BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Barnsley (h) - 29/12/21

At the time the subs were made Barnsley had the ball possession wise but were not getting anywhere fast.

The subs that came on did ok, yes they were chasing the ball a bit but in all reality, Buckley had run his socks off whilst Rothwell was clearly feeling the kickings he was getting on the pitch. 

You cannot ask for more than we got last night, the effort was there, the ethic is there as well as pride and togetherness. When you see how galvanised the players are and how they react to the home crowd, you realise something good is happening inside the club.

Long may it continue

• Like 2

It was a v satisfying win last night, I'd forgotten what those last-10-mins nerves felt like! A good battle, hard fought, and showed again what spirit & togetherness this squad is showing.

Of course it could (should) have been more comfortable; unusually for us this last couple of months, we missed some gilt-edged chances, and TK had little else to do besides 1 decent save & picking the ball out of the net in freakish circumstances. Other than that we defended well, generally kept composed and came through well.

I did sense some legginess though, esp in Rothwell & Buckley, both if whom are rather unique talents who would be hard to replace like for like in this system. Hopefully they're fit for Sunday, start, help get us a comfortable lead then can be subbed off early & rested at Wigan.

Awful refereeing again throughout, though it worked in our favour once too as I thought Lenihan could've easily have been shown 2 yellows.

Overall v pleased at the grit & determination this team is showing; can't win every game at a canter! We just need to continue taking one game at a time, try to ignore the table (!!) and keep focused on what we do.

6 wins in a row and 1 goal conceded; what's the opposite of a death spiral?!

• Like 1

Credit to Barnsley too, they played well and fought for their club's shirt too.

I know it's only one performance, but I thought their No 7 Brittain had something about him. Potentially someone we should be interested in as RWB cover?

Styles too impressed. If he and Bucko are good friends and last night epitomises what he is like, he might be worth a shout as well

Gallagher looks like a real odd one out for us when he comes on. Just doesn't fit into this style of play. He doesn't have the touch or movement. People saying we should let Butterworth out on loan, I'd wait until end of the season, he looks like he fits in far more than Gallagher does and would be good cover for Rothwell. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The subs worried me last night and i know i wasn't alone but to me some lads looked a bit leggy last night. So some rotating is inevitable but lets just hope we don't return to the tinkerman days.

Just need one more huge push to get a result on Sunday then it's 2 weeks without a league game.

Make every change possible for the Wigan game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Songman said:

If its a head injury you stop the game immediately as a referee, so I'm not sure he blew to quickly is an excuse. There's no advantage to be played from a head injury.

I didn't see the actual incident due to a toilet trip with a nagging child, but the minute a player is holding his head the referee should stop the game.

Stopping the game for any type of injury is at the discretion of the referee. And as has been said several times the player did not need any treatment. 

• Like 1

If its a head injury you stop the game immediately as a referee, so I'm not sure he blew to quickly is an excuse. There's no advantage to be played from a head injury.

I didn't see the actual incident due to a toilet trip with a nagging child, but the minute a player is holding his head the referee should stop the game.

You're right, it's not an 'excuse', it's a fact. The lads were fine and a totally legitimate goal was unfairly ruled out. It would have only taken a couple of seconds to see they were fine, that won't change anything for an injured party. And as I said, nobody heard his whistle clearly, so it was also a crap blow. He should have been whistling like a madman well before that ball nestled in the net.

'Advantage' doesn't even come into it, that's an entirely different rule. It wasn't our lad down.

If you could get the game stopped the instant a player is holding their head as you suggest (well actually you said 'the minute' which I wouldn't object to), that would be highly exploitable to stop goals. Btw an actual referee on this forum already said it was a bollocks decision. I think the word he used was 'baffling'.

• Like 3

Interesting parallel in the City game, he let City finish their move before stopping the game.

How did Rothwell miss that first-half chance when he was through one-on-one the keeper to the left of the goal? He did everything right, opened up his body to side-foot the ball in the gaping hole in the right-hand corner but somehow contrived to hit the post. A bad miss

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That miss was Armstrong all over. Dolan had made a great run and would have had a tap in if Diaz had passed him the ball.

