BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I find it interesting that Mowbray doesn't deal direct with the owners but rather their lackey and he hasn't (not reported anyway) yet had any discussions about new contract for him.

It's been said that the owners don't like giving bad news themselves. I wonder if the direct lines of communication between them and Mowbray have been cut off for a reason.

At least after a decade they have finally moved away from homing pigeons and annual fly bys. Football is a day to day business and requires constant communication between parties to enable smooth running of the club.

On TMs contract, I'm glad we're not rushing into one. We have on the whole flattered to decieve at times since promotion and have lacked consistency and we need to display these traits to get promoted. If we make say the play offs as a minimum, then I'm sure they will offer him oneband this also strengthens TMs bargaining position.

1 minute ago, Ulrich said:

At least after a decade they have finally moved away from homing pigeons and annual fly bys. Football is a day to day business and requires constant communication between parties to enable smooth running of the club.

On TMs contract, I'm glad we're not rushing into one. We have on the whole flattered to decieve at times since promotion and have lacked consistency and we need to display these traits to get promoted. If we make say the play offs as a minimum, then I'm sure they will offer him oneband this also strengthens TMs bargaining position.

A 12 month rolling contract would be my guess

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

1) Despite saying an awful lot there, a the base of it all is admission from Mowbray that he has no direct communication with the owners in India. This is important. Mowbray tries to cover for that important fact by adding Suhail into the mix and claiming that through Suhail he has 'direct' access to the owners. That isn't true. If you go through someone else then you don't have direct access.

Now normally that would not be an issue. I wouldn't expect many managers in the top 2 divisions to be able to pick up the phone and go direct to the majority shareholders. 

In our case there has been a noticeable shift in how things are done over the last 18 months and that, I believe, coincides with Mowbray losing his direct link to India and instead having to go through Suhail

Haven't plenty of people said time after time that Mowbray shouldn't have direct contact with the owners and go through Waggott or Suhail?

2) Admission from Mowbray that Suhail had a 'big part' in him joining the club. I think this is the first time there has been public acceptance from a senior figure at Rovers that Suhail is and was central to major appointments. I remember when Suhail's job was advertised and described basically as a link to smooth communications with India. I don't remember the job advertisement including responsibility for recruiting managers.

Some might be reassured by this, others unsettled by it. I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing having a Venky representative on the ground alongside the manager and keeping him in check but I would wonder how on earth someone like Suhail (footballing background?) came across Mowbray and what the process was leading to that appointment.

He has been around the club for few years now since Bowyer last season here. He is Venkys man for the club

I've heard it several times before that Suhail is 'Balaji's man' and I also think it is important that Mowbray does not specify which of the owners Suhail is in 'direct' contact with. 

My point for many years has been that the only route to getting serious stuff done is by going to Mr and Mrs Desai. I think Mowbray knows this which is why he jumped on a plane to go and meet them in India and other managers have done the same. I don't think it is a coincidence that shortly after those visits to India Mowbray was able to spend considerable sums of money on players, whereas in recent seasons it has been a few hundred grand here and there. I suspect this is cash that Suhail has persuaded Balaji to put in from his spending money.

It has been posted on here by a couple of posters that Suhail and Babu are Balaji 'right hand men' who help him run his businesses. 

Doesn't Balaji have loads of money himself?

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I find it interesting that Mowbray doesn't deal direct with the owners but rather their lackey and he hasn't (not reported anyway) yet had any discussions about new contract for him.

It's been said that the owners don't like giving bad news themselves. I wonder if the direct lines of communication between them and Mowbray have been cut off for a reason.

I feel confident that should we have had an average>poor season then he was gone at the end of the season. The cutting of contact was pre-empting that. It'll be very interesting to see what the summer brings, regardless of which division we are in.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Well that puts to bed another myth peddled on here that only face to face talks with M Desai in Pune would free up transfer funds, clearly not true. 

Though why would you advertise if you had money to spend ? (not saying we have money to spend, but look how Newcastle have been forced into over spending on average forwards 🙂 )

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

That depends- who the hell is Tom Barclay?

Don't know who he is, but the ones he has quoted as getting his info from are very reliable. I'd say that's deal done.

Just on SSN before that Watford are signing a winger from Bordeaux and highlighted just how dire the financial situation is there. Doesn't sound like it'd take very much to get Maja if we did revisit it this month.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

A couple of interesting takeaways from those comments for me:
1) Despite saying an awful lot there, a the base of it all is admission from Mowbray that he has no direct communication with the owners in India. This is important. Mowbray tries to cover for that important fact by adding Suhail into the mix and claiming that through Suhail he has 'direct' access to the owners. That isn't true. If you go through someone else then you don't have direct access.

Now normally that would not be an issue. I wouldn't expect many managers in the top 2 divisions to be able to pick up the phone and go direct to the majority shareholders. 

In our case there has been a noticeable shift in how things are done over the last 18 months and that, I believe, coincides with Mowbray losing his direct link to India and instead having to go through Suhail.

2) Admission from Mowbray that Suhail had a 'big part' in him joining the club. I think this is the first time there has been public acceptance from a senior figure at Rovers that Suhail is and was central to major appointments. I remember when Suhail's job was advertised and described basically as a link to smooth communications with India. I don't remember the job advertisement including responsibility for recruiting managers.

Some might be reassured by this, others unsettled by it. I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing having a Venky representative on the ground alongside the manager and keeping him in check but I would wonder how on earth someone like Suhail (footballing background?) came across Mowbray and what the process was leading to that appointment.

I've heard it several times before that Suhail is 'Balaji's man' and I also think it is important that Mowbray does not specify which of the owners Suhail is in 'direct' contact with. 

My point for many years has been that the only route to getting serious stuff done is by going to Mr and Mrs Desai. I think Mowbray knows this which is why he jumped on a plane to go and meet them in India and other managers have done the same. I don't think it is a coincidence that shortly after those visits to India Mowbray was able to spend considerable sums of money on players, whereas in recent seasons it has been a few hundred grand here and there. I suspect this is cash that Suhail has persuaded Balaji to put in from his spending money.

Suhail who allegedly had links/worked with, the agency of you know who.  You know who whose agency whose offshoots company had clients named Lambert, Coyle and Mowbray.

It's interesting to say the least how certain dots always seem to join still.  

There'll  be a contract for Tony if he wants one i think there always was it's probably just down to him how long he fancies it for that's been the holding off reason. 

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Just on SSN before that Watford are signing a winger from Bordeaux and highlighted just how dire the financial situation is there. Doesn't sound like it'd take very much to get Maja if we did revisit it this month.

Last day £2M bid and bring him home. 

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Wouldnt make sense, not least in that our current formation wouldnt fit them all in.

Screenshot_20220119-130712_Twitter.jpg

Wonder if Dolan’s hamstring injury is more severe than being made out.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Where does he fit into our team though?

Agreed. We have enough winger / wide forward types. Unless it's a true CF then I don't see the point in this one.

And if we did go up, from what I've read from their fans, he certainly isn't anywhere near good enough for the PL.

• Like 1