BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

21 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

You have to bear in mind JDT came into the job not knowing who pretty much all the players we class as first team are, let alone the kids. A clean slate for everyone and a change to impress as he keeps saying. Absolutely the right thing to do.

The frustration comes for us because time isn't on our side. Our business is going to be done late, we're gonna have to hope the incoming players have some game time under their belts at existing clubs. They're not gonna have much time to integrate with our existing players. BUT I doubt JDT will piss about with any new players getting them used to 'the way we play' like Mowbray did.

A very different team will start on Saturday, last chance to impress for me then its time to draw a line under it and get the new faces in next week.

This is a really fair assessment. From JDT and GB’s point of view, they’ve certainly started behind the curve. They’ve reportedly ripped up the Park/Mowbray list which makes sense when you consider the reported contrasting styles. We’re finally going to get a pattern of play and an identity as a team now and the players will have to be compatible.

So there’s basically constant assessments ongoing regarding what gaps they need to fill and maybe who of the senior pro’s they’ve still got, they need to replace!?

Im as frustrated as anyone that these new players aren’t at the club yet, but I want them to make sure they get the right ones first and foremost.

My feeling is that we’ll get going next week and have 2 or 3 in before the season starts. The rest, will be made before the end of the window and be dependent on the BBD sale.

• Like 6

Just to recap then.  No permanent links and one unlikely loan option from liverpool....now two weeks since we started 'making progress' in the transfer market. 

The ONLY thing that would make this not the shambles it appears - Is if Brereton is about to be sold.  

Waiting for that sale and then being able to pursue better players, would make sense at this juncture.

Not convinced that's the case though.

1 hour ago, alex l said:

Liverpool might be willing to negotiate a pay off with him, should he be willing to leave for a lower wage. 

As for us potentially paying him £20k, it's a great way to piss off the rest of the squad, especially if he doesn't justify being highest earner when he plays. Breaking the wage structure for Arma, BBD and to a lesser extent Lenihan would have been understood by the squad, they'd have earned that standing. Much harder to accept for a new signing unless it's a genuine marquee player.

My thoughts exactly.

It is Liverpools problem that they don't want Davies and in their terms not that big a one.

Pay him off and sell for what they paid so he can work elsewhere at the best wage offered.

If I was Davies that is what I would want otherwise it's a Bosman 4 year wait on the best part of 250k a month, not too shabby. And plenty of time to improve the golf swing.

35 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Just to recap then.  No permanent links and one unlikely loan option from liverpool....now two weeks since we started 'making progress' in the transfer market. 

The ONLY thing that would make this not the shambles it appears - Is if Brereton is about to be sold.  

Waiting for that sale and then being able to pursue better players, would make sense at this juncture.

Some account with 1k followers reckons we've bid for George Hirst, and Davies - that's about it

35 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I think PL clubs saw Ben pre and post his 4 month purple patch.

Maybe to Leeds.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StaffordRover said:

Serious question. Does anyone think it is possible that JDT genuinely (or has had his hand forced to some extent) thinks some of the kids are ready for first team action, so is looking to now consolidate what kitty he has on 2-3 'marquee' signings and the wages required to secure them, so doesn't actually need the 6 or so being suggested on the MB? Could explain why so few names are being linked? He's aiming for the higher rollers and is biding his time/trying to negotiate with those in control of the kitty so they are prepared to sanction higher transfer fees and in turn, review the current wage cap? If he feels we did genuinely miss out on the lad that's gone to Sheffield United because they can offer more wages (assuming the fee was achievable), then this could offer an alternative and potentially more realistic approach to securing a few 'better than we've had' signings. Am just grasping at any hypotehtical scenario that helps me feel a bit better about the current situation.

Overall, it's normally better to sign 3, permanent, first team players for money than to loan 5 and get 2 freebies.

However, thanks to Mowbray and his 'journey' we're in the sticky situation of needing both quality AND quantity. We need bodies.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I want them to make sure they get the right ones first and foremost.

That's a valid point if the transfer market stood still and waited for us to get our act together. But that's not the case is it? And some of the right ones have already gone.

Further we needed the players to be together for the pre-season for obvious reasons. But as usual we were slow appointing a new management team so that, in itself, slowed down the transfer process. We'll be signing what's left after the season has started, we usually do.They won't have the benefit of a pre-season with their new team-mates.

Decision-making at the club has been a disaster ever since Venkys arrived and nothing has changed after 12 years.

• Like 1

We signed Armstrong who moved for £15m plus...

We signed Brereton who could move for £25m plus...

Decision making in those signings quite ok....

They could had cash in for Lenihan, Rothwell and Nyambe but stood firm.... money is there for sure.

14 minutes ago, neophox said:

If Malmoe dont reach the Champions League theres still time in august to get Birmancevic. The playoffs are 24 th august if Malmoe were to go further in the competetion...

Let's hope they don't then! He's the one I really want us to push for, looks class from what i've seen - if BBD is sold surely we'd then be able to get this over the line.

