BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

29 minutes ago, Russ said:

I could think of worse loans to add a bit of quality for the run in.

For my money Harvey and Armstrong were both very poor at defending from the front. 

I believe we are much better now. And think the young attacker we brought in may well be a more versatile all round player, after having experience at playing left back as well as on the wing and up front. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

And Dack could slot into the role vacated by Buckley very nicely.

Dack is a great goal scorer but he cannot supply the regular brilliant passes that Buckley does. Nor can he nick the ball away from the opposition like JB does.

Two different types of player.

Edit.  Oh I see what you mean. Playing in the hole is Dack's position and JB is currently being played out of position.

Edited by bazza
  • Like 5

Rothwell has said in the last couple of days that he's never enjoyed his football as much as he is now.

Surely the means he doesn't want to go provided we pay him what he thinks he's worth.

I've no idea what he's asking for but, if is anything like reasonable, we should conclude a new deal with him?

If we go up, salaries will all rise anyway.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, 47er said:

Rothwell has said in the last couple of days that he's never enjoyed his football as much as he is now.

Surely the means he doesn't want to go provided we pay him what he thinks he's worth.

I've no idea what he's asking for but, if is anything like reasonable, we should conclude a new deal with him?

If we go up, salaries will all rise anyway.

I don't know why we can't offer contracts with big incentives for promotion. 

• Like 4

Whoever suggested Louie Sibley, that’s a great shout. Great player, and only 20.

Looks like Millwall are trying hard for him. 4th bid of 450k rejected. 
Same type of money as the O’Reilly, same age as Markandy. Ticks all box’s, and he is a box to box player, could play the Travis role. Should be all over that.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Whoever suggested Louie Sibley, that’s a great shout. Great player, and only 20.

Looks like Millwall are trying hard for him. 4th bid of 450k rejected. 
Same type of money as the O’Reilly, same age as Markandy. Ticks all box’s, and he is a box to box player, could play the Travis role. Should be all over that.

I’m pretty sure Sibley is a more attacking flair player no?

May be wrong. But feel like there’s other positions which are a greater priority.

Edited by TruRover

2 minutes ago, TruRover said:

I’m pretty sure Sibley is a more attacking flair player no?

May be wrong. But feel like there’s other positions which are a greater priority.

An injury to one of the three midfielders, specifically Rothwell or Travis then we are in trouble. I don’t want to see Johnson again. 

With Maglorie following Carter out on loan, I have to imagine we will line up an CB to come in to provide depth.  Currently we only have 4 CB for the 3 on the pitch.  Naymbe can provide cover if needed, but with him and Lenihan out of contract, and JPVH set to return at the end of the year, it would make sense to bring someone in on a permanent basis. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CambridgeRover said:

I am surprised no one has come in with a serious offer for Rothwell at this point?  Touch wood, but I thought someone would come in and snap him up. 

Agreed it's weird. He's had a superb season and is a key part of our team. You'd think Fulham, Bournemouth, West Brom etc would take him just to destabilise us as well as get a proven Championship player.

The key thing is probably the promotion bonus that Venkys have offered. Worth £700k I think for a near ever present based on reports. That's equivalent to £15k a week for a year! They're probably being paid around £5k a week at the moment.

So for Nyambe, Rothwell, Lenihan that's massive. I guess they may have told their agent they want to stay so they get a shot at that, then can still get the same sort of contract from a new employer if they move in the summer.  It's not like moving now gets a bigger contract.

Makes sense if you think of it that way. They lose nothing waiting till summer and have a crack at a massive life changing lump sum (3 years wages).

That bonus is probably the smartest thing Venkys have done since they bought us.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, yankfan said:

With Maglorie following Carter out on loan, I have to imagine we will line up an CB to come in to provide depth.  Currently we only have 4 CB for the 3 on the pitch.  Naymbe can provide cover if needed, but with him and Lenihan out of contract, and JPVH set to return at the end of the year, it would make sense to bring someone in on a permanent basis. 

Liam Moore would be perfect

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Agreed it's weird. He's had a superb season and is a key part of our team. You'd think Fulham, Bournemouth, West Brom etc would take him just to destabilise us as well as get a proven Championship player.

The key thing is probably the promotion bonus that Venkys have offered. Worth £700k I think for a near ever present based on reports. That's equivalent to £15k a week for a year! They're probably being paid around £5k a week at the moment.

So for Nyambe, Rothwell, Lenihan that's massive. I guess they may have told their agent they want to stay so they get a shot at that, then can still get the same sort of contract from a new employer if they move in the summer.  It's not like moving now gets a bigger contract.

Makes sense if you think of it that way. They lose nothing waiting till summer and have a crack at a massive life changing lump sum (3 years wages).

That bonus is probably the smartest thing Venkys have done since they bought us.

I'd guess only a side wanting to destabilize us would make an offer as others would just wait to get him on a free in half a year.  Very surprise he hasn't gotten a pre-contract offer from the SPL.  He could agree to such a deal, and get his bonus if we win promotion.  Further, Rangers or whoever, could offer higher wages since they wouldn't have to pay a fee.  

