BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Don't know how true it is, but saw it claimed somewhere that Barnsley want £2.5m for Styles. If true, that is what will likely scupper it for us, IMO. We just don't spend that sort of money.

As much as "we have the money" can be said, it has been said in the past too, without us seeing it in reality.  Brittain is a good start, but I would be shocked if we started spending £2m+ each on a couple of further defensive additions.

I would love for us to get Van Hecke and Styles in. The combined cost could well be close to £5m though, at a guess. Let's assume it's £2.5m each. Will the money men want to stretch to that? I'm not sure.

A back 3, or 5, of:

Brittain, Ayala, Van Hecke, Wharton, Styles, would be a different ball game. A real upgrade on what we can currently field.

Come on Gregg, make it happen.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, neophox said:

Sign Styles and Van Hecke and were done with the defence.

jdt keeps mentioning the healthy budget,it should be no problem getting styles and josh bowler,both of them are playing at clubs below their level,don`t think van hecke is reachable,though it would be massive if we could get him as well,for the first time in years,a show of ambition😇

6 minutes ago, neophox said:

Sign Styles and Van Hecke and were done with the defence.

I agree. If we are confident in the quality of Carter and Phllips three seniors and two rookies to cover two or three CB roles seems okay. 

• SENIOR : Van Hecke, Wharton, Ayala
  • ROOKIE : Carter, Phillips.... 
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

I hope things have changed but I am worried that the window is likely to go the same way as previous years.

Lots of big talk and links to 'big' name players but then pipped to it by others, and we end up resorting to the last minute loan market as the easier option.

After we signed Brittain the local media were obviously tipped off that several more were imminent and led Sharpe to boldly announce things were hotting up and moving on transfers. 5 days on and it sounds like the annual Liverpool loan is on hold and Styles is likely to join Besiktas.

Don't get points or prizes for missing out.

Transfers take time and its takes days and even weeks to bring players in. That just how it works in football

4 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Troy Parrott has gone to Preston.  I'm sure he would have come here had there been interest

My work friend is very happy with this signing

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If there is any truth in us already failing in 2 seperate defender signings, another thing aside from the chance of him being in Brighton's first team, unaffordable and/or attractive to richer clubs should he become available, why would he be so far down our list if he was a genuine target? Seems like wishful thinking.

of course Jan Paul Van Hecke is a more than reasonable target? if the fee and wages are sensible then he is affordable. If we are talking crazy fee or wages then he isn't affordable. I think a transfer fee around 3 million with 15% sell on clause above the original fee plus 15k a wage. That the deal I would be looking at doing for him to bring him back home here. 

On the lists point, You will have around 5 or 6 players on different lists on the fee and wages they would cost. 

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

IF Shane Duffy hadn't of gone on an OG rampage, had a father who called out supporters and wasn't a general tool the summer before his exit - would people be happy with Shane Duffy (the player) back?

I'd love to sign him back on a pay-as-you-play contract, then bury the bastard in the reserves for the next 3 years until he retires. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If there is any truth in us already failing in 2 seperate defender signings, another thing aside from the chance of him being in Brighton's first team, unaffordable and/or attractive to richer clubs should he become available, why would he be so far down our list if he was a genuine target? Seems like wishful thinking.

It's wishful thinking, no doubt.

However this is Broughton and JDT's list, not Mowbray's. Neither one has ever met him - albeit I've no doubt they've both seen him play.

From a business perspective, there is little risk involved with Styles and (especially) Van Hecke.

Invest a couple of million on each now and quadruple (if not more) your money in a couple of years.

The trick then, of course, is to make sure they don’t walk away for free at the end of their contracts…

Edited by Andy

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

A back 3, or 5, of:

Brittain, Ayala, Van Hecke, Wharton, Styles, would be a different ball game. A real upgrade on what we can currently 

We should be aiming for a scenario like that AND keeping Brereton.

We were told that we had a healthy budget and from Glen’s discussions with the CEO, confirmation that we don’t necessarily have to sell Ben, so why would folk want to get rid of a 20 goal a season man at this level?

Kaminski, the above defence, Travis and Buckley in midfield, Brereton and Gallagher our main attackers, Dack and the other fringe players, the youngsters coming through, together two or three loan signings and we have the basis of a very good squad. One that, with the new Head Coach and team, should be pushing at least for a play off spot.

Aim high.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

We should be aiming for a scenario like that AND keeping Brereton.

We were told that we had a healthy budget and from Glen’s discussions with the CEO, confirmation that we don’t necessarily have to sell Ben, so why would folk want to get rid of a 20 goal a season man at this level?

Kaminski, the above defence, Travis and Buckley in midfield, Brereton and Gallagher our main attackers, Dack and the other fringe players, the youngsters coming through, together two or three loan signings and we have the basis of a very good squad. One that, with the new Head Coach and team, should be pushing at least for a play off spot.

Aim high.

Yeah but in that scenario have to be confident another player can be sold for a significant fee next summer or we won't be able to spend next year.

Like it or lump it FfP is here and if we do healthy business this summer and forget about selling Brererton this summer then going forward we would have to cash in on an asset to continue building going forward 

Please someone correct me, but if sign a player for 1 million on a 4 year deal, that will show up as 250k per year on our books. Whereas the same 1 million pound player would show up as 500k on a 2 year deal…

based on this I don’t understand why we haven’t given four year deals to players under the age of 25. I can think of the City midfielder, any others?

3 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

IF Shane Duffy hadn't of gone on an OG rampage, had a father who called out supporters and wasn't a general tool the summer before his exit - would people be happy with Shane Duffy (the player) back?

I’d rather play with ten men

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, imy9 said:

Please someone correct me, but if sign a player for 1 million on a 4 year deal, that will show up as 250k per year on our books. Whereas the same 1 million pound player would show up as 500k on a 2 year deal…

based on this I don’t understand why we haven’t given four year deals to players under the age of 25. I can think of the City midfielder, any others?

Brittain

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd love to sign him back on a pay-as-you-play contract, then bury the bastard in the reserves for the next 3 years until he retires. 

extremely disgusting human being imo,any pro that damages his teams chances of winning a game for his own self purpose(the cardiff performance) deserves nothing but contempt,celtic fans hate him with a passion for his behaviour up there,he acted just like he did here

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah but in that scenario have to be confident another player can be sold for a significant fee next summer or we won't be able to spend next year.

Like it or lump it FfP is here and if we do healthy business this summer and forget about selling Brererton this summer then going forward we would have to cash in on an asset to continue building going forward 

Remember, FFP changes next summer, so a sale is not necessarily required. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would like to bring Styles in as centre midfielder and not as left back. 

The Barnsley fans feel styles being moved from lb/lwb to CM was one of the reasons for them being relegated, so it must not have been that successful or it made them too weak on their left flank. 

• Like 1