BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bournemouth (h) - 30/4/22

2 minutes ago, booth said:

From absolutely terrible to bang average? Aye, I'm sure he'd be on every Championship managers team sheet.

He has been mismanaged but can you honestly say if you were the boss you'd pin your hopes on him consistently scoring over a season, as a number 9?

If he is as bad as you say though, and nobody in the Championship wants him, who is buying him and paying his 15-20k p/w wages? Still has 2 years on his deal.

I agree we will need a better striker on the books, but like it or not we are going to be relying on Sam Gallagher to some degree next season, he's going nowhere just yet.

Personally I think he can still be a decent to fairly good player at this level if he is managed right and hits form. Two big asks of course.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, booth said:

From absolutely terrible to bang average? Aye, I'm sure he'd be on every Championship managers team sheet.

He has been mismanaged but can you honestly say if you were the boss you'd pin your hopes on him consistently scoring over a season, as a number 9?

No chance but he won’t be moved on. He’s got 9 goals this season despite spending most of it on the wing or the bench. 

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If he is as bad as you say though, and nobody in the Championship wants him, who is buying him and paying his 15-20k p/w wages? Still has 2 years on his deal.

I agree we will need a better striker on the books, but like it or not we are going to be relying on Sam Gallagher to some degree next season, he's going nowhere just yet.

Personally I think he can still be a decent to fairly good player at this level if he is managed right and hits form. Two big asks of course.

He certainly wouldn't be able to play as our main striker but if he was played in position more often then I think he would get more goals. 

Once again Mowbray refusing to see what is blindingly obvious to everyone else.

1 minute ago, DuffsLeftPeg said:

No chance but he won’t be moved on. He’s got 9 goals this season despite spending most of it on the wing or the bench. 

Maybe not immediately but he'll be sidelined and eventually moved on if the new manager has any ambition. Unless the new manager is capable of working miracles with poor to average players.

He's been a passenger in most games, even the games he hasn't played wide. A few games at the end of the season doesn't cut it. If you're happy to play with 10 for most of the season then he's your man.

Pickering is another that needs to be replaced if we want the club to do anything other than mid table plodding.

13 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

As I say? I'd hope that people would be able to see with their own eyes that he's simply not a good footballer. He's applied himself recently in a few games like he did last season. And like last season a few seem to have had a system refresh and forgotten how poor he was overall.

He's been here for 3 years now and at 26 year old I can't see him developing into a good player. It's not just his ability but his attitude seems off, like he doesn't have any desire for it. He's looked up for it these last few games but that's in complete contrast to the rest of the season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, booth said:

As I say? I'd hope that people would be able to see with their own eyes that he's simply not a good footballer. He's applied himself recently in a few games like he did last season. And like last season a few seem to have had a system refresh and forgotten how poor he was overall.

He's been here for 3 years now and at 26 year old I can't see him developing into a good player. It's not just his ability but his attitude seems off, like he doesn't have any desire for it. He's looked up for it these last few games but that's in complete contrast to the rest of the season.

Yes, as you say. You said you would move him on, but feel he isn't Championship level, so again, who is buying him?

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yes, as you say. You said you would move him on, but feel he isn't Championship level, so again, who is buying him?

You said if he's as bad as I say. I don't see him being bad as a subjective thing to anyone with a pair of eyes.

I didn't say anything about anyone buying him, I said moving him on.

Personally, I'd give him away.

Or are you saying that he's that bad that no one would have him if he was a free agent?

Edited by booth

Was there any point in this game where we actually looked like we wanted it.  I watched QPR and Sheff U and the Blades came iut clearly hungry to win, where was that from us.  Strokin it around midfield and our half when it could have been slung in the area.  Doin the hard work then instead of a cross or domething to even lookin like it might bother them oass it backwards up the wing.  Needed a hero or two today.  I hope I so friggin hope he us done here.  If he is not I may just rekindle my affections for Stanley and give us a break toll he is gone.  I won't watch this jack ass mess up our team any more.  Get him go e, get a good un and give him what he needs. Full stop.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DE. said:

Overall though we're talking a pretty big rebuild of the starting eleven with a new manager having to come in and assess everything very quickly. It's something we should all be very concerned about imo.

So much for the journey we've been on over the last 5 years!

Taken us for mugs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, booth said:

You said if he's as bad as I say. I don't see him being bad as a subjective thing to anyone with a pair of eyes.

I didn't say anything about anyone buying him, I said moving him on.

Personally, I'd give him away.

Or are you saying that he's that bad that no one would have him if he was a free agent?

I wasn't really offering an opinion on how bad he is or isn't, as that's a different discussion. I can if you like.

