BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hartlepool Utd (h) - Carabao Cup, 10/8/22

Few observations from my end:

That was an absolute joy to see. Young lads, working hard vs lower league opposition. None of this boring Mowbray esque bullshit about being young lads followed up by a lazy performance we've grown accustomed to.

Dack showing what he's all about. Not seen enough of Szmodics yet, but only one man in the club prior to his arrival makes the run Dack did for his goal. Gallagher and Vale should take notes. 5 seconds of effort in return of a goal. Unlucky not to have one in the first half too on the stretch. Hopefully he gives JDT a real headache as to team selection over the next couple of weeks.

Edun looked good. Maybe that's his level? Although he had another promising cameo against Swansea. Positive.

A. Wharton looks good, just a bit under developed for championship football for me. I'd be looking to bring another CM in and loan him out.

JDT & Remy look like the real deal tactically. That team knew exactly what they had to do and how to do it. And the lads who didn't get on having to do a 45 min training session in front of both at 10pm last night was fantastic. All the lads are currently in 6 days a week (Mondays off) and seem to be buying into it so far.

My only worry is squad depth and how far from behind we have come from this window. Even with a few signings, the demands of the championship will take its toll on this style of football. I'm 'happy' to see this as a season of massive transition, we'll lose some games and drop silly points like any team will. But another 2 windows with JDT and Broughton and next season is looking, at this stage, like a real opportunity to end our exile from the Prem. The foundations are laid and now it's about adding quality. Mowbray added filler players and sat them on the bench for 6 weeks whilst his favourites picked up 5 points to 'learn how we play'. Broughton is signing players better than what we currently have/players who will genuinely push for a starting spot.

Breath of fresh air, all of it.

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Few observations from my end:

That was an absolute joy to see. Young lads, working hard vs lower league opposition. None of this boring Mowbray esque bullshit about being young lads followed up by a lazy performance we've grown accustomed to.

Dack showing what he's all about. Not seen enough of Szmodics yet, but only one man in the club prior to his arrival makes the run Dack did for his goal. Gallagher and Vale should take notes. 5 seconds of effort in return of a goal. Unlucky not to have one in the first half too on the stretch. Hopefully he gives JDT a real headache as to team selection over the next couple of weeks.

Edun looked good. Maybe that's his level? Although he had another promising cameo against Swansea. Positive.

A. Wharton looks good, just a bit under developed for championship football for me. I'd be looking to bring another CM in and loan him out.

JDT & Remy look like the real deal tactically. That team knew exactly what they had to do and how to do it. And the lads who didn't get on having to do a 45 min training session in front of both at 10pm last night was fantastic. All the lads are currently in 6 days a week (Mondays off) and seem to be buying into it so far.

My only worry is squad depth and how far from behind we have come from this window. Even with a few signings, the demands of the championship will take its toll on this style of football. I'm 'happy' to see this as a season of massive transition, we'll lose some games and drop silly points like any team will. But another 2 windows with JDT and Broughton and next season is looking, at this stage, like a real opportunity to end our exile from the Prem. The foundations are laid and now it's about adding quality. Mowbray added filler players and sat them on the bench for 6 weeks whilst his favourites picked up 5 points to 'learn how we play'. Broughton is signing players better than what we currently have/players who will genuinely push for a starting spot.

Breath of fresh air, all of it.

On the bit in bold - the vibe I get from Broughton and JDT is that they are happy to play the kids. They haven't been coming out saying experience is an issue, just overall numbers in the squad.

I think Vale, A Wharton, Phillips (if he stays), maybe also Garrett are going to get serious game time even when we hopefully sign three or so more.

With 5 subs per game now it will be relatively easy to give them 20-30 mins here and there in the Championship, and if they take to water like Travis, S Wharton, Buckley have they will play.

I don't think loaning them out is the right thing personally.

• Like 3

Ash Phillips completed 99 passes with a 97% success rate. I think that might be some sort of club record 😅 So cool, calm & collected. Sign da ting Ashley!

16 minutes ago, JoeH said:

WARNING: You will get distracted from what you should be doing today and watch this about 10 times on repeat.

Lovely stuff, lovely pass from Dack in that build up. The manager has really drilled it into them to try and take one and two touches. If Dolan had returned the pass left to Vale, instead of right, we could have possibly scored a fantastic goal.

We’re not just keeping the ball and passing it around for the sake of it. I’m loving that we can play some nice stuff and also mix it up and defend in numbers when needed. 

The only problem with this is that the games can’t come quick enough; I’m actually looking forward to the matches at the moment! 

Edited by Dan
  • Like 6

After years of witnessing 2-1 defeats to lower league reserve sides, last night was an absolute pleasure to watch. The intensity was brilliant with any lost ball being rectified with a pack like hounding mentality….Markandy in particular was like lightning in these circumstances. I can see what the sponsors were up to by giving Phillips MOTM (and he was very good) but I personally thought Dolan was the strongest performer…not that anyone had a bad game. I know it’s only one match but I feel confident that, if needed, these youngsters can step up to the plate and perform in the league. We will need them at some point but I have a funny feeling everyone in the club is being coached to a much higher standard than under Mowbray. These lads should flourish 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Dan said:

Lovely stuff, lovely pass from Dack in that build up. The manager has really drilled it into them to try and take one and two touches. We’re not just keeping the ball and passing it around for the sake of it. I’m loving that we can play some nice stuff and also mix it up and defend in numbers when needed. 

