BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Barnsley (h) - 29/12/21

5 minutes ago, Songman said:

Yeah mate very hard to judge barring the obvious but that's the guidance given at the moment to referees. Yes it's open to abuse as it looks like happened on this occasion.

They used to play around injured players in rugby league. The trainer could come on to attend to the player but the game carried on unless it was a really serious injury. No point faking injury then.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

How did Rothwell miss that first-half chance when he was through one-on-one the keeper to the left of the goal? He did everything right, opened up his body to side-foot the ball in the gaping hole in the right-hand corner but somehow contrived to hit the post. A bad miss

Aye, like any of us would have potted that, or got into that amazing position in the first place...

All part and parcel of the game, but I guess we could speculate what might have been had any of the three or four other good chances we had in the first half have gone in. I dare say we might have seen another approach altogether from Barnsley, who came out very strongly in the second half.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They used to play around injured players in rugby league. The trainer could come on to attend to the player but the game carried on unless it was a really serious injury. No point faking injury then.

There's a lot of things from Rugby that football could benefit from in my opinion - none more so than refs mic'd up for everyone to hear.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Songman said:

Top 2 bullet points. So all down to his interpretation of the injury. 

Screenshot_20211230-140210_OneDrive.jpg

There has to be some context though. I have refereed many times when serious head injuries occurred and it's correct to stop play but stopping the game for what is effectively bumping heads is poor refereeing especially when a player is through on goal. The reaction of Mowbray,  the players and crowd indicated what a poor decision it was.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There has to be some context though. I have refereed many times when serious head injuries occurred and it's correct to stop play but stopping the game for what is effectively bumping heads is poor refereeing especially when a player is through on goal. The reaction of Mowbray,  the players and crowd indicated what a poor decision it was.

If it was the other way round and Barnsley had scored and goal been given this forum would have been in uproar. Just one of those rare incidents. Poor - yes. Wrong - no. As you say down to the referees interpretation of the seriousness of injury, which is hard to judge.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You’ve got to play the percentages. Brererton may or may not have scored from that position, If Dolan would have missed from a pass in his position it would have been the miss of the season.

It was as easy to score as pass though, so the percentages work out fine for me. End of the day, what went wrong is he completely mishit the ball.

20 minutes ago, tomphil said:

As a few have said credit needs to be given to Barnsley it's a while since we've been second to so many tackles and 2nd balls.

A tough lively hardworking no frills side who offered little in attack thankfully. 

I must admit they wern`t the worst side i have seen this season thought their number 7 looked ok

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Songman said:

If it was the other way round and Barnsley had scored and goal been given this forum would have been in uproar. Just one of those rare incidents. Poor - yes. Wrong - no. As you say down to the referees interpretation of the seriousness of injury, which is hard to judge.

I would hope when the referee reviews the game with his coach he regrets his impetuosity. In fact his body language for a period after the incident gave me the distinct impression he knew he had dropped a clod.

• Like 1

There was a young lad with the first team squad who I saw and possibly at the Birmingham match ,anyone know who he is?

He has blonde hair , quite slight, looked a bit goofy and looked very young. Really stood out due to looking so young. 

I've looked at the under 23 & 18 squad,  possibly Adam Walton but not sure. 

Edited by slowmo

10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

How did Rothwell miss that first-half chance when he was through one-on-one the keeper to the left of the goal? He did everything right, opened up his body to side-foot the ball in the gaping hole in the right-hand corner but somehow contrived to hit the post. A bad miss

Wouldn't say it was a bad miss. It was more of a freak miss, a bit unlucky. He hit the inside of the post and it amazingly bounced back out. The goal Barnsley scored was similar but it bounced in the other direction. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slowmo said:

There was a young lad with the first team squad who I saw and possibly at the Birmingham match ,anyone know who he is?

He has blonde hair , quite slight, looked a bit goofy and looked very young. Really stood out due to looking so young. 

Could be Butterworth

23 hours ago, bluebruce said:

If it was every time a referee had an awful performance, yes. But this is one decision that was a top 3 worst against Rovers in my lifetime IMO, as far as I'm remembering, and that doesn't happen every week. Overall standard is diabolical though and has been for years. I'm sure the first time we came down from the Prem at the end of the 90s the officials actually seemed better than the Prem ones.

If you think that was bad, search for the Ashley Ward incident V Charlton away, the year we were first relegated from the prem. For anyone who has the footage, please post it. On match of the day that night, Alan Hansen said, “ I feel sorry for the player, the manager and all the supporters, as you will never see a clearer penalty in your life”.

Needless to say it wasn’t given, the game finished 0-0 cost us two points and we were relegated soon after.

Despite by blue and white blood, I personally have never seen a referring decision as bad, either in the flesh or on TV and I have been watching the game for 50 years. 

18 hours ago, slowmo said:

Clarkson.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2021 at 16:12, had.e.nuff said:

I must admit they wern`t the worst side i have seen this season thought their number 7 looked ok

Yep, was it Brittain?

We really couldn't live with him, he beat a man at will.

For a-wing-back, his forward play was exceptional, although I'm sure if we replayed the game, he may have been culpable defensively. 

I would sign him, in a knee-jerk reaction, but he was quality. 

17 hours ago, lraC said:

If you think that was bad, search for the Ashley Ward incident V Charlton away, the year we were first relegated from the prem. For anyone who has the footage, please post it. On match of the day that night, Alan Hansen said, “ I feel sorry for the player, the manager and all the supporters, as you will never see a clearer penalty in your life”.

Needless to say it wasn’t given, the game finished 0-0 cost us two points and we were relegated soon after.

Despite by blue and white blood, I personally have never seen a referring decision as bad, either in the flesh or on TV and I have been watching the game for 50 years. 

Wasn't that the one where he flew high in the air, giving the ref the chance to claim a dive? 

26 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Yep, was it Brittain?

We really couldn't live with him, he beat a man at will.

For a-wing-back, his forward play was exceptional, although I'm sure if we replayed the game, he may have been culpable defensively. 

I would sign him, in a knee-jerk reaction, but he was quality. 

i remember we signed a young lad from hudderfield after he had a good game against us in the dalglish days think he was called ireland and that didnt go that good for us

I thought we were the better team and this was tough game but we again grinded the result out and stuck together as one team. 

The fans were fantastic and we need stop believing in our team or players. This team represents what Rovers badge stands for. I am so proud of the players and Mowbray for this run and this unbeaten run thats put us within a good chance of top 6 finish if not more. 

COYB! 🔵

13 hours ago, garnersfags said:

Wasn't that the one where he flew high in the air, giving the ref the chance to claim a dive? 

Keeper and center back both clattered him. He was sent flying, but no hint of a dive. It was an awful decision.

12 hours ago, had.e.nuff said:

i remember we signed a young lad from hudderfield after he had a good game against us in the dalglish days think he was called ireland and that didnt go that good for us

Simon Ireland.