BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

15 minutes ago, The Gull said:

I didn't realise Wharton and Garret had played first team football in the Champions League and Premiership, week in, week out, surrounded by world class players and represented England at Under 20's level.

It may only be a small amount of games but not quite sure how you can state they have more experience.

I said no more experience really... he's played two prem games, and two CL game I think? That isn't much experience really?

My point is I would have taken a rough and ready experienced player who had racked up a decent amount of games over another fresh young player when we have a lot of them in that role. That's all I meant...

More than happy to hold my hands up if he comes in and makes a big impact.

54 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

A kid on loan from Liverpool. That's about the best that Broughton can do. Shouldn't come as a surprise.

Van Hecke was a kid from Brighton.

Elliot was a kid from Liverpool.

I'm not that happy about taking Morton but let's not pretend we are the only team in this division that brings in young players on loan from Premier league teams. 

That kid from Chelsea who Huddersfield had last season did alright similar the kid Forest signed.

• Like 1

I think he counts as a body, it gives the chance to Garett and Wharton and if it doesn't work out Morton could be an able body. I know nothing about the lad but fingers cross he can have an impact on the season but Liverpool friend do seem to rate him quite highly. 

1 hour ago, ItsRoverZ said:

My entire family bar me are big Liverpool fans,  few of them say Morton won't ever make it at Liverpool the rest think he's going to be a regular starter in midfield in a few years 

My son is a huge Liverpool fan, as well. 
He cheered when we got Elliott on loan (to give him more playing time), and hopes Morton performs for us… after all, it just stands to benefit Reds, in the long run. 

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'll reserve judgment on Morton just like I will on any signing I know very little about rather than heralding it as a masterstroke. He could be another Harvey Elliott, Leighton Clarkson or somewhere in between.

My views on borrowing other clubs players to fill gaps in the squad are already known. I'm not a fan of it. Unless the player is so good that we couldn't possibly do better by signing our own or it is the icing on the cake I don't think it is a sensible policy in any respect other than financial - it certainly isn't a policy that is suggestive of building an asset base or a long term plan.

Yes I know what Broughton has had to say about our own academy lads having 'pathways' into the first team but that suggests to me that we are approaching recruitment based on a short term arrangement in the hope that a year or two down the line the academy lads step up to the plate.

Having let so many players leave I am worried that those numbers required keep on being cut down. Having offloaded 10 from last season's squad I would hope to see 5-6 permanent additions and then maybe a couple of loans to finish things off. I can see it now people will be saying after this and the Peterborough lad that we are almost sorted. I think not.

the long term plan is for Jake Garrett and Adam Wharton to be first team squad but Tyler Morton is here for a season only. 

How is the recruitment based on a short term when we are signing Sammie Szmodics for a couple of millions and Callum Brittain already signed for around 1 million pounds and 4 year contract? 

on the 10 players who left a few of them were only squad players like Poveda, Zeefuik, Johnson, Davenport so these have already been replace. Nyambe and Rothwell have been replace by Brittain and Morton. 

We are only looking at making 5 or 6 signings this summer. I think we signed at least 3/4 permanent signings and a couple of loans. 

Don't know much about him. But he looks a lot bigger than Clarkson from the couple of clips I've seen. I'd say we definitely need another body. Still want Styles. 

Wharton is only 17. Surely he's not ready for the step up this year. As for Garrett. Even with Trav, Buckley, Styles and Morton in there he should see some minutes and an opportunity to work his way up the pecking order. 

Far too much excitement about Morton just because we've got someone actually through the door. Morton fills a shirt and a place in the squad - nothing more. Is he going to be a first pick and an influential player - unlikely. We need more signings - permanent ones who will make a difference to the team

19 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

I think he counts as a body, it gives the chance to Garett and Wharton and if it doesn't work out Morton could be an able body. I know nothing about the lad but fingers cross he can have an impact on the season but Liverpool friend do seem to rate him quite highly. 

I think we can be certain he isn't here to sit behind Wharton and Garrett in the pecking order. He's in their way now, not the other way around, and it's up to them to force themselves past him and the two already ahead of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

It’s a good transfer, we now have 5 players  for the CDM/CM role…no more is needed there IMO

It's piling kids upon kids though, isn't it? Quantity, but little quality, imo. We needed one or two experienced heads in there, but clearly that's not how they want to go about it.

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Is everything ok today mate?

All good, thanks for asking. Just very underwhelmed with our transfer business and the way we are going about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

For me the 'Szmodics buying his Range Rover from a bloke in Peterborough but Jim thinking he lived in Essex' confusion was the best few pages of this thread by some distance 

It was a company car and Barry Fry repossessed it in a fit of peak when Szmodics said he wanted the Blackburn move. Dodgy character that Fry!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Dolans frustrating, I like him a lot but he only seems to be really effective as a sub to come on and stir things up, when he gets a start he seems to go missing for a lot of the game tough. 

Makes a great impact/super sub, but not all players like getting that tag long term when they feel they should be starting 

Totally agree 

• Like 1

Morton fills a jersey. Might be good might be shite. I’m generally not a massive fan of loanees they’re either shite or if they’re good such as van hecke, Elliott, Tosin it’s achieved little other than a short term plugging of a hole for a season and puts you back at square one the following summer.

That said if buy a lame duck like Pickering appears to be then stuck with them.

Fortunately the academy is going through a purple patch and has answered a lot of questions for rovers.

Edited by matt83
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Morton fills a jersey. Might be good might be shite. I’m generally not a massive fan of loanees they’re either shite or if they’re good such as van hecke, Elliott, Tosin it’s achieved little other than a short term plugging of a hole for a season and puts you back at square one the following summer. 

I think they have explained that - he is here to fill a gap while some of our own youngsters gain more experience (presumably from the bench and the odd cup match). Only time will tell how good he is playing at this level.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

we got Elliot as a kids on loan from Liverpool he didnt do too bad did he?

You're right, he was quality for us, but it doesn't always work out like that, as we saw with Clarkson.

I know it's not only us that does it @islander200, I'm just not pleased to see it become a staple in our transfer windows.

Every summer it seems as though we're waiting to see which kids the Premier League clubs are going to let out. The new guys have come in I.e JDT and Broughton, but here we are with another Premier League youngster on loan. I'll get behind whoever comes in, but it is underwhelming for me.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

we got Elliot as a kids on loan from Liverpool he didnt do too bad did he?

Hmmmm

Two Completely different types of player and positions though tbf

There's a lot more responsibility in the centre of the park for Morton, where as Elliot was pretty much given a free role to just go out there and strut his stuff😄

Leighton Clarkson arrived with high expectations but he just looked like a boy lost 😞

Hopefully Morton will be a gooden though, nor sure we're hed fit in if Travis and Buckley carry on doing well as a partnership in the centre of the park