BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 minutes ago, slowmo said:

Yes if done quickly and 20 mill was available for transfers . If most money not reinvented then no 

I wouldn't trust Mowbray with 20 m8ll to spend! We'd need players that can come in and hit the ground running but he'd be looking at players that may(or may not) come good in a few years 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, slowmo said:

Yes if done quickly and 20 mill was available for transfers . If most money not reinvented then no 

Pretty much what I was thinking - If done by this weekend with 15/20m cleared to reinvest in the squad i'd take it.

Highly unlikely, I imagine they'll make a move for him near the end of the window, if at all - in which case i'd tell them to scram.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I wouldn't trust Mowbray with 20 m8ll to spend! We'd need players that can come in and hit the ground running but he'd be looking at players that may(or may not) come good in a few years 

I think you are mistaken Mowbray's personal preference to the policy set in place by the club. A new manager would have the same restrictions. 

Amazing how a few off matches changes peoples perception of Diaz - a few matches ago people were saying they wouldn't sell full stop. Personally I feel every player has a price - but one thing I do like about Diaz - even when not playing at his best he still puts in the effort, still makes the runs and still tries to motivate the team. You have to ask what price team morale ?

• Like 4

Shocker from Mowbray & company to give SG a brand new contract…. first he bought him on loan then still signed him then extended his contract…. 

Would Deff Sell for 25 plus if a bid comes in …..

It’s obvious Mowbray has his favourites … Why Have Devonport & Johnson if you not going to play them even in emergencies….. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Shocker from Mowbray & company to give SG a brand new contract…. first he bought him on loan then still signed him then extended his contract…. 

Would Deff Sell for 25 plus if a bid comes in …..

It’s obvious Mowbray has his favourites … Why Have Devonport & Johnson if you not going to play them even in emergencies….. 

Pretty sure Coyle bought Gallagher in originally on loan.

Agree with the rest though.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, slowmo said:

Wait till the summer, BBD is the only one scoring goals and TM would probably bring in Healy for 5-6m and he'll turn out to be SG mk2.

1 hour ago, neophox said:

West Ham may pay £28,5m for Brereton Diaz......would you sell?

Not sure we'd have any other choice but to sell for that.

The idea, surely, is that we buy players to sell for a profit further down the line?

Use the profits to be compliant with FFP and reinvesting/improving the squad. 

Mowbray was rabbiting on in his last press conference again about copying Brentford - that is to buy cheap, develop and sell high.

Meanwhile Armstrong was sold on the cheap and Brereton, Rothwell, Lenihan, Travis, Buckley, Kaminski and others are out of contract within 18 months.

And he manages to do it with a straight face.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Not sure we'd have any other choice but to sell for that.

The idea, surely, is that we buy players to sell for a profit further down the line?

Use the profits to be compliant with FFP and reinvesting/improving the squad. 

Ordinarily I’d agree wholeheartedly, but somehow we have a chance of promotion. The training ground sale and Armstrong have kicked the FFP can a fair way down the road, and promotion gives us far better long term benefits than the current trading model.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 1

We should be going all out for promotion for now whilst we have a chance. The rebuilding of the club will move to the next level with even just a season in the Prem.

You can never get away from thinking some there would just prefer to be sat in midtable trying to develop to sell to survive.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray was rabbiting on in his last press conference again about copying Brentford - that is to buy cheap, develop and sell high.

Meanwhile Armstrong was sold on the cheap and Brereton, Rothwell, Lenihan, Travis, Buckley, Kaminski and others are out of contract within 18 months.

And he manages to do it with a straight face.

Buckley is under contract until June 2024 with the club holding an option of a further year. 

We also have a year option in Travis contract, have him protected until June 2024

Edited by islander200

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Buckley is under contract until June 2024 with the club holding an option of a further year. 

We also have a year option in Travis contract, have him protected until June 2024

Is that supposed to make me feel better about the situation?

I can't help but think these 'year options' that Waggott loves to use are actually becoming a hindrance. It appears to me the club treats those options as a route to force players to stay for another year on the same salary and in doing so jeopardise chances of those players signing up for the longer term albeit on better wages.

What I mean by this is in Rothwell's case - 12-18 months ago we could have offered him a pay rise and a new 3-4 year deal and he might well have committed. Instead we did nothing, relying on the 12 months option to compel him to stay but now we are 12 months on - still no new contract and looking like being serious money out of pocket.

Players will not see activating a 12 month option as an act of a club keen to keep them long term. Players will see proactive clubs offering them 3-4 year deals as looking long term. A 12 month extension is activated if I was an agent I would be advising my player to start looking elsewhere for next summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

I can't help but think these 'year options' that Waggott loves to use are actually becoming a hindrance. It appears to me the club treats those options as a route to force players to stay for another year on the same salary and in doing so jeopardise chances of those players signing up for the longer term albeit on better wages.

What I mean by this is in Rothwell's case - 12-18 months ago we could have offered him a pay rise and a new 3-4 year deal and he might well have committed. Instead we did nothing, relying on the 12 months option to compel him to stay but now we are 12 months on - still no new contract and looking like being serious money out of pocket.

Players will not see activating a 12 month option as an act of a club keen to keep them long term. Players will see proactive clubs offering them 3-4 year deals as looking long term. A 12 month extension is activated if I was an agent I would be advising my player to start looking elsewhere for next summer.

Buckley did get a four year deal as did Travis 3+1 years.

18 months ago Rothwell wasn't a regular.

I get what you are saying but you also can't argue that the club have been burned lots of times since coming down ,by giving out long contracts that we have ended up having to pay off.

Did you not complain like the rest of us when we paid Mulgrews wage for 2 years without him contributing?

