BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

2 hours ago, superniko said:

Fair - but he has his arms folded looking disinterested as multiple players walk past getting introduced, not just the still photo. 
Wouldn’t mind a bit of enthusiasm from him. 

He looks deflated, weak and pi**ed off to me. More enthusiasm in a soggy bag of chips

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

This club ay, only place you would ever hear ‘performance over wins’ from executives (and some managers).

Luckily we have a proper winner as manager now and you won’t be hearing it from him, I’d wager…

In context Gregg was talking about long term success, and he is correct. You ask the guys who run Brentford (best run club in the country bar Man City) and they will tell you that’s their ‘moneyball’ philosophy. But hey! MattyBlue says it’s all about unsustainable scrappy 1-0 wins… that got us far after January…

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Roverall said:

Broughton says he believes Mowbray 'over-achieved for years.' That doesn't fill me with confidence. 

There also seems to be a distinctive unwillingness to bluntly state what the ambition is. A lot of vagueness. How hard is it to say, "We will fight for promotion"? 

Maybe he meant considering Mowbrays ability - he over achieved 🤔 

I thought the party line was to become a sustainable Premier League club ? I am sure I have seen more than one reference from Broughton to that effect ? Which obviously includes promotion at some point.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Realistic Rover said:

In context Gregg was talking about long term success, and he is correct. You ask the guys who run Brentford (best run club in the country bar Man City) and they will tell you that’s their ‘moneyball’ philosophy. But hey! MattyBlue says it’s all about unsustainable scrappy 1-0 wins… that got us far after January…

If you put in good performaces, the wins naturally come.

7 minutes ago, Realistic Rover said:

When did Mattyblue say that?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Roverall said:

Broughton says he believes Mowbray 'over-achieved for years.' That doesn't fill me with confidence. 

There also seems to be a distinctive unwillingness to bluntly state what the ambition is. A lot of vagueness. How hard is it to say, "We will fight for promotion"? 

One of the plus-points of employing JDT as head coach is I can't see him wanting to further his career by finishing mid-table and just developing players. He knows his stock only rises if he does well.

That doesn't mean he will be supported, but unlike a lot of the journeymen managers we could have appointed just trying to get another job to earn a salary, at least we know he'll be fighting internally to do as well as possible for the club. He surely had other choices across Europe.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy612 said:

Broughton when asked has he had chance to speak with Ryan, or his representatives?

“Not yet, but that’s on the agenda, and will happen very soon.  “Hopefully we’ll have an answer on that shortly.

“Ryan is a top player, he can be a top, top Championship player, I think he really suits the football that Jon wants to play.

“We’ll sit down with him, but it’s wrong of me to put words in someone’s mouth and I haven’t had chance to speak to either Ryan or his representative.

“When I’ve done that, I’ll be able to give you more information.”

I'm a bit disappointed with that.  9 days(?) since he was appointed.  That is one of the most pressing matters this summer.   If Nyambe stays we PROBABLY have enough cover not to worry about right back.  If he goes it's yet another position to fill in our threadbare squad. 

I understand Nyambe left the Namibia squad for personal reasons last week so maybe he hasn't been available to speak with,

I think this will be a good early indicator of how much backing the new set up will get.

Broughton clearly rates Nyambe, and if Tomasson prefers playing a 4-4-2, I can’t see many better options out there. Obviously Mowbray never fully backed him and the contract offer reflected that.

If he does stay it would suggest we’ve allowed the new guys to improve the offer, and that we are paying him at or near the going rate. If he ends up at a club on a similar footing to us, like Lenihan with Boro, there’ll be the start of faint alarm bells.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roverall said:

It's just a respectful response to a question about an ex-member of staff. I wouldn't read too much into that.

Edited by booth

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Hasta said:

One of the plus-points of employing JDT as head coach is I can't see him wanting to further his career by finishing mid-table and just developing players. He knows his stock only rises if he does well.

That doesn't mean he will be supported, but unlike a lot of the journeymen managers we could have appointed just trying to get another job to earn a salary, at least we know he'll be fighting internally to do as well as possible for the club. He surely had other choices across Europe.

Gregg implied JDT has turned down CL football at other league-winning clubs to come here because he prefers the challenge.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

But we aren't going to be in the fight for promotion. Not this season, not realistically.

I think it's important for fans to grasp that this will be a transitional season. Whether we like it or not. Regardless of the posts I've seen that 'we finished 8th, we need to do better this season', it's not a realistic ask. We had a purple patch for a few months last season, but we were absolutely abysmal for an entire half a season after that, the most recent half. It just came together beautifully for a bit, and one man (BBD) who won't be here next season in all likelihood was a huge part of that.

