BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

3 minutes ago, KentExile said:

One of the main criticisms of Neil by fans of clubs he has managed, has been an aversion to using or developing younger players, and Rovers have a squad full of them.

Eustace was in 2nd place in the Championship when sacked

They were sixth.

The club were sixth in the Championship table when they surprisingly dismissed John Eustace in October,

• Like 2

You just know the club will think "we need the fans on our side so let's employ Gareth Ainsworth who is also a fan!". 

Personally, I'd go for Ian Evatt who has a high reputation as a young coach with his progressive playing style at the clubs he's managed at. He helped rebuild Bolton to help them fly high in League 1. The question is, would he want to trade that for life at Blackburn? 😂

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Amazing how perceptions are in the game isn't it.

Neil:

Championship promotion with Norwich, a season managing in the PL

3 top half / play-off pushes with PNE

Promotion from League One with Sunderland

Mid-table/mediocre with Stoke (where everyone struggles)

Eustace:

1 season, 17th with Birmingham, much fanfare

I'm struggling to see why some would be happy / content with Eustace but not Neil.

Alex Neil is just Mowbray Mk II. All of his success was a decade or more ago, since then he's just been a serial merrygorounder, achieving very little.

Eustace, whilst arguably more of a gamble, would be a more exciting (in context) & forward-looking appointment imo. I think he was discarded from Brum just as he was taking off, and if you look at the link I posted a few pages back he does seem to be inheriting similar circs here to those he inherited there.

And fwiw I think the Coventry link to Waggott is coincidental. Given their respective times in the game, I would guess Waggott knows Neil better than he does Eustace.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

They were sixth.

The club were sixth in the Championship table when they surprisingly dismissed John Eustace in October,

6th, 2nd, doesn't really matter. We were 7th a month later and look where we are now. There's no guarantee they were going to keep the results they had up. It was definitely harsh to sack him, but we shouldn't be making decisions based on 2 months of games.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Neal said:

I don't disagree with you either but I'd say it's not the lack of transfers that hurt but rather the injuries we picked up. I loved some of the football we played but that goals against column tells a story. 

I think it's both, and having to use Wahlstedt. That fella alone lost us plenty of points and wrecked the confidence of an already patched up defence.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KentExile said:

One of the main criticisms of Neil by fans of clubs he has managed, has been an aversion to using or developing younger players, and Rovers have a squad full of them.

Eustace was in 2nd place in the Championship when sacked

They were actually 5th, two points above 11th having played an extra game than everyone else by virtue of a Friday night fixture.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tim Southampton Rover said:

You just know the club will think "we need the fans on our side so let's employ Gareth Ainsworth who is also a fan!". 

Personally, I'd go for Ian Evatt who has a high reputation as a young coach with his progressive playing style at the clubs he's managed at. He helped rebuild Bolton to help them fly high in League 1. The question is, would he want to trade that for life at Blackburn? 😂

There are lots of good young coaches in current employment but we won't get any of them. I don't think we have appointed a manager who was in work and had to pay compensation, it's a bit like exploiting the free transfer market. That narrows it down a bit.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Alex Neil is just Mowbray Mk II. All of his success was a decade or more ago, since then he's just been a serial merrygorounder, achieving very little.

Eustace, whilst arguably more of a gamble, would be a more exciting (in context) & forward-looking appointment imo. I think he was discarded from Brum just as he was taking off, and if you look at the link I posted a few pages back he does seem to be inheriting similar circs here to those he inherited there.

And fwiw I think the Coventry link to Waggott is coincidental. Given their respective times in the game, I would guess Waggott knows Neil better than he does Eustace.

On what basis would Eustace be 'exciting' or 'forward looking'

I'm just genuinely unclear what it is that he possesses that has led you to conclude this.

It appears to me to be the fact that he hasn't managed many teams or for very long.

He might be a good un I'm just not clear how he has earned such a solid 'exciting' reputation from 1 season battling the drop at Birmingham

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There are lots of good young coaches in current employment but we won't get any of them. I don't think we have appointed a manager who was in work and had to pay compensation, it's a bit like exploiting the free transfer market. That narrows it down a bit.

I think, but might be wrong, that we paid to get Appleton from Blackpool all those years ago for some reason.

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

They were actually 5th, two points above 11th having played an extra game than everyone else by virtue of a Friday night fixture.

That's such a championship stat!

I am still amazed that just missed out on the playoffs last season on goal difference despite winning 2 of our last 11 games. Absolutely bonkers league.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I think, but might be wrong, that we paid to get Appleton from Blackpool all those years ago for some reason.

You're not wrong, he'd only managed them for two months then we wanted him for some reason.

• Like 1

I'm a bit loath to discuss new managers whilst JDT is still technically in situ but I'm not overly excited by the prospect of Eustace. Quite a few Birmingham fans on Talksport seemed to think they'd peaked and were well on the decline long before Rooney came in. The general consensus as well was that the style of play was very boring.

All that said, I bet we're a very long way off appointing ANY of the names we're currently linked with. Do you think any of them are fully aware of the financial situation? 

Or are they just looking at the table and thinking, "Blackburn have dropped off a bit, I bet I can turn that round!"

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Benni McCarthy as an outside bet?? 

Well regarded as a coach 

32 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The local McDonalds will be delighted

2 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Why's that?

image.thumb.png.87af663fd27c7076764511613346bcb1.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The local McDonalds will be delighted

African Champions league qualification without Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates, and man UTD coach.  Champions league winner and ex player.  

To be very clear I do not endorse him as manager, but on paper...

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

It really doesn’t matter who we appoint . Yeah we might get a new manager bounce and we might stay up for another season but the club as a whole is set up to fail . This is just kicking the can down the road. Eustace, rowett, hughes, neill, Mowbray Ben benson. It really doesn’t matter until we get things right at boardroom level.

I honestly don’t care who they appointment the outcome is the same

100% Wouldn't make much difference if we had Pep Guardiola or Jurgen Klopp as our next manager. 

Until we get rid of the shambolic owners, and closer to home Waggot and Suhail we are only going one way. How far we fall is anyone's guess.

Edited by damo100
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Tim Southampton Rover said:

A definite "NO!!!!"  Would you if you were in his position?