I say as bad as you say, because you said (or more accurately, strongly implied) that no other Championship manager would be interested in buying him, and on that basis I was asking how you expect to get rid of him, which you were suggesting.

You've answered now, and I'm not sure I agree. For one thing, someone needs to pay him about 15-20k for at least 2 years for him to agree to move for free. That isn't happening in League One whatsoever, and you don't think anyone at this level wants him, which means nobody who would want him can afford it, whether free or fee. The alternative therefore would be to pay up his deal, at a cost of about 1.5 to 2 million most likely, weakening our feeble budget and losing yet another attacker when we are already losing Khadra, Poveda and probably BBD, just to not have him around- and I certainly don't think he is as bad as that.

It would also mean giving up on a 5 million quid 'investment' (for want of a better word) after Brereton has shown what a good half season can do for your transfer value. To be clear, no I don't expect Gally to go full Brereton (not that any of us expected Brereton to), but even a 15 goal season might get someone interested in paying a fee and fielding the wages. About a 50% goals improvement, which isn't beyond the realms if managed competently and if we don't end up with any other focal point in our attack.

And of course how bad he is is a subjective thing. You seem to think he's worse than I do. Some people will think he's worse than you do. Some people think he's much better than I do. A certain muppet of a professional manager paid 5 million for him when everything screamed 2 at the absolute most. What's objective is that he has 9 goals this season, 3 assists, in 36 games (1 goal contribution every 3) and has mostly been played in an unsuitable position, sometimes off the bench. On paper that's not the worst record, and suggests that played properly he might end up with or close to the 15 I suggest.

I don't think he's very good, but he does have some attributes, can have good games which means a purple patch is possible, and isn't one we should be utterly desperate to offload going into a season with half a squad and little chance of getting much money out of him (unless he's not as bad as you say, in which case a Championship club might want to pay his wages).

Even if we had a pretty nice budget I don't think he'd be the worst option to bring off the bench in certain games. Of course I hope we sign someone better if BBD leaves though.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, alcd said:

Wharton's lack of pace had been utterly exposed in the past couple of months. He looks like he's dragging a ball and chain. Coupled with the sluggish Pickering it's a recipe for disaster on the left side of the defence. 

When Solanke beat him in the air, flicked it on and it then ran round him with a five yard head start. It was embarrassing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dallydally said:

Gallagher is a donkey.....end of

I watched with Solent Radio commentary:

''good pass out to Gallagher ........ who miscontrols ...... ball goes out of play''

Made me laugh.

They were using gear borrowed from Radio Lancs as they had a car break in and everything nicked. I didn't catch where it happened but it sounded like they stayed overnight somewhere on the way up.

• Like 1

Poor yesterday but it didn't wind me up as in previous weeks as we're at the end of the Mowbray era and have an opportunity. That's all it is though and it could obviously get even worse. Glad I didn't bother getting a brum ticket which I was seriously considering on Tuesday! I doubt yesterday will have done much to convince the floating fans in attendance to go for a season ticket either 🤔 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom said:

I’m still convinced Van Hecke got two bookings today, quite bizarre 

He should have Tom! The referee didn't handle that particular situation too well. It appeared to me that VH was going to get a last warning message when a Bournemouth player ran in waving an imaginary card. The referee booked him but didn't isolate him to do so - he just waved it in the general direction where a few players were. In the confusion I'm not sure if VH actually got his warning.

• Like 1

It is a measure of how far we have fallen as a club, when there is hardly a mutter when we get tonked 0-3 at home by Bournemouth - not that long ago, a 3 nil reverse at home against the likes of Spurs or Arsenal would be a total shock and hard to accept. Now we are like some sad case of domestic abuse where we've learned its best to keep our mouths shut, and just stumble on in the hope that one day, one day, some day surely, things will get better...

WAKE UP ROVERS FANS - The abusers are sill in the building!

To be fair, I think the imminent departure of yon mon has taken the sting out of the result, bit of a line in the sand for everybody, now if he had just signed  a new deal, it would’ve been very different…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

To be fair, I think the imminent departure of yon mon has taken the sting out of the result, bit of a line in the sand for everybody, now if he had just signed  a new deal, it would’ve been very different…

I agree and having just read the full transcript of his interview I have a degree of sympathy with him. Perhaps he will realise over the next few weeks that perhaps the owners are actually disingenuous and not all he thought they were.

He did still Mark get a few 'good human beings' in though.

On here? Definitely, as the actual game has hardly been discussed, because, well, what’s the point?

And at the ground, there would’ve been far more booing, ‘sort it out’ (you know, as hostile as Ewood gets these days) if the man had just signed a new deal, but again nobody bothered, because, well, what was the point?