BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

39 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We have Wharton, Buckley, Morton and Garrett (and at a push Edun). 

None are like Travis who brings some crucial bite, leadership and comparative experience amidst the other unproven options.

Buckley may well transform into a good central midfielder once he gets used to playing deeper but has struggled so far, Morton looks technically good but lightweight and the other 2 have 45 minutes of league experience between them, as talented as Wharton looks. We need more there even assuming that Travis stays in midfield.

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm afraid the old 'deadline day' excuse of Rovers can't sign anyone until BBD is sold and if that happens at the last minute it screws us over just won't wash.

The club have known about this situation for months and should have a contingency plan in place. That would normally mean either bringing someone in regardless of BBD with a view to succession from January or next summer onwards, after all this is meant to be a multi year project and we are told there is a good budget either way, or alternatively would mean we refuse to sanction a sale unless we have a guaranteed replacement coming in. 

I would not be surprised to see him sold and then the excuses come about insufficient time to replace him but that sort of thing just won't cut it at this level. These are the sort of things that make the difference between play-offs and mid-table or mid-table and relegation. There's too much at stake to adopt the 'we are powerless' excuses and pocket the money on deadline day.

Problem we have is that nobody (bar a pathetic bid by Nice) is making a bid.

And for as long as that remains the case, we are powerless.

If a suitable bid lands at the last minute on deadline day, it does leave us in a theoretically hard place.

Hopefully we do receive a suitable bid in sufficient time to put our apparent contingency plan into place - whatever that may be.

• Like 1

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Pretty sure there's a stat that we've never won a league game when JRC has started.

Definitely not true (remember him getting man of the match in a high scoring win over reading once), but it won’t be far off, we definitely had a much worse record with him in compared to Nyambe 

Edited by Tom

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ross Barkley has just left Chelsea by mutual consent. 

I don't know what's gone wrong with him but worth a look as the Rothwell type replacement?

Genuinely thought he was going to be the next Gazza (obviously not as good but genuine quality in that mould) and an England mainstay. Sad how such talent goes to waste

1 minute ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Genuinely thought he was going to be the next Gazza (obviously not as good but genuine quality in that mould) and an England mainstay. Sad how such talent goes to waste

Ye, FA Cup, Europe League and World Club winner and probs on 80k pw....such a waste.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

He needs to go in this window.

We don’t need the risk of an injury or a drop in form diluting the price.

Plus the ability to pre sign a contract  in January and all the head games that go with that.  

I agree, as he apparently will not re-sign with us. I hope it happens. I’m just afraid our folks botch this, and he leaves on a free next year. 

20 minutes ago, Andy said:

Problem we have is that nobody (bar a pathetic bid by Nice) is making a bid.

And for as long as that remains the case, we are powerless.

If a suitable bid lands at the last minute on deadline day, it does leave us in a theoretically hard place.

Hopefully we do receive a suitable bid in sufficient time to put our apparent contingency plan into place - whatever that may be.

This. 

For me priority is:

1. Midfielder to cover the Travis role. We haven’t replaced Johnson or Davenport who could play there.

2. At least 1 or 2 more quality attackers that are proven goal scorers, especially if BBD is sold. The likes of Dolan, Vale and Markanday are good options to have but they can’t be relied upon. That just leaves us with Gallagher and Hedges which isn’t enough firepower to challenge in this league.

3. Cover for Brittain at RB. JRC isn’t good enough and we’ve had to resort to playing players out of position all season whenever Brittain is out.

I’m not super concerned about the LB position. I think we need to stick it out with Pickering and Edun until January. Look for a replacement if that is seen to be a problem area.

Don’t think we need any more CBs either. Carter and Phillips deserve a chance and we have our first choice 3 in Hyam, Ayala and Wharton already. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tom said:

Definitely not true (remember him getting man of the match in a high scoring win over reading once), but it won’t be far off, we definitely had a much worse record with him in compared to Nyambe 

Good effort that man.  Just googled it and he played in the 4-3 against Reading.

Played left back!!!

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

None of whom are like Travis!

There's different ways to skin a cat. At the elite level look at Carrick - hardly ever put a tackle in, but was a brilliant DM because he intercepted so many passes and retained possession. 

Unless they loan someone in, which I doubt, they're clearly reasonably happy with rolling the dice with Morton, Garrett and Wharton. Wharton looked sensational on Saturday and Morton looked very good - we'd struggle to bring in better. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Galgaterover10 said:

Almost like a completely new football structure has been put in place in the summer and the new manager has only had 8 games in charge!

when did football fans become so short sighted? If you lose one game the world is ending, can’t remember when it started but fans are miles worse than they use to be.

the best manager in the world pep with unlimited funds at city scraped 4th on the last day of the season his first season in charge. Losing your head because we’ve lost 3 in a row, we’ve also won 3 in a row. 

As usual, concern that we've lost 12 players but signed 4 is the equivalent of "losing your head"! Isn't it the Club that's" short-sighted"?

It quite likely that we'll finish mid-table as usual but that will equate to failure to build on last season and be a real let-down given the hopes that last season (up to January) created.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 47er said:

As usual, concern that we've lost 12 players but signed 4 is the equivalent of "losing your head"! Isn't it the Club that's" short-sighted"?

It quite likely that we'll finish mid-table as usual but that will equate to failure to build on last season and be a real let-down given the hopes that last season (up to January) created.

Under Venkys I would deem anything other than promotion to be total failure. 

4 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Under Venkys I would deem anything other than promotion to be total failure. 

I agree 100% - remember, we have BILLIONAIRE owners, not two bob Charlies scraping to get the wages together monthly. I wonder if it isn't a case that they don't WANT promotion, but that they are so far removed from reality, that they DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS? Which is why we are run like some far flung subsidiary of a chicken processing empire, rather than a proud and independent brand in our own right and under the 'normal' rules of association football in the 21st Century (witness the blood money in Newcastle, the arrogance of Citeh, the Corporate Greed model of United, the 'Don't ask any questions' approach at Arsenal etc etc etc).

C'mon Venky boys and girls, wise up - it has only been 11 years plus on the naughty but bewildered step... 

My guesses are:
BBD to Everton

Hirst to us on loan with option to buy (which is a very good deal)

Hopefully other names will emerge today or we will be blown out of water by a big signing tomorrow during the Blackpool game. 

Edited by alexanders

1 hour ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

I agree 100% - remember, we have BILLIONAIRE owners, not two bob Charlies scraping to get the wages together monthly. I wonder if it isn't a case that they don't WANT promotion, but that they are so far removed from reality, that they DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS? Which is why we are run like some far flung subsidiary of a chicken processing empire, rather than a proud and independent brand in our own right and under the 'normal' rules of association football in the 21st Century (witness the blood money in Newcastle, the arrogance of Citeh, the Corporate Greed model of United, the 'Don't ask any questions' approach at Arsenal etc etc etc).

C'mon Venky boys and girls, wise up - it has only been 11 years plus on the naughty but bewildered step... 

unfortunately it makes zero difference what they are worth. The issue is our low gates and income which is what our wage bill needs to be based on.

someone may be able to find a way to do it without us getting a point deduction under FFP but it would be risky.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ricky said:

unfortunately it makes zero difference what they are worth. The issue is our low gates and income which is what our wage bill needs to be based on.

someone may be able to find a way to do it without us getting a point deduction under FFP but it would be risky.

Really does baffle me how many fans can't get their heads round FFP 🤣

• Like 1