2 hours ago, neophox said:

I think In any other circumstance I’d bite there hand off. Depends if it could be re invested in time for the window closing and how confident tony is in markanday but bb is not worth that much and only our league position and lack of goal scoring options is making me say no

I am now in the land of wide awake after last nights dross -I am convinced totally now that Gally and BBD cannot play together they just do not complement each each other on the park there is no communication and neither reads each other’s game. butterworth should have been given a chance he is fast dynamic and can pick a pass -furthermore Rovers had many options to put out an attacking team but Mowbray failed to realise this. We will now see what this Rovers side is made of on Monday because boro will come to win - a destructive midfielder is needed urgently 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Ordinarily I’d agree wholeheartedly, but somehow we have a chance of promotion. The training ground sale and Armstrong have kicked the FFP can a fair way down the road, and promotion gives us far better long term benefits than the current trading model.

Agreed, this is a different situation due to the position we currently sit.

Obviously we should be doing everything we can to capitalise on the chance we have right now, so selling BBD in January doesn't align with that. 

Overall though, I do believe that's how we should be operating, it's a cop out to say "the Brentford model" but essentially that is it. 

Our set up hasn't been and probably still isn't good enough to operate in that way though.

• Like 1

I know he is a figure head of our good form, but being completely emotionless, if you are going to sell you sell high. I am not sure that Ben's form will continue the rest of the season. Especially if we go on a bit of a Mowbray spiral. So selling now for anything around £25 million would be too good to turn down. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think you are taking the word "striker" too literally. There is absolutely no reason why a striker couldn't fit into the current formation which we would be crazy to ditch. As long as he is the right type of striker, ie someone with pace who could offer us a goal threat that only Brereton does from the current crop, then we could fit another striker without a formation revamp.

Not at all. So by your opinion would Maja or Healey be able to play the role and how we play our strikers well enough as Khadra and Brereton have? Given that both are main centre strikers and IMO wouldn't fit how we play our strikers. 

I think we need to change formation like last night when we need an extra midfielder and should have taken off Rankin Costello off. 

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Mowbray saying Travis 'has a chance' for Boro, he's ill? Surely he'll be OK by Monday night. If he ain't then he simply must start Davenport or Johnson.

Travis should be back and fit. What was the illness?

But if he not fit then play Davenport. 

3 hours ago, neophox said:

no! tell them to come back in the summer if we don't get promote. 

41 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I am now in the land of wide awake after last nights dross -I am convinced totally now that Gally and BBD cannot play together they just do not complement each each other on the park there is no communication and neither reads each other’s game. butterworth should have been given a chance he is fast dynamic and can pick a pass -furthermore Rovers had many options to put out an attacking team but Mowbray failed to realise this. We will now see what this Rovers side is made of on Monday because boro will come to win - a destructive midfielder is needed urgently 

I think if Gallagher and Brereton played you need a pacey centre player like Dolan like we had at the start of the season when we beat Swansea and Cardiff. But if Brereton is playing as the centre player with Gallagher on the right it won't work. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Been thinking about this and im wondering how offering a +1 year option in the clubs favour is a bad thing?

We should give them only 3 year contracts?A 4 year deal and a 3+1 deal are the same thing from the players prospective.The only difference it makes is protection for the club if the player doesn't perform in their initial 2/3 years and the club doesn't want to keep them on. 

If Rothwell had signed a 3 year contract rather than a 2+1 he would still be heading for a free transfer in the summer.

Brereton £28.5 mill??? 

This would need to be considered, especially if Venkys sanctioned just half of that this window to be spent.

Brereton plays mainly on the left, and although this system has worked, we still dont have that out and out striker down the middle. The lad at Hull last night (Eaves) caused us so many issues with his pure presence and strength. When you look we had a Gallagher on the pitch, Eaves gave him a footballing lesson of how you play target man. Gallagher is purely not good enough, never has been, and never likely to be.

Options..

Gayle from Newcastle, proven at this level and a loan to perm or even £3 or £4 million, gets you a central striker.

Maja or Healey or both in addition to Gayle. Thats 3 strikers, all with goals in them with a combined cost of less than £10 million.

With money on hip, im sure lots more options out there, and tapping them options up now, whilst we haven't sold Brereton, would be the wise move to ensure no inflated figure.

We are reliant on Brereton right now, but now missing for two games. We needed a proven Striker in the summer, still need one now, and thats with Brereton. Teams know our threat, and if they nulify Breretons threat, we end up with performances like the last three matches.

We are third in the table,  with the £15 million from Armstrong miraculously disappeared. The scenario is, if we dont go up they will sell Brereton in the summer, and just like Armstrong the money will not be reinvested. I struggle to see if they sell in January how they can justify not reinvesting half of it.

That being said, any deal would need doing within the next week, because if we go into transfer deadline day and he is still here, the club will have the ready made excuse it moved quickly and they couldnt get a replacement in.

We are in a fantastic position in the table, but are thin on the ground with quality options. A promotion team needs 4 or 5 players scoring double figures. We are always one injury away from bust (Brereton gets injured). Players will genuinely want to join a promotion chasing team, we need to use our league position to our advantage, be that reinvest the Armstrong money, or sell a major asset to reinvest in quality proven players at this level, in this window.

I don't think the numbers being quoted on Brereton are likely though, he's had in essense 4 stunning months in the championship, from the buying clubs perspective thats a tough business case to make to stump up £20 mill plus

Clubs will be looking at Mitrovic too, an international player, scores for fun in the Championship, but struggles premier league. Genuinely how many have made the step up from championsip to premiership and continued to be 20 plus strikers? Also of them, how many were bought for big fees?

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 2