BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

15 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Would anyone be in the slightest bit annoyed if it were true that Mowbray has a deal lined up to join a Championship club in the summer?  That he was advising the out of contract three, not to sign elsewhere (there’s upto 4x what’s on the table at Rovers on offer elsewhere - it’s 100% about the money) because he will be able to offer them deals at his new club?

Stoke?

One part of me would be just relieved that he's gone. A second part would be furious that signing three players who've been seeking a new deal involves a conflict of interest, especially if Waggot went with him, a third part of me looks forward to him ruining someone else's players.

Anyway, if this scenario unfolds it will at last stop people saying what a decent bloke he is.

• Like 1

So he could get another Championship job then? Not what I have repeatedly read.

This board needs to realise that he has massively re-built his reputation here. He’s ‘stabilised’ and ‘re-built’ that ‘mad club with the Chicken people’. Done a ‘great job with little money’.

Folk on here may disagree, but that’s what the view will be ‘in the game’, he will without doubt be in line for other second tier jobs.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

If the players can get more money elsewhere, I wouldn’t blame them tbh. It’s a short career.

The example I always use is- if any of us were offered more money to do the same job somewhere, you’d take it. They won’t even have to move house in some cases….

57 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Would anyone be in the slightest bit annoyed if it were true that Mowbray has a deal lined up to join a Championship club in the summer?  That he was advising the out of contract three, not to sign elsewhere (there’s upto 4x what’s on the table at Rovers on offer elsewhere - it’s 100% about the money) because he will be able to offer them deals at his new club?

I’d be annoyed that the club had found itself in a situation like that rather than being annoyed with any individual (Mowbray included).

If that is the case it’s yet another reason we should’ve parted ways with Mowbray a while ago.

So he's advising players not to sign but asking them to bust a gut here every week in the meantime ?

Wouldn't be surprised to see him off to another championship gig at all but would be surprised to see the likes of Nyambe and Rothwell follow him anywhere. That doesn't stack up as he was doing his level best to flog Rothwell. Alongside the clearly strained relationship him and Nyambe have always appeared to have.

Lenihen well he maybe would but we've already tied down Travis and TK  so what about them ?  

There's as much chance a few are waiting to see him leave before they'll sign. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, rigger said:

I hope Mowbray does get a top Championship rivals job. It will be one less team challenging for promotion next season. 

How do you come to that conclusion, his current team have been challenging for promtoion all season and still are?

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I know it happens all over the game, but at least it would finally put to bed the honest, humble, 1970s working class nice guy manager theory's to bed.

Anyway, as long as he isn't here next season and we get a fresh start I will be happy whoever he takes with him, as the last 3 months have shown the November/December form to be a blip more than anything. August-November and January-now is what you usually get under Mowbray.

• Like 2

Mowbray is due to go to India in the summer to meet the owners. If the speculation is true that he has another job lined up is he stringing us and the owners along? Surely not honest Tony working for, in his words these good people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

So he could get another Championship job then? Not what I have repeatedly read.

This board needs to realise that he has massively re-built his reputation here. He’s ‘stabilised’ and ‘re-built’ that ‘mad club with the Chicken people’. Done a ‘great job with little money’.

Folk on here may disagree, but that’s what the view will be ‘in the game’, he will without doubt be in line for other second tier jobs.

He’s got a top one! With money to spend…wouldn’t surprise me if he’s keeping Dack fresh so he can put a cheeky bud in for him in the summer too!!

Be tempting to any promotion chasing club to think they could get DL and JR on a free and a full fit Bradley Dack through the door for £10m? 

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Mowbray is due to go to India in the summer to meet the owners. If the speculation is true that he has another job lined up is he stringing us and the owners along? Surely not honest Tony working for, in his words these good people.

Come on mate….they don’t want him, he knows that by now. Imo the India meeting is a ‘thanks for everything Tony’ meeting…

Big question is, who if anyone do they have lined up?

• Like 1

Seen and heard all this before.

There is no way on this earth that Venkys agree to and pay for him to traipse to India in May to have a farewell party with him.

We did all this to death during the Kean days. A face to face meeting in India with Desai means the manager comes back emboldened and empowered with a new contract and strengthened position. Managers are weakened the longer they go without India visits. See Gary Bowyer.

If Mowbray is leaving he doesn't go to India, and if he does go to India the only way he doesn't stay is if he walks afterwards, which would be surprising.

As for other Championship clubs we need to realise that Mowbray will suffer from a similar sort of thing as Dyche up the road. These sort of old school traditional British managers just aren't seen as ambitious or exciting appointments these days. At best he would be seen as a safe pair of hands to keep a club on the straight and narrow for a while as he has here. I can't imagine any club with an eye on promotion would see him as a man to get them there.

Perhaps a Stoke or Bristol City at best - someone who can oversee a budget reduction whilst keeping them competitive in the divison and clear of any trouble. I suspect his only route would be to firefight at a club struggling - perhaps a Rotherham or Barnsley if they were trying to survive, or a Hull.

Looking elsewhere there are plenty of clubs who won't be interested either - Mboro, Coventry, WBA, Sheff U, Forest

16 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Come on mate….they don’t want him, he knows that by now. Imo the India meeting is a ‘thanks for everything Tony’ meeting…

Do you honestly believe they will fly him to India to tell him they aren't renewing his contract? And that he will actually go if he knows that is the case? 

What if we get promoted? Are you saying even in that unlikely situation they won't offer him a new deal.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/mowbray-set-summer-contract-talks-050000549.html

23 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I seem to remember you telling us Mowbray was off at the end of last season. 

35 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Do you honestly believe they will fly him to India to tell him they aren't renewing his contract? And that he will actually go if he knows that is the case? 

What if we get promoted? Are you saying even in that unlikely situation they won't offer him a new deal.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/mowbray-set-summer-contract-talks-050000549.html

In honesty, I don’t think he’ll go!