BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Yeah I don't blame the players for leaving and taking more money. Rothwell won't do anything in the premier league. Boro look like they're going to have a real go this season and wherever nyambe ends up aslong as it isnt the dingles, he was decent for us. The club is the one to blame here. there is absolutely no way three of our best and most valuable assets should be leaving for free. Their contracts or transfers out should've been sorted last summer. It's an absolute disgrace what has happened. Softened only by the fact most people are really excited about the new manager. Otherwise fans would be up in arms, I'm not saying that some already are.

• Like 2

The key is going to be what budget is available to Broughton and JDT and what the chain of command is to get deals done.

I am worried that as there has been no India trip this signals a tight budget as they tend to only cough up serious money following India trips. 

If Broughton has authority to conclude deals himself we might be in business. If not then little will change.

15 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

Well it seems as if it was sell 'em or see 'em go for nowt. Like others have suggested I don't think there was ever really a third option option (i.e. they had no real intention of signing new contracts..)

Personally I'd have flogged them. We weren't/aren't ready for promotion and if we had gone up I think next season would have been a car crash...

I'll quite happily take that car crash chance i don't really understand the mentality of not ready particularly after the last decade. We were more ready than at any other time under this ownership and whenever or if ever we go up again there'll be carnage at times. We are so far behind a lot of others now being ready isn't really to bother about just take that chance if it comes along however it does.

One season up there sorts the finances providing there is no more skullduggery  and there actually is a plan.  Being a yo yo club for a few years is fine by me there is more chance of getting back established building up that way.

Just hoping to do a Burnley ain't going to happen here, it could have done if it started 5 years ago like it should have. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

If the players won't sign new contracts or what they want is beyond us then you try to sell them with 18 months or a year left on their deals.

You keep saying they had deals on the table for 2 years well why the hell didn't the club sell them then?

It's a club failing that we zero money for them.It isn't the fault of the players.

Because it was believed 2/3 were about to sign the deals put in front of them

• Like 1

There is a theme of finance issues here. I am currently out in Turkey and have just enjoyed a short chat with a relative of the hull city owner. He expected to invest heavily until he was brought to take by the current ffp and associated regs. He promises big signings and better wages however has not been able to deliver despite hull being relatively debt free. They themselves have lost a number of player through expiry of contracts and are in a similar position to Rovers. Relatively poor tickets sales haven’t helped them either as they continue to come out of covid related problems. So this is not an issue confined to BRFC and waggot. Huge wage payouts in the championship are never coming back to the levels of 2 years ago unless of course the PL change the structure and devolvement of cash gets better truth is they are looking to lessen payments and that in itself will be a major issue.

Edited by 1864roverite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Easy to say now, alot of us at the time would've been fuming if they'd of cashed in on rothwell. Especially since Bournemouth were a direct rival at the time (sounds stupid now with how we finished). Not selling him was seen as a positive. He was arguably playing the best he ever had for rovers. The way it went down with him having come crawling back. Cap in hand and do the interview was bad. Should've just kept it under wraps for me there was no good could come from that. Even if he'd been spotted on the south coast.

Didn't Bournemouth go on a shopping spree In January, where they made sure they would do whatever it takes to go up. We on the other hand, couldn't be bothered to improve the squad, couldn't somehow find a striker etc. We were just overall incompetent at the end of the day 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I think the shambles of the situation in losing three players for nothing can be summed up quite easily.

Rothwell- he was always going to go, so I’m a bit easier with that one, but it’s incompetence of the highest order to turn down a £3 Million bid from the club the player ultimately ends up at anyway, then lose them for free!

Lenihan- if we didn’t have Ayala on the books, would we have been able to afford to keep him? I think it’s a point worth considering, especially given we signed Ayala to a decent contract, knowing his wretched injury record.

Nyambe- a bit of a strange one in all honesty. I thought with a change of manager, he may stay, so I suppose this puts to bed the argument he wanted out because of Mowbray. He was good for us defensively, but attacking wise, offered very little if we’re being completely true with ourselves.

In all fairness though, if someone gets the opportunity to earn more money elsewhere to do the same job, in what they perceive to be better conditions, then I’d certainly jump ship and I imagine the rest of us would too. That’s why I always find it a bit strange that fans hold footballers to a different standard.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Because it was believed 2/3 were about to sign the deals put in front of them

There should be a deadline not letting it go till the end of their contracts in the hope they will sign.