Edited by yankfan

15 minutes ago, yankfan said:

I'd guess only a side wanting to destabilize us would make an offer as others would just wait to get him on a free in half a year.  Very surprise he hasn't gotten a pre-contract offer from the SPL.  He could agree to such a deal, and get his bonus if we win promotion.  Further, Rangers or whoever, could offer higher wages since they wouldn't have to pay a fee.  

There may be a clause in the bonus that you don't get it if you sign a pre contract. I'm sure there would be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

If Rovers had any sense the bonuses would only take effect for players still under contract after the start of next season so that the out of contract 3 would need  to sign a new deal to be eligible.

The deals could also incorporate a hefty increase in the event of promotion.

• Like 4

Rovers won’t abandon their prudent approach to spending despite being in promotion contention with 20 games remaining.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19857095.blackburn-rovers-right-prudent-says-tony-mowbray/

Asked of his recent contact with the owners, Mowbray said: “Suhail talks to the owners every single day and I talk to Suhail every single day so there’s a very direct line through a conduit.

“Suhail had a big part in me joining this club, my relationship with him is very strong.

“I hope there’s a strong trust there between us.

“Indirectly, as opposed to speaking to them directly, I speak to them on a daily basis.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers won’t abandon their prudent approach to spending despite being in promotion contention with 20 games remaining.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19857095.blackburn-rovers-right-prudent-says-tony-mowbray/

Asked of his recent contact with the owners, Mowbray said: “Suhail talks to the owners every single day and I talk to Suhail every single day so there’s a very direct line through a conduit.

“Suhail had a big part in me joining this club, my relationship with him is very strong.

“Indirectly, as opposed to speaking to them directly, I speak to them on a daily basis.”

It’s good that lines of communication have been established but I don’t understand why tony has to tell suhail who then relays second hand information to the owners when a phone call, text or Skype/zoom call would suffice and cuts out any misunderstandings etc

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well that puts to bed another myth peddled on here that only face to face talks with M Desai in Pune would free up transfer funds, clearly not true. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If Rovers had any sense the bonuses would only take effect for players still under contract after the start of next season so that the out of contract 3 would need  to sign a new deal to be eligible.

The deals could also incorporate a hefty increase in the event of promotion.

Yes that would make sense. Wonder why they didn't do it that way? Or maybe they did and the players are taking the approach of waiting and will sign one game before the end of season if we are going to be promoted.

All speculation, but feasible. Anyway the basic point of the huge bonus meaning those players intend to stay is the key point which seems totally valid.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

A couple of interesting takeaways from those comments for me:
1) Despite saying an awful lot there, a the base of it all is admission from Mowbray that he has no direct communication with the owners in India. This is important. Mowbray tries to cover for that important fact by adding Suhail into the mix and claiming that through Suhail he has 'direct' access to the owners. That isn't true. If you go through someone else then you don't have direct access.

Now normally that would not be an issue. I wouldn't expect many managers in the top 2 divisions to be able to pick up the phone and go direct to the majority shareholders. 

In our case there has been a noticeable shift in how things are done over the last 18 months and that, I believe, coincides with Mowbray losing his direct link to India and instead having to go through Suhail.

2) Admission from Mowbray that Suhail had a 'big part' in him joining the club. I think this is the first time there has been public acceptance from a senior figure at Rovers that Suhail is and was central to major appointments. I remember when Suhail's job was advertised and described basically as a link to smooth communications with India. I don't remember the job advertisement including responsibility for recruiting managers.

Some might be reassured by this, others unsettled by it. I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing having a Venky representative on the ground alongside the manager and keeping him in check but I would wonder how on earth someone like Suhail (footballing background?) came across Mowbray and what the process was leading to that appointment.

I've heard it several times before that Suhail is 'Balaji's man' and I also think it is important that Mowbray does not specify which of the owners Suhail is in 'direct' contact with. 

My point for many years has been that the only route to getting serious stuff done is by going to Mr and Mrs Desai. I think Mowbray knows this which is why he jumped on a plane to go and meet them in India and other managers have done the same. I don't think it is a coincidence that shortly after those visits to India Mowbray was able to spend considerable sums of money on players, whereas in recent seasons it has been a few hundred grand here and there. I suspect this is cash that Suhail has persuaded Balaji to put in from his spending money.

Edited by JHRover

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

It’s good that lines of communication have been established but I don’t understand why tony has to tell suhail who then relays second hand information to the owners when a phone call, text or Skype/zoom call would suffice and cuts out any misunderstandings etc

I think it's more a face of someone they trust the judgement of financially. Tony says he wants to sign a player for £2million, they see it as a manager who wants players, and Suhail is their man to talk it through with and make sure it makes sense from a business aspect maybe? More importantly if TM talks to Venky's through Suhail, does our CEO do the same?

I find it interesting that Mowbray doesn't deal direct with the owners but rather their lackey and he hasn't (not reported anyway) yet had any discussions about new contract for him.

It's been said that the owners don't like giving bad news themselves. I wonder if the direct lines of communication between them and Mowbray have been cut off for a reason.

• Like 1