BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That would surely be considered underwhelming.

I wouldn’t say so. Aslong as I can see progression and improvement on the young lads each week, a style of play etc I’d be happy with that. 

i understand your point of slow builds not working in this league and expectation should always be to better last season but knowing how difficult it is to work under these owners , with gregg in a new position, swag, suhail and all that lot, plus so many first team players leaving and the squad being so thin, I think we have to cut him some slack and give him a season to find his feet when you consider how young the and inexperienced some of the lads are coming into the team

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I wouldn’t say so. Aslong as I can see progression and improvement on the young lads each week, a style of play etc I’d be happy with that. 

i understand your point of slow builds not working in this league and expectation should always be to better last season but knowing how difficult it is to work under these owners , with gregg in a new position, swag, suhail and all that lot, plus so many first team players leaving and the squad being so thin, I think we have to cut him some slack and give him a season to find his feet when you consider how young the and inexperienced some of the lads are coming into the team

My thoughts exactly.

But cant help myself get carried away though and think we’ve got as good a chance of top 6 as anyone… 

But that’s not an “expectation” as such.

Next season would expect us to really kick on.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Challenging for top 6 whilst allowing this team to develop and grow under JDT and let this project developed

I think we deffo get top 10

why when you consider everything JDT about this being a project and needed 2 or 3 windows to get his team in place. 

I've outlined why. We have spent relatively speaking a decent level of money on 3 permanent signings, we have signed 3 short term (at least initially) signings and we have decided upon the incredibly short term move of keeping Brereton, who will leave a big hole next season.

Mowbray was a safe pair of hands who almost guaranteed safety and provided stability, a solid Championship manager. We have to overachieve to get promoted, so a safe 4 on a dice is not going to do that, hence why it got to the stage where essentially everyone wanted him gone. We've appointed a dynamic new manager with fresh ideas, we have spent a good positive budget on 3 permanent signings at peak age and we have signed 3 short term deals, as well as the Brereton situation.

Does that mean that if we finish below 8th that we have badly failed and the manager should go? Of course that is far from being necessary true. But all things considered, say we finish 10th, we are lower than last season which is disappointing IMO with all of the above considered.

I am not being impatient and saying it must happen now, but that should be a genuine, serious aim. Mowbray was slagged off for banging on about journeys etc, of course the long term should always be a consideration (and hasnt been with the main issue of the summer) but slow builds don't really work in the hostile economic environment of the Championship.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2022 at 08:55, Nuttall is lost said:

Sorry but Van Hecke is a massive loss.  He was quality and Lenihan was solid.  They were leaders also.  Maybe thats the problem.  Very few leaders int he team.

Lenihan was never a leader - he was captain by default. 

Van Hecke, technically, is a PL CB so of course he's a loss, but I'm happy with our CBs for this season. 

32 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

We did lose a few but we have spent good money to sign 3, have loaned 3 more and have made the huge decision to keep Brereton. He won't be here next season and we won't have any direct money to replace him, so we are already much worse off next season when you think of that build.

Tomasson had 2 seasons in Malmo and won the league in both seasons too.

It just somewhat flies in the face of the (justified) desperation to get rid of a steady hand for an exciting young manager spending a bit of money to be happy with falling down the league.

If we finish 10th say, I am not saying sack him or anything, but we rolled the dice because we want more.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We did lose a few but we have spent good money to sign 3, have loaned 3 more and have made the huge decision to keep Brereton. He won't be here next season and we won't have any direct money to replace him, so we are already much worse off next season when you think of that build.

Tomasson had 2 seasons in Malmo and won the league in both seasons too.

It just somewhat flies in the face of the (justified) desperation to get rid of a steady hand for an exciting young manager spending a bit of money to be happy with falling down the league.

If we finish 10th say, I am not saying sack him or anything, but we rolled the dice because we want more.

Yeah and I don’t want a journey. I’m giving him a seasons grace then I expect results

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I've outlined why. We have spent relatively speaking a decent level of money on 3 permanent signings, we have signed 3 short term (at least initially) signings and we have decided upon the incredibly short term move of keeping Brereton, who will leave a big hole next season.

Mowbray was a safe pair of hands who almost guaranteed safety and provided stability, a solid Championship manager. We have to overachieve to get promoted, so a safe 4 on a dice is not going to do that, hence why it got to the stage where essentially everyone wanted him gone. We've appointed a dynamic new manager with fresh ideas, we have spent a good positive budget on 3 permanent signings at peak age and we have signed 3 short term deals, as well as the Brereton situation.

Does that mean that if we finish below 8th that we have badly failed and the manager should go? Of course that is far from being necessary true. But all things considered, say we finish 10th, we are lower than last season which is disappointing IMO with all of the above considered.

I am not being impatient and saying it must happen now, but that should be a genuine, serious aim. Mowbray was slagged off for banging on about journeys etc, of course the long term should always be a consideration (and hasnt been with the main issue of the summer) but slow builds don't really work in the hostile economic environment of the Championship.

I think a top 10 finish in JDT would be a very good start considering a number of factors. They are the 3 key appointments in the footballing structure at the start of the summer that needed filling and we have done that. Plus, we made 6 signings. Next season I would expect top 6 finish. .

I see this season as work in progress and we are stage 2 of the project now. 

I don't agree that we have to overachieve to get promoted if we have a proper footballing strategy which we appear to have now in place. 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think a top 10 finish in JDT would be a very good start considering a number of factors. They are the 3 key appointments in the footballing structure at the start of the summer that needed filling and we have done that. Plus, we made 6 signings. Next season I would expect top 6 finish. .

