BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

As much as I'd have like Dembele here, there is no guarantee he would have definitely improved our first 11. So although I'm dissappinted we won't get to see what he could've done in a Rovers shirt I'm not gutted. On top of that, he ended up being dropped at Bournemouth for innafective and anonymous performances. His career could likely end up petering out in Turkey or Greece without a whimper. 

The ones we made moves for but missed out on that would have 100% improved us happened earlier in the window... Ahmedhodzic and Colak. If we're going to be dissappinted about what we didn't bring in then those are the ones in my opinion, clearly way above championship level and no doubt JDT's first choices. 

What's made me laugh a little bit is when we signed Hirst, Greg has openly stated that he was our first attacking forward option but from what I heard we bid for Colak way before him. 

It's a fairly decent window considering what we lost but no one can say if it's been a success until we see how they perform. My biggest concern is Szmodics, he just doesn't look the standard of player that can improve us in any way from what I've seen so far. Perhaps my opinion has been based on difficult circumstances of losing key players, hopefully he proves me wrong.

Looking at it positively... Hyam looks encouraging and I could foresee Mola taking the left back spot from Pickering considering his apparent height and pace. Hopefully Hirst gives us a new cutting edge in the final third and some new ideas. 

• Like 2

It looked like Buckley started thinking “ this game is easy “ after a pretty good season last time out. It’s only easy when your hard work has made it easy. If he doesn’t learn that he’ll find the road downhill can be as rapid as the road leading upward.  I like Whiteman and I would have signed him when we had the chance. He’s a very good player. Having said that at this moment in time I don’t think I’d swap him for Buckley. 

Buckley needs to take a look at the work rate of the two lads running the show in central midfield at the moment. He’s behind both of those and he could end up behind Mola. Maybe he should be polishing up his right back skills.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It smacks a bit of Gallagher though giving Buckley a 5 year deal just as he completely runs out of form.

If Broughton manages to tie down players who are actually likely to be sought after like Phillips and Wharton to long term deals and Brereton to any sort of deal that gives us a bit of protection then that will be the time to sit up and take notice.

Form is temporary, Class is permanent!

• Like 1

The club is obviously looking at the alarming amount of players contracts that have either run out or put us in a situation where we sell for low fee/get low balled all summer and end up with nothing, so have started getting some players on some longer contracts. 

Hopefully Buckley is the first of a few.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont get the obsession of half full and half empty, why do people need to be either, surely there is a middle ground?

All down to the individual attitude to life. My attitude has always work for me

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

And Aynslea Pears is a "good keeper?!"

You weren’t saying last season when he kept 3 clean sheet back to back. 

Very quick to jump on him after one bad game

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Agreed on this - yes, he was horrendous against Wigan, but it's unfair to forget some good performances (and clean sheets) earlier in the season.

As a number 2, he's fine and a lot better than some we've had in the recent past.

The Wigan game sadly marked his card for a lot of fans.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Neal said:

As much as I'd have like Dembele here, there is no guarantee he would have definitely improved our first 11. So although I'm dissappinted we won't get to see what he could've done in a Rovers shirt I'm not gutted. On top of that, he ended up being dropped at Bournemouth for innafective and anonymous performances. His career could likely end up petering out in Turkey or Greece without a whimper. 

The ones we made moves for but missed out on that would have 100% improved us happened earlier in the window... Ahmedhodzic and Colak. If we're going to be dissappinted about what we didn't bring in then those are the ones in my opinion, clearly way above championship level and no doubt JDT's first choices. 

What's made me laugh a little bit is when we signed Hirst, Greg has openly stated that he was our first attacking forward option but from what I heard we bid for Colak way before him. 

It's a fairly decent window considering what we lost but no one can say if it's been a success until we see how they perform. My biggest concern is Szmodics, he just doesn't look the standard of player that can improve us in any way from what I've seen so far. Perhaps my opinion has been based on difficult circumstances of losing key players, hopefully he proves me wrong.

Looking at it positively... Hyam looks encouraging and I could foresee Mola taking the left back spot from Pickering considering his apparent height and pace. Hopefully Hirst gives us a new cutting edge in the final third and some new ideas. 

Who is Colak? This is the first I'm hearing about him and I've been reading this thread all summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Lenihan: 5m

Nyambe: 2.5m

Rothwell: 5-8m

Brereton: 15-20m

Total:  27.5-35.5m in assets walking for nothing.

Compound that with flogging  Arma and Raya it's absolutely horrific. 

Whatever the values nothing is still nothing and the fat controllers head should've rolled it would at any other club.

I don't think Mowbray and Venus covered themselves in glory in this either there is no way they can't share some of the responsibilty.  Maybe that's why they weren't kept on amongst other things but it's done now and we finally seem to have someone in charge of the football operation who just might be able to organise a piss up in a brewery.

Up to the ownership to keep backing these fellas now and make up for the shortfall the other lot created by losing millions worth for nothing.

