BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

10 minutes ago, lraC said:

Good post that and I am particularly interested what you have said about Buckley. I also agree that he will go far in the game when he stops being shunted about and consider him to be one of our best players.

From what I have seen of him, when he is played in his best role, I think he is a real gem and could be a player to build a team around.

He’ll never get to where he wants to be until he sorts out his attitude. The number of cards he gets is ridiculous.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

It's the hope that kills you in the end.

From a season where there was a strong belief we we would really struggle we ended up defying expectations and, just for a while, it felt like we were headed back to the promised land. 

Ultimately our long standing failings returned to put the kibosh on our season; death spirals, wafer thin squad, lack of goals, poor transfer windows, management errors etc. etc.

As I look back now and think about Mowbray's reign as a whole I can say that it seems to me unarguable that we're in a better place than when he arrived (this squad is far more exciting than the one he inherited)., Perversely, I'm also comfortable in saying I'm glad he's leaving as the time definitely feels right. 

Of course, what happens post-Mowbray depends largely on who replaces him and, understandably, given previous appointments there's a lot of anxiety about this.

The squad is going to need a significant overhaul too; Nyambe, Lenihan, Johnson, Davenport & Rothwell all gone.. not to mention a set of loanee's, some who contributed much to the season, returning to their parent clubs (Van Hecke, Khedra, Poveda, Giles). Essentially that's almost half the staring eleven gone in one fell swoop.

Maybe I'm being naive in saying that I'd like to think Rovers remain an attractive proposition for the right manager. Maybe it ties in to not wanting one of the usual journeymen who seem to do the rounds everywhere (Steve Bruce being a typical example) but instead a young hungry manager who sees the opportunities as much as the challenges.  

It's going to an interesting summer that's for sure.

58 minutes ago, Gav said:

Do you know of any other business where the owners are absent, yet CEO has no decision making power Matt?

For that reason alone we are punching above our weight and I’ve not even mentioned or mid-table budget.

Any company on the planet would go to the wall within about 3 months if they were run like Rovers.

• Like 1

The lack of any formal statement suggests to me that Venky's are still expecting Mowbray to visit Pune before the end of June.

Suhail is the owners 'conduit' ( Mowbray's words ) and I am sure they talk to each other sometimes and since 'plans are in place' for next season, the subject of the manager's position must have come up.

Mowbray has stated that he has no new contract but he has not actually resigned from his current one. He is still the manager until the end of June. I think he has left enough ambiguity to make a U turn and accept a new contract if offered.

• Like 4

I can almost feel consensus breaking out.  Proper discussion, no name calling and some facts about the (to me) hazy Bowyer era.  Life is never as clearcut as we like to think and TM is not a saint, but nether is he the villain of the piece IMHO.  He was trying to set out to fans and to anyone else willing to listen what the options are for the club in his comments yesterday.  The truth is that it will need a fantastic leader, some investment and something like proper governance to turn the club around.  And a large slice of luck.

What a complete mess the club has been though, from the madhouse early days to the radio-silence times we now live in.

The club has no board to speak of, no clear decision-making structures, little input from the fans (QEGS old boys excepted of course - still waiting) and the feel of a place trading on old glories.

There are some positive things, the work to get young people from the town's low income areas is the most obvious, but there are many committed people in and around the club doing their best.  

So for me the target has to be the owners.  Get in place proper accountability, transparency and a sense of respect for an institution that came into being at the dawn of football and was an expression of civic pride and ambition.

Pride and ambition.

We deserve nothing less and demand nothing less.  

Edited by Paul Mellelieu
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I can almost feel consensus breaking out.  Proper discussion, no name calling and some facts about the (to me) hazy Bowyer era.  Life is never as clearcut as we like to think and TM is not a saint, but nether is he the villain of the piece IMHO.  He was trying to set out to fans and to anyone else willing to listen what the options are for the club in his comments yesterday.  The truth is that it will need a fantastic leader, some investment and something like proper governance to turn the club around.  And a large slice of luck.

What a complete mess the club has been though, from the madhouse early days to the radio-silence times we now live in.

The club has no board to speak of, no clear decision-making structures, little input from the fans (QEGS old boys excepted of course - still waiting) and the feel of a place trading on old glories.

There are some positive things, the work to get young people from the town's low income areas is the most obvious, but there are many committed people in and around the club doing their best.  

