BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

There's a few managers being suggested that'd certainly be an improvement on Mowbray. It's actually quite exciting. Dangerous I know consider the erratic nature of us choosing managers in the past. I'm glad we're rolling the dice. I only hope we don't self destruct. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

There's a few managers being suggested that'd certainly be an improvement on Mowbray. It's actually quite exciting. Dangerous I know consider the erratic nature of us choosing managers in the past. I'm glad we're rolling the dice. I only hope we don't self destruct. 

All just suggestions though. The club heirachy need to be empowered to interview candidates and offer the job. That's the main hurdle.

I can see it being very unclear internally how the process will work.

Does anyone know how Mowbray was selected and signed off? Might make it a bit clearer how it will work this time. Was he final interviewed by Venkys?

• Backroom

Ultimately we need a manager who has the potential to overachieve. Steady eddies will keep us in the division but never get us close to the promised land - and surely we have to keep that ambition for the club, otherwise what's the point? For all of Mowbray's strengths - and he does have a fair few - overachievement over the course of a season is not one of them. He tends to achieve roughly what is expected, or slightly above/below. Great for a club looking to stabilise and build a foundation, not much use for a club looking to take themselves to the next level.

Picking a manager with the potential to overachieve is risky business, as there is also undoubtedly the potential for things to go badly wrong. At some point we have to try, though. The bottom clubs in this division over the past few years tend to be horrendously bad, so unless we hire a complete no-hoper like Coyle again, at worst we'd probably be looking at a lower mid-table finish if it didn't work out. It's entirely possible with our owners that we 'do a Coyle' again, though, and we already know if they did screw us over again with a shit appointment they'd react too late to save us.

Our problem has and always will be Venky's. The managers hired are just symptoms of that problem. Our only hope is that finally, after 12 long, painful years, they actually appoint somebody with a major upside and back him in a way that makes a real statement. Can't say I'm optimistic about the chances of that happening, but as they seem to have zero intention of ever selling us, it's the only hope left.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tugayisgod said:

Sounds great to me. I don't care if our manager wears eye liner, as long as he knows what a round hole, round peg works like 🙂

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

The D of F gets his feet under the table, directs Football, sorts out the recruitment department, hires and fires the head coach and coaching staff, sorts out the communication issues with the owners, assembles a squad with the budget he has.

Why would a Director of Football achieve this when everyone else ‘running’ the club has failed. Venkys don’t listen or respond to anyone at Ewood, regardless of their title, role or background.

• Like 1

I'll be happy with Farke, Carvalhal or Ainsworth. Farke is of the Gegenpressing school, has gotten out of this league twice playing great football. Carvalhal - from what I've seen of Braga in Europa League was scintillating stuff. Hard-working, high press and dangerous on the break - we have looked the best this season taking the same approach. Ainsworth I haven't seen too much of, but seems to get the most out of his players being a great mentor/player coach. I believe he would bring with him a lot of enthusiasm and has the advantage of being a Rovers fan himself. Also difficult to say he prefers a certain system considering he has done wonders under unfavourable financial conditions. 

I agree with Mowbray that the club needs to hire a manager that works well with youth, and we cannot put a man in place that rips that foundation to pieces. The four weeks mentioned by @glen9mullan fits in well with what Nixon said, and Ainsworth has a play-off final to worry about first.

Statistically being a manager in the Championship for a while would make anyone a journeyman, so I wouldn't hold that against Carvalhal to be honest. 

• Like 3

Carvalhal might be an immediate and rapid, quick fix appointment, shit or bust, he only stays 2 seasons. IMO we need a progressive manager who we will keep for 3/4 seasons and will get us up and hopefully stabilise us. Then we can look for someone to take us to the next level.

Dunny, loved him as a player, since then? Not really.

Sorry I got carried away 🤦‍♀️

Dunny should be nowhere near in a coaching capacity.

Good player obviously, but nowhere near as good as he thought he was. Will never forget an ageing Robbie Savage coming to Ewood (with B/ham) and totally having Dunn in his pocket.

On the next manager? Who knows? As someone wisely said, expect this thread to get to 200 pages before we find out. Cracking read though –highly entertaining.

On the sea bass, for those red drinkers, a fruity pinot would do it or a Beaujolais. And a Chablis for the white.

• Like 1

Interesting day of betting… Carvahal, Grayson (and ironically wilder, think last season) are signed to the same agency…

42 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I was out off carvahal by the number of clubs he was at it but I have to say I’m coming round to the idea enough that I would be happy with it. If he comes he must be getting assurances of money to spend and going for it

Would probably be safe to assume that Farke and Carvalhal would mean more intent as they'd be more likely to demand larger war chests than Ainsworth would. Ainsworth the only one with a job though, but probably has a Rovers clause in his contract. 

6 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Would probably be safe to assume that Farke and Carvalhal would mean more intent as they'd be more likely to demand larger war chests than Ainsworth would. Ainsworth the only one with a job though, but probably has a Rovers clause in his contract. 

Carvalhal has a job.

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

Crikey, with that number of bets you wont win much even if you've backed the right one!

I will win plenty Mercer thanks. Did you back anyone?

25 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Interesting day of betting… Carvahal, Grayson (and ironically wilder, think last season) are signed to the same agency…

What agency is that? 

10 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Carvalhal has a job.

His contract is up in a month

I have a friend who is a Sheff Wed season holder and advised me that Carvalho is the real deal.. plays attractive football and had them purring in the two season he was there, felt they potted him way too quickly.. 

He did however say, that although he promised blooding youngsters he never rally did..

He finished off by saying Rovers would be lucky to have him as an excellent manager youll enjoy his style of play.. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

I have a friend who is a Sheff Wed season holder and advised me that Carvalho is the real deal.. plays attractive football and had them purring in the two season he was there, felt they potted him way too quickly.. 

Ironically it looks like Sheff Weds was his longest ever spell as a manager too at 2 and a half years.

I'd definitely take him but find it a bit odd he only ever seems to stay at teams for 1-2 years, especially when he's managed a grand total of 19 different teams....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Ironically it looks like Sheff Weds was his longest ever spell as a manager too at 2 and a half years.

I'd definitely take him but find it a bit odd he only ever seems to stay at teams for 1-2 years, especially when he's managed a grand total of 19 different teams....

Hes a traveling carvalho

11 hours ago, davulsukur said:

"Build a system around the players you have, not the other way around"

The literal opposite of Mowbray

The opposite of Alf Ramsey as well.

Not that I am for one nanosecond comparing Mowbray to Sir Alf.

9 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Interesting. I thought Wilder was coming in towards the end of last season when it was apparently common knowledge amongst the players Mowbray would be leaving at the end of that campaign but for whatever reason it never happened.

Not over the moon about the prospect of Carvahal but could live with it. Would be disappointed with Grayson.

If the owners really want to show intent there's still only two stand out candidates. Farke and Dyche. No need to look any further but I'd also be reasonably happy with Ainsworth.

• Like 5