BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

We were in freefall under Tomasson and going down. 

Some of the football under him, especially earlier this season, was as good as we've seen for a good while, but he obviously lacked the nous to turn around the form when a different approach was required. 

We were/are in a tailspin, hopefully Eustace can pull that nose up before we crash land into League 1.

jesus himself could`nt have turned rovers round this season,injuries,bad bargain basement  signings and a complete shutdown of any transfer plan has rendered us a complete mess

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

jesus himself could`nt have turned rovers round this season,injuries,bad bargain basement  signings and a complete shutdown of any transfer plan has rendered us a complete mess

And the squad he did have to use were a bunch of soft whinging cunts who are completely and utterly weak, both mentally and physically. 

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

We'd better hope so, let's hope Eustace can do what Tomasson couldn't. 

We were just outside the play offs and had won a load of games going into December, points on the board is all that mattered to me.

We then couldn’t buy a win for two and a bit months and the manager left, that’s football.

Whereas this fella has been in post since early February and still hasn’t won a game by Easter (eighth league game today). Still, least we are now ‘pragmatic’.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, M_B said:

We were in freefall under Tomasson and going down. 

Some of the football under him, especially earlier this season, was as good as we've seen for a good while, but he obviously lacked the nous to turn around the form when a different approach was required. 

We were/are in a tailspin, hopefully Eustace can pull that nose up before we crash land into League 1.

Must admit that I totally agree.   The football was easy on the eye but results were shocking after the Southampton game.  That was an appalling performance and I think highlighted that something was not right.  We ended last season with two wins from the last eleven games - the 69 points we ended with was the same total as Mowbray achieved the previous season.  Different styles but same outcome.

I'll judge the present manager when he's had a pre-season to work with players.  However, from I've seen so far he seems to be able to adopt a more pragmatic approach to the game than JDT.  If JDT had been able to turn defeats into the odd draw or two we may have reached the play-offs.  Unfortunately, he seemed unable to move away from one way of playing that all too often left us open defensively.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roverblue said:

You can’t mention that on here as apparently we were Barcelona esque up until December. 

Going into December we were placed 4th for the number of clear cut chances created in the league.

Some of the football was excellent going into December

Not true last season though Parson. This season undoubtedly he had ‘one way’ much of the time, largely because I feel he knew he had one foot out of the door and thought ‘feck it’ - another reason they should’ve parted ways much earlier, but this club doesn’t do such things.

However you don’t get to 7th (outside the play offs on GD) and two good cup runs with a squad as average as that one by playing kamikaze football.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Disagree about last season.  The Cup runs were excellent no doubt about that.  But in the league the results came in fits and starts.  At the end of the day he reached 69 points.  Mowbray, who for some reason gets castigated at every opportunity by some, achieved exactly the same the previous season.  

I admit, that JDT's football was easy on the eye and I enjoyed watching games.  But, ultimately, he failed to get the results that were needed and for me the Southampton away game was the one where I started to believe that he'd lost some of the players.  I don't think the fall out with Travis helped his cause and the more I hear the more I agree that he needed to go - as you say probably sooner than he did.

• Like 1

He did a good job last season I can’t see how anybody can say any different with those players - as did TM in 21/22.

Was it a fantastic job? No as we fell short, but we won’t be seeing a fantastic job ever again at this club until a change of ownership.

I think it’s becoming clear that it wasn’t a happy camp at Ewood. For whatever reason, I don’t really know. Players who weren’t  getting picked were never happy in the past, but with massive benches these days most players get some game time. I’ve seen enough relegation “ battles “ at Rovers to feel we were going down under JDT. Not much was working and the feeling of Rovers being a “ Zombie “ club had emerged again. The new guy may keep us up, he may not, but to judge him now after the really difficult start he’s had is ridiculous.

I say “ battles “ because we don’t do battles normally, we just go down.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Disagree about last season.  The Cup runs were excellent no doubt about that.  But in the league the results came in fits and starts.  At the end of the day he reached 69 points.  Mowbray, who for some reason gets castigated at every opportunity by some, achieved exactly the same the previous season.  

I admit, that JDT's football was easy on the eye and I enjoyed watching games.  But, ultimately, he failed to get the results that were needed and for me the Southampton away game was the one where I started to believe that he'd lost some of the players.  I don't think the fall out with Travis helped his cause and the more I hear the more I agree that he needed to go - as you say probably sooner than he did.

