BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

• Moderation Lead
11 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Chelsea sack Tuchel. Another manager who had a Project. These guys have a limited shelf life and is why the idea of Tomasson’s Project, like Mowbray’s, is wrong. Results in the here and now are what matter, not projects that may of may not work in a volatile ever changing industry

One hell of a successful project to win the Champions League in his first 9 months….

• Like 2

I just watched the post match interview of JDY and I must say he looks a little down, has stress written all over his face.  Nit the bright smiling cheery character he has been.  Is reality setting in?  Is he now realizing he may have bitten iff more than he can chew.  I still have faith but does he?

Give the man a chance to bed in, put his mark on the squad and establish his way of doing things. Probably needs a full season, including the January incomings and outgoings for us to get a clear picture of what might be possible under JDT.

In the meantime, it is likely to be a bumpy ride, for all the reasons already discussed ad-nauseam in this message board.

For me, I like the change of atmosphere and greater honesty from the 'manager' in assessing each performance. JDT is no shrinking violet with sloping shoulders, and whilst I'm sure he will be being paid handsomely (in comparison to us ordinary mortals) he isn't (yet) looking at his retirement pot. Instead he seems to be aware that success (or failure) in this role will be critical to what happens next in terms of his trajectory in management - whereas the gurning chump seemed not to give a flying fuff either way.

I'd love it if JDT could establish Rovers once again as a force to be reckoned with, but in the short term I think we all know that there are too many holes in the proposition for it to be possible just yet. 

I'm strapping in for the long haul on the JDT show. Do join me!

COYB! 

4 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I just watched the post match interview of JDY and I must say he looks a little down, has stress written all over his face.  Nit the bright smiling cheery character he has been.  Is reality setting in?  Is he now realizing he may have bitten iff more than he can chew.  I still have faith but does he?

He must be frustrated with the injuries so early in the season combined with not being able to bring in another player.

I feel pretty down about it. We've shown good attacking play at times but some of the players looked knackered on Saturday. If we hadn't had those injuries we'd be doing better, even if we weren't actually playing better.

The injuries to key players is really hurting us.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Chelsea sack Tuchel. Another manager who had a Project. These guys have a limited shelf life and is why the idea of Tomasson’s Project, like Mowbray’s, is wrong. Results in the here and now are what matter, not projects that may of may not work in a volatile ever changing industry

Chelsea job was project under Abramovich? really? that was he sacked a manager after a few months of winning the champions league? sack Ancelotti who is one of the best ever managers in the world, Sacked Mourinho twice? 

Rovers have a proper plan under GB and JDT, so fans need to understand it and get behind it

Chelsea have regularly been lambasted for the relatively short time that they tend to give managers for some reason yet they have consistently picked up trophies throughout that time, justifying those decisions. On a much smaller scale, its the same at Watford.

Regarding JDT, people don't need to be patronised into understanding anything. If we get good results, he will get praised, if we get shit results, he will get criticised.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Chelsea job was project under Abramovich? really? that was he sacked a manager after a few months of winning the champions league? sack Ancelotti who is one of the best ever managers in the world, Sacked Mourinho twice? 

Rovers have a proper plan under GB and JDT, so fans need to understand it and get behind it

im`e right behind him but we  can`t carry on losing games we should`nt because his formation does`nt work against the better sides in the division

For goodness sake, with stretched resources and from a starting point of 8 first team squad departures, we've got 12 points from 24 and are in 7th place, plus 2 decent cup wins. We would all have taken that on July 30th.

There've been some great performances, some average ones, and some poor ones, with results to match; that's what thus league does!! We've won some matches in style, & been hugely underwhelming in others. The bad results & performances (Bristol C, Sheff U & Reading) have been balanced out by impressive wins that we didn't achieve last season (Swansea, Blackpool & W Brom). 

I find this talk of "He's not his usual cheery self, has he bitten off more than he can chew" & "he can't lose too many more games or he won't get chance to continue the project" quite premature & overly critical. He probably is a bit tired after the chaos that is the transfer window, coupled with full midweek fixture lists, but that doesn't mean he's suddenly regretting his choice to come here or is not up to the task!

He & his team need time to adapt, to implement their ideas, to grow the players. If whilst doing that it takes another few weeks of WLLWWL (whether we win or lose by 1 goal or 3) then that's more than fine by me for the first half of his first season.

