BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Reading (a) - 20/3/22

I'm deathly afraid of Lucas Joao here, thought he was very good on loan at Rovers and has proved to be a sharp striker on this level.

Some key decisions for Mowbray to face as well. If we keep the back four, which one of the three centre halves moves to the bench? The simple solution is to play Lenihan at right back, but that's a temporary solution at best and one made to sustain harmony rather than for the effectiveness of the team. Then again, apparently Nyambe won't be fit, so do we use Rankin-Costello despite some weak performances lately? Benching your captain is a big decision, a fateful throw of the dice, but it might just be for the best of the team right now. I wouldn't mind us going back to the 3-4-1-2 though, we've never stopped creating chances with it (apart from the first half on Monday) and maybe the three goals in the second half against Derby translates to that formation as well.  

• Like 1

Incy would love to do us. For old times sake and to get them out of the poo. 

He has been bigging it up saying it was  “My Team” at Bournemouth and saying they should have had three points. 

We will need to watch the cards for this game as they will be cruising for a bruising. 

It’ll be very interesting to see what Mowbray goes with. There’s a definite argument to be made for going to a back 4, but personally I feel that the positioning of our forward players has been the issue lately rather than the number of defenders. As much as I wish it wasn’t the case, Dack looks a way off being ready to start games. A lot would also rest on whether Nyambe is fit or not.

Ideally:          
                           Kaminski 

Lenihan   Van Hecke   Wharton

Nyambe                                             Giles

Buckley   Travis   Rothwell

Dolan   Gallagher

Otherwise:      
                          Kaminski

Lenihan   Van Hecke  Wharton  Pickering

Dolan    Gallagher  Giles

Lenihan isn’t ideal at right back, but neither is JRC at wing back. If we end up back at Gallagher marking corner flags out wide again I’ll despair.

It shouldn’t take much to tactically outwit Paul Ince. 3 points is a must.

38 minutes ago, JoeH said:

The 3/5 hasn't been working, we've been nervous with it. I think you go 4-3-3 personally. Gallagher central, Dolan or Khadra on the right, Giles on the left. Try and get the first goal. Go to the system that suits Dack as soon as he can play.

But Dack wouldn't be in a 4-3-3 anyway, as you said, he would be best in a 4-2-3-1 which you are wary of playing at the moment without him because we don't have anyone similar.

Once Dack comes back, it won't be as simple as him playing off a big man simply because we don't have anyone similar to Graham, nor is Dack this one dimensional player anyway that can only play off a big man.

And the back 3 has been working defensively, and there is no reason to suggest that we couldn't have that same front 3 of Giles left, Dolan right and Gallagher central, with Travis and Rothwell as the 2 midfielders, and the solidity of a back 3 behind that. We could even play Giles as a wing back and have an extra attacking player ahead of that.

Khadra has been crap for quite a few games now, so I would drop him personally. 

This is the most important game of our season as it’s the next game - win and the pressure is on the other teams not us ! Lose or draw and it’s a different scenario pressure comes on big time. I don’t think it’s a game for Dack to start yet keep him on the bench. Dolan has to start his speed is crucial in this game - no chances for me it’s got be go from the first minute and no defensive midfielder as a forward player🤬

21 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

It’ll be very interesting to see what Mowbray goes with. There’s a definite argument to be made for going to a back 4, but personally I feel that the positioning of our forward players has been the issue lately rather than the number of defenders. As much as I wish it wasn’t the case, Dack looks a way off being ready to start games. A lot would also rest on whether Nyambe is fit or not.

Ideally:          
                           Kaminski 

Lenihan   Van Hecke   Wharton

Nyambe                                             Giles

Dolan   Gallagher

Otherwise:      
                          Kaminski

Lenihan   Van Hecke  Wharton  Pickering

Dolan    Gallagher  Giles

Lenihan isn’t ideal at right back, but neither is JRC at wing back. If we end up back at Gallagher marking corner flags out wide again I’ll despair.

It shouldn’t take much to tactically outwit Paul Ince. 3 points is a must.

all we need to do is pick our best players in their correct positions,keep it tight for 20 minutes to shut their crowd up and then impose ourselves,tis a simple game is`nt it

44 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Incy would love to do us. For old times sake and to get them out of the poo. 

He has been bigging it up saying it was  “My Team” at Bournemouth and saying they should have had three points. 

We will need to watch the cards for this game as they will be cruising for a bruising. 

I'd forgotten they'd scraped the bottom of the barrel and brought him in.

Now he was an abysmal manager, makes Mowbray look like Ancelotti.

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Reading (a) - 20/3/22

No doubt Reading will be being talked of as a huge outfit in a false position with a team full of quality by our man on the sidelines.  

Tough game we already know and they probably should be in a more comfortable position but we don't need full pager spreads telling us so. 

