BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Stoke (h) - Saturday 27th August 3pm

After seeing him now for long enough iv'e drawn the conclusion Buckley is a luxury player who sometimes fancies it but too often doesn't.

Many many examples of that last season there's a touch of billy big balls about him that he has nowhere near earned. He's just another young player who is inconsistent and still developing.

So he should be treat as such and dropped if he doesn't graft.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Every team has blocked shots. 

There's also no evidence YET that JDT is a good head coach. 

So those stats should including them. 

On the second point that's your opinion whilst my opinion is very different and very clear

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

Don’t forget to add your Player Ratings in the Match Centre before 3pm today…there was a technical issue but that has now been fixed…

84FF304F-5812-4D59-A567-3FD653895285.png

A724899C-51C9-4FE7-8EE3-83A7755BE1AB.png

5E599642-CDB7-4570-B78B-004F12AA3806.png

no ratings available for me to give them

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

You can't because the 8.3 is shots per game, not shots per goal. 

But here's another stat that indicates that we should've got something out of yesterday,  despite many opinions to the contrary & such a poor first half. And that doesn't count the goals ruled out. So my eyes didn't deceive me... things really aren't as bad as is being made out by many!

Screenshot_20220828-102727_Chrome.jpg

Think it’s been said by plenty others but yet again the tactics and game-plan cost us in this one. That’s three in a row.

You can argue we don’t have quality players but its no excuse for the lack of passing and movement in the first half. Once again the distance between the defence, midfield and attack was massive meaning all they did was go backwards into trouble. 
It’s also no excuse for the lack of effort and aggression shown by the players in the first half. Stoke just wanted it more whilst most our team went into hiding.

The first half was basically Stoke vs. Daniel Ayala.

Really worried about the start to the season we look clueless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

So those stats should including them. 

But they don't and lots of other clubs have blocked shots. The simple facts are we are the worst team in the league when it comes to both shots and shots on target. We are also one of only 2 teams that have yet to have a shot from within the 6 yard box. 

JDT needs to improve and quickly. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

But here's another stat that indicates that we should've got something out of yesterday,  despite many opinions to the contrary & such a poor first half. And that doesn't count the goals ruled out. So my eyes didn't deceive me... things really aren't as bad as is being made out by many!

Screenshot_20220828-102727_Chrome.jpg

We haven't scored in 3 games and we've the worst attacking stats in the league. 

Not sure what XG tells you that gives you comfort, but we all need something to hold on to!

Early days, and hopefully things change quickly for the better. 

Tell you what we could really do with someone as a free kick taker. When we get a free kick in a decent position (like we did 3/4 times yesterday) we’ve got no-one who you’d think has a chance of scoring 

Edited by Crozzy

That's 2 and 1/2 poor performances in the last 3 league games. Worrying. We look blunt and unimaginative. Something needs to happen to get a reaction. 

Adam Wharton was a real silver lining though. Wonderful passing and wasn't afraid to get involved. He should be starting the next game based on that performance along with his league Cup efforts. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Yes we need defenders. We simply won't last the season with what we have.

However, in the games up to now the problem has been our midfield. Absolutely anonymous. AWOL. In hiding. Awful. Bullied every game. No control of the football. No link up play between defence and attack.

Now I haven't quite put my finger on exactly why.

I think its how they are being asked to play, combined with missing some proper experience in there.

If it doesn't change we are in for a long season down the bottom.

and when we don’t have control of midfield, we don’t have the option of bypassing the midfield with an early ball to a front man capable of holding the ball until others can support him.

Edited by den
  • Like 1

I think Travis cracker of a goal in the opening game bought him a lot of praise(and rightly so) but aside from his energy levels he seems pretty average at best to me in all other areas. Buckley is like Rothwell in that he only performs when he feels like it, more often than not he just seems to be there to fill out the shirt. 

Heart of our midfield is unreliable and lacking in quality "imo"  (both defensively and offensively!) 

And pickering is just out of his depth sadly and the oppo all know it now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crozzy said:

Tell you what we could really do with someone as a free kick taker. When we get a free kick in a decent position (like we did 3/4 times yesterday) we’ve got no-one who you’d think has a chance of scoring 

What I found strange, was at both second half free kicks, on the edge of the box, the ref only took eight steps to position the wall. I thought it was meant to be ten.

I thought our first half performance was unacceptable, the second half was just about acceptable on an effort level, but still very little quality.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Expected goals!

Bollocks.

Wake me up when the ball is in the back of the net.

It was, twice, from open play, after good one touch football opened up a tight defence, but in his infinite wisdom the ref disallowed them due to 2 fouls on us about 3 seconds before the ball crossed the line. We'd be top if the ref had half a clue about how to do his job and had let the play go.

That doesn't excuse an abject 1st half showing, which was not down to tactics IMO opinion but a combination of a thin squad & poor individual performances from Buckley & JRC in particular; we were effectively playing with 9 men, and others made poor on the ball decisions.

