BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Trousering? Aka taking money out of the business?

Why on earth would they be putting 8/10m a season in via share capital then?

Ah you're back! Is it time to panic yet?

Edited by 47er

Just now, JHRover said:

Bizarre. All must not be well at Sunderland as I can't imagine why he'd want to leave them after promotion to join Stoke. I know Stoke have money but Sunderland can't be that far behind surely.

Yeah exactly, Sunderland seems a more exciting club at the moment, started well and strengthening well, would be an odd move. 

5 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Trousering? Aka taking money out of the business?

Why on earth would they be putting 8/10m a season in via share capital then?

This is the bit that doesn't tally up for me with all the consoiracy theories that fly around. Venkys as far as I'm concerned are incompetent and irresponsible. None of it is deliberate, they're not trying to run the club like a shit show, they just can't run a football club. Quite what they'd get out of deliberately mismanaging the club I didn't know especially as it costs them 10s of millions each year 

• Like 5

When looking to replace Brereton we need to be thinking about the here and now. We can’t invest another big chunk of money on a player who is going to take 3 or 4 years to come good.

While Brereton came really good, he was at best a passenger, but more often than not a complete liability for 2 years. We will need to attempt to replace a large chunk of his goals this season. A massive ask. I can’t see lightning striking twice with any of our current crop.

Problem is we would have to spend more than we get for him to have a good chance of that happening. It will more than likely be a loan though, so we just have to keep our fingers crossed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Bizarre. All must not be well at Sunderland as I can't imagine why he'd want to leave them after promotion to join Stoke. I know Stoke have money but Sunderland can't be that far behind surely.

Difficult to know. Without FFP and with their owners I think Stoke would be the only club who could spend £150m in the championship if they were allowed to.

Everything is in place at Stoke and their owners/bet365 just wrote off the £200m debt they had, so the club is now debt free.

I think it's also easier to attract players to Stoke than the North East and Neill still lives in Cheshire so possibly wants to move to be closer to home.

We possibly may see Mowbray at Sunderland?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

If we sold BBD and reinvested the money into the squad with players we already have lined up, it wouldn’t be ideal, but I’ve expected him to be on his way for a while, really. 
Just to be clear- I have absolutely no confidence in our hierarchy to do this though. The Armstrong money went unspent and I think the BBD cash will go the same way. Saying it went unspent is easier to pacify fans, but I think we all know it will be getting trousered.

If by "trousered" you mean "funding working capital deficits because our (non-transfer) turnover is inadequate..." I suspect you are correct; but "trousered" suggests someone is pocketing money illicitly ?

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

If by "trousered" you mean "funding working capital deficits because our (non-transfer) turnover is inadequate..." I suspect you are correct; but "trousered" suggests someone is pocketing money illicitly ?

Its a dark art this running a football club, who knows what money goes where, be it Armstrong's £10m+ or the training ground bonus bonanza....

K-Hods point about reinvesting is a valid one, even a small amount could have seen us into the playoffs last season, but no it was kept in the safe, as I suspect the BBD money will be too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Its a dark art this running a football club, who knows what money goes where, be it Armstrong's £10m+ or the training ground bonus bonanza....

K-Hods point about reinvesting is a valid one, even a small amount could have seen us into the playoffs last season, but no it was kept in the safe, as I suspect the BBD money will be too.

All sums received & not spent reduce the amount of working capital finance needed from the owners. I think we all agree on what we suspect will happen, I'm just tidying up how it is referenced because "trousering" is pejorative. 

"Borrowing less from the owner" is the reality.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Maybe domestic reasons.

Neil lived in Longridge for a few years and if he's still there (or his family are) then it's a 3 hour journey to Sunderland whilst Stoke is about an hour and a quarter.

Edited by Mercer

23 minutes ago, phili said:

We possibly may see Mowbray at Sunderland?

Think Mowbray is in for a long wait on a Championship job, and zero chance of him turning up at Sunderland.

His reputation in local circles is far healthier than it is in wider football IMO. The only jobs I can see him ever getting in the Championship is somewhere like Rotherham.

Since leaving here Blackpool, Huddersfield, Stoke, Birmingham, QPR all changed manager and he's barely been mentioned.

@Herbie6590good point - as trousering could be just another word for putting proceeds in clubs pockets so no outside investment is necessary. In the past it’s been used in conspiracy here as dodgy or illicit payments out of the club.

Combine that with quotes from GB and JDT “sustainable premier league club” and past ones about Brentford (no owner investment) and what @K-Hod says perfect sense.

For me that’s the correct way to go, but it just shows how broken football is when we need to sell a player every season to even support a modest (for level and expectation) wage bill.

• Like 1

He'd do better over in la Liga in my opinion. Look how poor he started here when he was immediately under pressure from the fans/press given the amount we paid. As soon as he got away from that and enjoyed himself playing with Chile. He was like a new player  Everton might pay better but imagine the pressure he'd be under from day one. They are already being tipped for another relegation struggle. 

• Like 4

Overseas is probably BBD’s best footballing move. His progress through exposure to the Chilean National setup could be replicated again in a different footballing culture.

Club now need to ensure Wasserman don’t play silly buggers over who they want to speak to/close a deal with. It should be the highest bidder and we should be looking to encourage a club to win the auction and have the clearance to complete a deal.

From my very limited dealings with them (not in sports, admittedly) “Team Wass” are incredibly well-connected, knowledgable and competent from a client perspective but - generally speaking - a bit of a nightmare to deal with if you’re on the other side of the table. Hopefully Waggott and Suhail are up to the task. (🫤)

• Like 1