BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

6 minutes ago, Neal said:

they should have developed him instead of wasting his talent, he has ability beyond this level. Offer me Fred or Rothwell and I certainly wouldn't be picking Fred. 

United offered him a new contract, he turned it down (ironically) and joined Oxford.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would I be disappointed if we have funds to sign new players?

And how do you know how much we have?

Please can I have the interview whereby Mowbray has said that we "need" to sell one of 3?

He has repeatedly said that he wants all 3 to stay. If he sells, then its obviously because the reinvestment could not have been done without that sale.

1) Because you keep claiming the owners don't give the manager enough money for players. They must have being doing something right as we were in FFP difficulties in summer.

2) Something I've heard. If true I would say the amount in question is decent and I'll be questioning why the manager didn't spend it this window. Plus, don't forget, the owners have also committed to £10m plus in player bonuses if we go up.

3) Someone else referred to an interview where TM had allegedly said someone might be sold, I haven't seen that one.  In a previous interview he said supporters wouldn't expect the team to be broken up so who knows what he's thinking or can believe a word that comes out of his mouth?

To be fair I wouldn't want him broadcasting we have some money available if indeed it is so available so hopefully this is just an attempt to keep the price for targets down.

12 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I think if Derby need to sell players the likes of Sibley, Bird, Knight and Buchanan we should be all over it, especially if we can get for significant low fees. Very talented footballers.

That being said, I hope they get their house in order, historic club, and fans dont deserve whats happening there

First paragraph agree entirely.

Second paragraph, strongly disagree couldn't care less about any other Club.

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

United offered him a new contract, he turned it down (ironically) and joined Oxford.

which is exactly my point, he obviously didn't see a pathway ahead of him despite their centre midfield has been dire and have wasted millions on it. A lad of his ability could of stepped up given more opportunity. 

11 minutes ago, Neal said:

they should have developed him instead of wasting his talent, he has ability beyond this level. Offer me Fred or Rothwell and I certainly wouldn't be picking Fred. 

If you mean from the angle of potential, yeh ok quite possibly. Not sure who is to blame for Rothwell not reaching that potential though but I'd have to most squarely point the finger at Mr Rothwell. United, Oxford and ourselves having all failed to get the most out of him suggests it isn't the clubs. Although I do think we could have done more with him in his time here.

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Didn't know that. So he basically a one-contract player (think he has only had one here?) who loves to fuck off on a free. Maybe we were never keeping him. Wonder if his agent is an ass.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes, because obviously Rothwell was a key member of their first X1 at that point.

Boring.

Have you considered;

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

So he basically a one-contract player (think he has only had one here?) who loves to fuck off on a free. Maybe we were never keeping him. Wonder if his agent is an ass.

Maybe it’s better for his remuneration? 

1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said:

I am surprised no one has come in with a serious offer for Rothwell at this point?  Touch wood, but I thought someone would come in and snap him up. 

I think the Premier League clubs won't be convinced yet of spending a sizeable fee given he's 26 years old and, perhaps, had his first consistent half season. Remember, last year, he was a squad player, playing behind Trybull and, even, Downing, at times.

Fulham, Bournemouth, WBA and Glasgow Rangers et al would obviously take him but know that Rovers would ask for a large sum, if they even agreed to sell. Perhaps, only Fulham could pay up and, as mentioned, they're scoring for fun as is.

I think we're probably going to see our best attacking central midfielder since Cairney/David Dunn(?) for another 4 months or so before he goes for free.

Edit: That said, I agree with your allusion that an astute club would do well to gamble on him. His late development as a first teamer are, I think, down to confusion about his best position and, also, perhaps, a lack of the natural confidence of Dack or Brereton. However, he seems to have found his groove now.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, riverholmes said:

I think the Premier League clubs won't be convinced yet of spending a sizeable fee given he's 26 years old and, perhaps, had his first consistent half season. Remember, last year, he was a squad player, playing behind Trybull and, even, Downing, at times.

Fulham, Bournemouth, WBA and Glasgow Rangers et al would obviously take him but know that Rovers would ask for a large sum, if they even agreed to sell. Perhaps, only Fulham could pay up and, as mentioned, they're scoring for fun as is.