If stats don't matter, why do football coaches & management teams have so much invested in analytics?  I get they can be analysed to the nth degree to the point of becoming meaningless, but I do think certain stats can be telling, xg amongst them.

3 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

After the second half performance & getting a clear cut penalty decison turned down yes we could of easily gone on to win the game… We battered them second half.

Let’s not escape the fact that you’re saying we deserved nothing from the game. Your purely basing this on because we’ve played poorly in just 45 minutes of a 90 minute game? & I’d say your basing it on 2 previous poor performances…Your in the minority here pal. 

After that second half performance, rovers didn’t deserve to loose. We should of walked away with at least a point.

I think we can summarise this long winded debate as follows:

We probably deserved a point on the strength of our second half performance but didn't deserve three points as you can't play one half like we did yesterday and hope to get away with it. 

And maybe deserving a point isn't good enough at home.

As a side note it's nonsense to say we had goals ruled out yesterday. The referee blew long before the ball ended up in the net on each occasion.

• Like 2

The stats on shots don't lie and one real frustration this season has been the number of opportunities to shoot that haven't been taken. I have seen lots of times outside the box when shots should have gone in but we opted for another pass. Yesterday this was in evidence particularly in the second half from open play and second balls from set plays. Brereton cut inside on his right foot several times and to play somebody in rather than shooting. It's ironic when you consider 50% of our league goals have come from outside the box.

20 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

As a side note it's nonsense to say we had goals ruled out yesterday. The referee blew long before the ball ended up in the net on each occasion.

I would absolutely beg to differ on "long before". There were seconds in it on both occasions, both created clear goal scoring situations and their keeper still attempted to save them but failed iirc (I've not seen any replays). A competent referee would see the foul, note the advantage and wave play on, not whistle straight away.

8 time out of 10, we would score at least 1 goal from a performance like that 2nd half. 

Things really aren't as bad as people are making out, I just don't get the desire of so many people to over-criticise. We know this league is full of ups & downs, inconsistent performances. To expect consistency from us at this stage with a young, thin squad under new management is, quite frankly, bonkers.

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

It was, twice, from open play, after good one touch football opened up a tight defence, but in his infinite wisdom the ref disallowed them due to 2 fouls on us about 3 seconds before the ball crossed the line. We'd be top if the ref had half a clue about how to do his job and had let the play go.

That doesn't excuse an abject 1st half showing, which was not down to tactics IMO opinion but a combination of a thin squad & poor individual performances from Buckley & JRC in particular; we were effectively playing with 9 men, and others made poor on the ball decisions.

If stats don't matter, why do football coaches & management teams have so much invested in analytics?  I get they can be analysed to the nth degree to the point of becoming meaningless, but I do think certain stats can be telling, xg amongst them.

The Ref blew the whistle immediately those fouls happened, the defenders stopped playing, both scored against no challenges in an open goal

3 seconds is a long time in football and play to the whistle which our lot also heard.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I would absolutely beg to differ on "long before". There were seconds in it on both occasions, both created clear goal scoring situations and their keeper still attempted to save them but failed iirc (I've not seen any replays). A competent referee would see the foul, note the advantage and wave play on, not whistle straight away.

8 time out of 10, we would score at least 1 goal from a performance like that 2nd half. 

Things really aren't as bad as people are making out, I just don't get the desire of so many people to over-criticise. We know this league is full of ups & downs, inconsistent performances. To expect consistency from us at this stage with a young, thin squad under new management is, quite frankly, bonkers.

The whistle went and the Stoke players stopped. They were both one of those sort of  occasions when a player gets flagged when running through but carries on anyway and ends up putting the ball into a virtually unguarded net because everyone else has stopped.

I agree the second half in general yesterday gave cause for encouragement, possibly the best we've played under JDT. I certainly don't blame him for our woes, he was left a pile of shite to contend with by Waggott and Mowbray, and, needing considerable support from Waggott and Broughton has had practically none.

11 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The Ref blew the whistle immediately those fouls happened, the defenders stopped playing, both scored against no challenges in an open goal

3 seconds is a long time in football and play to the whistle which our lot also heard.

That was the problem for me, he blew too quickly. At this level it's pretty basic stuff particularly around the penalty area to delay the whistle. The law changed many years ago to allow the referee to bring play back if the perceived advantage doesn't accrue. It's a win/win for the referee but yesterday he just didn't read play and delay his whistle.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The whistle went and the Stoke players stopped. They were both one of those sort of  occasions when a player gets flagged when running through but carries on anyway and ends up putting the ball into a virtually unguarded net because everyone else has stopped.

I agree the second half in general yesterday gave cause for encouragement, possibly the best we've played under JDT. I certainly don't blame him for our woes, he was left a pile of shite to contend with by Waggott and Mowbray, and, needing considerable support from Waggott and Broughton has had practically none.

That pile of shit that Mowbray left behind won the first 3 league games of the season.

• Like 2