BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v PNE (a) - 25/4/22

Couldn't get to the game or watch it on the TV, so was gobsmacked by the result. Looking at the highlights on Sky - WTF!!?? Where has this team been all this time since January?

Ratus smellus.

23 minutes ago, islander200 said:

No we didn't miss him last night.

But he has been a good servant to the club and it will be a sad state of affairs if he doesn't get to say a proper goodbye to the fans on Saturday.

He deserves a place in the squad, if it was anything other than injury as to why he was missing last night then it is a joke imo.

Zeefuik and Poveda shouldn't have been given a place on the bench ahead of him.

I think we can worry about saying proper goodbyes to players once we finally have nothing left to play for. Being hard-headed about it, he can have no complaints about being dropped after his performance with the ball vs Stoke, where for me he was the worst culprit of the lot for hiding and taking the easy option. The total opposite of how we played yesterday.

I'd have had him on the bench over Zeefuik to be fair, but Poveda I can definitely understand as an option who can call upon if we needed a goal. I think if a player has made it clear that he's going at the end of the year (even if most of the blame for that can be put at the clubs' door) there's no need to treat Nyambe any differently to a loan player who we also know will be gone in a few games. 

Just watched the highlights again. Travis did really well to shape his body for the side foot finish. We need to get him in there more often. Brererton a bit unlucky hitting the post and skimming the bar with those two headers. He’s definitely improving that side of his game.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Gallagher would probably notch 10 plus goals over the course of the season if he played centre forward all the time but sorry, he is not a good player. His touch, passing, ability to lead the line, lack of physicality and general all round play is poor even when he’s played in his “best” position. 

Wonder if sky will give us good odds on a brereton style goal machine from nowhere next season. I’d be happy to go with 15 if in the hundreds/1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just watched the highlights again. Travis did really well to shape his body for the side foot finish. We need to get him in there more often. Brererton a bit unlucky hitting the post and skimming the bar with those two headers. He’s definitely improving that side of his game.

Never saw him as a natural header of the ball until this season, but he has really stood out as a threat in the air this time around. Brilliant goals against Millwall & PNE, the one for Chile too. Sure there are others I'm forgetting too. 

Agree about Travis too, his goals when they come around tend to be well taken, so that's definitely a sign that we need to get him in those positions more often. 

• Moderation Lead
26 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

You lot are bonkers, talking about going on a 3 game winning streak and sneaking into the Playoffs.

Preston were awful last night and played directly into our strengths.

We've been awful since January - one swallow does not a summer make. #MowbrayOut

Has anyone actually said this? All I’ve seen is posters agreeing with you and being annoyed and frustrated in equal measure?

21 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

You lot are bonkers, talking about going on a 3 game winning streak and sneaking into the Playoffs.

Preston were awful last night and played directly into our strengths.

We've been awful since January - one swallow does not a summer make. #MowbrayOut

Yes, I still haven’t got over Peterborough where I walked out early for the first time in my life. Then there was Stoke. Which Rovers will turn up against Bournemouth? Last night was so frustrating and annoying and bewildering because it showed what should have been possible. Perhaps the simple answer is Preston failed to get in the faces of our nice boys like the others “dogs of war” sides do. Basically we’re a soft team that’s easily bullied

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Yes, I still haven’t got over Peterborough where I walked out early for the first time in my life. Then there was Stoke. Which Rovers will turn up against Bournemouth? Last night was so frustrating and annoying and bewildering because it showed what should have been possible. Perhaps the simple answer is Preston failed to get in the faces of our nice boys like the others “dogs of war” sides do. Basically we’re a soft team that’s easily bullied

I think the nobbers had a typical end of season game and we took advantage.  Let's see what happens  v Bournemouth 

58 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Never saw him as a natural header of the ball until this season, but he has really stood out as a threat in the air this time around. Brilliant goals against Millwall & PNE, the one for Chile too. Sure there are others I'm forgetting too. 

Agree about Travis too, his goals when they come around tend to be well taken, so that's definitely a sign that we need to get him in those positions more often. 

Lenihans goal was the best for me, how to score with the head, give the keeper no chance.

32 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Has anyone actually said this? All I’ve seen is posters agreeing with you and being annoyed and frustrated in equal measure?

We have had some great players coming through the academy into the first team. There have also been some loaned players turning into good players etc elliot. I wonder if this will continue under a new manager.Tony Mowbrays got the trust of some top clubs in the loan department. Dont forget were a club in debt, will it be certain a new manager gets rovers promotion or the dreaded drop into div 1.

Edited by RoversTilliDie
  • Like 1

Last night was any of; a return to form, PNE on the beach, Rovers under no pressure. The players certainly looked happy to be playing. 

I thought that they played well. The spark was the front 3 constantly harassing PNE and not giving them any time at the back.

I feel that it's too little too late though. 

The what if's are numerous. How many last minute goals cost points? 

Would it have been different if Brereton didn't get injured?

Edited by speeeeeeedie
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Last night was any of; a return to form, PNE on the beach, Rovers under no pressure. The players certainly looked happy to be playing. 

I thought that they played well. The spark was the front 3 constantly harassing PNE and not giving them any time at the back.

I feel that it's too little too late though. 

The what if's are numerous. How many last minute goals cost points? 

Would it have been different if Brereton didn't get injured?

We might well have still tailed off, but I think you have to say yes. Those two missed penalties alone look like being decisive. 

6 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

We might well have still tailed off, but I think you have to say yes. Those two missed penalties alone look like being decisive. 

I think so too. He didn't score but played well last night. 

I said a week or two ago that the Sheffield Utd loss was the worst one. It's looking more prescient as the end nears. I still don't understand why Khadra took the penalty.

