BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/2023 Pre Season Thread

34 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Got a few thoughts before the line-up emerges...

• If Brown starts, I bet he plays the game of his life!
  • If Rankin-Costello starts, it could signal the Brittain deal is extremely close, with Brittain potentially getting the nod against Lincoln on Saturday.
  • Phillips was apparently watching the U23s game today. Not sure on logistics here. Possible he trained in the morning, watched that game, and will be in Hartlepool in time, but if not, could be a huge vote of confidence in him if he's starting on Saturday against Lincoln.

Sounds liked it'll be a mixed bag of seniors/juniors today. Ayala, Buckley and Gallagher are all expected to be involved.

You weren’t wrong Gooz 

• Backroom

Worrying how little game time some of our first team will have this pre season 

Dack more than anyone needed a full pre season so I hope this knock is as innocuous as mentioned 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

Dack more than anyone needed a full pre season so I hope this knock is as innocuous as mentioned 

Yeah definitely, I expected the starting 11 (or as good as) to be starting the remaining 2 friendlies.

It seems like they are just spreading the senior players out a bit more, they will have then played 60, 75 and presumably 90 minutes but there are so many kids constantly involved because the squad is so thin.

Dack is a huge worry though, he needed a good pre-season and he has not had any minutes.

Kaminski, Brown, Carter, Wharton, Pickering, Travis, A.Wharton, Hedges, Dolan and Brereton could then play on Saturday, I would love Dack to at least get an hour but I guess that another kid will play unless I have missed someone.

8 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

strange line up,we should giving minutes to players who are deffo going to start,what is the point of bothering with pears and jrc

But we don't have any RBs who are definitely going to start. The man who will be starting hasn't had his medical yet. As for Pears, whether we like it or not he is the backup GK. He won't get any games during the season unless TK is out, but JDT will want a look at him. Should be enough for him to figure out he's not good enough...also maybe some League One or Two interested party might be watching and loan him off our hands. But I'll agree, I probably wouldn't start him in this game, but it could be with an eye on another friendly in a few days...I know goalies don't do much, but it's still quick, sharp movements and I guess there's a slightly greater risk of injury in preseason even for them.

As for the rest of the team, we go again on Saturday, which IMO is the best one to put our first XI out for, as then they have a full week to recover and train for QPR. If anything I'm surprised we have as many probable starters out today as we do, I probably wouldn't have used any tonight.

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

We will still make XI changes in the League Cup. At least Dack should be getting a full game there.

Edited by Hasta

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It seems like they are just spreading the senior players out a bit more, they will have then played 60, 75 and presumably 90 minutes but there are so many kids constantly involved because the squad is so thin.

Dack is a huge worry though, he needed a good pre-season and he has not had any minutes.

Kaminski, Brown, Carter, Wharton, Pickering, Travis, A.Wharton, Hedges, Dolan and Brereton could then play on Saturday, I would love Dack to at least get an hour but I guess that another kid will play unless I have missed someone.

Ash Phillips will play a part you’d think 

Interesting to see Buckley and Garrett play together. I imagine the boss wants to see how the young understudies will work partnered with the senior two, so we will likely see Wharton and Travis on Saturday. Good idea if you ask me, shame we don't have more time in pre-season though. JDT said he would have done things differently, and I wonder if more games, perhaps starting earlier, is how he would have done it. This is an unusually short summer thanks to the WC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Interesting to see Buckley and Garrett play together. I imagine the boss wants to see how the young understudies will work partnered with the senior two, so we will likely see Wharton and Travis on Saturday. Good idea if you ask me, shame we don't have more time in pre-season though. JDT said he would have done things differently, and I wonder if more games, perhaps starting earlier, is how he would have done it. This is an unusually short summer thanks to the WC.

It’s ok because the transfer window doesn’t end until the end of August. Therefore we’ve got all those games in August to see which players fit into what formation, and how they respond to JDT’s tactics and formation.

I believe that first 15% of the season isn’t as important as the rest of the season.

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, J*B said:

I’m really worried about Dacky, it’s such a shame. Another season without a pre season. 

Plus he’s clearly balding and refusing to admit it

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Hasta said:

It’s ok because the transfer window doesn’t end until the end of August. Therefore we’ve got all those games in August to see which players fit into what formation, and how they respond to JDT’s tactics and formation.

I believe that first 15% of the season isn’t as important as the rest of the season.

I'm curious why you think that is? The points count the same. Spending 15% of the season pissing around with formations and lineups risks essentially starting with a handicap.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Surely a pre-season in which 22 players get 60, 75 and then 90 minutes is fairly standard?

The problem is that we are so short of senior players to begin with.

@neophox I doubt potential results matter one jot to the manager. All about fitness and preparation.

Morale booster....next week the championship begins!

17 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Seems strange we aint got many pre season games, and of the ones we do have one is being used for mainly fringe players, 

2 games in 70 hours is what players who are already fit are expected to complete, usually a bit into the season already. Our players aren't fully fit yet, so it makes perfect sense to not have them put that kind of shift in yet, especially using a high press. Some of them have only just completed their first 90 minutes. Like I said before, the problem is more that the schedule overall hasn't been intensive enough or started early enough, but I wouldn't want to rush that in now and start the season with a couple of injured first team players.

Edited by bluebruce