to keep and other Championship clubs wanted to sign.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I've never seen zerfuulk either, so same goes for him...I want Maja, he's top player...what are you talking about...?  If I ain't never seen them why should I get all excited?

I disagreed with your initial post as you suggested his record and signing is nothing to be excited about.

The excitement comes from the fact he is highly rated, Spurs wanted to keep him and other clubs at this level wanted him and it is a permanent deal rather than a loan.

Nobody on here has said he will tear up the championship

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I've never seen zerfuulk either, so same goes for him...I want Maja, he's top player...what are you talking about...?  If I ain't never seen them why should I get all excited?

Unless I’m mistaken, Maja has scored 1 goal in 18 appearances in the championship.

You’ve never seen him play for us.

Why so interested / confident in him?

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

I disagreed with your initial post as you suggested his record and signing is nothing to be excited about.

The excitement comes from the fact he is highly rated, Spurs wanted to keep him and other clubs at this level wanted him and it is a permanent deal rather than a loan.

Nobody on here has said he will tear up the championship

I reserve my excitement for when they’re out on the pitch performing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The "excitement" comes from the fact we have signed a highly rated young player from a Premier League club, not on a loan but on a permanent deal.

If Stoke or another championship club signed Markanday it would be " look at Stoke they sign young players from Premier League clubs on permanent deals but we live off loans"

Nobody has said Markanday will definitely make it at this level but the it is an exciting signing 

It is a good signing, even though it might be a bit of a gamble. I haven't seen the fee confirmed, but it sounds like £500k there or there abouts. At his age, we can hope he turns into a top player and either starts for us, for years, or we make some big money on him.

I guess to question a signing like this, means you question everything the club do, as I for one feel this one is right for us.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Markanday seems like the exact sort of deal we should be going for at this point in time. Relatively little risk, massive potential.

He’s going to be out to prove himself, but we are in a position where we are totally reliant on him hitting the ground running. Cheaper than Jimmy Corbett 20 odd years ago too. Don’t see anything but upside to this one.

Yep, that's my take on it exactly. Huge upside (potentially) and at that price not the end of the world if he doesn't end up being the next Mo Salah.

For me the polar opposite of spunking away £5m on Gallagher when we'd already seen he wasn't that good.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Markanday seems like the exact sort of deal we should be going for at this point in time. Relatively little risk, massive potential.

He’s going to be out to prove himself, but we are in a position where we are totally reliant on him hitting the ground running. Cheaper than Jimmy Corbett 20 odd years ago too. Don’t see anything but upside to this one.

Spot on and I can't see how some are questioning this one.

I have been a critic of certain thing's over the years, but acknowledge when things are done that make perfect sense.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am cautiously optimistic, he seems highly rated, Spurs wanted him to stay and 'm happy that its a long term deal. Looking forward to seeing him play. But I do get why there are question marks seeing as he has literally played about 10 minutes of actual football.

How much 'actual football' had Khadra got before he signed? Honestly don't know the answer but i'm guessing not much more. 

I'd say his lack of first team minutes are more coincidental of his coming of age coinciding with somewhat of a turbulent period for Spurs. His lack of loan minutes more than likely mismanagement/insurance incase the 1st team had a spate of injuries or the like. Correct me if i'm wrong but Butterworth is older and also hasn't been on loan anywhere or had many 1st team minutes. 

The fact the lad wasn't happy with the prospect of staying at a 'big club' being loaned out until he was 25 or sitting on the bench never really establishing himself shows he has great character and wants to make a success of himself. We should be celebrating that seeing as it's that hunger that has got us where we are at the moment. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, J*B said:

Dilian is one of two players to play for Rovers from Haberdashers School. Can anyone name the other?

I saw this earlier… thankfully I can guarantee Mr Markanday Sr is nowhere near as big of a wanker as the other ones Dad!

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I just am not a fan of this positive/negative narrative that people obsess over.

The poster in question may in your opinion have a track record of a certain type of posting style but his points specific to this player were IMO fair (the player doesnt have senior experience) and he didn't deserve to be berated by so many posters.

1 minute ago, sparky12 said:

How much 'actual football' had Khadra got before he signed? Honestly don't know the answer but i'm guessing not much more. 

I'd say his lack of first team minutes are more coincidental of his coming of age coinciding with somewhat of a turbulent period for Spurs. His lack of loan minutes more than likely mismanagement/insurance incase the 1st team had a spate of injuries or the like. Correct me if i'm wrong but Butterworth is older and also hasn't been on loan anywhere or had many 1st team minutes. 

The fact the lad wasn't happy with the prospect of staying at a 'big club' being loaned out until he was 25 or sitting on the bench never really establishing himself shows he has great character and wants to make a success of himself. We should be celebrating that seeing as it's that hunger that has got us where we are at the moment. 

Minimal again, very similar, I think one cameo v City. My point is that we have barely any clue as to how these players will adapt to senior football, how long it will take or if it will ever happen. That is a valid point, the minimal football is objective and factual, it is IMO poor form to dismiss those genuine concerns and questions as blind negativity.

Khadra merely proved that like with Markanday, that a player yet to play first team football doesn't mean a poor signing or that he can't go on and thrive, and that hasn't been said. And that is certainly not a point I am making.

I take on board and share many of the positive points made, he is highly rated, Spurs wanted to keep him, it is a long term deal, he seems hungry etc. 

A couple of points on the Markanday signing:

Kudos to Rovers for the price they paid, Levy is a monster in negotiations and rarely gets seen off

Spurs are reasonably well stocked in the forward positions and are currently pursuing Traore, pushing the youngsters further back in the queue.

So understandable that he sees first team opportunities as hard to come by at Spurs.

• Like 3