BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v PNE (a) - 25/4/22

36 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Gallagher would probably notch 10 plus goals over the course of the season if he played centre forward all the time but sorry, he is not a good player. His touch, passing, ability to lead the line, lack of physicality and general all round play is poor even when he’s played in his “best” position. 

The talk about him being played out of position is massively over done in my view - it's a factor to be sure, but his touch and his lack of a proper goal scorer's instinct to be in the right place are much bigger ones for me. They'll prevent him from ever being near a top-flight standard player.

That said, he was very good yesterday, and shows that he can still be a real handful at this level, despite his deficiencies. I even like the attitude that he's shown in recent home games when the rest of the team went into their shells, and whilst Brereton was the more impressive of the two yesterday, his all round play looked a million miles ahead of Archer and Riis (admittedly in a strong team performance). 

If we were to go back a few summers ago I think we all would still spend the £5million very differently, but I'm willing to see him as a useful player in the squad now. He just doesn't have the quality to be the main man, so we can't be relying on him as that next year if Ben goes. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought your pal had a game to forget. He was playing  too deep with no support. Too many opponents to mark. That’s not his game. You want your playmaker further forward. Frustration crept in at the end. 

Surrounded by shit.  Half are leaving so he should have some new mates to play with next season....frustrating night for him

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought your pal had a game to forget. He was playing  too deep with no support. Too many opponents to mark. That’s not his game. You want your playmaker further forward. Frustration crept in at the end. 

I don't watch him enough to really comment, but I had a brief look at their message board after the game and he's been getting absolute pelters. Quite a few of their players are to be fair, so maybe there's not too much you can read into that. 

1 minute ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I don't watch him enough to really comment, but I had a brief look at their message board after the game and he's been getting absolute pelters. Quite a few of their players are to be fair, so maybe there's not too much you can read into that. 

Nobbers love him mate...player of the year etc....did you not hear the sky commentator saying Lowe should build his team around him next season....and he will

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Nobbers love him mate...player of the year etc....did you not hear the sky commentator saying Lowe should build his team around him next season....and he will

That was the impression I had before yesterday to be honest, just made the comments on their forum all the more surprising to me. 

It has to be remembered Preston were awful last night and although I don’t follow their results closely I don’t think their recent form had been good either. They’re a mid table team with nothing to play for and maybe we played them at the right time. Our problem is playing the lower sides like Peterborough who are fighting for every point. Bournemouth will certainly be up for it too. In cricket terms we’re “flat track bullies”…….ie, we can’t handle it when the pressure is on

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lraC said:

I’ve said for a long time, in the correct position Buckley is top notch.

Wouldn't surprise me if some clubs show interest in Buckley, he's looks class when he put's his mind to it.A flashback to before the new year last night, fantastic performance. There passing was fantastic; defending top drawer; attacking excellent.What a pity we didn't play 4-3-3 against stoke probably would have been the same score line.Let's give some credit to Tony Mowbray. He was rightly criticised when results were poor, but it's not all his fault, long term injuries to key players very poor refereeing decisions that cost us points all played a part.If Rovers play like this Saturday I will be first in line for a ticket.

• Like 1

Just now, RoversTilliDie said:

Wouldn't surprise me if some clubs show interest in Buckley, he's looks class when he put's his mind to it.A flashback to before the new year last night, fantastic performance. There passing was fantastic; defending top drawer; attacking excellent.What a pity we didn't play 4-3-3 against stoke probably would have been the same score line.Let's give some credit to Tony Mowbray. He was rightly criticised when results were poor, but it's not all his fault, long term injuries to key players very poor refereeing decisions that cost us points all played a part.If Rovers play like this Saturday I will be first in line for a ticket.

Doesn't help when Mogadon gives them a free pass by saying they all very young and inexperienced....they didn't look it last night with no pressure...

Bottlers the lot of them.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It has to be remembered Preston were awful last night and although I don’t follow their results closely I don’t think their recent form had been good either. 

They've only lost 4 league games at home all season including last night, one of the best records in the division.

But as you say, they were awful last night, reminded me of us over the past few months.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Nobody played well for Preston, they had a bad night all round. We managed to out enthuse a team for once and we played for  more than 45 minutes. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Doesn't help when Mogadon gives them a free pass by saying they all very young and inexperienced....they didn't look it last night with no pressure...

Bottlers the lot of them.

