BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, Miker said:

Feeling positive at the conclusion of that window. Only thing I’m worried about is we don’t really have a decent alternative for Brittain at RB and I would’ve liked an attacker like Dembele brought in as I don’t know if Dolan/Markanday/Vale can be relied upon for goals. 

I guess they’re problems that can be solved in January if needed.

My feelings exactly. Good window overall but two more in the positions you stated is what i would have wanted to make it an excellent window. 

23 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

I'd have to watch again, but I can't really remember Bowler getting to the byline too many times...  I felt like the more obvious threat was coming from their left (our right) in the form of Lavery and their left back (name escapes me).  

That's not really his game, he usually cuts in ala BBD. 

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Can't believe the genuine disappointment from some that Brereton is still here, maybe I'm biased though as I was pretty much the only member in the Brereton fan club when times were tougher.

Name one person who is genuinely disappointed that Brereton is still here!

And, as to his early form, if you could see a good player in there you were/are a bloody genius.

And I've said that before to someone else.

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Sometimes? Every time Bowler had the ball he had Wharton, Pickering, and sometimes BDD on him straight away. We doubled/tripled up on him - that was the plan. Solely putting it on Pickering is way off. 

Sounds good. The manager not only recognised their strength and nullified it but recognised our weakness and reinforced it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Personally don't rate it as a window.

We were in desperate need of a fast Winger and a RB and LB.

2 weeks ago we got destroyed by Reading and they've hardly added anything since.

We purchased an RB being Brittain and fast wingers we have Mackanday and Dolan, not sure why we would want to flood an area we already have bodies in. LB agreed though! 

Again I'm struggling to buy into this 'multi window' build talk.

Of course in an ideal world this would happen, and come 2024 we'd end up with a strong, talented squad capable of hitting promotion. I've no doubt JDT and Broughton would like to run things this way.

I just don't think it is feasible or realistic either in this league or with these owners.

It is clear they have imposed quite a strict wage structure (not sure how that fits with suggestions Lenihan was offered over £20k a week which is clearly inconsistent with everything else that has happened here in recent years). This wage structure is what has resulted in an exodus of players, a huge turnover and increasing reliance and focus on youngsters from within or those from League One/bottom end Championship clubs.

Nothing wrong with having such a structure but its existence means we are going to continue to struggle to retain key players on contracts, and also means we are going to be vulnerable to other Championship clubs who are willing to pay more. I'm not on about parachute rich clubs which is fair enough but mediocre sides like Middlesbrough.

Come January or the summer there will need to be significant steps taken again just to replace outgoings. For example next summer as things stand (if not before) we will lose numerous players including Brereton and Ayala who have been key this season.

It's just a never ending cycle and that's the way it is at this level. I don't think we will ever reach an 'end point' of the journey because there will always be changes, wanted and unwanted. You have to go for it each year and give it your best shot, not plan on doing it next year or the year after, because something will happen before then that isn't expected.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Overall with the decision to hold on to BBD we look to be in a pretty good place. In the end it is the owners' money and if they are passing up the £12m or so that is down to them - they seem indifferent to losing money on the club. I don't understand references to relegation; I don't think there is the slightest prospect of that. In fact I think promotion is more likely than relegation. Of the clubs without parachute payments we are currently highest in the table and with a reasonable run with injuries - especially to BBD - have as good a chance as any of getting in to the playoffs; in particular with the age profile of our squad being so young there is every likelihood of some players improving significantly over the course of the season.

I've made a promise to myself never again to attempt to work out what the owners are thinking or intending.

Clearly they will not spend 2 bob on the stadium but will not blink an eye at losing millions when a player goes for nothing.

They fund us to the extent they choose to and nothing we can do or say will change anything.

The recruitment side of the club seems OK now and the Manager (coach) looks like the best we've had in the Venky era

The stuff Waggot is responsible for is poor and I'll never trust him after the Brockhall debacle. The idea that we could sell off half of Brockhall for housing and that would somehow improve outcomes for the squad was an insult to our intelligence.

So, in my eyes, the cup is three-quarters full! And that's a big improvement. 

• Like 1

Just one other thought; about 10 days or a fortnight ago, the mood seemed to have dropped from the euphoria which I - and many others, no doubt - certainly felt when JDT's appointment was announced.

That certainly came from left field; as have many of our new squad members. And suddenly there's a spring in my step again!

But let's not kid ourselves, tomorrow's game will be a tough one. Nigel Pearson's no mug as a manager; Bristol City are only one point and a couple of places below us; they've scored in every game this season so far. They'll be no walkover; tomorrow's game will give us an indication of how far we've come this season and how well-equipped we are for the remainder of the season.

Or at least until the midwinter transfer window opens!

It must have been really tempting to hoover up free transfers or whomever was available early in the window just to get bodies in to fill the squad up. Nine times out of ten you end up with an unbalanced unit and a manager having to try to come up with a system to fit the mess of players through the door.

Now all the shouting is over I think it's been quite a brave window - giving first team minutes to the youngsters to really test them (but also dropping them again if they don't perform) and then looking to fill the gaps with the correct players and not panicking if we have to wait a bit to sign them.

I think that keeping BBD is calculated, as having his quality in the side makes up for a bit of inexperience elsewhere - every goal he scores balances out a potential mistake from one of the teenagers. Not cashing in on him buys us a season to fix the squad up, rather than just a transfer window.