• Like 8

I haven't seen many comments regarding his comments although we have seen with Mowbray (and even before) that when results go against us, people start to pick apart post match interviews/touchline demeanour much more. 

The start points wise possibly flatters us if that is possible, but is a very reasonable return nonetheless. That being said, it can't be a case of praise when we win and call for time when we lose. People as with any manager will pass comment as we go, after the first 3 games you couldn't move for compliments, in the last 5 games the results and level of performance have been really poor, so there will naturally be questioned asked. I'm sure that Tomasson will get time but only if there are signs on the pitch of a plan coming together, not blindly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Or else what you gunna do about it 🤣😂

Bit pedantic maybe... But I think the word project needs to be replaced with the word strategy really. 

Calling it a project, plan, ... journey🙄 you're just setting yourselves up to fail if all doesn't go exactly to plan. 

But if you have a strategy and just work hard and do your best every week best that's all us fans want to see! And if at some stage were rewarded for it in some way then great, but if not then so be it as long as they gave their whole

1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

He & his team need time to adapt, to implement their ideas, to grow the players. If whilst doing that it takes another few weeks of WLLWWL (whether we win or lose by 1 goal or 3) then that's more than fine by me for the first half of his first season.

It's been more LLLWL the last 5 matches. The next few matches will tell us if the WWW of the first 3 games is going to be a deviation from the norm. 

But that's just it, I don't think the next 3 games will tell us anything definitively about whether he will be successful overall or not!

10 league games in 8 weeks, only 4 of which will have been with his complete squad post transfer window (and even that shorn of 1st teamers like S Wharton, Brittain & Gallagher for close to half of them), isn't a big enough sample of games to draw firm conclusions as to how the season will go, imo,given the situation he inherited. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I haven't seen many comments regarding his comments although we have seen with Mowbray (and even before) that when results go against us, people start to pick apart post match interviews/touchline demeanour much more. 

Some of his comments have been similar to Mowbray's but they haven't been picked up on, maybe because he is new to the job.

I have to admit, the last two interviews, where he kept on repeating the word "project" did begin to grate a bit.

I thought it was interesting how he said he expects this (the ups and downs) to happen for a long time, when Andy Bayes asked him whether he expects results to even out at some point.

JDT and Broughton have bought themselves 18 months on the face of it, by saying it will take three or four windows. Let's hope results pick up, because if they really go south in the next few months, it's likely he won't be going anywhere despite any fan frustration.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Some of his comments have been similar to Mowbray's but they haven't been picked up on, maybe because he is new to the job.

I have to admit, the last two interviews, where he kept on repeating the word "project" did begin to grate a bit.

I thought it was interesting how he said he expects this (the ups and downs) to happen for a long time, when Andy Bayes asked him whether he expects results to even out at some point.

JDT and Broughton have bought themselves 18 months on the face of it, by saying it will take three or four windows. Let's hope results pick up, because if they really go south in the next few months, it's likely he won't be going anywhere despite any fan frustration.

Usual manager spiel I guess. Obviously it makes sense for any manager to try and buy as much time as possible.

I think Xmas is a fair time assess if we can actually see what he’s trying to achieve and if it’s working or not . By then we should all know the new players better and they will be settled into the squad, the young lads will have 10-20 games behind them and JDT will have had a good amount of time to assess it all. I fully expect to see a settled side with a cohesive way of playing, creating chances and some entertaining games by then with just a few upgrades on players needed 

• Like 1

My first impressions were he looks like a really nice fella and maybe too nice.  Maybe too intellectual for the British player mentality and my fears were before he started that he didnt know the rough and tumble of the madhouse that is The Championship.

IMO he needs some older tough seasoned pros who will play hardball and once promoted you can dispense with them and go with more of a flair type continental player.  To me its men against boys right now.

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think it is impossible to put a time on it, no matter what any manager it says it should be just an ongoing thing. Patience and time awarded should performances and results show signs of improvement and encouragement, rather than give it until x date then judge. 

Yeah maybe I worded that wrong . The experimental phase will be over by Xmas and his work will start to be more scrutinised from my point of view. I’ve already made peace with the fact these next 12 weeks are going to be chaotic

5 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

But that's just it, I don't think the next 3 games will tell us anything definitively about whether he will be successful overall or not!

Was this a reply to me? Because it isn't what I said, or what you were discussing. 

You said:

8 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

If whilst doing that it takes another few weeks of WLLWWL (whether we win or lose by 1 goal or 3) then that's more than fine by me for the first half of his first season.

