BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Stoke (h) - Saturday 27th August 3pm

31 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I would absolutely beg to differ on "long before". There were seconds in it on both occasions, both created clear goal scoring situations and their keeper still attempted to save them but failed iirc (I've not seen any replays). A competent referee would see the foul, note the advantage and wave play on, not whistle straight away.

8 time out of 10, we would score at least 1 goal from a performance like that 2nd half. 

Things really aren't as bad as people are making out, I just don't get the desire of so many people to over-criticise. We know this league is full of ups & downs, inconsistent performances. To expect consistency from us at this stage with a young, thin squad under new management is, quite frankly, bonkers.

Agreed. I think the reality is that with so many younger players emerging, and developing at different rates that nobody can realistically know, this will be a season of transition. The "I want success yesterday" brigade will be up in arms at this but we have to understand where we are.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

That was the problem for me, he blew too quickly. At this level it's pretty basic stuff particularly around the penalty area to delay the whistle. The law changed many years ago to allow the referee to bring play back if the perceived advantage doesn't accrue. It's a win/win for the referee but yesterday he just didn't read play and delay his whistle.

Totally agree with the above.

It's about what should have happened.

6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

That was JDT's team. It only became Mowbray's team again when we started losing at match day 4. 🙃

Smart arse reply but the stats don't back it up.

Eight out of the starting eleven were here last year and Phillips was also at the Club but not used due to his age. You could also argue he's only currently in the side through necessity rather than choice due to Mowbray and Waggott failing to tie down Lenihan and relying so heavily last season on a loanee (JPVH)

Only two of the starting line up JDT signings, Szmodics and Morton.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Can’t believe I’m already seeing people question jdt, isn’t hard to see what he’s trying to do but he hasn’t got the team yet, we are patched up fortunately with good academy players but there is plenty of positives, poor first half conceded a stupid goal but great second just lacked a striker to score the goals which is what we need to recruit, only Gallagher and vale are recognised strikers and vale is far from good enough and Gallagher ain’t gonna score for fun so a proper out and out striker is what’s needed and it’s what we haven’t had since graham left no thanks to Mowbray and his false 9 obsession. 

the lad from cov coming in and apparently we are pushing for van hecke so to me I think jdt wants to play a back 3, which fair play to the guy he’s picked the team for the best options available rather than square pegs and round holes like Mowbray did and would do. 

adam Wharton superb 👏 

I am not worried aslong as we get the players in, but I do think we need at least just the cov lad in at centre back, we need a left back as Pickering isn’t up to this system nor this level, even a centre as we have little experience there, Diaz replacement which depends on the system jdt wants to play, if he opts for a back 3 then I hope it’s 532 and a striker 

I hate that when people raise genuine questions whether it be about players out of position, what the style is, where the goals will come from etc, that they are shot down by people who will not allow constructive debate about the manager if it involves and doubts or constructive criticisms.

Is it not hard to see what he is trying to do? In 6 games we have taken the lead in 3 and managed the games really well from there, grinding them out with heart and organisation. In the 3 games that we have conceded in first, in the first 2 we were totally uncompetitive

I think that questioning what the style actually is and whether it is evident at this early stage is valid rather than being shot down as intolerable impatience.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think some managers tactics are boring to watch. In 3 home games I haven't bored and see the team playing to tactical plan whilst yesterday game first half was poor we were miles better second half yesterday and played with more tempo and intensity, closing down, movement, playing in between the lines. If you can't see that second half then I just leave it there. Just look at Hedges performance second half who was very good and shown why he need to start at Blackpool. 

Yes he is good coach and very good with the players who enjoyed his training coaching sessions. Plus the players look more fit yesterday than previous seasons. 

no blocked shot on those stats considering the number of blocked shots we had yesterday 

Rovers will doing a medical today. I wouldn't be surprised if he was at yesterday game watching from a box or something. Keeping a low profile until its a done deal.  

I am bothered about the results but in terms of entertainment factor, there has been very little from the first 6 games. very few chances created, players struggling in positions that they aren't best suited to etc.

I am questioning that I have yet to see the supposed style or even many if any small signs of the supposed style that so many have outlined in detail as to what Tomasson will play.

You mention fitness. Would it not be a worry that Wharton, Gallagher, Brittain, Carter and Hedges have already all missed games due to injuries picked up in training?