If we're after buying low and selling high, he's the type of player we should be snapping up.

Edited by TheRevAshton

If anyone (not aimed at you specifically @neophox) thinks we're getting anything anywhere near 25 million for BBD you're sadly mistaken. We'll do well to get 15 due to his contract situation. Another Armstrong.

6 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

If anyone (not aimed at you specifically @neophox) thinks we're getting anything anywhere near 25 million for BBD you're sadly mistaken. We'll do well to get 15 due to his contract situation. Another Armstrong.

Think we will get £20 for him.

He plays internationally and his star status in Chile makes him more valuable than Armstrong commercially. 

Better all round player than Arma imo

• Like 2

Unless they had their own targets lined up and their own contacts to bring them in then was this alleged ripping up of lists the right thing to do ?

Rovers have paid a fella to stay on and put those things in place so that was another lump of wasted money. Add in the fact that last season presumably it was Park who got a few good ones in, Mowbray also had good form for the loans.

So all of a sudden after maybe some foundations were laid they are starting from scratch and probably finding it hard going.  Also another thing is we were fishing in a pond where Rovers were making decent wage contributions. That brought in the likes of Poveda, Khadra and JPV.

If Waggot has got hold of that and slashed it then the market to find good players is even smaller.  I think it's far more than just trying to fit a 'new style' as those lads brought in last season had no probs pressing and grafting.

We need similar but as always you have to pay a bit more for quality yet all of a sudden players are swerving us !

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Unless they had their own targets lined up and their own contacts to bring them in then was this alleged ripping up of lists the right thing to do ?

Rovers have paid a fella to stay on and put those things in place so that was another lump of wasted money. Add in the fact that last season presumably it was Park who got a few good ones in, Mowbray also had good form for the loans.

So all of a sudden after maybe some foundations were laid they are starting from scratch and probably finding it hard going.  Also another thing is we were fishing in a pond where Rovers were making decent wage contributions. That brought in the likes of Poveda, Khadra and JPV.

If Waggot has got hold of that and slashed it then the market to find good players is even smaller.  I think it's far more than just trying to fit a 'new style' as those lads brought in last season had no probs pressing and grafting.

We need similar but as always you have to pay a bit more for quality yet all of a sudden players are swerving us !

The list brought us players like Hedges and Edun, so yes.

10 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Possibly. Thing that did for us with Armstrong too is that there was only one serious suiter. If both West Ham and Leeds (and/or others) genuinely want him, I think £20 million is achievable. 

20 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Let's hope they don't then! He's the one I really want us to push for, looks class from what i've seen - if BBD is sold surely we'd then be able to get this over the line.

If we're after buying low and selling high, he's the type of player we should be snapping up.

If BBD is sold i would be amazed if any of it was available to buy Birmancevic.

That sort of thing just doesn't happen here.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Possibly. Thing that did for us with Armstrong too is that there was only one serious suiter. If both West Ham and Leeds (and/or others) genuinely want him, I think £20 million is achievable. 

It'd be a fairly poor business decision from both those teams imo. He doesn't dramatically improve either and he's had one good six month spell. 

If I were either of those I'd wait 6 months til Jan, and if he has another good spell, you'd be looking at 3-5 mil or for nowt in summer.

16 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The list brought us players like Hedges and Edun, so yes.

You don't know that.

Of course it's easier to cherry pick the negative ones and ignore the others but really we don't know who to credit what with.

Mowbray himself has good form on the loans though whatever else we bash him for.

13 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

If BBD is sold i would be amazed if any of it was available to buy Birmancevic.

That sort of thing just doesn't happen here.

There is virtually zero chance of anything getting re-invested i cannot believe anyone thinks otherwise.

All it would do, depending on when it went through of course in terms of the accounts, would be to put the books in order for another 12 months.  

Similar to the AA sale, then a couple of million in headroom might be created in next summers budget.  

That's it.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

You don't know that.

Of course it's easier to cherry pick the negative ones and ignore the others but really we don't know who to credit what with.

Mowbray himself has good form on the loans though whatever else we bash him for.

Hmmm. In recent times maybe. There's been some bad ones and some bang average to go with the JPvH's.

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

You don't know that.

Park started last year, right?

The only permanent transfers during that time were Hedges, Edun and Markanday (who I'm giving a reprieve to because he torn his hamstring). 

If we can't credit him with those transfers... then what we he being paid to do?

17 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

It'd be a fairly poor business decision from both those teams imo. He doesn't dramatically improve either and he's had one good six month spell. 

If I were either of those I'd wait 6 months til Jan, and if he has another good spell, you'd be looking at 3-5 mil or for nowt in summer.

It's perfectly feasible that most (all?) of the links we've seen so far are Rovers trying to flog him. I'm just saying that IF we get more than two clubs who like the look of him, then we're not over the barrel quite as much. FWIW I think he's got more about him than Armstrong so it's not impossible, but we'll have to wait and see.