BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

38 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Wonder if Dolan’s hamstring injury is more severe than being made out.

If we get a couple of more attacking players in, I wouldn't totally surprised to see a deadline day loan move for Dolan. He's got lots of talent but he's very raw still. I don't think he's ready for first team football at a club challenging for promotion. 

Hedges to replace Dolan, Healey to replace Armstrong. But 26 year olds from the Scottish league and the second division of French football don't thrill me with confidence. 

Edited by rovers11
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Agreed. We have enough winger / wide forward types. Unless it's a true CF then I don't see the point in this one.

And if we did go up, from what I've read from their fans, he certainly isn't anywhere near good enough for the PL.

Definitely. We need an out and out striker who can help to take the goalscoring burden off Brereton, especially ahead of next week ideally.

Gallagher is not the best, and the likes of Khadra and Dolan are players that can compliment Brereton well and chip in, but we need another constant source of goals. Markanday is obviously an unknown quantity at this stage who can hopefully have a big impact but again, no track record of goalscoring and he is only slight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

He’s a right side forward coming onto his left foot. Provides more options….we have a lot of those now but that’s a good thing, right? 

If the budget is minimal perhaps be better singing players for positions we don't have lots of options for?

We will have Dolan, Khedra, Gallagher, Markanday, Hedges, and a striker if the rumours we are in for one are true all competing to play alongside Brererton.

A goalscorer, centre midfielder, Centre back and sub goalkeeper should be a priority before adding another winger/wide forward imo.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

If we get a couple of more attacking players in, I wouldn't totally surprised to see a deadline day loan move for Dolan. He's got lots of talent but he's very raw still. I don't think he's ready for first team football at a club challenging for promotion. 

Hedges to replace Dolan, Healey to replace Armstrong. But 26 year olds from the Scottish league and the second division of French football don't thrill me with confidence. 

I don't see Dolan being sold or loaned, he's a proper Mowbray type. If he was at another club and we signed him we'd be pleased. Time will tell though!

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

If the budget is minimal perhaps be better singing players for positions we don't have lots of options for?

We will have Dolan, Khedra, Gallagher, Markanday, Hedges, and a striker if the rumours we are in for one are true all competing to play alongside Brererton.

A goalscorer, centre midfielder, Centre back and sub goalkeeper should be a priority before adding another winger/wide forward imo.

Agree with the latter, however it seems to be coming clearer by the day the budget isn't as limited as first made out!

13 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

He’s a right side forward coming onto his left foot. Provides more options….we have a lot of those now but that’s a good thing, right? 

As others have mentioned, is another of that type what we need with a limited budget? I think we need a more natural striker with an eye for goal to reduce the burden on Brereton who is the only one we have who plays in the main 2 attacking positions that scores goals regularly.

Plus he is a winger rather than a forward which Markanday seems to be. Would he suit the right sided forward role?

45 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I personally think his attitude and work rate will really help the team go up (if we do), ability aside. I think he's played and is playing a part in why this team's successful. I'd 100% keep him around... unless prem standard attackers were to come in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Agree with the latter, however it seems to be coming clearer by the day the budget isn't as limited as first made out!

Hoping we can do a lot better than previously linked journeymen like Hedges and Healey though personally.

I would hope anyone we are targeting has flown completely under the radar like Markanday until the deal was nearly done.

Out and out striker, imposing midfielder and possibly a back up keeper for me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Hoping we can do a lot better than previously linked journeymen like Hedges and Healey though personally.

I would hope anyone we are targeting has flown completely under the radar like Markanday until the deal was nearly done.

Out and out striker, imposing midfielder and possibly a back up keeper for me.

Healey may be a good player, he didn’t get much of a chance at Cardiff who were in the PL at the time. He was loaned to everyone then MK Dons took him (after another loan) and he scored goals. Then he did the same at Toulouse.

Not really a journeyman, he’s only had a permanent contract at 4 clubs since he was a teenager and he’s scored at all of them.

I’d prefer Maja I think, but we could do with a decent forward to put a shift in if we’re chasing the game.

2 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

TM kept playing Rothwell on the wing for ages and then converted him into a central midfielder. Hedges has a fair bit of pace I believe so who knows?

Think Rothwell was always a central midfielder to be honest, Mowbray just played him out wide because he didn't really know what to do with him.

Also see Armstrong, Brereton, Gallagher, Holtby.

• Like 1

I am not sure that I would have trusted him at all when he first signed in a midfield 2.

He certainly has matured as a Rovers player, from impact sub, to wide man, to central midfielder in a 3 that controls games, to a much deeper role in a 2 amidst a formation that protects his weaknesses.

2 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

I don't see Dolan being sold or loaned, he's a proper Mowbray type. If he was at another club and we signed him we'd be pleased. Time will tell though!

The boy needs to be playing games.  His confidence is clearly shaken too.  I think a loan where he gets consistent playing time would suit him.  If we bring in more wide players, he's only going to fall further down the line.  

• Like 1