• Like 2

"I hate that when people raise genuine questions whether it be about players out of position, what the style is, where the goals will come from etc, that they are shot down by people who will not allow constructive debate about the manager if it involves and doubts or constructive criticisms."

I'm not trying to shut any debate down, but I hate that when people try to see things less bleak than others they're labelled "happy clappers" or Venkys apologists who lap up everything the club says and will always be happy with mid table mediocrity (not necessarily you roversfan).

That 2nd half showed plenty of evidence of what JDT has spoken about; of skill, endeavour, talent, belief, one-touch round the corner passing & lay offs. I've just seen the v brief highlights, the evidence is there for those who care to see it & themselves be constructive, quite apart from the disallowed goals that aren't shown.

We were poor yesterday first half, no doubt. The players' attitude was all wrong. JDT saw it, changed it at HT using young blood mixed with experience, and thereafter we ran the game and on any other afternoon would've got at least 1 goal. 

It's just too early to be saying "I'm beginning to think JDT isn't all that" or that he can talk the talk but not walk the walk. Discussing individual decisions is fine, but judging his overall managerial credentials after 6 games (8 if you count two comprehensive cup wins) is just plain wrong & unfair.

Edit: you can tell my wife is out with the in-laws today, I have free reign to let loose on here!!

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 8

50 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I hate that when people raise genuine questions whether it be about players out of position, what the style is, where the goals will come from etc, that they are shot down by people who will not allow constructive debate about the manager if it involves and doubts or constructive criticisms.

Is it not hard to see what he is trying to do? In 6 games we have taken the lead in 3 and managed the games really well from there, grinding them out with heart and organisation. In the 3 games that we have conceded in first, in the first 2 we were totally uncompetitive

I think that questioning what the style actually is and whether it is evident at this early stage is valid rather than being shot down as intolerable impatience.

I am bothered about the results but in terms of entertainment factor, there has been very little from the first 6 games. very few chances created, players struggling in positions that they aren't best suited to etc.

I am questioning that I have yet to see the supposed style or even many if any small signs of the supposed style that so many have outlined in detail as to what Tomasson will play.

You mention fitness. Would it not be a worry that Wharton, Gallagher, Brittain, Carter and Hedges have already all missed games due to injuries picked up in training?

I was thinking that the other day. Is he training them too hard in an effort to catch up on the lost time before his appointment ? Are we “ leaving it all in the gym “ as they say in boxing ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I hate that when people raise genuine questions whether it be about players out of position, what the style is, where the goals will come from etc, that they are shot down by people who will not allow constructive debate about the manager if it involves and doubts or constructive criticisms.

I'm not trying to shut any debate down, but I hate that when people try to see things less bleak than others they're labelled "happy clappers" or Venkys apologists who lap up everything the club says and will always be happy with mid table mediocrity (not necessarily you roversfan).

That 2nd half showed plenty of evidence of what JDT has spoken about; of skill, endeavour, talent, belief, one-touch round the corner passing & lay offs. I've just seen the v brief highlights, the evidence is there for those who care to see it & themselves be constructive, quite apart from the disallowed goals that aren't shown.

We were poor yesterday first half, no doubt. The players' attitude was all wrong. JDT saw it, changed it at HT using young blood mixed with experience, and thereafter we ran the game and on any other afternoon would've got at least 1 goal. 

It's just too early to be saying "I'm beginning to think JDT isn't all that" or that he can talk the talk but not walk the walk. Discussing individual decisions is fine, but judging his overall managerial credentials after 6 games (8 if you count two comprehensive cup wins) is just plain wrong & unfair.

I would equally agree that making sweeping statements the other way is not helpful either so no arguments there.

Yesterday's game to me had huge parallels to the Derby game last season. The first half saw a side that not only individually had basically everyone off their game, but the whole set up was bizarre, the Bradley Johnson false 9 choice will forever be in folklore and whilst there was nothing that eye catching yesterday, the Dack up front/Szmodics wide right idea made no sense and was coupled with predictable tactics that suited a defender in Aden Flint who is generally poor and very slow but aerially very good.

In the second half, logical drastic changes in personnel and shape were made against teams sitting on a one nil lead with the onus on us to attack, but without that many clear cut chances created.