I think we're probably going to see our best attacking central midfielder since David Dunn(?) for another 4 months or so before he goes for free.

I think John Buckley will slot nicely into that role next season and Rothwell (should he leave) will never be spoken of again! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Neal said:

which is exactly my point, he obviously didn't see a pathway ahead of him despite their centre midfield has been dire and have wasted millions on it. A lad of his ability could of stepped up given more opportunity. 

You really believe rothwell could have been a mainstay in uniteds midfield . I don’t know who they had in there 6/7 years ago and what kids along with rothwell got let go etc but he isn’t and will never be that good . The likes of Newcastle , Watford, Everton, Brighton, palace would be all over him now if he was. I rate the lad and he’s invaluable to us but he’s a bottom half squad player at best in a prem side. He has quality but you can’t give the ball away in the middle  and dither at times in front of goal and needs far more output to be considered anything more at this stage. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think John Buckley will slot nicely into that role next season and Rothwell (should he leave) will never be spoken of again! 

I don’t doubt his potential to do so but it’s more a case of if he replaces rothwell who replaces him because we need both desperately to stay injury free 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

1) Because you keep claiming the owners don't give the manager enough money for players. They must have being doing something right as we were in FFP difficulties in summer.

2) Something I've heard. If true I would say the amount in question is decent and I'll be questioning why the manager didn't spend it this window. Plus, don't forget, the owners have also committed to £10m plus in player bonuses if we go up.

3) Someone else referred to an interview where TM had allegedly said someone might be sold, I haven't seen that one.  In a previous interview he said supporters wouldn't expect the team to be broken up so who knows what he's thinking or can believe a word that comes out of his mouth?

To be fair I wouldn't want him broadcasting we have some money available if indeed it is so available so hopefully this is just an attempt to keep the price for targets down.

Doesnt explain why I would be "disappointed" if we was to strengthen.

Heard from where? So what you are saying is youve heard gossip of a decent budget and if it doesnt materialise, you will presume that the information was correct, that nothing changed and it was just managerial incompetent that stopped the rumour from materialising? Fair enough.

He often talks about the idea of selling a player and using the money to grow. He also repeatedly reiterates how we wants to keep all of our best players. I wouldnt over analyse every word he utters.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I think we're probably going to see our best attacking central midfielder since Cairney/David Dunn(?) for another 4 months or so before he goes for free.

Flog him to Fulham and get Cairney in with the deal.  That would do me. Some coin to us too.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley could not do what Rothwell has been doing to the same degree. Different players.

I was going to say that but couldn't arsed wirh the abuse.  There's not many can go past players like JR., you can definitely see his upbringing at united. Very technical and gifted like most of their youngsters.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Flog him to Fulham and get Cairney in with the deal.  That would do me. Some coin to us too.

How on earth could anyone expect us to sell someone with 4 months contract and get a key player of a rival, who’s contracted for another 2 years, and probably on more than our most expensive player…

With a transfer fee too?

Come on sparks, this isn’t realistic 

Just now, JBiz said:

How on earth could anyone expect us to sell someone with 4 months contract and get a key player of a rival, who’s contracted for another 2 years, and probably on more than our most expensive player…

With a transfer fee too?

Come on sparks, this isn’t realistic 

I hadn't looked too closely into it mate...sorry.  just a thought.

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

I hadn't looked too closely into it mate...sorry.  just a thought.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be made up if TC returned in his prime but I just can’t see how it’s possible 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be made up if TC returned in his prime but I just can’t see how it’s possible 

Sell JR to Fulham in Jan and get TC on loan as part of the deal with a view to a purchase if we go up.....if we don't he goes back....possibly? Fulham get JR secured and we get a player who is as good until the end of season.

Edited by Sparks Rover

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley could not do what Rothwell has been doing to the same degree. Different players.

And the unit we have works with both of them. I'm not sure how we fill that void if Rothwell goes tbh. Would the MK Dons lad be too similar to Buckley for it to work, or would two players of that kind make our transition passing even better? Rothwell is great for offering something different that can be deployed when the passes aren't penetrating,  plus keeps them on their toes about what we are gonna do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

And Dack could slot into the role vacated by Buckley very nicely.