BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

i have never mention a big lump or a poacher in my post. So you are being pedantic by keep mentioning it when I am talking and discussing how any new forwards need to be able to fit into how we play and the work rate, defensive duties they need to be able to do to fit into our front 2. 

We don't play as front 2 as normal as other clubs are doing but play wider in our 3-5-2 than QPR or Boro o Stoke do. 

A striker could surely provide that work rate just as a winger might. Solanke is a good example, he works hard and would fit into our system.

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I don't think we're going up. 

Hand on heart I don’t either. We haven’t got a strong enough squad and the manager isn’t good enough to get us promoted.  It pains me to say that because we’ll never a better chance. Of course if the chicken chokers get the cheque book out things may change.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Yeah but we have a far better chance with Brererton not being sold.

I don't think that amount will be offered anyway, but he will still have interest in the summer and will still fetch a sizeable fee..15-20 million.

Unless the club are under threat of going under and a sale would be necessary to keep us going I don't see why we would want him sold.Let the owners keep footing the bill created by their mismanagement rather than selling our top scorer

Talk of half his fee being reinvested just isn't going to happen, and whatever money we do have won't go on proven top end championship quality as we just don't pay the wages other teams do.

If a decent fee is spent it will be on another young talent that they feel they can improve.Now we may not go up but with the league as poor as it is this year then we might not get another chance as good as this in the next ten years.

If we don't get promoted this season it's very hard to see it happening next season with Rothwell, Lenihen, Nyambe and Brererton gone.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A striker could surely provide that work rate just as a winger might. Solanke is a good example, he works hard and would fit into our system.

How would Solanke fit into how we play our front 2? He wouldn't given how Mowbray wants his forwards to play and how we play. 

7 hours ago, neophox said:

West Ham may pay £28,5m for Brereton Diaz......would you sell?

The making of Brereton was when he joined up with Chile.  

I think it's clear Chile's coaching staff were able to tap into the lad's psyche in a way Mowbray, Venus and Lowe couldn't.  He gained enormous confidence and self belief.

Think he's a better player than Armstrong in terms of technique and football intelligence.  If he had Armstrong's blistering pace he would be one helluva player.

Think his lack of real pace will prevent him becoming a top, top player.

I'd snap the hand off West Ham at £28.5million.  IMO, will find life very difficult in the PL.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think our performances will pick up again after January.  

It's not good with a number of the players possibly moving on this window and possible replacements being brought in .

We need 100% commitment to have a chance,  but a few could be hoping to tie up a deal now after some good form.

Once the window closes and Dack plus new signing are getting up to speed, I hope we hit some form again,  but might be a couple dodgy games beforehand. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hand on heart I don’t either. We haven’t got a strong enough squad and the manager isn’t good enough to get us promoted.  It pains me to say that because we’ll never a better chance. Of course if the chicken chokers get the cheque book out things may change.

Think we need to take a deep breath and calm down a bit. I think it's unlikely we'll go up automatically but we have an 8 point gap on the seventh placed Club so if we can perform in half way reasonable fashion for the rest of the season we SHOULD make top 6.

The last two or three games have shown how crucial Nyambe and Travis are to our success. We need to get those two back in, make two or three astute acquisitions in the right positions refocus and (I know it's a cliche) go again.

We've lost one game. Now is not the time to panic,  throw in the towel and indulge in a fire sale. If we lose a load of players for nothing in summer it might be a long time before we're in a position to even challenge for the play offs again. 

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Think we need to take a deep breath and calm down a bit. I think it's unlikely we'll go up automatically but we have an 8 point gap on the seventh placed Club so if we can perform in half way reasonable fashion for the rest of the season we SHOULD make top 6.

The last two or three games have shown how crucial Nyambe and Travis are to our success. We need to get those two back in, make two or three astute acquisitions in the right positions refocus and (I know it's a cliche) go again.

We've lost one game. Now is not the time to panic,  throw in the towel and indulge in a fire sale. If we lose a load of players for nothing in summer it might be a long time before we're in a position to even challenge for the play offs again. 

Post of the day !

• Like 3

4 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Clubs will be looking at Mitrovic too, an international player, scores for fun in the Championship, but struggles premier league. Genuinely how many have made the step up from championsip to premiership and continued to be 20 plus strikers? Also of them, how many were bought for big fees?

I think Serie A clubs should be looking at Mitrovic.  He's a technically gifted player that lacks elite pace that is almost a prerequisite in today's Premier League.  I've always thought of him as a poor man's Edin Dzeko.  I think he could bag 20+ goals in that league.

£28.5m would be tough to turn down for BBD, but I think the Rovers need to hold out until the summer.  Promotion would be worth a lot more to Rovers than £28.5m.  If Rovers don't go up, I think they could still get £20m this summer.  He has the international pedigree that Armstrong lacks and there appears to be genuine interest from abroad in addition to the Premier League clubs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

A promotion team needs 4 or 5 players scoring double figures.