6 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I said a week or two ago that the Sheffield Utd loss was the worst one. It's looking more prescient as the end nears. I still don't understand why Khadra took the penalty.

Agree, I look at that one and the Coventry result as being the biggest kicks in the teeth. Sheffield United looks like being the worst seeing as it's them who we're competing against and we didn't even get a point in the end, but with Coventry being the first game back from the international break (and the first with Brereton back), I think having the wind taken out of our sails there has proven to be a disaster. 

17 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Agree, I look at that one and the Coventry result as being the biggest kicks in the teeth. Sheffield United looks like being the worst seeing as it's them who we're competing against and we didn't even get a point in the end, but with Coventry being the first game back from the international break (and the first with Brereton back), I think having the wind taken out of our sails there has proven to be a disaster. 

Bristol City was a disaster too. They were basically baying to be beaten and Dack's penalty miss was another kick in the bollocks. Always amazes me that our main set piece taker (Rothwell) never takes pens...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Lenihans goal was the best for me, how to score with the head, give the keeper no chance.

The Travis goal was the best for me. Super diagonal run in possession from Diaz. Always looking to play somebody in. Intelligent play from Travis to get into a good position to receive the pass. The pass was spot on. Travis - cool as you like , knew what he was going to do before the ball arrived. Opened his body up and made the finish look easy. Cherry on the cake. Just when they thought they might have a chance. Extinguished.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Because none of the other ten had the balls to grab it off the lad. There’s no born winners in our team.

• Backroom
3 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

We have had some great players coming through the academy into the first team. There have also been some loaned players turning into good players etc elliot. I wonder if this will continue under a new manager.Tony Mowbrays got the trust of some top clubs in the loan department. Dont forget were a club in debt, will it be certain a new manager gets rovers promotion or the dreaded drop into div 1.

Elliott was a good player before he arrived here - very highly regarded and a bit of a coup from us. With a better manager his presence may have propelled us into genuine playoff contention, rather than mid-table.

As far as 'will a new manager get us relegated?' - by that logic a change would never be made as fear of the worst happening would always stop a decision being made. We know exactly what Mowbray is about by now. Periods of good form, death spirals, terrible second halves of the season and a recovery when the pressure is off. If we're happy to tread water in the Championship forever then Mowbray is the man for the job, but is that the limit of our ambition as a club? This season has shown there is little to be feared in this league. With the right manager we could be in the same position as the likes of Luton this season, or Barnsley last season. It's ridiculous that a club of our stature hasn't even gotten into the Championship playoffs once since relegaton in 2012. 

I completely understand the fear of change with Venky's in charge of the club, but keeping TM on would just prove that we lack any real ambition and have no genuine intention of challenging for promotion. I'll be more than happy to eat my words if we somehow sneak into 6th, but from where we were in January we should not be in a position where that's the best we can hope for now. It's been a collapse of almighty proportions, and you can't blame refs and injuries for 4 months of shocking performances. Injuries, squad rotation and proper squad depth are where top managers in this league really earn their corn. We have a manager who can only ride waves of momentum and is incapable of stopping the team from falling apart when that momentum falters and poor results occur. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

It has to be remembered Preston were awful last night and although I don’t follow their results closely I don’t think their recent form had been good either. They’re a mid table team with nothing to play for and maybe we played them at the right time. Our problem is playing the lower sides like Peterborough who are fighting for every point. Bournemouth will certainly be up for it too. In cricket terms we’re “flat track bullies”…….ie, we can’t handle it when the pressure is on

Look at Ryan Lowe's comments which he said yesterday's performance was unacceptable and not good enough. 

Their home record is one of the best in the league and are unbeaten at home to any of the top 6 clubs

6 hours ago, islander200 said:

No we didn't miss him last night.

But he has been a good servant to the club and it will be a sad state of affairs if he doesn't get to say a proper goodbye to the fans on Saturday.

He deserves a place in the squad, if it was anything other than injury as to why he was missing last night then it is a joke imo.

Zeefuik and Poveda shouldn't have been given a place on the bench ahead of him.

Firstly Poveda is attacking player whilst Nyambe is a full back so they are very different players and positions. 

We are going for a playoff place and Saturday game is a must win, so I wouldn't change any of the 18 match day squad players. 

Yes he has been a good servant. What a proper goodbye to the fans on Saturday and are you really that bothered by that?

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What does that very last sentence actually mean ? I’ve read it and re-read it and I’m none the wiser.  Is it “ But we didn’t miss him, did we ? “

We didn't miss Nyambe last night

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Brilliant night last night, battered Preston and a fully deserved win to be enjoyed, Excellent from just about everyone and the manager got his tactics bang on.

Just imagine if Mowbray had switch formation and tactics earlier we might have seen a better improve performance. Sadly Mowbray has done probably too late to secure us a playoff place. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly Poveda is attacking player whilst Nyambe is a full back so they are very different players and positions. 

We are going for a playoff place and Saturday game is a must win, so I wouldn't change any of the 18 match day squad players. 

Yes he has been a good servant. What a proper goodbye to the fans on Saturday and are you really that bothered by that?

I know what position Poveda plays, but he has been injured for 6 months and spent the majority of his time injured at Leeds not with us.

Why does Zeefuik deserve to be on the bench ahead of Nyambe?

Surely we won't be paying the £3 million fee to make Zeefuik a permanent deal.

What does everyone think of lenihan at RB in a back 4? 

I'm shocked at how comfortable he seems in the position, I know he doesn't give us the attacking threat that nyambe or another attacking rb does but he looks and reminds me of an old fashioned rb of yesteryear

• Like 3