The only problem with this is that the games can’t come quick enough; I’m actually looking forward to the matches at the moment! 

It’s how Norwich played the year they took the division by storm. No team could live with the speed of their game. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Just a quick update my sister got her hand bag back 😂. Everyone can stop looking.

Now back on topic great win, exactly what the dack and co needed to do. Give the manager a decision to make.

To whom do we give plaudits for a great end to this little story?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

After years of witnessing 2-1 defeats to lower league reserve sides, last night was an absolute pleasure to watch. The intensity was brilliant with any lost ball being rectified with a pack like hounding mentality….Markandy in particular was like lightning in these circumstances. I can see what the sponsors were up to by giving Phillips MOTM (and he was very good) but I personally thought Dolan was the strongest performer…not that anyone had a bad game. I know it’s only one match but I feel confident that, if needed, these youngsters can step up to the plate and perform in the league. We will need them at some point but I have a funny feeling everyone in the club is being coached to a much higher standard than under Mowbray. These lads should flourish 

As each game is played, the more I reflect on what we might have achieved without 4 years of Morbid Mowbray.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

As each game is played, the more I reflect on what we might have achieved without 4 years of Morbid Mowbray.

I think that comment would only be relevant if Tomasson had taken over 5 years ago. 

There is no doubt, Tomasson knew exactly what he was inheriting. 

It would seem the ones who were most vocal in their displeasure with Mowbray, are the ones who just can't let him go. 

• Like 1

Just now, M_B said:

I think that comment would only be relevant if Tomasson had taken over 5 years ago. 

There is no doubt, Tomasson knew exactly what he was inheriting. 

It would seem the ones who were most vocal in their displeasure with Mowbray, are the ones who just can't let him go. 

Bit cryptic for me that. It seems to me that the same players we had last season are fitter, quicker and more up for it There is a buzz about the place we haven't seen for a fair while. The attendance, for example, was 6800. That compares so well with past attendances in the First Round of this competition when we had more like 3000

We had 5 years of Mowbray and you think he shouldn't be mentioned again? I haven't got him out of my system if you have.

I'm like a poster above, next game can't come too soon for me. No need to watch with my hands over my eyes anymore and teeth clenched.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Ash Phillips completed 99 passes with a 97% success rate. I think that might be some sort of club record 😅 So cool, calm & collected. Sign da ting Ashley!

I have seen him play quite a few times and I've never really seen him take risks. If there is nothing on he just goes back to the keeper and start again. It's probably nit picking but I thought he tried to win a couple of headers when he should have held his ground but with good coaching and more games this can be rectified. He can be proud of his performance and his beaming smile on the photo with his family spoke volumes. Surely his advisors, if they are doing the right thing for him should be telling him to sign here. At Spurs he will be back in the under 21's playing against kids who invariably will be no match physically for him.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

but losing against the lower ranked teams was is the point I was making!

I'm not one for sticking up for Mowbray, but in the 20 cup ties he was in charge of we only lost to lower league opposition 3 times.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

Bit cryptic for me that. It seems to me that the same players we had last season are fitter, quicker and more up for it There is a buzz about the place we haven't seen for a fair while. The attendance, for example, was 6800. That compares so well with past attendances in the First Round of this competition when we had more like 3000

We had 5 years of Mowbray and you think he shouldn't be mentioned again? I haven't got him out of my system if you have.

I'm like a poster above, next game can't come too soon for me. No need to watch with my hands over my eyes anymore and teeth clenched.

Wasn't being cryptic at all, I thought it was obvious. 

If you think Tomasson would have been anywhere near the job 5 years ago, with a team in a relegation fight full of overaged, overpaid players, you must be dreaming. 

He's a breath of fresh air, I was there last night and it was a great night. But if you think that this situation would be possible without the spade work done over the last 5 years, then I think you're sadly mistaken. 

Tomasson knew exactly what he was inheriting. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

My favourite from last night - I've saved this thread to savour today! - was that we had A. Wharton and Morton in midfield.

I suppose it would be too much to ask whether either of them came from Scorton?

I'm sure a few years ago in the same squad we had Olsson, Olsson, Henley, Hanley, Hanley, Dunn and Dann.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, M_B said:

If you think Tomasson would have been anywhere near the job 5 years ago, with a team in a relegation fight full of overaged, overpaid players, you must be dreaming. 

He's a breath of fresh air, I was there last night and it was a great night. But if you think that this situation would be possible without the spade work done over the last 5 years, then I think you're sadly mistaken. 

I think, with the passage of time, Mowbray's tenure will eventually be viewed more positively by some of his detractors.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, M_B said:

I think that's fair comment, up to a point. And had we been talking about a 2 or 3 year Mowbray tenure it would have been a very fair comment, but the last two years have been utterly wasted.

However, we have a lot to be positive about as long as folk realise that we won't be winning 3-0 or 4-0 every week.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, M_B said:

5 years of "spadework"? Never getting any nearer?  You've bought into the "journey" bullshit i think!

• Like 2