We need to face facts. We have half a squad, probably not much of a budget, and a new management structure and team that we have appointed a few weeks later than would have been ideal, who have all switched countries. If we do replace the squad losses adequately, the new players will still need time to settle in to their new environments and teammates. The existing squad are clearly going to need to adapt to a new playing style.

I'm not saying this to be doom and gloom at all. I'm just preaching patience, and giving JDT the time he needs to make things tick. With all the above factors, there is every chance we get off to a slow start to the season, and it's crucial that despair doesn't set in amongst the fanbase. Obviously we don't want any several year journey to nowhere bullshit again, and losing all our first 5 games wouldn't be acceptable, but it's unlikely we achieve success overnight with everything considered.

Not saying it can't happen either, maybe everything comes together perfectly again but without an incompetent in the hotseat and we get over the line. But being realistic, a mid-table finish with signs of growth as the season goes on is all we should really expect this season. With a promotion challenge the next season being a must. So I'm not surprised they're not talking about promotion this season. They've talked about becoming a stable Prem club though so it's clearly in the plan going forward.

(p.s. - Totally agree it's a bit concerning if Broughton thinks Mowbray overachieved for years, but hopefully he's just paying lip service)

Correct, they aren't going to these lengths to try and gamble for promotion it's a complete overhaul.  Everything will be based around low cost brought in youth and home grown players.  The process of that already began last summer the people there had no choice but to go with it or just go.

Mowbray mumbled on about it enough times whilst his CEO hid in the shadows taking no responsibility. 

This is the right way to go for Rovers now but it's no instant hit although you never know. 

A real opportunity was totally blown last season so it's start again now and hope to see something good in a few seasons.  Not ideal but there's no money for big players and wages again yet.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

While everyone's other halves are gushing over JDT, showed the missus Broughton doing an interview, she was not so impressed, "creepy looking, comes across very dull, face for radio" 🤐

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Correct, they aren't going to these lengths to try and gamble for promotion it's a complete overhaul.  Everything will be based around low cost brought in youth and home grown players.  The process of that already began last summer the people there had no choice but to go with it or just go.

Mowbray mumbled on about it enough times whilst his CEO hid in the shadows taking no responsibility. 

This is the right way to go for Rovers now but it's no instant hit although you never know. 

A real opportunity was totally blown last season so it's start again now and hope to see something good in a few seasons.  Not ideal but there's no money for big players and wages again yet.

The sad part is, we could have been in a decent position to attempt an immediate challenge if better long-term planning had been done by the previous incumbents. On the plus side, the gap in squad numbers, if funded adequately which is a big if, represents an opportunity to rebuild the squad in his own image which may not have really been possible in one summer if we still had a more or less full squad suited to a different style. But it's most likely that new players will need time to gel.

I just hope fans exhibit some patience. If the usual alarmist culprits are shouting for his head after the first 3 games, I'll be joining the happy clappers in telling them to chill a while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Which blog is that?

It was a live blog Rich Sharpe did this afternoon. This is what Broughton said on JDT:

Gregg Broughton: “I was really excited to be given the opportunity to come in late in the process, but in the process, of recruiting the head coach.

“Hopefully I was able to ask the right questions of the owners and Steve to make sure we made the right appointment aligned to what we’re trying to achieve.

The impression I got was that JDT was down the line of going to another club until GB intervened

Edited by Tugayisgod
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tricky said:

While everyone's other halves are gushing over JDT, showed the missus Broughton doing an interview, she was not so impressed, "creepy looking, comes across very dull, face for radio" 🤐

Wait until she sees his wallet.

8 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

It was a live blog Rich Sharpe did this afternoon. This is what Broughton said on JDT:

Gregg Broughton: “I was really excited to be given the opportunity to come in late in the process, but in the process, of recruiting the head coach.

“Hopefully I was able to ask the right questions of the owners and Steve to make sure we made the right appointment aligned to what we’re trying to achieve.

The impression I got was that JDT was down the line of going to another club until GB intervened

That may be so, but is it a good or bad thing for the Rovers ?

35 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

That's quite an underachievement then.

Let's hope he continues to do poorly in his immediate managerial career!

I don't think he did anywhere near as bad as that, they came 6th in the last full season before his appointment (19/20 was abandoned) and there's far more competition than in Scotland where there's a set top two. Looking at the replies to Kompany's tweet about leaving Anderlecht, their fans were thanking him and were sorry to see him go.

But yep, hope it goes horribly for him at Burnley of course!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roverall said:

I cant see JDT coming here just to languish in the championship. More like he’s come to make a name for himself as a manager using us as a stepping stone

• Like 6