Hopefully a good counter attacking away day, let them come to us and don't bother about our possession stats.

Reading  0    Rovers   1

Whatever team we play - he has to play Gallagher as a centre forward - who is told to stay up front and stretch their defence. We know he has his limitations - but Tuesday showed that with the right service he is very difficult to stop. Or maybe after watching Bradley Johnson as a false nine - it was a case that anyone would look good.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Interesting. There’s obviously going to be a debate as to which system to play on Saturday given the game of two halves on Tuesday. I wonder which way Mowbray will jump. I’m just a bit concerned about the fullbacks, Lenihan isn’t a natural right back and Pickering hasn’t really got going since his return from injury. It’s a shame both of Nyambe and Edun are injured.

My switch to back 4 wouldn't depend on Nyambe being fit or not. Lenihan would play there for this game. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

But Dack wouldn't be in a 4-3-3 anyway, as you said, he would be best in a 4-2-3-1 which you are wary of playing at the moment without him because we don't have anyone similar.

Once Dack comes back, it won't be as simple as him playing off a big man simply because we don't have anyone similar to Graham, nor is Dack this one dimensional player anyway that can only play off a big man.

And the back 3 has been working defensively, and there is no reason to suggest that we couldn't have that same front 3 of Giles left, Dolan right and Gallagher central, with Travis and Rothwell as the 2 midfielders, and the solidity of a back 3 behind that. We could even play Giles as a wing back and have an extra attacking player ahead of that.

Khadra has been crap for quite a few games now, so I would drop him personally. 

Gallagher should play the striker with Dack off him. If Dack can't start then play Buckley there. 

Yes 3 at the back as worked mostly defensively in recent games BUT we haven't been winning games with it. 

Giles on the wing would be able to provide good crosses in for forward players plus we should be pressing from the front 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My switch to back 4 wouldn't depend on Nyambe being fit or not. Lenihan would play there for this game. 

Gallagher should play the striker with Dack off him. If Dack can't start then play Buckley there. 

Yes 3 at the back as worked mostly defensively in recent games BUT we haven't been winning games with it. 

Giles on the wing would be able to provide good crosses in for forward players plus we should be pressing from the front 

You haven't really addressed what I am saying going back to your suggestion to revert back to playing like we did with Graham. Gallagher couldn't be any more different to Graham and is not a target man. If Dack does play behind Gallagher, the tactic of playing off him wouldn't work, we would have to play things a lot differently to the Graham days. 

There is no reason why we can't retain the back 5 and still have Giles wide left and Gallagher central. 

I am also surprised that you would consider starting Dack 2 cameos and a week after you was painfully telling anyone who dared to mention his name that he wouldn't be fit this season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You haven't really addressed what I am saying going back to your suggestion to revert back to playing like we did with Graham. Gallagher couldn't be any more different to Graham and is not a target man. If Dack does play behind Gallagher, the tactic of playing off him wouldn't work, we would have to play things a lot differently to the Graham days. 

There is no reason why we can't retain the back 5 and still have Giles wide left and Gallagher central. 

I am also surprised that you would consider starting Dack 2 cameos and a week after you was painfully telling anyone who dared to mention his name that he wouldn't be fit this season.

playing with two men up front,or one with the other in a free role gives you options,the false nine ******* relies on buckley/whoever to hold the ball up and be in the right place at the right time,personally we hav`nt got the personel to make it work,buckley could`nt finish his tea either,the lad has got a great eye for a killer pass but he can`t shoot and can`t run

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Yeah... so start 4-3-3, go to the 4-2-3-1 once you've got Dack

Hes been more animated and vocal on the sidelines this season than the last 2 put together lets be fair.

That's why the other nights 2nd half no show was very odd although there does remain the remote possibility he was under the weather or something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Well I have but you aren't getting the point. So I just leave it there

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Cos in recent games we aren't games with 5 at the back and I want a number 10 playing off a striker not a false 9 anymore. 

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He's not match fit at all that's clear to see or like Dack could be but after his 2 cameos if we can get 60/65 mins from Dack before a 2 weeks gap then I would start. If we can't then I would start Buckley in the 10 and replace with Dack after 60 mins. 

I'd be starting tomorrow exactly how we started the second half on Tuesday, but I realise it's highly unlikely.  Much rather go for the jugular straight from the off rather than end up chasing a game again. Nice 2 week break for Dacky to rest up after this one so he definitely needs 45 mins+ under his belt, anything less isn't going to aid his recovery at this point.

Do the above and I'd fancy a 2 nil away win, but it's incredibly difficult to guess what Mowbray will do from the start. He sure as hell wouldn't risk the Johnson false 9 again, would he!?! 🤯

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think for the second time in BRFCS history I agree with you Chaddy.

Edited by booth
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

If Nyambe was fit he’d be my right back in a back four.

• Like 2