BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

50 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Can’t say I remember that one? Was AW even remotely overweight? Kevin Davies, maybe…

I remember it well. 

Right along with "Tony Parkes blue and white army (Fuck off Brian Kidd!)"

It was a very tough season that one. For some reason it felt like every single game was played in the depths of winter. Maybe it wa just the atmosphere. 

42 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

That's just what I remember from my young days on the Blackburn End. 

To be fair most of the players that year were shite. 

No wonder the first thing Souness did was clear most of them off.

Even by todays standards its ridiculous how much money we paid for most of those awful players in kidds terrible and thankfully short lived era

And thats when Jack Walker was still signing the cheques as well! 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

was browny as bad as ashley ward,truly the worst striker iv`e ever seen,at least browny did make himself a nuisance to defenders

With 5 in 17 in the Premier League and albeit less impressively 8 in 37 in the Championship, Ward was a goal machine compared to Brown’s 0 in 41 for us. 

He was beyond awful, Brown. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Even by todays standards its ridiculous how much money we paid for most of those awful players in kidds terrible and thankfully short lived era

And thats when Jack Walker was still signing the cheques as well! 

Brian kidd did sign the great matt jansen 

• Like 1

Ward, Davies and Blake were poor signings back then, but nobody beats Chris Brown for me, when it comes to the worst Rovers striker I've ever seen.

Talking of Blake, it feels like he only ever scored three goals for us. He probably got a few more, but I can only remember three of them. The header at Old Trafford when we lost 3-2, the winner in the cup game at Anfield and an opening day goal at Derby in 2001.

Much better than Brown though.

1 hour ago, onlyoneDuff said:

Never heard a Rovers player called a donkey more than Ward...followed closely by Nathan Blake

Makes me laugh when people put Blake (and Roberts) in worst striker lists. He played half of his games for us in the Premier League and had a significantly better strike rate for us than the likes of Sam Gallagher and Matt Derbyshire, let alone Ward and Brown. The problem was his fee.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Makes me laugh when people put Blake (and Roberts) in worst striker lists. He played half of his games for us in the Premier League and had a significantly better strike rate for us than the likes of Sam Gallagher and Matt Derbyshire, let alone Ward and Brown. The problem was his fee.

Roberts was such a physical specimen and at least he bagged a few, weirdest shooting technique I’ve ever seen though, some of his finishes were that bad that they actually fooled the keeper and went in 😂 gave me one of my best away day moments with that last minute storming run and finish away at Bolton though! Great away day that. 1-0 down at half time and a 2-1 win 😀 Just a shame there was only about 1k of us there though because it was a Sunday on sky. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Butty said:

Roberts was such a physical specimen and at least he bagged a few, weirdest shooting technique I’ve ever seen though, some of his finishes were that bad that they actually fooled the keeper and went in 😂 gave me one of my best away day moments with that last minute storming run and finish away at Bolton though! Great away day that. 1-0 down at half time and a 2-1 win 😀 Just a shame there was only about 1k of us there though because it was a Sunday on sky. 

Blake was meh but far from a worst striker. I actually liked Roberts. The problem is he wasn’t a striker for a team aiming for the top 6 as we felt we should be doing at the time, but he gets a lot of unfair grief.

On a similar note to yours, Yorke isn’t really fondly remember for his spell in a Rovers shirt. However one of my best away moments was his equaliser at Bolton to make it 2-2 in the 95th minute after being 2-0 down.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Butty said:

great game,i broke my seat in celebration😅,that roberts goal only just sneeked in,hence the jubilation

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Brian kidd did sign the great matt jansen 

True! He had no idea what to do with him though if you remember, played him more as an attacking midfielder and he was initially just looking like a bit of a show pony from what i remember, it was Souness that quickly turned him into a brilliant all round centre forward 🙌

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

Talking of Blake, it feels like he only ever scored three goals for us. He probably got a few more, but I can only remember three of them. The header at Old Trafford when we lost 3-2, the winner in the cup game at Anfield and an opening day goal at Derby in 2001.

I rewatched the 2000/01 season review recently and he actually bagged a surprising amount at the start of that season. But then Bent and Hughes came in and, according to transfermarkt, Blake barely made another matchday squad the rest of the season (not sure if he was injured or something or just not picked at all for months).

Just now, frosty said:

I rewatched the 2000/01 season review recently and he actually bagged a surprising amount at the start of that season. But then Bent and Hughes came in and, according to transfermarkt, Blake barely made another matchday squad the rest of the season (not sure if he was injured or something or just not picked at all for months).

Bent was a real beast for us initially, shame he was apparently a complete scummo off the field so we soon got shut 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frosty said:

Yeah he got quite a bad injury fairly early on in the season, that's why we got Hughes and then Bent in.

He scored in the final game of the season at Gillingham, then again on the opening day of the following season at Derby before leaving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frosty said:

Scored at Gillingham last game ...But promotion was already assured ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frosty said:

I've just been looking up the stats from that season and surprisingly he scored 5 goals in the first couple of months of the season and was a regular starter up until October.

After starting at Fulham in October, he then made two sub appearances towards the end of January, and started the last game of the season, and scored, away at Gillingham. I can't remember if he picked up injuries in between or if it was a case of Souness not rating him, but he had large spells out of the match day squad altogether.

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Bent was a real beast for us initially, shame he was apparently a complete scummo off the field so we soon got shut 

A few years ago there was an incident where the police had to taser Bent as he was high on something and was waving a cleaver at them. Not good to read about, obviously.

However, as a player for us in that promotion season, he was excellent. I remember him scoring some important goals along the way. Watford away was one. Scored the opener at Bolton too. Plus he was brilliant for me on Champ Man 01/02 (what a game!) alongside Jansen upfront 😁.

Edit: Blake did pick up an injury, as per Mark's post above.

Edited by SuperBrfc
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Butty said:

The main problem with Roberts was the 4-5-1 formation that big Sam insisted on using all the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Butty said:

Best shin shot I’ve ever seen. He shinned it harder than some players can shoot. 

• Like 3