2 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Lenihan: 5m

Nyambe: 2.5m

Rothwell: 5-8m

Brereton: 15-20m

Total:  27.5-35.5m in assets walking for nothing.

Compound that with flogging  Arma and Raya it's absolutely horrific. 

Those look like fantasy transfer fees that no Championship club would pay for Lenihan or Nyambe. 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

You’ve all been told before to stop accusing people of baiting and accusing people of being fans of other clubs.

Nothing has changed, so just grow up and stop it. There won’t be any more warnings, but if you violate it at any point in the future, your bans will get longer. 
Don’t bitch and moan when it eventually happens.

4 hours ago, Andy said:

Agreed on this - yes, he was horrendous against Wigan, but it's unfair to forget some good performances (and clean sheets) earlier in the season.

As a number 2, he's fine and a lot better than some we've had in the recent past.

I know it's not something that counts for much, but I also get the impression that Pears is quite popular in the dressing room. The players were ecstatic for him when he filled in well last year and seems quite social on the sidelines/after games. Not a bad quality for a backup keeper.

Obviously can't defend that one Wigan performance and he doesn't have the talent to be a 1st choice keeper, but I think he's deputised fine when called upon. Hopefully Eastham and/or Hilton can get some decent loans, while let Pears sit on the bench/fill in for Cup games...

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I certainly wasn't calling Pears a good keeper after his clean sheets. He was rarely troubled because the defence were on point, and the only exceptional save he made in that period was only necessary because of his poor positioning. He did alright for a few games, no more, no less. He couldn't have done much better, but there wasn't much to do. Then he reverted to type and put in the worst keeping performance I've seen since Fettis.

Contrary to some who like to claim he is only a professional because of his dad, I do think there is a decent keeper in there if he can work out the mental side of the game. But for now he is a poor keeper at this level and the thought of relying on him for say, 8 games, fills me with dread.

Do you not think Buckley loss of form could be down to him playing slightly different position ? .. for me his best games were when Mowbray played him further up the field , not the false 9 nonsense but when in a 3 with Travis and Rothwell and he was the most advanced of the 3 Closing down defenders and winning the ball higher up the pitch 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AJW said:

Do you not think Buckley loss of form could be down to him playing slightly different position ? .. for me his best games were when Mowbray played him further up the field , not the false 9 nonsense but when in a 3 with Travis and Rothwell and he was the most advanced of the 3 Closing down defenders and winning the ball higher up the pitch 

I’m not sure mate. Historically and other than last season, Buckley has always played as an ‘8’ (like this season). Mowbray was protecting him a little playing him further forward.

I just think he’s hit his first proper blip following a great season where he won Young Player Of The Year. He’s been poor and needed dropping but ultimately he’s a bloody brilliant player and I’m sure will return to form. Him and Wharton in full flow together will be something to look forwards to.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Buckley can play several positions, he will be needed this season for sure.

The current competition for the places he can play may just be what he needs to up his game.

Basically he's a bloody good talented footballer who needs managed properly and now treated as an adult and not top boy in the class.

Yeah, think he needs a kick up the ass. Did all the hard work, cemented himself in the team but has not really kicked on this season. Probably felt it was job done - in the team now and a mainstay. Under TM it probably would have been. The emergence of Wharton is brilliant because it should give him that kick up the ass.

On performances, I don't see how he gets in our midfield right now. Certainly Wharton deserves to keep his place for the time being and Morton has played very well too and his loan will probably demand minutes too. Travis captain and the ultimate shithouser that all teams need. 

• Like 1

Omar Elabdealloui has terminated his contract with Galatasaray.  Ex Man City, Feyernoord, Hull City and Olympiacos right back.  Only 30 years old.  Might be one Greg has links to from his Glimt days.  

The one main stumbling block might be he was declared to be nearly legally blind with a 5% chance of recovery last December.  He's said he's looking for a club which might indicate he's recovered enough. 

However that being said we have had Bradley Orr and Nuno Ribiero in recent years play the role and having watched them I was never sure how much of the game they could see either 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

It's good to have a manager that will say to the players "you're playing shit so I'm dropping you for the next game"

I get the impression JDT is a tough but fair kind of guy.

💯 agree - from what I heard from the coaching team JDT Is VERY specific with what he wants. He doesn’t accept any deviation but is really likeable and fair.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andy said:

Respectfully I completely disagree. 

His performances in some of those clean sheets wasn't exactly convincing either. Positionally, in possession and coming for crosses he makes me slextremely nervous.

Don't forget games like Reading at home in the lockdown season. He's a howler machine.

I can't think of a worse 2nd choice goalkeeper we've had so I'd like to know who he's better than?

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Respectfully I completely disagree. 

His performances in some of those clean sheets wasn't exactly convincing either. Positionally, in possession and coming for crosses he makes me slextremely nervous.

Don't forget games like Reading at home in the lockdown season. He's a howler machine.

I can't think of a worse 2nd choice goalkeeper we've had so I'd like to know who he's better than?

He's no worse than Jason Steele and he was first choice!

• Like 1