BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v PNE (a) - 25/4/22

Of course it doesn't paper over any cracks, but that result and performance will - or should - have put a smile on every Rovers fan's face.

As GlenM says above, it means Saturday remains a meaningful game, and wouldn't it be nice to put another one over on Scott Parker'?

• Like 6

8 hours ago, WacoRover said:

I’m not advocating keeping tony- quite the opposite. But Tony has won 41.3% of his games, Grayson 40.8% (if wiki is current).

It seems to me you should always hire better than you sack. And, Grayson hasn’t managed teams at the level Tony has.  

That's the key to it all, improve when you can and do it from a position of relative strength.

Mowbray is a solid manager, average on the pitch but there's more to it than that and around the place he has built a structure. Whether we like it or not it needed doing so now is the time to build on it and freshen it up.

These lot won't do that though the first remit has to be are they a nice man, will they toe our line and of course will they come through our agent friends.

All wrong on every level that.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

I noticed last night when rovers were winning he had an air of smugness about him was more animated like hey look at me. When rovers are losing he folds himself up so no one can see him

Because it's another step to a new contract and he knows it, just wait till he gets one. The arms will be folded, feet up on the desk and the tombola will be in over drive, whilst he develops individuals and isn't that bothered about league tables.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes, at least this win turns a potential dead rubber into what could be a quite tasty affair as long as Sheff Utd don't beat QPR Friday night.

If nothing else it would be pretty satisfying to help deny Bournemouth automatic promotion after their attempts to unsettle the much maligned Joe Rothwell who incidentally I thought was excellent last night.

Let's show the Bournemouth players what a real crowd looks like!

Blimey, if that's one of his good games we're in trouble. Thought he was woeful.

Must have been trained by Keith Andrews. Does a lot of pointing, including bizarrely when he has the ball.

I agree, I thought Hedges was our worst player. I can’t see what he brings to the party.

• Like 1

Brilliant, did not see that coming last night and got that buzz back today.

It just shows the team from pre Xmas was still in there but for whatever reason didnt turn up prior last night. The main thing for me was the pressing intensity had returned which just forced them out of shape and into a lot of errors. The whole setup pre-xmas was based around this so why they stopped doing it is beyond me!

A little bit of hope for the playoffs has returned but realistically we have left it 1-2 games too late to turn up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

Fantastic performance, and if we can play like that Saturday and get a result regardless of the QPR game Friday we take this to the last game of the season.

If I block out the previous 44 games, i'd have taken that in August.

We can talk about the if's, buts, Could of, Should of but that result last night especially clawing back on the goal difference has certainly given the the last two games a pulse.

I've posted a lot of frustration, annoyance, and if anything a lot of somewhat negative thoughts the last few weeks.

However, i'm going to park all that for now, its all very valid, but now is not the time for the inquest.

Waking up with a bounce in my step, excited for the weekend and dreaming the near impossible is a feeling I want to savour, even if its just for a few days or couple of weeks.

Sam Gallagher was a warrior last night, he has taken his fair share of grief from me, but will he ever score a more important goal for us?

Three academy lads on the scoresheet, 

Local rivals absolutely tonked in their own back yard.

Rothwell, sublime, he maybe off, he may have gone off the boil, but last night he was majestic.

Proud of them all after that

I'm glad you mentioned Gallagher. He showed when Brereton was out that he can't be relied upon to be the main man up front if/when Ben goes, but his work on and off the ball yesterday was top class and deserved his goal.

Agree too about parking the inquest until the end of the season, although it's really hard to watch the performance yesterday and think what if.

Putting aside the poor performances, the number of games when we were either unlucky or shot ourselves in the foot from either a winning position or when we had gilt edged chances to win is extraordinary. Coventry x2, Luton (h), Sheff U (a), Swansea (a), Bristol City (h), Peterborough (a). Three points taken from twenty-one, when even just a handful more would've comfortably seen us still in the top 6. 

Still, after yesterday I'm happy at least that the fat lady isn't singing just yet. If QPR get anything this Friday then I might start believing again. 

• Like 1

Mowbray talking about them performing now that the pressure has been removed. I'm pretty certain the correlation was the fact he started with the formation he's been switching too at half time every game after giving the opposition a 45 minute headstart. 

It's always the way with him. He's stubborn and takes a huge amount of time to switch things up bar rotating Square pegs in a certain formation. It looks as though we've left it too late. If only he'd done this a few games back. However history does say that when we finally stumble on that winning formula it is followed by a real purple patch. If and it's a massive if we can sneak into the playoffs, there is suddenly reason to have some real hope.

• Like 1

It’s galling that it’s taken whilst now before we get the show on the road but I really enjoyed that game. Play like that on Saturday and we’ll give Bournemouth a game without a doubt.

Negatives for me ( the positives take care of themselves ) I’ve already mentioned Hedges, I wasn’t impressed with Pickering. Poor control in the first place then a lack of pace to recover led to the quickest booking I can remember for a long while. Most of the first half Preston threat came down his side. Incidentally the referee made a rod for his own back with that booking. After that every heavy tackle in theory should have seen a card. Obviously that didn’t happen and Rovers weren’t happy with him from then on. I’d be interested to hear Arbitro’s views on the cards. Whiteman could have had 3 in my opinion.