I'm not criticising the club for not giving the players what they wanted but last summer these players should have been given a take it or leave it offer, and if they decided to leave it then they should have been offered around so we could get something for them rather than zero

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Huge wage payouts in the championship are never coming back to the levels of 2 years ago unless of course the PL change the structure and devolvement of cash gets better truth is they are looking to lessen payments and that in itself will be a major issue.

But we just lost our captain to another Championship club who some on here are claiming are paying a lot more than us.

26 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Nyambe- a bit of a strange one in all honesty. I thought with a change of manager, he may stay, so I suppose this puts to bed the argument he wanted out because of Mowbray. He was good for us defensively, but attacking wise, offered very little if we’re being completely true with ourselves.

I don't think it puts that to bed. It's still a reasonable explanation to say he got fed up and had doubts about signing a new deal because of Mowbray, but now at this late stage he has had his head turned by better pay offers and perhaps already been planning for his new home by the time we showed our managerial hand.

• Like 1

I fear this new wage structure will be tested to the limit when (or if) they start discussing a new deal with Brereton. My real fear is that we could be talking about exactly the same thing this time next year. As someone pointed out earlier everything is last minute. Player negotiations, season tickets, incoming players and approval above a certain level of spend. It's a appalling way to run a business.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I think the shambles of the situation in losing three players for nothing can be summed up quite easily.

Rothwell- he was always going to go, so I’m a bit easier with that one, but it’s incompetence of the highest order to turn down a £3 Million bid from the club the player ultimately ends up at anyway, then lose them for free!

Lenihan- if we didn’t have Ayala on the books, would we have been able to afford to keep him? I think it’s a point worth considering, especially given we signed Ayala to a decent contract, knowing his wretched injury record.

In all fairness though, if someone gets the opportunity to earn more money elsewhere to do the same job, in what they perceive to be better conditions, then I’d certainly jump ship and I imagine the rest of us would too. That’s why I always find it a bit strange that fans hold footballers to a different standard.

JR - Agreed - the fee was £3.5m rising to £6m if / when they went up.

DL - I think they went above and beyond. Boro just went (a lot) higher.

RN - has become disaffected by Venus (bully) and thought he’d get a lot more money elsewhere. As of last week those offers were not forthcoming. I have a feeling we have dug our heels in and he will end up on the same / less money at lesser / similar club. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I fear this new wage structure will be tested to the limit when (or if) they start discussing a new deal with Brereton. My real fear is that we could be talking about exactly the same thing this time next year. As someone pointed out earlier everything is last minute. Player negotiations, season tickets, incoming players and approval above a certain level of spend. It's a appalling way to run a business.

Christ, if we haven't started discussions with Brereton a while ago, I truly despair! On principle mostly, as realistically there is no way he signs a new deal.

If we couldn't get two players who came through our academy to stay, one of whom we had made captain, there is no chance in hell we persuade (and pay for) the 22-goal Chilean superstar to stay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

There's no different standard where I'm concerned - just expect a stony silence rather than a warm round of applause when you return to Ewood for your new team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

The wage structure is concerning. From what I've heard previously it means that players are entitled to % increases when renewing contracts.

If our structure dictates a player can't have a dramatic increase in salary then we've shot ourselves in the foot before negotiations even begin. Its not like a normal job where you work within a pay scale. By our skewed logic, Messi could come through our academy, the entire team be totally reliant on him, yet he'd be paid less than the rest of the squad. It's no wonder there's discontent. Nyambe being paid the same as Pears and less than Davenport. To then be told, we'd love to pay you more but we can't as it would break the pay structure. What an awful excuse. And something for Waggot to hide behind.

In short our pay structure encourages the movement of players as its the only way for a player to negotiate on their terms, rather than be tied into a set of ill fitting rules.

Can't disagree! For a club wanting to get back into the prem the wage budget does seem very mid table championship, possibly with all the first team outgoings we've had so far this summer it will have loosened things up a bit to attract a few higher calibre players 🤞

• Moderation Lead
20 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

RN - has become disaffected by Venus (bully) and thought he’d get a lot more money elsewhere. As of last week those offers were not forthcoming. I have a feeling we have dug our heels in and he will end up on the same / less money at lesser / similar club. 

My main point re Lenihan is querying if we could have afforded to keep him, were we not paying Ayala a nice wedge to be a part timer employee really.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Wow. If point three is true that’s shocking. I’ve always thought Venus came across as an absolute prick. I know Ryan is a placid lad and probably an easy target for a bully, but it’s a shame he didn’t batter Venus.

• Like 6