So for me the target has to be the owners.  Get in place proper accountability, transparency and a sense of respect for an institution that came into being at the dawn of football and was an expression of civic pride and ambition.

Pride and ambition.

We deserve nothing less and demand nothing less.  

Rovers at the moment is like the last engineering company I worked at. Nut case of an owner making crazy decisions all the time, it was like a bath with both taps on full but somebody had left the plug out. It should, and could, have been a gold mine. In the end it went bang.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Rovers at the moment is like the last engineering company I worked at. Nut case of an owner making crazy decisions all the time, it was like a bath with both taps on full but somebody had left the plug out. It should, and could, have been a gold mine. In the end it went bang.

You had someone making decisions.

Surprised me that depsite our amazing run and looking good for top 2 never mind top 6, that there’s a good chance we finish this season with a whole 3 points more than we did in 2019/20.

Mowbray may have done well at Blackburn overall but to be nowhere near the top 6 with a striker scoring 30 goals last season (Solanke and Mitrovic have Bournemouth and Fulham top 2) is poor in what was a weak division.

Weak league again this season and we go from an automatic promotion spot to 19 points from our last 17 games and out of the play off hunt (with a game still to play).

We should have been top 6 last two seasons, regardless of how the play offs went. Clubs like Barnsley, Swansea, Huddersfield and Luton have managed it. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, levi said:

If he's known dyche for a long time....how come he didn't know rovers and burnley are rivals??

Probably because he’s that carefree about the club and fans that he didn’t do his research. You’d have thought he’d have at least googled the club(or maybe looked in a book as he’s maybe not tech savvy) and looked at our history in preparation of his job application here(or maybe he didn’t have to have an interview). 

At least he knew about the Shearer and Sutton days I guess. 🙄

Edited by Dan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, matt83 said:

I’m not sure if the Venkys/swag had more input that would change things for the better. But I agree a proper ceo given decision making power would solve a lot of problems.

Out of interest with everything considered where do you see rovers natural weigh as? Even with Venkys/swag I see it as mid table in this division.

I’d probably agree with you Matt (11th to 15th) seems about right.

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

I’d probably agree with you Matt (11th to 15th) seems about right.

If we're correlating finishing position directly  with income about 6th to 8th is where we should be finishing once you have added Venky's contribution of £15- £20m p.a. on top of our revenue.

Obviously, it doesn't work exactly like that anyway. Someone had better tell Luton they can't pass go, can't collect £100m and have to be reassigned to 24th.

• Like 1

Too many players played out of position is Mowbray s legacy highlighted yesterday by playing lenihan at right back in a four(a reasonable centre half at this level) but playing two yards deeper than the other back three for Bournemouth first goal and caught up field for the other two with Bournemouth exploiting the space behind him. Whoever the next manager is just play the players in their normal positions and then we might have a chance.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

This 15m-20m "contribution" is not relevant to judging performance.

Of course it is. If you can afford to spend more on wages for the squad, theoretically you should be finishing higher in the table.

Lot of collective amnesia on here today, we're barely 24 hours on from an absolutely pitiful capitulation both in terms of yesterday's game and the second part of the season, and already people seem to have forgotten how poor the last four years have been. Even trying to make out "It wasn't that bad really."

Yes it was.

And he hasn't actually gone yet. I will refrain from popping open the bubbly until the Club have commented on his employment status and he has physically exited the building.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, JC4LAB said:

Diaz international duty followed by injury cost us this year..Not Mobrays doing

It was his decision not to sign a back up striker in January and it was obvious if anything happened to BBD we'd be screwed as no-one else was scoring.

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If we're correlating finishing position directly  with income about 6th to 8th is where we should be finishing once you have added Venky's contribution of £15- £20m p.a. on top of our revenue.

Obviously, it doesn't work exactly like that anyway. Someone had better tell Luton they can't pass go, can't collect £100m and have to be reassigned to 24th.

People love to leave that bit out.

Fact is if we look at recent accounts they've shoved money in every conceivable way even paying money to sponsor the club they already own.

I don't believe for 1 second that if Mowbray asked for a wage contribution towards a loan striker in Jan, to cover BBDs Chile spell and help kick on the promotion tilt they'd have said no.  I do very much believe he didn't ask for that and wasn't arsed about it because instead he preferred another development player.