Nail on the head.

I was a fan of JDT, and he was more sinned against than sinner, but certainly not worthy of sainthood.

• Like 2

Both Mowbray and Tomasson both blew big chances to get in the playoffs. The collapse in form in the latter half of those 2 seasons were similar but it felt worse under Tomasson because we had been in the top 6 right to the very end only to fail at the last hurdle. The game at Preston will wrankle for a very long time.

There's a rose tinted view of Tomasson because of his fluent passing game but forgotten also were many dreadful performances when the team did not compete and gave away some of the silliest, softest goals I've ever seen through unnecessary mistakes at the back.

I liked Tomasson but he outstayed his welcome and was allowed to continue in post far too long. In the end he had lost interest and was actually damaging the club. 

• Like 7

Goes without saying i wish TM well and hope he gets better and back into football.

Problem was he spent that much time dumbing down expectation, bigging up ALL opposition and generally running the club down to ease the pressure off himself that we almost forgot who we were. Then when we unexpectedly found ourselves up there it was a feeling of we are not worthy and just waiting for it to implode.

When it did, a shrug of the shoulders we'd no right to be there anyway.

• Like 5

I don’t give a shiny shite about ‘passing games’, ‘playing the right way’ and all that - results, results, results is all that matters to me and he got plenty to have us consistently around the top 6 until December 2023.

I will judge JE exactly the same way as we await said win as we go into game eight of his reign. The wins start today with a 1-0 off Gally’s shin after 90 minutes of hoofing it? Sounds good to me. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

A lot of similarities to Hodgsons time with JDT.

Fresh continental approach, different coaching, harder work more demanding on the pitch and in training, asked to play a style unacustomed to.  At first when bedded in it worked well but impossible to keep it up with such a small quality devoid squad.

When it went wrong the stubborn approach wouldn't change it when needed and tactically caught out by other teams who's sussed us out 2nd half of the season.

In Roys case a guy not used to finding his own players made some awful signings and wasted millions.  JDTs case no backing at all when needed, budget cut resulting it being given a string of mostly duds by a rookie DoF.

In the midst of all this a lot of players fed up, poor atmosphere and tools being downed resulting in bad results and a yearning to go back to the comfort zone of something a bit more British.

That didn't work out so lets pray this does.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

A lot of similarities to Hodgsons time with JDT.

Fresh continental approach, different coaching, harder work more demanding on the pitch and in training, asked to play a style unacustomed to.  At first when bedded in it worked well but impossible to keep it up with such a small quality devoid squad.

When it went wrong the stubborn approach wouldn't change it when needed and tactically caught out by other teams who's sussed us out 2nd half of the season.

In Roys case a guy not used to finding his own players made some awful signings and wasted millions.  JDTs case no backing at all when needed, budget cut resulting it being given a string of mostly duds by a rookie DoF.

In the midst of all this a lot of players fed up, poor atmosphere and tools being downed resulting in bad results and a yearning to go back to the comfort zone of something a bit more British.

That didn't work out so lets pray this does.

A fair comparison I feel. Both also had to deal with players having tantrums and causing trouble. This was the main downfall with Hodgson, the training was hard and regimented and senior players started to kick off and cause trouble. 

In both instances these things were preexisting but a run of bad results brought them to the surface.

Hodgson was given a fortune to spend and he spent it very poorly, JDT was undermined and constantly had the club working against him.

I'm sure that JDT, like Hodgson will go on to have a long and successful career and we'll be looking back thinking what could have been. Both were the right man at the wrong time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Goes without saying i wish TM well and hope he gets better and back into football.

Problem was he spent that much time dumbing down expectation, bigging up ALL opposition and generally running the club down to ease the pressure off himself that we almost forgot who we were. Then when we unexpectedly found ourselves up there it was a feeling of we are not worthy and just waiting for it to implode.

When it did, a shrug of the shoulders we'd no right to be there anyway.

you talk a lot of sense sir. very measured. I like.

• Like 1

Hope you enjoyed today’s game Scotty. At least big bad JDT won’t be criticising you in the dressing room. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 8
  • Downvote 2