BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bournemouth (h) - 30/4/22

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I was very disappointed last night after not being able to beat Bournemouth and take our promotion chances to the last game of the season. 

It hurts to say it but “ failure “ is written through the club like a stick of Blackpool rock. It needs a change of mentality from losers to winners. Until the Chokers leave nothing will change. What would happen at your place of work tomorrow if the senior management didn’t turn up ? No doubt there’d be guys like you who would still put a shift in but how many would be picking their horses in the toilets ?

• Like 6

Really disappointing performance after the optimism from Monday night. You can see Bournemouth had quality all over the park but we didn't really ask any questions or manage the game tactically.

The big difference for me was how Bournemouth attacked in numbers, when they broke they had 5-6 lads pouring into the box or out wide. In total contrast when Rovers break we have 2-3 breaking and the rest stood on the halfway line hands on hips.

Roll on a new manager with some fresh ideas and tactics as I am royally bored with what is served up at Ewood these days.

• Like 8

To reflect a bit on the actual game:

We defended abysmally throughout, as is usually the case when Nyambe doesn’t play. I’m not sure how many of our centre backs are suited to/currently good enough to play in a back 4 and look far more suited to a 5.

Brereton really frustrated. Lost track of how many times he was caught offside, and made some poor and greedy decisions. His raw attributes have served him and us really well this season, but needs to smarten up if he is to get the big move everyone expects.

Travis had a melt down during the game and went even further off the boil after. Has some growing up to do.

As usual the substitutions turned us into a confused mess. Didn’t really matter, we never got going and were lethargic from the off. Bournemouth were superb off the ball… reminded me a bit of how we were during our good spell this season.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I wasn't really offering an opinion on how bad he is or isn't, as that's a different discussion. I can if you like.

I say as bad as you say, because you said (or more accurately, strongly implied) that no other Championship manager would be interested in buying him, and on that basis I was asking how you expect to get rid of him, which you were suggesting.

You've answered now, and I'm not sure I agree. For one thing, someone needs to pay him about 15-20k for at least 2 years for him to agree to move for free. That isn't happening in League One whatsoever, and you don't think anyone at this level wants him, which means nobody who would want him can afford it, whether free or fee. The alternative therefore would be to pay up his deal, at a cost of about 1.5 to 2 million most likely, weakening our feeble budget and losing yet another attacker when we are already losing Khadra, Poveda and probably BBD, just to not have him around- and I certainly don't think he is as bad as that.

It would also mean giving up on a 5 million quid 'investment' (for want of a better word) after Brereton has shown what a good half season can do for your transfer value. To be clear, no I don't expect Gally to go full Brereton (not that any of us expected Brereton to), but even a 15 goal season might get someone interested in paying a fee and fielding the wages. About a 50% goals improvement, which isn't beyond the realms if managed competently and if we don't end up with any other focal point in our attack.

And of course how bad he is is a subjective thing. You seem to think he's worse than I do. Some people will think he's worse than you do. Some people think he's much better than I do. A certain muppet of a professional manager paid 5 million for him when everything screamed 2 at the absolute most. What's objective is that he has 9 goals this season, 3 assists, in 36 games (1 goal contribution every 3) and has mostly been played in an unsuitable position, sometimes off the bench. On paper that's not the worst record, and suggests that played properly he might end up with or close to the 15 I suggest.

I don't think he's very good, but he does have some attributes, can have good games which means a purple patch is possible, and isn't one we should be utterly desperate to offload going into a season with half a squad and little chance of getting much money out of him (unless he's not as bad as you say, in which case a Championship club might want to pay his wages).

Even if we had a pretty nice budget I don't think he'd be the worst option to bring off the bench in certain games. Of course I hope we sign someone better if BBD leaves though.

Well that’s what you get for giving managers on the scrapheap a contract, and giving them £5m to spend on an underwhelming player, who continues to underwhelm. 

By the way I didn’t say no championship manager would have him - Mowbray did and gave away almost all of our transfer kitty in the process. I’m sure someone out there would have him. Not for £7m+ though.

But if by some act of God we did get a decent manager I don’t think they would want Gallagher ball watching for most of the season whilst flicking the hair from his eyes. I honestly believe he only gets in the side to justify the purchase to Suhail and co - and maybe because TM is quite a stubborn guy as we know.

As you say a bench player at best but any manager with any nouse would sideline him immediately with a view to moving him on imo.

Edited by booth
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It hurts to say it but “ failure “ is written through the club like a stick of Blackpool rock. It needs a change of mentality from losers to winners. Until the Chokers leave nothing will change. What would happen at your place of work tomorrow if the senior management didn’t turn up ? No doubt there’d be guys like you who would still put a shift in but how many would be picking their horses in the toilets ?

Have to agree with this. If the direction (or even interest) is not being shown from the top even a good manager will struggle. 