I assume we mean the sitter at the end. No striker is passing that, I'd question their goal lust. The problem wasn't that he shot, the problem was it was an easy chance he fluffed terribly. If he had hit a pass with the same level of skill he would have fluffed that too!

16 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

How did Rothwell miss that first-half chance when he was through one-on-one the keeper to the left of the goal? He did everything right, opened up his body to side-foot the ball in the gaping hole in the right-hand corner but somehow contrived to hit the post. A bad miss

Classic thinking he'd scored already and took his mind off the job. 

48 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I assume we mean the sitter at the end. No striker is passing that, I'd question their goal lust. The problem wasn't that he shot, the problem was it was an easy chance he fluffed terribly. If he had hit a pass with the same level of skill he would have fluffed that too!

You’ve got to play the percentages. Brererton may or may not have scored from that position, If Dolan would have missed from a pass in his position it would have been the miss of the season.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Gallagher looks like a real odd one out for us when he comes on. Just doesn't fit into this style of play. He doesn't have the touch or movement. People saying we should let Butterworth out on loan, I'd wait until end of the season, he looks like he fits in far more than Gallagher does and would be good cover for Rothwell. 

The situation last night was a carbon copy of the Bournemouth game. Khadra had hardly been in the game and Gallagher came on to replace him. He was a constant outlet from the Bournemouth pressure, holding the ball up, taking the pressure off the defence and allowing us to build moves. I would Imagine that Mowbray wanted him on to the same last night but it didn't work apart from that shot that nearly knocked the Barnsley keeper out.

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He's improving, but the Barnsley player kicked it to him and it was a very simple ball through to JR.  You'd have been disappointed if he hadn't slotted him through.

I agree. I could have made that pass now in my slippers. It was that obvious.  I like the lad though, it won’t be long before bigger clubs start taking an interest.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He's improving, but the Barnsley player kicked it to him and it was a very simple ball through to JR.  You'd have been disappointed if he hadn't slotted him through.

He's getting to the stage when his positive effects on the team outweigh his negatives. Yes a pass a toddler could make failed, but he is influencing games much more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

You're right, it's not an 'excuse', it's a fact. The lads were fine and a totally legitimate goal was unfairly ruled out. It would have only taken a couple of seconds to see they were fine, that won't change anything for an injured party. And as I said, nobody heard his whistle clearly, so it was also a crap blow. He should have been whistling like a madman well before that ball nestled in the net.

'Advantage' doesn't even come into it, that's an entirely different rule. It wasn't our lad down.

If you could get the game stopped the instant a player is holding their head as you suggest (well actually you said 'the minute' which I wouldn't object to), that would be highly exploitable to stop goals. Btw an actual referee on this forum already said it was a bollocks decision. I think the word he used was 'baffling'.

Im also a qualified referee, the latest guidance is to stop the game for a serious injury or a head injury (no matter how serious) however I agree with you it's about when he blew the whistle and how audible the whistle was, but he was perfectly within his rights to stop the game the second he suspected a head injury, no matter how serious.

So for non-head ‘serious’ injuries, the ref should stop the game?

Ok, but he has to make a split second decision and apart from the obvious horror looking ones, surely many others are very hard to judge, and can easily be ‘gamed’ by a player trying to stop a quick break?

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Stopping the game for any type of injury is at the discretion of the referee. And as has been said several times the player did not need any treatment. 

Play should be stopped if the referee suspects a serious injury or a head injury. As you know yourself when you have a split second to decide if its a head injury or not it's best from a referees view to lean on the side of caution.

Frustrating for fans but from the referees point of view it's better to disallow the goal than allow it and then the player is carried off with a head injury.

Hope your well and had a good Xmas.

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

So for non-head ‘serious’ injuries, the ref should stop the game?

Ok, but he has to make a split second decision and apart from the obvious horror looking ones, surely many others are very hard to judge, and can easily be ‘gamed’ by a player trying to stop a quick break?

Yeah mate very hard to judge barring the obvious but that's the guidance given at the moment to referees. Yes it's open to abuse as it looks like happened on this occasion.

• Like 1