BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Barnsley (h) - 29/12/21

31 minutes ago, Tom said:

Say it quietly but with Fulham not playing till Monday we will be at least 2nd should we beat Huddersfield

May as well assume they score 1 with the nailed on Rhodes goal but we should have enough to overcome them 

Not long since we were excited at the prospect of entering the top 6 even for a couple of hours, now we have a 10 point buffer 

What concerns me the most is the optimism. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Tombro said:

He did get a whack in the face and went down holding his head, though. The referee had no option but to stop the game. He can't not do that.

Other than that, yes, he was atrocious! And agree with the rest of your comments.

A great battling win, overall. We could have capitulated and lost belief after spurning so many chances but we stuck at it and ran out deserved winners.

Hard disagree. He blew way too early, not that anyone even seemed to hear it. It was one of the absolute worst decisions I've ever seen, and it nearly cost us, so it's baffling for me to see someone defend it as though it wasn't even the worst decision he made on the night.

Right up there with the Berg red card and the Tevez goal for me. He shouldn't be allowed to referee at this level again.

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Hard disagree. He blew way too early, not that anyone even seemed to hear it. It was one of the absolute worst decisions I've ever seen, and it nearly cost us, so it's baffling for me to see someone defend it as though it wasn't even the worst decision he made on the night.

Right up there with the Berg red card and the Tevez goal for me. He shouldn't be allowed to referee at this level again.

By those (low) standards we’d be out of officials by the end of January 

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Whilst our heads are turned expecting bids for Brereton, we need to make sure nobody steals Buckley.

He was outstanding tonight and has been for most of the season, another gem we must keep hold of.

Onwards and upwards.

I don’t think anyone would get away with stealing him, as I am sure that his value is high, given the term left on his contract and how much, he must be impressing the manager and coaches. I fully agree, he is a real gem and see him going to the very top. He is as good as anything we have seen at Ewood, for a very long time. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bazza said:

Just need Waggot to reduce his prices.

I picked Boro because they are currently on the up, like us. Could have been anyone other than Fulham, Bournemouth and WBA who are expected to go straight up.

They have a tough game coming up on Saturday, away to an improving Sheffield United. That will show what they are made of I think, as a win or draw there, will be a good result for them. 

5 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

What I particularly like about him is he wins the ball more than a defensive midfielder too. When Dack's back I can see him moving to central mid or even right wing back and being amazingly effective there also in defence and attack.

I don't think he's that type of tackler, especially for RWB. He excels at nicking the ball off defenders passing it a bit too casually at the back or centre of the park. He can take a risk up there too because if he fails at a tackle it's usually no big deal. That liberty isn't there in defensive areas, so the same gambling could be detrimental. He would also generally be up against more skilful, faster players. Further, I don't think he has the speed for RWB and although he is much stronger than last season he still got brushed off the ball far too easily at least once tonight.

I like him just where he is right now, Dack or no Dack.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, yankfan said:

By those (low) standards we’d be out of officials by the end of January 

If it was every time a referee had an awful performance, yes. But this is one decision that was a top 3 worst against Rovers in my lifetime IMO, as far as I'm remembering, and that doesn't happen every week. Overall standard is diabolical though and has been for years. I'm sure the first time we came down from the Prem at the end of the 90s the officials actually seemed better than the Prem ones.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

That West Ham match made me lose 80% of the love I had for the game. We were clearly the victims of match fixing that day and the end of that season was an absolute joke. 

West Ham field third party players, have matches fixed in their favour and are ultimately rewarded with a place in the Premier League. 

Absolute disgrace. 

The Venkys takeover was the final nail.

Edited by Upside Down
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

I don't think he's that type of tackler, especially for RWB. He excels at nicking the ball off defenders passing it a bit too casually at the back or centre of the park. He can take a risk up there too because if he fails at a tackle it's usually no big deal. That liberty isn't there in defensive areas, so the same gambling could be detrimental. He would also generally be up against more skilful, faster players. Further, I don't think he has the speed for RWB and although he is much stronger than last season he still got brushed off the ball far too easily at least once tonight.

I like him just where he is right now, Dack or no Dack.

Tend to agree. Dack has been in the mend for a better part of the last 30 months. Like him having little pressure and the ability to come off the bench to add a spark or replace Buckley when he winds down. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Tombro said:

He did get a whack in the face and went down holding his head, though. The referee had no option but to stop the game. He can't not do that.

Other than that, yes, he was atrocious! And agree with the rest of your comments.

A great battling win, overall. We could have capitulated and lost belief after spurning so many chances but we stuck at it and ran out deserved winners.

The referee screwed up massively by over reacting and will undoubtedly hide behind the supposed head injury. It was probably less than fifteen seconds from Khadra getting the ball to scoring and absolutely no harm would have come to the player had the referee waited. As I said the fact the Barnsley lad didn't even need treatment shows how the referee simply stopped the game too early.