The Championship is hard enough without the added difficulty of navigating our bizarre owner engagement.

I'd rather have half the budget but an owner who is fully engaged and has a clear plan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

We defended abysmally throughout, as is usually the case when Nyambe doesn’t play. I’m not sure how many of our centre backs are suited to/currently good enough to play in a back 4 and look far more suited to a 5.

Brereton really frustrated. Lost track of how many times he was caught offside, and made some poor and greedy decisions. His raw attributes have served him and us really well this season, but needs to smarten up if he is to get the big move everyone expects.

Travis had a melt down during the game and went even further off the boil after. Has some growing up to do.

As usual the substitutions turned us into a confused mess. Didn’t really matter, we never got going and were lethargic from the off. Bournemouth were superb off the ball… reminded me a bit of how we were during our good spell this season.

Brererton will get a move but his indifferent form since Xmas id likely to deter suitors and reduce the prospective transfer fee. It could run until the transfer deadline and scupper any plans for incoming transfers. We've seen it all before with Duffy and Armstrong. 

• Like 2

I agree with all of that, especially about the back 4 versus a back 5. We changed to a back 5 because the back 4 were getting dicked.

• Like 1

The lack of real pace in our back line was a standout feature which makes the petty exclusion of Nyambe even more inexcusable.

Mowbray went some way in covering his intent/tracks post match by mentioning Nyambe by name. Didn't work.

The development of young players has hit a brick wall in the form of Buckley's consistent petulant attitude.

In the game we were well beaten by a much better team who also fought harder and we were second best all over the field.

• Like 3

Bet you weren't saying that after the PNE game. 

We looked miles better as attacking force in 4-2-3-1 formation. Van Hecke look awful yesterday and lucky for the second home game he wasn't sent off. 

Given that we have a new potential manager hopefully he will sort out the defence so they are better organised than under Mowbray's time here. 

The way forward for us is playing 4-2-3-1 formation, pressing high and hit teams on the break 

I said it as soon as we moved to a back 5 - it made all 3 of the centre backs look a lot better.

Why are you banging on about the Preston game? It was a complete false dawn and an anomaly, and for as good as we were, Preston were equally crap.

Making statements about future formations and playing styles with your usual certainty is ridiculous at the present moment. We are set to lose half our squad, manager and coaching staff,

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I said it as soon as we moved to a back 5 - it made all 3 of the centre backs look a lot better.

Why are you banging on about the Preston game? It was a complete false dawn and an anomaly, and for as good as we were, Preston were equally crap.

Making statements about future formations and playing styles with your usual certainty is ridiculous at the present moment. We are set to lose half our squad, manager and coaching staff,

no its wasn't a false dawn at all but we came up against better quality squad and team in Bournemouth. 

The back 5 work for so long before it was clear to see that our attacking play wasn't good enough. 

On next season, That's the way I want to see us play Miller, you might not want to but I want to see us play that way. 

On the manager and coaching staff point, Mowbray and some of his staff will go but a new manager will be appoint and he will bring in his own staff like most managers do. Would you not be happy with Farke or Ainsworth being appoint as Mowbray's replacement? 

Yes we will lose some players but they is good players out there we can replace with depending who the manager is and the budget they will be given. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

22 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Your incredibly optimistic chaddy given the previous form of our Owners and Management.Next season is VERY uncertain.

I am positive and optimistic type of person the vast majority of the time. 

I have had look into potential free agents, low cost signings and what the budget might be next season. We can build a competitive squad that should be challenging for the playoffs/top 6. Alot of this depends on who we appoint as Mowbray's replacement IMO. Make the right appointment with decent budget and we could be promotion next season 

Beaten by a better side with quality finishers so that's fair enough.

However Rovers were poor after starting quite brightly and all the hallmarks were there of why we fell away so badly. Yet again the manager has to come under question with tactics and subs. There's been times this season when we've sat there and thought Rovers need to go a bit more direct they need a plan B.  Yesterday wasn't one of those days though against that opposition.

The whole idea just seemed to consist of long balls into the channels for BB and Gallagher to gallop after. The odd time Rovers played a bit they looked like they could play through them but that clearly wasn't the tactic. Yet again the subs far from improving things made us look worse and for the umpteenth time this last few months we ended up a mish mash of players not knowing what they were supposed to be doing.  

Players just thrown on for the sake of it again by the surrender monkey and what an easy afternoon they made it for Bournemouth. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

no its wasn't a false dawn at all but we came up against better quality squad and team in Bournemouth. 

The back 5 work for so long before it was clear to see that our attacking play wasn't good enough. 

On next season, That's the way I want to see us play Miller, you might not want to but I want to see us play that way. 

On the manager and coaching staff point, Mowbray and some of his staff will go but a new manager will be appoint and he will bring in his own staff like most managers do. Would you not be happy with Farke or Ainsworth being appoint as Mowbray's replacement? 