So often during the off season we heard about how Tomasson likes to play as if it was clear as day. A fluid front 4, interchange, passing, pressing, none of which I have seen much of so far. 

I actually have seen more signs that Tomasson's strengths lie in organisation rather than developing a side whose strengths lie going forward. Against QPR, we saw the game out comfortable and the Swansea game was a very good plan for a smash and grab against a predictable team. 

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would equally agree that making sweeping statements the other way is not helpful either so no arguments there.

Yesterday's game to me had huge parallels to the Derby game last season. The first half saw a side that not only individually had basically everyone off their game, but the whole set up was bizarre, the Bradley Johnson false 9 choice will forever be in folklore and whilst there was nothing that eye catching yesterday, the Dack up front/Szmodics wide right idea made no sense and was coupled with predictable tactics that suited a defender in Aden Flint who is generally poor and very slow but aerially very good.

In the second half, logical drastic changes in personnel and shape were made against teams sitting on a one nil lead with the onus on us to attack, but without that many clear cut chances created.

So often during the off season we heard about how Tomasson likes to play as if it was clear as day. A fluid front 4, interchange, passing, pressing, none of which I have seen much of so far. 

I actually have seen more signs that Tomasson's strengths lie in organisation rather than developing a side whose strengths lie going forward. Against QPR, we saw the game out comfortable and the Swansea game was a very good plan for a smash and grab against a predictable team. 

i don`t think jdt is quite up to speed on the championship,it`s very attritional and no one will let you pass through them or give you a an easy game,he seems an intelligent bloke,no doubt he`ll adjust,we can`t go on like we are doing though,the rest of the division has us sussed out,sit a bit deeper and they`ll give you the ball back through overplaying

4 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

But they don't and lots of other clubs have blocked shots. The simple facts are we are the worst team in the league when it comes to both shots and shots on target. We are also one of only 2 teams that have yet to have a shot from within the 6 yard box. 

JDT needs to improve and quickly. 

We had 18 shots yesterday which 10 shots were blocked so your stats don't show a good reflection on the game. 

2 hours ago, StubbsUK said:

Still? It should be fixed now @chaddyrovers, try refreshing the page.

https://www.brfcs.com/magazine/football/match/880779/blackburn-stoke-city?tab=voting

If it is still borked, DM me a screen grab and I'll take a look 👍

Thanks for that Stubbs. I've been out so missed posting my ratings but if the problem happens again I let you know 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

We have plenty of signs of how JDT wants to play and we seen that second half yesterday as @Atko's Enginehas posted with pressing, movement, one 2 being played, closing down, etc. 

Like I said If you haven't fine but plenty of us have. Its about allow the time and patience for that to develop and bring through properly. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

No, Didn't Wharton pick up his against Hartlepool? 

Do we even know what the injuries was Gallagher and Brittain and could these not been pick up games and just not mention by JDT. 

We look a fitter side yesterday than Stoke espically in the last 15 minutes, So Ben Rosen has prepared them well with his fitness work

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The style will develop game by game week by week. 

Swansea game wasn't about smash and grab but being solid defensive and playing on the counter which we won 3 nil. Hardly a smash and grab was it!

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We had 18 shots yesterday which 10 shots were blocked so your stats don't show a good reflection on the game. 

Thanks for that Stubbs. I've been out so missed posting my ratings but if the problem happens again I let you know 

We have plenty of signs of how JDT wants to play and we seen that second half yesterday as @Atko's Enginehas posted with pressing, movement, one 2 being played, closing down, etc. 

Like I said If you haven't fine but plenty of us have. Its about allow the time and patience for that to develop and bring through properly. 

No, Didn't Wharton pick up his against Hartlepool? 

Do we even know what the injuries was Gallagher and Brittain and could these not been pick up games and just not mention by JDT. 

We look a fitter side yesterday than Stoke espically in the last 15 minutes, So Ben Rosen has prepared them well with his fitness work

The style will develop game by game week by week. 

Swansea game wasn't about smash and grab but being solid defensive and playing on the counter which we won 3 nil. Hardly a smash and grab was it!