Really excellent victory. In some ways these kind of 3 points are more satisfying then blowing teams away 4-0. We missed a few chances, conceded a really poor and unlucky goal-all the hallmarks for a classic championship upset. Instead we stuck at and got the 3 points. Great to see.

Looking forward to Sunday now! Huddersfield play the day after us and also played boxing day, so we should he fresher.

Edited by BRFC4EVA
  • Like 4

Huddersfield are a real bogey team for us. Another big test. The longer this run continues the more pressure I feel mounting every game. But at the moment it seems as though the players are thriving on that pressure rather than crumbling. Last night was a huge banana skin. We could have easily come away with just the 1 point. Another 3 is huge. 

It's become 1 game at a time now. Just keep the run going. When we do eventually lose. Hopefully it will become a real shot in the arm and inspire us to another winning run.

29 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Huddersfield are a real bogey team for us. Another big test. The longer this run continues the more pressure I feel mounting every game. But at the moment it seems as though the players are thriving on that pressure rather than crumbling. Last night was a huge banana skin. We could have easily come away with just the 1 point. Another 3 is huge. 

It's become 1 game at a time now. Just keep the run going. When we do eventually lose. Hopefully it will become a real shot in the arm and inspire us to another winning run.

Yeah and I hope we don’t start messing around with the formation and the line up again if and when we do lose.

• Like 2

Barnsley played alot better than I expected and certainly didn't just roll over, like a team second bottom of the league. In a way a battling victory like last night, is even more satisfying and shows character than some of the pumpings we've dished out. We've got a great young squad with the wind in their sails. It's a joy to go and watch and the next game can't come soon enough.

As we saw with Liverpool on Tuesday in football you can be miles better than your opponents but still not get the result if it is "one of those games". At halftime it looked like that might be the case for us so kudos to Tony Mowbray and the players for digging deep and not panicking.

John Buckley looks a Premier League player for sure.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah and I hope we don’t start messing around with the formation and the line up again if and when we do lose.

I'm worried about him messing about with the formation 'before' we lose.

He wants to start Gally, and maybe even Edun. I prefer Butterworth and Johnson, who have shown an ability to slot neatly into our current line-up, from the bench.

I worry Rankin-Costello will be straight back in, although he may fit into the system better than Gally or Edun. 

Suppose it all depends on whether the increasingly strong rumours about the Diaz, Khadra, van Hecke swap deal rumours are correct. I heard this week that it's a done deal.

I really hope not, as I don't think we'll replace Ben's goals this season, whoever we buy. 

Edited by garnersfags
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

If its a head injury you stop the game immediately as a referee, so I'm not sure he blew to quickly is an excuse. There's no advantage to be played from a head injury.

I didn't see the actual incident due to a toilet trip with a nagging child, but the minute a player is holding his head the referee should stop the game.

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

As we saw with Liverpool on Tuesday in football you can be miles better than your opponents but still not get the result if it is "one of those games". At halftime it looked like that might be the case for us so kudos to Tony Mowbray and the players for digging deep and not panicking.

John Buckley looks a Premier League player for sure.

I thought at half time that if we played half as well as in the 1st half, we would still win.

We played half as well, and we won. 

Hopefully Brighton will see Ben's blazing miss, and have second thoughts.... 🙂

1 minute ago, garnersfags said:

I thought at half time that if we played half as well as in the 1st half, we would still win.

We played half as well, and we won. 

Hopefully Brighton will see Ben's blazing miss, and have second thoughts.... 🙂

That miss was Armstrong all over. Dolan had made a great run and would have had a tap in if Diaz had passed him the ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

This season :-

Ben scores 1 in 3 chances. Clinical. Then we also have others scoring goals aswell. 

Last season :-

Arma scores 1 in 18 chances. Wasteful. Nobody else scoring, just Arma shooting on sight.

I think we need to accept that Arma was good for us, just as Ben is good for us.

Although I'm more worried about losing BB.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

We smashed them 5-2 at Ewood last season, although it was a dead rubber between two poor teams.

Can see a draw on Sunday.

28 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

I'm worried about him messing about with the formation 'before' we lose.

He wants to start Gally, and maybe even Edun. I prefer Butterworth and Johnson, who have shown an ability to slot neatly into our current line-up, from the bench.

I worry Rankin-Costello will be straight back in, although he may fit into the system better than Gally or Edun. 

Suppose it all depends on whether the increasingly strong rumours about the Diaz, Khadra, van Hecke swap deal rumours are correct. I heard this week that it's a done deal.

I really hope not, as I don't think we'll replace Ben's goals this season, whoever we buy. 

The subs worried me last night and i know i wasn't alone but to me some lads looked a bit leggy last night. So some rotating is inevitable but lets just hope we don't return to the tinkerman days.

• Like 5