I expect that by January the current group of players will be thoroughly evaluated and we can probably expect a similar approach in the transfer window then. Given all the outgoings this is probably the only time I can really buy into a 'two or three transfer windows to sort out the squad' approach. 

I would have liked that extra out and out striker, but considering we got in a RB, CB, LB (utility), CM, and a Forward, and spent money doing it, I think it's got to go down as quite a good window. Start compiling the shortlists for January.

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Again I'm struggling to buy into this 'multi window' build talk.

Of course in an ideal world this would happen, and come 2024 we'd end up with a strong, talented squad capable of hitting promotion. I've no doubt JDT and Broughton would like to run things this way.

I just don't think it is feasible or realistic either in this league or with these owners.

It is clear they have imposed quite a strict wage structure (not sure how that fits with suggestions Lenihan was offered over £20k a week which is clearly inconsistent with everything else that has happened here in recent years). This wage structure is what has resulted in an exodus of players, a huge turnover and increasing reliance and focus on youngsters from within or those from League One/bottom end Championship clubs.

Nothing wrong with having such a structure but its existence means we are going to continue to struggle to retain key players on contracts, and also means we are going to be vulnerable to other Championship clubs who are willing to pay more. I'm not on about parachute rich clubs which is fair enough but mediocre sides like Middlesbrough.

Come January or the summer there will need to be significant steps taken again just to replace outgoings. For example next summer as things stand (if not before) we will lose numerous players including Brereton and Ayala who have been key this season.

It's just a never ending cycle and that's the way it is at this level. I don't think we will ever reach an 'end point' of the journey because there will always be changes, wanted and unwanted. You have to go for it each year and give it your best shot, not plan on doing it next year or the year after, because something will happen before then that isn't expected.

I agree completely that the idea of building a squad over a few years is beyond ridiculous. I’ve been saying that for years myself.

Ill give GB and JDT a lot of leeway on this window - and the January window as well (because not much happens then anyway) simply because they were left in an almost impossible position due to the situation Venkys left the club in at the end of last season.

This season is about JDT trying to implement his ways into the squad and into the club. Next season will be the season where I hope/expect?  to see real progress.

• Like 3

My take is its been the most productive window for years. I think unlike Mowbray, jdt has a plan and isn't just scatterguning with his approach because I don't think Mowbray really cared about promotion.  Jdt is obviously ambitious and I think he will add more quality in the January window. Hyam is definitely going to be a very steady player for us. Mola is versatile so he covers alot of areas. I hope hirst can prove his worth. Wharton is like we've just signed a 30 million pound player.  Of course I would have liked another attacker but I firmly believe jdt knows what he's doing 

• Like 5

What is good is we now have some competition for places. 

Centre back, we have decent options (when all fit) with Ayala, Hyam, Wharton, Phillips and Carter all battling out for a place. 5 good options there as well. Chuck in Mola as well but i don't know where his preferred position is, or where JDT see's him fitting in.

Buckley was probably almost guaranteed a start but now he's got Wharton showing him up and Morton playing well. Trav is captain so will play more often than not.

Plenty of attacking options battling it out as well now and with Dack getting back up to speed and BBD retained we should have players pushing for those places too,

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, JHRover said:

For example next summer as things stand (if not before) we will lose numerous players including Brereton and Ayala who have been key this season.

Out of interest, does anyone have a list of those who will be out of contract in the summer. 

Will ayala not have a year option as seems to be the norm these days? 

39 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He left footed mate...🤷‍♂️  

Pickering is the least aggressive full back I've seen for a while.....a right pansy

36 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

That's not really his game, he usually cuts in ala BBD. 

Okay, barring one shot which went over (first half I think) and one volley from a corner (not related to Pickering's performance, I can't remember him having any joy whatsoever. 

He's not my favourite by a mile, I've been extremely critical of him, but if Blackpool's best player has little more than a sniff against him then he's done his job, has he not? 

Just on the... "he's left footed mate" - he's a Premier League footballer - if he doesn't have the capacity to beat a full back on the outside and cross with his weak foot, he shouldn't be there, frankly - especially when his preferred avenue has clearly been found out by the opposition.  Grealish could be a decent comparison - right footed naturally plays on the left,  and certainly isn't afraid to go on the outside and keep his opposite number guessing. 

How would people line-up at full fitness now then? (with the obvious caveat of unknown capabilities of some signings)

Kaminski

Brittain - Hyam - Wharton - Pickering

Wharton - Travis - Morton

Dack

Hedges - Brereton

Subs: Pears, Ayala, Mola, Buckley, Szmodics, Gallagher, Hirst

Backup: Carter, Philips, Edun, JRC, Garrett, Dolan, Vale

Perhaps I'd start Ayala, when fully fit he's one of the best in the leauge.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, R0verb0y said:

I know what you mean, @AllRoverAsia; and this is why I can't understand the incomprehension @chaddyroverssays he has for those of us who compare the progress the club makes season on season.

However, if I may suggest, beating the Mackems at their place - and Ewood, obvs! - and topping that Lancashire mini-League will only be the mark of a "good" season for me.

A "Very good" season will see what feels like a re-booted Rovers in the play-offs; an excellent season will see us back in the Premier League.

But Rome wasn't built in a day; so, with no disrespect, @AllRoverAsia , I hope JDT has the team prepared for my definition of a very good season rather than yours!

Basically, imo, if we finish the season above the Belgians we will be in the top 6.

• Like 1