I really wish you'd stop shoving the "time and patience" cliche down my throat and indeed the throats of others every time a point is raised. If I had said that Tomasson needs to go, that he will never be able to sort out the attack or anything like that, it would be a valid comeback. But I have not. I am fully aware that it won't be an instant transformation, I am looking for signs of the transformation rather than the full game plan/

I don't think that the second half yesterday necessarily fitted the style mentioned anyway, there was a natural move to a more attacking team with Stoke sat in, but it was very much Hedges right, Brereton left, not THAT much interchange, and more a case of attack v defence rather than a game plan being carried out from the start.

I also don't think that the attacking players have been used correctly either. Gallagher wide right has continued, the make up of Dack up front and Szmodics wide right was bizarre yesterday, these are worries.

You also mention blocked shots but we didn't create many good chances which is the key, half chances maybe but the keeper had very little to do all afternoon. 

Regarding Swansea, against a very predictable team, a clever gameplan was used by Tomasson but yes it was a smash and grab in that we scored basically every chance we got. We sat in and 3 clinical counter attacks were the key, nothing in line with the fluid front4/high pressing/interchange etc that we have heard that he apparently is going to play.

I am guessing that you have absolutely zero doubts, concerns or worries but I have not seen the supposed attacking plan in place that was earmarked in the summer, or even many glimpses of what we are trying to do.

18 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i don`t think jdt is quite up to speed on the championship,it`s very attritional and no one will let you pass through them or give you a an easy game,he seems an intelligent bloke,no doubt he`ll adjust,we can`t go on like we are doing though,the rest of the division has us sussed out,sit a bit deeper and they`ll give you the ball back through overplaying

You say "no doubt he'll adjust" which for me is more of a case of I hope that he will be able to, no way can I have absolute certainty at this stage in that being the case.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I really wish you'd stop shoving the "time and patience" cliche down my throat and indeed the throats of others every time a point is raised. If I had said that Tomasson needs to go, that he will never be able to sort out the attack or anything like that, it would be a valid comeback. But I have not. I am fully aware that it won't be an instant transformation, I am looking for signs of the transformation rather than the full game plan/

I don't think that the second half yesterday necessarily fitted the style mentioned anyway, there was a natural move to a more attacking team with Stoke sat in, but it was very much Hedges right, Brereton left, not THAT much interchange, and more a case of attack v defence rather than a game plan being carried out from the start.

I also don't think that the attacking players have been used correctly either. Gallagher wide right has continued, the make up of Dack up front and Szmodics wide right was bizarre yesterday, these are worries.

You also mention blocked shots but we didn't create many good chances which is the key, half chances maybe but the keeper had very little to do all afternoon. 

Regarding Swansea, against a very predictable team, a clever gameplan was used by Tomasson but yes it was a smash and grab in that we scored basically every chance we got. We sat in and 3 clinical counter attacks were the key, nothing in line with the fluid front4/high pressing/interchange etc that we have heard that he apparently is going to play.

I am guessing that you have absolutely zero doubts, concerns or worries but I have not seen the supposed attacking plan in place that was earmarked in the summer, or even many glimpses of what we are trying to do.

You say "no doubt he'll adjust" which for me is more of a case of I hope that he will be able to, no way can I have absolute certainty at this stage in that being the case.

we`ve only played a handful of games,time to get worried when it`s november and we are still trying the same system that is`nt working

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

we`ve only played a handful of games,time to get worried when it`s november and we are still trying the same system that is`nt working

Definitely very early so they are not major worries but I think that it is justified to question whether we have seen any coherent attacking style or signs of one especially considering how little we have created in the 6 games.

I couldn't possibly say with certainty that it will all come together, as much as it needs more time.

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If you don't like my post then move on and don't read it But I will continue to say that JDT needs time and patience to develop this Rovers team into the team that JDT wants. JDT has always said this project and that is building the team game by game. I don't see what you problem is with that. 

Like I keep saying you disagree fine about second half performance fine but I did and plenty of others have. So why keep going on and on about it? I never have use the word interchange roversfan99 have I in my posts! 

Hedges did keep moving inside and keep popping in the middle and on the left and played very much inside from the right. He almost scored from the left hand side of the box. Did you not see this second half? 

I could understand Szmodics from the right if we had a proper number 9 up front with either Buckley or Dack in the 10 role but not both of them without a number 9/focal point up top. 