Agree with a lot of what you said but I’m calling BS on this one. Typically the teams promoted will have 2 or 3 above 10 goals. Norwich won the league last year with 2 players above 10 and Brentford had 1 player above 10 goals.

for completion Watford had 1 player above 10 and he only scored 13. They went up second. Sharing goals around is more important than having all the eggs in one basket.

Edited by Ricky
Added Watford
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Agree with a lot of what you said but I’m calling BS on this one. Typically the teams promoted will have 2 or 3 above 10 goals. Norwich won the league last year with 2 players above 10 and Brentford had 1 player above 10 goals.

for completion Watford had 1 player above 10 and he only scored 13. They went up second. Sharing goals around is more important than having all the eggs in one basket.

Typically you need a certain number of goals to go up but I don't think it maters where they come from per se.

Historically you always needed two 20 goal plus a season strikers to go up. These days not as many teams play with two out and out front men so it's more normal that the goals are spread around.

All that said IF BB weighed in with a second half of the season like his first and scored 40 goals, we wouldn't need that many goals from elsewhere.

It's fairly unrealistic to expect that however so it's likely other players will have to step up and chip in more.

Solanke? Dream on. That’s like for like Plus PL level wages. Not happening in a million years. 

Brewster another one who hasn’t kicked off after a very good loan spell at Derby but probably being paid daft money as well. 

Would love Adebayo but must be PL sniffing about. 

Just keep Breo until the summer, no reason why he shouldn’t continue bagging goals for us. Full of confidence, great movement and hard-working. Would have scored that penalty last night.

7 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Solanke? Dream on. That’s like for like Plus PL level wages. Not happening in a million years. 

Brewster another one who hasn’t kicked off after a very good loan spell at Derby but probably being paid daft money as well. 

Just keep Breo until the summer, no reason why he shouldn’t continue bagging goals for us. Full of confidence, great movement and hard-working. Would have scored that penalty last night.

I was the one that mentioned Solanke but not in that he is obtainable, more as an example of the type of striker that I think would suit us next to Brereton.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

How would Solanke fit into how we play our front 2? He wouldn't given how Mowbray wants his forwards to play and how we play. 

He’d slot right into the not being available for Bournemouth role.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Adebayo would be good but I can’t see Rovers paying the necessary amount even if Brereton was sold.

10 minutes ago, booth said:

He’d slot right into the not being available for Bournemouth role.

There's zero chance of any of the top few Clubs selling a key player to each other I'd have thought, the only value a bid for Solanke would have would be to wind Bournemouth up and try to unsettle the player as they did with us when they publicised an alleged interest in Rothwell.

1 hour ago, Ricky said:

And it's even possible to have 2 players scoring 40+ between them and not even make the play offs 😉👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Typically you need a certain number of goals to go up but I don't think it maters where they come from per se.

Historically you always needed two 20 goal plus a season strikers to go up. These days not as many teams play with two out and out front men so it's more normal that the goals are spread around.

That must have been a real problem in the 2017/18 season when only 2 players scored 20 or more (21 and 20 goals). Or the 15/16 season when only 3 players managed it. Of course, the season before that, we had Rhodes and Gestede both hit 20+, something only 7 players managed.  We finished 11 points away from the playoffs. I don't know if by historically though you meant before it became the Championship.

@glen9mullan's initial point though was you need 4/5 players with 10+ goals to go up, and he means now not historically. Rather than go through every season, here is last season...

19 players hit 10 goals upwards. I make it at least 14, I think 15 who definitely weren't in promoted teams. Toney, Pukki, Buendia, Sarr I believe are the only ones who were in sides that went up. Sarr was Watford's only entrant on the list of 10+ goals, with just 13. They finished 2nd. Only Norwich went up with more than one player hitting 10 upwards.

So no, you absolutely don't need 4/5 players who score double figures to go up.

Interestingly, we scored 2 goals more than Watford last season. They finished 2nd, we finished 15th.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If we dont sort ourselves out, then im afraid its going to be tough to even make the playoffs. This is not the right time to lose form, because any mistake, and we let another team in..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, neophox said:

West Ham may pay £28,5m for Brereton Diaz......would you sell?

Considering that we could well have peaked and ours is now a downward trajectory I just might.  Instant gratification for the Venkies, big told you so from Mowbary, gets him kudos in Pune and a new contract.

Rovers consigned to continuation of the "journey"

My glass half full take in things.

On the basis of recent performances on the pitch, we really do need an impetus with a centre forward and solid defensive midfielder.

I wonder if we could actually deploy the back three as PV, Ayala and Wharton and play Lenihan in he defensive midfield role?

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

On the basis of recent performances on the pitch, we really do need an impetus with a centre forward and solid defensive midfielder.

I wonder if we could actually deploy the back three as PV, Ayala and Wharton and play Lenihan in he defensive midfield role?

No no no no no no no no.

No.

Lenihan has been our best CB this season, no more square pegging!