BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

12 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

I think you're missing the bit where Mowbray is craftily trying to put it all on the players and taking himself out of the equation in the process. If we fail it's down to the players, not me. That's what he is trying to get out there.

"The players have to drive each other on"

"The players have to finish the season strong"

"The players could make it a memorable season"

When asked by Andy Bayes, post Reading, if being out of the top 6 before we next play would be a big psychological blow his response was:

"I think it's an interesting sort of dynamic for the team to see whether they enjoy chasing or maybe they've found the pressure of maintaining it tough for them".

Everything is being put on the players. He hasn't once talked about going for promotion whilst we were up there. Not once. No mention of promotion or the playoffs in today's article from him either. We all agree that the owners are absolute morons, but I am questioning Mowbray's personal pride, ambition and will to win. Where is it?

He was happy to give it the big "Blackburn Rovers should be in the Premier League" and "we're going to make a push for the play offs" in his early years. Why is he completely silent now on those views when a true opportunity is before him?

He's reminding me of one of those bluffers you meet in life. They give it the big man talk when they know they are in no danger of being in that situation. Yet when that opportunity or situation arises for them to prove themselves, they brick it, try to slink away and pretend as if they didn't say anything. That's Mowbray right now.

He's a nice guy though, so it's all good.

You like many are going through every interview with a fine toothcomb to look for any sentence that in your mind strengthens this view that hes simply trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes. 

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You like many are going through every interview with a fine toothcomb to look for any sentence that in your mind strengthens this view that hes simply trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes. 

What is wrong with that ?

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not a single mention of trying to retrieve the season and secure a play off place.

Still, as long as he's looking forward to his hols with his family.............

What an absolute joke, 4 seasons in the Championship, £80 -£90m of the owners money down the pan and half of the first eleven departing for nothing in the summer.

Fuck off Mowbray. When you depart we might finally have a chance to move forward forward for the first time in years.

Only 7 games to go. Hopefully. 

Nasty stuff Rev.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

he`s an honest guy sure enough though his  arrogant attitude about his own tactical prowess is why we are struggling,fantastic run of games but he reverts to type and back comes the possesion based **** that got us two wins in seventeen last season

We've seen before how his narrative changes when things fall away, more they/them and less we/us.  

That isn't nitpicking it's just plain fact and of course he won't be the only one doing it but he has a certain way about him even the most in denial should be able to pick up on. Very crafty old bugger is our Tone hes been playing this game a long time but hes done it too many times here now to be able to hide it.

Next up will be the honesty and integrity lines again whilst bemoaning how far Blackburn is from home.

A leader he isn't but a man who can detach himself from it all he's an expert in that field.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he`s an honest guy sure enough though his  arrogant attitude about his own tactical prowess is why we are struggling,fantastic run of games but he reverts to type and back comes the possesion based **** that got us two wins in seventeen last season

You mean we could potentially win another game this year?

23 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

I think you're missing the bit where Mowbray is craftily trying to put it all on the players and taking himself out of the equation in the process. If we fail it's down to the players, not me. That's what he is trying to get out there.

"The players have to drive each other on"

"The players have to finish the season strong"

"The players could make it a memorable season"

When asked by Andy Bayes, post Reading, if being out of the top 6 before we next play would be a big psychological blow his response was:

"I think it's an interesting sort of dynamic for the team to see whether they enjoy chasing or maybe they've found the pressure of maintaining it tough for them".

Everything is being put on the players. He hasn't once talked about going for promotion whilst we were up there. Not once. No mention of promotion or the playoffs in today's article from him either. We all agree that the owners are absolute morons, but I am questioning Mowbray's personal pride, ambition and will to win. Where is it?

He was happy to give it the big "Blackburn Rovers should be in the Premier League" and "we're going to make a push for the play offs" in his early years. Why is he completely silent now on those views when a true opportunity is before him?

He's reminding me of one of those bluffers you meet in life. They give it the big man talk when they know they are in no danger of being in that situation. Yet when that opportunity or situation arises for them to prove themselves, they brick it, try to slink away and pretend as if they didn't say anything. That's Mowbray right now.