We had a few good chances yesterday, Dack first half and Hedges second half were the best chances but Dolan's shot wasn't far off but Stoke threw their bodies on the line to get that is the reason why we seen so many blocked shots yesterday

JDT set the team defensively solid and to hit them on the counter. Very clever game plan which we need to change how we might have played against other teams to win and keep a clean sheet but it wasn't smash and grab. If you think it was smash and grab fine but I don't. So I will leave it there cos we won't agree. 

No I didn't have any doubts, concerns and worries at the minute cos I can see how JDT wants to develop this team and move it on in the future. If you have any doubts, concerns or worries fine but that's your problem not mine. 

Yet again like I have said several times to you if you haven't seen the plan attacking wise in the 8 games so far fine but I and others have. I have address several times now to yourself which it getting very tiresome in repeating my points on it 

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Smart arse reply but the stats don't back it up.

Eight out of the starting eleven were here last year and Phillips was also at the Club but not used due to his age. You could also argue he's only currently in the side through necessity rather than choice due to Mowbray and Waggott failing to tie down Lenihan and relying so heavily last season on a loanee (JPVH)

Only two of the starting line up JDT signings, Szmodics and Morton.

So at what point does it become JDT's team? Not a 'smart arse' question, just curious. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

So at what point does it become JDT's team? Not a 'smart arse' question, just curious. 

Realistically we won't know how we are doing until around November. Then we'll have enough games under our belt to have some sort of balanced view.

It's possible one the defenders come in and we sign a striker things will come together. Or that the early trend of not generating chances and being defensively brittle will continue.

I dont think we can really predict atm.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

They aren't 'my' stats, and they aren't just relating to yesterday. And unless it's blocked by the last man I'm pretty sure it's not classed as a 'shot on target'. 

And I only posted them cos Glen asked the question. I was just surprised when I looked them up and saw we were bottom on all counts. 

Anyway, no goals in three games. I'm sure it's all going to plan🤔

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Some Burnley fans were in meltdown up till a week ago. Look at what a couple of signings has done for them.

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

They aren't 'my' stats, and they aren't just relating to yesterday. And unless it's blocked by the last man I'm pretty sure it's not classed as a 'shot on target'. 

And I only posted them cos Glen asked the question. I was just surprised when I looked them up and saw we were bottom on all counts. 

Are you deliberately overlooking the injury list, players leaving, lack of transfer activity and the fact he's been here for just 2 1/2 months?

Let's not forget that the previous manager had 18 months of being goalscorer-phobic and it's easy to see why we're struggling for goals.

We've been struggling for goals since January.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, booth said:

Are you deliberately overlooking the injury list, players leaving, lack of transfer activity and the fact he's been here for just 2 1/2 months?

Let's not forget that the previous manager had 18 months of being goalscorer-phobic and it's easy to see why we're struggling for goals.

We've been struggling for goals since January.

The top line applies to Appleton at B/pool. He's doing ok. I just think a lot of excuses are being made for the new manager. That's fine, but there comes a time when he has to take responsibility.

Re the last line - surely that was the point of replacing the failing manager? 

I'm not expecting miracles overnight, but I also thought there would be some semblance of a plan to score against the opposition. I was just expecting better, that's all. 

JDT is unproven. We'll see how he goes. But after the initial excitement and euphoria (I was guilty of it too) reality is beginning to dawn. 

And as Jurgen Klopp said the other day when interviewed, he felt less pressure when he came to England because everyone was telling him it wasn't his team. He said it was his team the day he walked in the door. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

The top line applies to Appleton at B/pool. He's doing ok. I just think a lot of excuses are being made for the new manager. That's fine, but there comes a time when he has to take responsibility.

Re the last line - surely that was the point of replacing the failing manager? 

I'm not expecting miracles overnight, but I also thought there would be some semblance of a plan to score against the opposition. I was just expecting better, that's all. 

JDT is unproven. We'll see how he goes. But after the initial excitement and euphoria (I was guilty of it too) reality is beginning to dawn. 

And as Jurgen Klopp said the other day when interviewed, he felt less pressure when he came to England because everyone was telling him it wasn't his team. He said it was his team the day he walked in the door. 

Out of interest, were you around when Howard Kendall won one of his first ten after being appointed? Before leading us to promotion and then very nearly a consecutive promotion.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

So the stats should include block shots then? to give a proper refection on games

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Here JDT said yesterday " We're working for the future. The future's not tomorrow, it's not today. We're working hard to see the team work in the way I want to play football"