Lenihan at right back. He played pretty well overall but in the heat of the moment a couple of times he found himself back playing centre half and leaving the right back area wide open. The incident in the first half were Cunningham got right in un marked on the back post and made a hash of a very dangerous position is one that comes to mind. He made a typical centre halves balls up of a good shooting chance in the second half.

Discipline. As a team we do like a soft yellow card, Buckley especially. That has to improve next season. We can’t come bottom of the discipline league again.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Far too much optimism for the weekend - haven’t people learnt their lessons over the years that Rovers build up hopes only to crush them?? Which part of this Jekyll and Hyde team will turn up? I think we all know the answer to that one

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Far too much optimism for the weekend - haven’t people learnt their lessons over the years that Rovers build up hopes only to crush them?? Which part of this Jekyll and Hyde team will turn up? I think we all know the answer to that one

Nah Jim, it’s Rovers style to crush Bournemouth on Saturday and then lose away at Big Club.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Sam Gallagher was a warrior last night, he has taken his fair share of grief from me, but will he ever score a more important goal for us?

I think Gallagher is a better player than many give him credit for. Anyone who's been messed around by being played out of position where he is utterly unsuited would have gone downhill too.

I was really impressed by Brereton last night. He makes such intelligent runs and when he's in full flight he seems impossible to dispossess. Could have had 2 goals and that would have been the headline this morning.

Any club who gets him for £20M has got a bargain imo. Never expected to be saying that!

Apparently Forest did insist on a sell-on clause so if that were 40%, they would make a total oy £12M from his sale and Rovers (or Balaji) would make $5M! If that's how it works it doesn't seem a great deal to me.

On the matter of the defence,the loss of Lenihan and Van Hecke  at the end of the season will really hurt us. Both were immense.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

I think Gallagher is a better player than many give him credit for. Anyone who's been messed around by being played out of position where he is utterly unsuited would have gone downhill too.

Gallagher would probably notch 10 plus goals over the course of the season if he played centre forward all the time but sorry, he is not a good player. His touch, passing, ability to lead the line, lack of physicality and general all round play is poor even when he’s played in his “best” position. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

I was really impressed by Brereton last night. He makes such intelligent runs and when he's in full flight he seems impossible to dispossess. Could have had 2 goals and that would have been the headline this morning.

Any club who gets him for £20M has got a bargain imo. Never expected to be saying that!

Apparently Forest did insist on a sell-on clause so if that were 40%, they would make a total oy £12M from his sale and Rovers (or Bali) would make $5M! If that's how it works it doesn't seem a great deal to me.

On the matter of the defence,the loss of Lenihan and Van Hecke  at the end of the season will really hurt us. Both were immense.

Sell on clauses are 'usually' a percentage of profit. But think from previous dealings there's pretty much guaranteed to be one 🤣

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

Apparently Forest did insist on a sell-on clause so if that were 40%, they would make a total oy £12M from his sale and Rovers (or Bali) would make $5M! If that's how it works it doesn't seem a great deal to me.

I don’t think it matters much what sell on clause Forest have. The transfer fee money will go where the Armstrong money went I suspect.

You either play Gallagher down the middle or you don’t play him at all. He’ll never be a winger. He’s better running after the ball than running with it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OsloRover said:

Not sure why people are getting on Hedges' back. He looked good to me last night, especially considering his lack of game time for us.

I thought he looked okay to me, a big advantage over Dolan (who I like, and need to remind myself how young he still is) is that he has the physicality to keep the ball more easily. 

• Like 1

Well it’s looks like we’ve given ourselves a chance! There’s a very realistic chance that if we win our last 2 games then we’ll end the season in the playoffs. Boro would have to win all 3 of there games and like us there form has been dwindling for a while. Sheffield United on the other hand haven’t been firing like they were and have two very tough fixtures with QPR and Fulham. 

The big question is can we beat Bournemouth - what a game that will be on Saturday. 

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Other way round mate...we will batter big club 4 or 5 but pressure will be off....

Flat track bullies the lot of them.

Mogadon Out.

I thought your pal had a game to forget. He was playing  too deep with no support. Too many opponents to mark. That’s not his game. You want your playmaker further forward. Frustration crept in at the end. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

11 hours ago, J*B said:

I mean this with all due respect, but when Chaddy has been posting for 3 weeks what Mowbray needs to do to turn the form around and Tony still can’t bring himself to either do it or can’t see that’s what needs to be done, we’ve really hit a new point in the twilight zone. 

It's a shame that Mowbray didn't do it earlier. I do know my formations and tactics but we won yesterday and and its was so good see finally stop being stubborn 

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We played well tonight for a change. Preston looked very ordinary, I wouldn’t be preferring any of their players to ours on tonight’s showing.

I’d give everybody a 7/10 bar Pickering and Hedges. I wasn’t impressed with either of those two. Pickering’s not quick enough for fullback and what did Hedges actually do ?

Pickering had a good game at left back. 

Hedges's movement was very good and link up well with Gallagher and Brereton Diaz. He played very well and he should start again

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Well I work in Preston and the first conversation I had with anyone this morning went:

Me: Good Morning! 😄

Them: F&%$ Off!

Lovely stuff 🤣

I also worked in Preston and when I walked into work a PNE fan told me to F off before I even said anything tho I was smiling alot tho

21 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Any word on Nyambe's absence from TM?

I haven't seen anything from Mowbray or the club. But we didn't him missed it did we?