You should never give players a reason not to perform. Do that and most of the time they take it.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Ben Whiteman isn’t our problem and irrespective of the pressure being off or not, in isolation, Buckley gave him a torrid time and it was good to see a Rovers player play so well. Mad what happens when you play players in their favoured positions.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Gallagher would probably notch 10 plus goals over the course of the season if he played centre forward all the time but sorry, he is not a good player. His touch, passing, ability to lead the line, lack of physicality and general all round play is poor even when he’s played in his “best” position. 

I don't think he was a great buy at £5M jim but if he were consistently playing where he ought to be he'd probably get more than 10 a season. He always gives his all, I'll say that for him.

What about that recent goal direct from a Kaminski punt? Gallagher brought it down beautifully before scoring. Great touch there?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

I don't think he was a great buy at £5M jim but if he were consistently playing where he ought to be he'd probably get more than 10 a season. He always gives his all, I'll say that for him.

What about that recent goal direct from a Kaminski punt? Gallagher brought it down beautifully before scoring. Great touch there?

Great first touch.

Second touch a forward pass ..  fortunately to himself.

Then a touch to control, then a good finish.

He played well v Preston. Brave header to score.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, 47er said:

My criticism of him is he’s always on his heels when balls fly into the box but he was first to that header last night to open the scoring.

Brererton had two very good headed chances last night. One hit the post and the other skimmed the bar.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

He gets an awful lot of bookings for a player who isn’t particularly physical. Last night being a case in point.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It has to be remembered Preston were awful last night and although I don’t follow their results closely I don’t think their recent form had been good either. They’re a mid table team with nothing to play for and maybe we played them at the right time. Our problem is playing the lower sides like Peterborough who are fighting for every point. Bournemouth will certainly be up for it too. In cricket terms we’re “flat track bullies”…….ie, we can’t handle it when the pressure is on

Teams that want to play football we have a chance against. Preston tried playing us at football and came seriously unstuck. That’s why I think we’ll give Bournemouth a game. It’s the “ yard dogs “ , the teams down at the bottom, and the likes of Luton we don’t like playing against.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I haven't seen anything from Mowbray or the club. But we didn't him missed it did we?

No we didn't miss him last night.

But he has been a good servant to the club and it will be a sad state of affairs if he doesn't get to say a proper goodbye to the fans on Saturday.

He deserves a place in the squad, if it was anything other than injury as to why he was missing last night then it is a joke imo.

Zeefuik and Poveda shouldn't have been given a place on the bench ahead of him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, superniko said:

All this talk of Gallagher getting 10 a season if he was played in the correct position......he has 9 this season having only started 26 games and has been played out wide for the majority of the season (and 20 minutes at left back). 

For reference: Khadra 4 from 18 starts and Dolan 4 form 20 starts.

He would comfortably get 10+ a season in this team if he was used correctly, and I am regularly critical about him, albeit more his positional sense and not using his height/strength. (27 players in the league have 10 goals this year with 2 games to go).

I thought he had a great game yesterday and was the only player to hold their head high versus Stoke (and Buckley from the bench). Certainly deserves to be starting based on recent performance.

He's a donkey and too many short memories on here.  2nd touch is always a tackle

He has his place but it's not to spearhead a promotion push when BBD goes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gav said:

'Justified' would be my guess.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

'Justified' would be my guess.

He could rightly point to the result to justify that decision and it worked out last night.

But Nyambe has been a good servant to the club and any other reason than injury then imo it's a joke that Zeefuik and Poveda got places on the bench ahead of him.

Hope he is in the match day squad at the weekend (the bench obviously after last night's performance)

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's a shame that Mowbray didn't do it earlier. I do know my formations and tactics but we won yesterday and and its was so good see finally stop being stubborn 

Pickering had a good game at left back. 

Hedges's movement was very good and link up well with Gallagher and Brereton Diaz. He played very well and he should start again

I also worked in Preston and when I walked into work a PNE fan told me to F off before I even said anything tho I was smiling alot tho

I haven't seen anything from Mowbray or the club. But we didn't him missed it did we?

What does that very last sentence actually mean ? I’ve read it and re-read it and I’m none the wiser.  Is it “ But we didn’t miss him, did we ? “

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I agree 100%.

I am the first to accept that he has been inconsistent, but honestly blame Mowbray to a large part for that. Played in the right position, so that he does shine more often will definitely attract attention from others.

Edited by lraC