He's a nice guy though, so it's all good.

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We've seen before how his narrative changes when things fall away, more they/them and less we/us.  

That isn't nitpicking it's just plain fact and of course he won't be the only one doing it but he has a certain way about him even the most in denial should be able to pick up on. Very crafty old bugger is our Tone hes been playing this game a long time but hes done it too many times here now to be able to hide it.

Next up will be the honesty and integrity lines again whilst bemoaning how far Blackburn is from home.

A leader he isn't but a man who can detach himself from it all he's an expert in that field.

As I said earlier, bottler.

29 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

"Arrogant attitude about his own tactical prowess" in relation to him apparently going back to possession football, again a load of shite. I have certainly not seen a switch to a possession based game. We still usually have less of the ball, even with teams figuring us out and trying to give us the ball to reduce our threat in transition. Lets stick to tactical things that actually have happened.

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

"Arrogant attitude about his own tactical prowess" in relation to him apparently going back to possession football, again a load of shite. I have certainly not seen a switch to a possession based game. We still usually have less of the ball, even with teams figuring us out and trying to give us the ball to reduce our threat in transition. Lets stick to tactical things that actually have happened.

have you been watching for the last 2 months!!!!,barring the 2nd half against derby(where the lads took control of the situation themselves) we`ve been exactly like  last season

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I was unaware of any tactics going on at all since December. 

• Like 1

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

have you been watching for the last 2 months!!!!,barring the 2nd half against derby(where the lads took control of the situation themselves) we`ve been exactly like  last season

Ignoring this agenda driven drivel that implies that when we do well, its nothing to do with the manager. We have probably had slightly more possession statistically in recent weeks, Mowbray said as much that teams had started to play differently against us to prevent us hitting them on the counter attack. But its nothing like last season when we had a gameplan to try and dominate games via possession, playing it across the back, side to side, wearing teams down. We are not trying to do that again.

10 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not a single mention of trying to retrieve the season and secure a play off place.

Still, as long as he's looking forward to his hols with his family.............

What an absolute joke, 4 seasons in the Championship, £80 -£90m of the owners money down the pan and half of the first eleven departing for nothing in the summer.

Fuck off Mowbray. When you depart we might finally have a chance to move forward forward for the first time in years.

Only 7 games to go. Hopefully. 

That says more about the owners and their shocking mismanagement in my view.

I have little time for Mowbray but trying to absolve these owners by blaming him is bordering on lunacy.

• Like 6

I've just had enough of him. I'm sick to the back teeth of reading even short parts of his media interviews because they just annoy me.

I fully agree that he is actively shifting culpability away from himself and onto the players. So if as expected we fall short he can wash his hands of any responsibility for it.

I anticipate a large chunk of the blame will go the way of the departing players especially Rothwell and Nyambe - their situations won't have helped. Probably also the Brereton/Chile/Injury scenario.

All I can see in his interviews this week is a man positioning himself for a contract extension and go again next season. Talk about planning ahead as though he will be here even though he doesn't know if he will be - he makes it sound like this is a unique virtue. All managers have to approach it that way if they don't know what their future holds, they could be sacked at any time yet have to work on the basis they won't be.

I suspect this is gearing up for him telling Venkys how much hard work he has put into planning, how it would be foolish to rip that up in the summer and how a new manager would have too much to do in a short space of time so it just isn't worth making a change.

If the owners have any interest or awareness of our collapse in form it will be shrugged off with the 'young team' and how they couldn't cope with the pressure - yet the only one who I see struggling with the pressure is this bottle job of a manager who can't arrest bad runs and who throws wobblers in the dugout when things are going wrong.

I would even dispute the 'young team' mantra that he's desperate to circulate at every opportunity. The team that finished at Reading last week had an average age of 25.2 years. Including a huge number of FL appearances. It's just another one that gets spread by the media without question and without recognition that this manager is the one who has recruited all these players.

I can't listen to any more of it and another one of his summers in charge fills me with dread.

Two myths have been busted this season - the first that Venkys will bankroll a promotion push if they think we have a good chance - the second that Mowbray is on any sort of process or learning curve - he's blown it in spectacular fashion just as he has numerous times before.