I replied that it was more LLLWL over the last 5 games and the next few matches will tell us if the WWW of the first 3 games was a blip. Which it will. 

Also, we weren't discussing if he will be successful overall or not, we were discussing the first half of the season. 

By the time of the Burnley away game the first half of the season will be pretty much done. JDT needs to win football matches, like every other football manager. He doesn't get a free pass for half a season where he's allowed to win 1 in 5. That's fantasy. So, like I said, we'll see what the next few matches brings. 

11 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

10 league games in 8 weeks, only 4 of which will have been with his complete squad post transfer window (and even that shorn of 1st teamers like S Wharton, Brittain & Gallagher for close to half of them), isn't a big enough sample of games to draw firm conclusions as to how the season will go, imo,given the situation he inherited. 

I think its will take weeks and months before we see this team playing the exact way that JDT wants. Like he keeps saying this is project and there is clear plan in place from the club with Gregg Broughton in charge of it 

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I'm sure that Tomasson will get time but only if there are signs on the pitch of a plan coming together, not blindly.

There are signs of a plan coming together under JDT and he keeps saying they will be ups and downs in the early part of the season as we have seen so far. I am pleased that we have no game midweek so JDT can get the players in for a full week of training 

9 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

My first impressions were he looks like a really nice fella and maybe too nice.  Maybe too intellectual for the British player mentality and my fears were before he started that he didnt know the rough and tumble of the madhouse that is The Championship.

IMO he needs some older tough seasoned pros who will play hardball and once promoted you can dispense with them and go with more of a flair type continental player.  To me its men against boys right now.

From what he has said and from what some people have said with some inside knowledge, I would say JDT is very hard on the players but fair with them. 

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

A problem with the manager not picking the players or at least having full control of recruitment is that it is harder to attach responsibility. I suppose Tomasson could have requested more experience but he hasnt got it.

That's why we didn't appoint a manager but appointed a head coach and someone who is comfort and happy in working in this footballing structure of Director of football and head coach. 

JDT has said he is happy with the signings and happy with the backing he has here. 

No manager ever has full control of recruitment and the time for old fashion manager in full control of transfer is less and less even at Championship level now. 

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

A problem with the manager not picking the players or at least having full control of recruitment is that it is harder to attach responsibility. I suppose Tomasson could have requested more experience but he hasnt got it.

He mentioned needing more experience in an interview when Hyam was signed.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think its will take weeks and months before we see this team playing the exact way that JDT wants. Like he keeps saying this is project and there is clear plan in place from the club with Gregg Broughton in charge of it 

There are signs of a plan coming together under JDT and he keeps saying they will be ups and downs in the early part of the season as we have seen so far. I am pleased that we have no game midweek so JDT can get the players in for a full week of training 

From what he has said and from what some people have said with some inside knowledge, I would say JDT is very hard on the players but fair with them. 

That's why we didn't appoint a manager but appointed a head coach and someone who is comfort and happy in working in this footballing structure of Director of football and head coach. 

JDT has said he is happy with the signings and happy with the backing he has here. 

No manager ever has full control of recruitment and the time for old fashion manager in full control of transfer is less and less even at Championship level now. 

I love that you keep saying that he has said that he is happy and taking it as gospel.

Can you possibly imagine him coming out and saying "well I didn't want these players particularly but they will have to do?!"

I'm not saying that he isn't happy with the signings but come on, don't be naive, we will never know either way.

Regarding a plan, it was a general point. As it happens, lately I have seen very little signs of a plan starting to piece together, with regularly changing teams, a worrying focus on playing it out from the back, a clear lack of experience and physicality, no real signs of the "front 4 fluidity" or even pressing and us looking dodgy at the back and not posing much threat up front. But across the 8 games, with 12 points on the board, definitely enough thus far to crack on. Point being, if say (we won't) in the next 10 games we win 1, draw 2, lose 7 and performance levels remain poor, would you expect everyone to still say, right, don't judge until next season, time and patience etc?

3 hours ago, booth said:

He mentioned needing more experience in an interview when Hyam was signed.

I'm not saying that he isn't happy with Hyam and I think he seems one of the better bits of business at this early stage but he will always make him see

I am sure that he has had an impact but I think that he would much prefer his first choice for example in Ahmedhodzic.

After signing Szmodics, he mentioned his experience in the media. Szmodics has had one season at Championship level where he played with any regularity.