Yes we will lose some players but they is good players out there we can replace with depending who the manager is and the budget they will be given. 

I like playing with a back four but for that to work you need two pacey fullbacks who are excellent defensive players but can also get forward to a certain extent and who are good passers of the ball . You need two centre halves, one who is absolutely dominant in the air and the other is really quick across the ground and who is a good tackler. One of those two needs to be a decent passer of the ball. Both centre halves need to be good readers of the game and they must combine well together. Right footer and Left footer is ideal.

When we have those players in place we’ll be set up to play 4 at the back.

Branaghan, Keeley, Fazackerley, Rathbone wasn’t a bad example at this level Bournemouth would have had a harder time against those four yesterday.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Beaten by a better side with quality finishers so that's fair enough.

However Rovers were poor after starting quite brightly and all the hallmarks were there of why we fell away so badly. Yet again the manager has to come under question with tactics and subs. There's been times this season when we've sat there and thought Rovers need to go a bit more direct they need a plan B.  Yesterday wasn't one of those days though against that opposition.

The whole idea just seemed to consist of long balls into the channels for BB and Gallagher to gallop after. The odd time Rovers played a bit they looked like they could play through them but that clearly wasn't the tactic. Yet again the subs far from improving things made us look worse and for the umpteenth time this last few months we ended up a mish mash of players not knowing what they were supposed to be doing.  

Players just thrown on for the sake of it again by the surrender monkey and what an easy afternoon they made it for Bournemouth. 

I’ve had a long think about this and I came to the conclusion that we were scared of Bournemouth and we didn’t fancy our chances at any point.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I like playing with a back four but for that to work you need two pacey fullbacks who are excellent defensive players but can also get forward to a certain extent and who are good passers of the ball . You need two centre halves, one who is absolutely dominant in the air and the other is really quick across the ground and who is a good tackler. One of those two needs to be a decent passer of the ball. Both centre halves need to be good readers of the game and they must combine well together. Right footer and Left footer is ideal.

Pickering is more than good enough at left back and one of best performance until his injury. Looks like better at full back then wing back. 

We need a right back signing who is better going forward. Nyambe wasn't good enough and Lenihan played well going forward yesterday. Someone like Barnsley's Callum Brittain or Luton James Bree would be my choices.  

I would like a new signing at centre back to partner Scott Wharton, someone like Charlie Goode from Brentford would be choice. I agree about 1 right foot player and 1 left foot player at centre back. 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pickering is more than good enough at left back and one of best performance until his injury. Looks like better at full back then wing back. 

Agreed but he has been absolutely horrific since he came back. Treats the ball like a hot potato, first thought is always can I find Kaminski from here. Slowest full back on record. Major question marks on him for me. Wharton and Carter look like the starters at Cb next year, or maybe Ayala might manage the first couple then disappear. 

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We need a right back signing who is better going forward. Nyambe wasn't good enough and Lenihan played well going forward yesterday. Someone like Barnsley's Callum Brittain or Luton James Bree would be my choices.  

I would like a new signing at centre back to partner Scott Wharton, someone like Charlie Goode from Brentford would be choice. I agree about 1 right foot player and 1 left foot player at centre back. 

Pickering just isn’t good enough. He’s an easy touch on that left hand side. He doesn’t know when to stick or twist. Maybe the injury has affected him. Compare his ability in one on one’s with Nyambe.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You’re on form today.

Yes, I’d be more than happy with Farke or Ainsworth being Mowbray’s replacement. I’ve advocated both for a while and was certainly doing so while your Chadometer was still pointing firmly towards Mowbray in.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I was very disappointed last night after not being able to beat Bournemouth and take our promotion chances to the last game of the season. 

I felt sorry for the big crowd that turned up at Ewood, very disappointing result it was a walk in the park for bournemouth.Some of the players looked like they weren't interested in playing,they were probably frightened of getting injured because there off after the next game.I was angry at the pathetic display being one of the many supporters that pay there wages.Some good news new manager new blood in the Summer and we will probably see Markanday in action when the Summer friendlies are arranged.I have been hearing good things about him on the training ground. Lets hope the good times return to Ewood the supporters deserve it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Pickering just isn’t good enough. He’s an easy touch on that left hand side. He doesn’t know when to stick or twist. Maybe the injury has affected him. Compare his ability in one on one’s with Nyambe.

It was apparent from the off that they had done their homework and targeted Pickering because of his lack of pace and strength. Manager and coaching staff just let it be. 

Even when I was running my lads Sunday League team, I spent the first 10 minutes watching to find out the oppositions weak link in defence. There was always one lad who had been dragged out of bed, half pissed who was wearing of pair of borrowed boots 2 sizes too big. Then I would put our super star prolific scorer on him and you are half way to winning the game.

• Like 2