Forget 2017-2021. He needs to go for January to April alone. Negligence and terrible management including relegation form for 3 months.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 8

I just couldn’t bare another season of him. The Venkys, well the people they employ to run the club, haven’t managed or even attempted to bring the wage bill under control in 12 years. I reckon you could start by halving Mowbray's salary (whatever it is) and he’d still be desperate to sign.

I doubt any club in the business end of the championship will take a punt on Mowbray. Here he’s got access to enviable training facilities, particularly for the championship, and a academy worthy of any top division European club. He operates with total autonomy. There’s no pressure from fans, swag and his pals, the let, and from his point of view he’s employed by owners who do not hold him to account but are happy to keep writing his cheques.

Its the dream job for a manager. Most other managers would consider themselves truly blessed to have one of those things and Tone has the lot. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 1

You would certainly be forgiven if you didn’t think we currently occupied a play-off spot if you just read his sound bites / LET articles. Today it’s all about his time at Cov and the out of contract players (again). And a bit on the ‘young side’ we have (again).

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Can't blame him for having short break but he sounds anything but revitalized and ready to have a real go.

His Coventry comments were odd as well, didn't have a budget, ended up with the youth team, it was 3.5 hrs from home so he thought he'd step aside and let someone else have a go.

Well that was noble of him after no wins in 10 !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

• Backroom

Genuinely felt he’s been leaving at the end of the season for a while now and wish him all the best for the next chapter for him, was hoping and still hoping it can end on a high but it needs to be a pretty faultless run in now 

• Like 2

Mowbray asked about his future - There's no offer. There's no conversation. There's no discussion. I'm anticipating trying to see this season through and then it's the summer"

With every passing week and month these disgraceful owners continue to drag this once great clubs reputation through the mud. This is a manager that picked this club off the floor after that degenerate Coyle left us in the mire. Either offer him a new deal or tell him he's surplus to requirements, its a disgusting way to treat people. 

Venkys Out

Edited by Gav
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Gav said:

Mowbray asked about his future - There's no offer. There's no conversation. There's no discussion. I'm anticipating trying to see this season through and then it's the summer"

With every passing week and month these disgraceful owners continue to drag this once great clubs reputation through the mud. This is a manager that picked this club off the floor after that degenerate Coyle left us in the mire. Either offer him a new deal or tell him he's surplus to requirements, its a disgusting way to treat people. 

Venkys Out

Why is Coyle a degenerate? Utterly useless as a manager, yes. Completely out of his depth, and then some. But degenerate? Also think Coyle was dealt a worse hand that TM if I am honest, which combined with his ineptitude was a guaranteed disaster. And one thing for Coyle - his comments haven't been as bad as TMs by a long stretch. 

As for the manager not knowing whether his contract is being renewed. Facial from Venkys. Utterly clueless and classless. All that said the manager could perhaps aim to finish with a bit more than seeing the season out, even if just as an up yours to the owners. 

Get rid of the lot of them. TM, Venkys, Waggott they can all do one as far as I am concerned. 

37 minutes ago, Gav said:

Venkys Out

I agree they should have enough respect for him to tell him where he stands but i get a feeling he already knows.

It really sounds like both parties need to sit round a table and air their differences and if there isn't an offer on the table there's a reason for it.  Maybe they have concerns as well, they should have and maybe he wants a bigger better deal than they are prepared to offer.

Possible even hes already made his mind up and is just riding out his time.

Many scenarios and too easy just to fire it all at the ownership as like iv'e said a thousand times it's a collective thing. They are all in the melting pot but predictably it'll probably drag on all summer and the club/team fans will suffer whilst the egos clash upstairs.

Shite state of affairs but giving him a bumper new deal right now might not be for the best either in the long term.

I also think bowyer was dealt the worst hand of the lot of them. Someone who was also totally out of his depth but he did manage higher league positions than Mowbray has ever managed. Although I’ll add the caveat as far as bowyer was concerned to have 40 odd goals in the front 2 and not to lay a glove on the playoffs was disgraceful.

It’s been a truly grim decade + under this mob. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 5