I see this season as work in progress and we are stage 2 of the project now. 

I don't agree that we have to overachieve to get promoted if we have a proper footballing strategy which we appear to have now in place. 

A work in progress whereby at the end of the season, by far your biggest asset leaves and goes for nothing, as do 3 of those signings unless any are signed which will be taken from next seasons budget. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A work in progress whereby at the end of the season, by far your biggest asset leaves and goes for nothing, as do 3 of those signings unless any are signed which will be taken from next seasons budget. 

Who knows what is going to happen by BBD, he might sign a new contract, or he might a pre contract with foreign club. Who knows, But we are much better team with him here and also to factor in that no club bid anywhere near the fee we wanted. 

If Mola or Hirst performed well enough, then we sign them permanently. 

Plus, also to factor in several young players like Adam Wharton, Jack Vale. Ash Phillips will have learnt and develop in the next 9 months. 

Just listened to JDT interview today speaking about the project, new signings and developing the young players

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Yes I agree. We can’t afford go on another journey in this league. Look at Hudds they missed out and they lost their two best players right away. That’s what happens. You’re continually having to replace your better players. You don’t get a chance to build a settled side over several seasons.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Challenging for top 6 whilst allowing this team to develop and grow under JDT and let this project developed

I think we deffo get top 10

why when you consider everything JDT about this being a project and needed 2 or 3 windows to get his team in place. 

No it doesn't . That's mowbray talk. Jdt is a winner.  He'll want success today regardless of the platitudes he comes out with about journeys or projects

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 1

Platitudes indeed. Managers all say very similar stuff and it tends to follow a pattern to those who get wrapped up in what a manager says at the start and how "refreshing" it is are in many cases the ones that pick apart everything and get angry towards the end.

Its all self preservation and they say a lot of the same stuff, loads of similarities between what Tomasson is saying now and what Mowbray said the start. All about what happens on the pitch. No fawning for me over what Tomassons says about journeys and projects.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, roverandout said:

No it doesn't . That's mowbray talk. Jdt is a winner.  He'll want success today regardless of the platitudes he comes out with about journeys or projects

I think JDT described this “journey” when he came in as “The project is to make Rovers a sustainable Premier League club”

He never said “I’m here to see if we can maybe challenge to go up”

Went over my head initially because the sheer confidence and ambition when talking about the club was like someone speaking a different language…

But that’s what “the project/journey” is meant to be.

I don’t think JDT plans a long career middling around the Championship.

It’s still a “journey” though. Some in here have just got PTSD regarding the phrase and will seem keen to use it as a brickbat if we lose a couple of games in the next year or so.

D0975729-7656-44FD-8A6B-B7B18488E69B.jpeg

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I think JDT described this “journey” when he came in as “The project is to make Rovers a sustainable Premier League club”

Then said “we need 3 or 4 windows”

He never said “I’m here to see if we can maybe challenge to go up”

Went over my head initially because the sheer confidence and ambition regarding the club was like someone speaking a different language…

But that’s what “the project/journey” is meant to be.

I don’t think JDT plans a long career middling around the Championship.

Hes a breath of fresh air after smelling the pungent odor of mowbroro cigarettes 

• Like 1

On 20/08/2022 at 12:56, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Any game plan around counter attacking relies on pace.  We have none.

We lost Armstrong and Rothwell who both had it and replaced them with er, erm.

We have pace he chooses to not play it though, Markanday looks quick to me and he can't get a kick in the league 

Edited by USABlue

Jon Dahl Tomasson handed two new Blackburn Rovers problems but George Hirst offers a solution - Elliott Jackson - LancsLive

Even the local journos can see the problem with the way the team is set up, especially the huge gaping hole between our defence and midfield that the opposition find easy to exploit. 

JDT needs to wise up or he won't win enough games to see through his 'project'.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Jon Dahl Tomasson handed two new Blackburn Rovers problems but George Hirst offers a solution - Elliott Jackson - LancsLive

Even the local journos can see the problem with the way the team is set up, especially the huge gaping hole between our defence and midfield that the opposition find easy to exploit. 

JDT needs to wise up or he won't win enough games to see through his 'project'.

hopefully he`ll look at the game and the reading,sheff utd and stoke games and see this formation is a recipe for defeats in the extremely competetive championship,jdt comes across as intelligent and proactive so iv`e no doubt he`ll find another team shape that stops the opposition running right through our midfield,it`s not as if bristol city played us off the park,we gave them so much room any decent side in the division would have exploited it

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SoldierMo said:

Looks like he has had enough of joe ranking and has said no room for him

Just more positives about JDT for me.

He quickly saw that Butterworth wasn't up to snuff (didn't even give him a squad number) and after 45 minutes he's seen the same with JRC too (tried to loan him out on deadline day). He clearly knows what it's meant to look like.

Edun next I hope. 

• Like 1

I don't think he has an issue judging players and injuries have left him having to make changes he wouldn't normally do.

However tactically he needs to get to grips with what will work in this league and what won't because from what iv'e seen recently that isn't helping.

Chelsea sack Tuchel. Another manager who had a Project. These guys have a limited shelf life and is why the idea of Tomasson’s Project, like Mowbray’s, is wrong. Results in the here and now are what matter, not projects that may of may not work in a volatile ever changing industry

• Like 3