v Millwall (h) 01/10/2022

On 20/09/2022 at 08:08, chaddyrovers said:

Kaminski 

Brittain Hyam Wharton Pickering 

Travis Buckley 

Hedges      Szmodics  Brereton-Diaz

Hirst

Subs:- Pears, Ayala, Mola, Adam Wharton, Dolan, Gallagher, Dack

I would still start this game with this team and given Mola will be under 21's so I would put Morton on the bench instead

Going for 2 nil win with Hirst and Brereton Diaz scoring

Edited by chaddyrovers

The back 5/6 picks itself, depending on whether Tomasson goes with a back 4 or 5.

Hedges, Travis and Brereton play, meaning there will be a lot of players left unhappy at not making the team. 

You're doing well if you make the bench on Saturday.. 

We need 3 points, just to keep the scoreboard ticking over nicely, allowing Tomasson the breathing space to do what he wants without the table putting any undue pressure on. 

Seems like absolutely frigging ages since we played, I've never looked forward to playing Millwall so much in my life!

Under TM we seemed to have a dreadful record following the international breaks, I do wonder what he had them doing though, I'd like to think JDT is a bit more imaginative.

Highly doubt we're in for a spectacle I'm afraid. Dingle fan was telling me how they just turned up to defend and frustrate there, which we already would expect tbh.

The key is quite simply to score first here, I mean we're not great when we concede first anyway this season but against a team like Millwall it's imperative.

2-0 home win

Diaz penalty on 16 minutes and Dolan 78.

• Like 2

Oops, sorry @tomphil; my erm 'joke' fell flat when I saw your actual prediction!🤔 That's what can happen when there seems to have been a close season, what with the Queen’s passing and the international break. It'll be good to have another six weeks of concentrated League football before the World Cup.

I fear a fairly dour game with us winning 1-0.

• Like 1

I am going tomorrow, can't wait.  Reckon we should go 352 and aim to dominate the midfield. As Dack tires get A Wharton on second half. No point going 343, cede the midfield, and then not be able to use the wide players anyway.

Kaminski

Carter    Hyam    Wharton

Brittain        Travis         Buckley     Pickering

Dack

Hedges         Brereton

Subs :   Pears, Ayala, Mola, A Wharton, Edun, Gallagher, Dolan

Quite a few attacking players don't even make squad... Hirst, Markanday, Szmodics, Vale... we are top heavy in the squad imo. Could do with having one less of there and another experienced defender or midfielder. 

Edited by joey_big_nose

I love Travis' character and it is great to have someone like him as a captain.

That being said...our midfield is not up to par. Travis, Morton, Buckley...none of them are good enough at this level. The way we were ragdolled by Luton was beneath anything acceptable. I don't want to fault the effort, but there isn't really any getting back from such a humbling. I would be embarrassed and angry at myself if I was so helplessly bullied on the field. January our priority must be fighters and tacklers - because we will face a lot tougher teams than Luton if were to ever progress. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr. E said:

I love Travis' character and it is great to have someone like him as a captain.

That being said...our midfield is not up to par. Travis, Morton, Buckley...none of them are good enough at this level. The way we were ragdolled by Luton was beneath anything acceptable. I don't want to fault the effort, but there isn't really any getting back from such a humbling. I would be embarrassed and angry at myself if I was so helplessly bullied on the field. January our priority must be fighters and tacklers - because we will face a lot tougher teams than Luton if were to ever progress. 

it was`nt so much the players at luton but the manager at fault,it was blindingly obvious that luton were going to raise the tempo in the second half and he should have made them aware of it,he should have put another midfielder on as well,we were pretty much run through,a la sheff utd,not sure jdt is yet up to speed on the league,he still thinks he`s in sweden and not in a competition where teams give you nothing,that said,i would have taken 7th place after 10 games so it`s not all bad,the january transfer window is mega important,it will shape our league position for the next two seasons imo

I hope Diaz is back to his best, looked kike he might have had one eye on Chile last game.  These breaks stink, this whole World Cup mid season thing stinks too.  Not sure this is going to be a proper season, players will be distracted by the upcoming event.  Even after I thinkn t will take some time to get into the daily grind again.

What a cluster f by FIFA.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, USABlue said:

I hope Diaz is back to his best, looked kike he might have had one eye on Chile last game.  These breaks stink, this whole World Cup mid season thing stinks too.  Not sure this is going to be a proper season, players will be distracted by the upcoming event.  Even after I thinkn t will take some time to get into the daily grind again.

What a cluster f by FIFA.

And soon after the WC it's into the uncertainty of the January transfer window. 

6 hours ago, rigger said:

Absolutely pissing down here, is there any danger of the game being off ?

I doubt it. Looks like a few showers today but sunny from 2pm onwards.

That said, I thought the last Millwall home game wouldn't get postponed too and look what happened 😳 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I would like to see Kaminski kick the ball upfield more rather than roll it out to a defender. We have some tall lads in the team these days.

Millwall are likely to have Jake Cooper and Charlie Cresswell at centre half and they are bigger and more powerful than anything we have. In my view we have to play quickly through midfield and get our forwards running in behind and down the sides. Rowett is one of the more tactically astute managers in the league and will undoubtedly set his team up to let us have the ball in our half and press to deny us space when we get over the half way line. This is how teams have played in our five defeats so far so I expect Millwall to do the same. As ever scoring first will be key as this will cause Rowett to change his set up and tactics.