BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (a) 04/10/2022

48 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

What I am finding difficult is that at the end of the game I was just relieved that it was over and that we only lost by 1.

With my thoughts in turmoil I didn't get to sleep much before 6 am local time and I'll be up doing the same when we play Wigan .... Madness.

Thanks to Blackpool and certainly not us we are still above Sunderland but I expect us to be out of the top 6 later today, passed by Watford and maybe even the mighty Wigan.

I’m telling you now Wigan will shock a few teams this season. Look like a well oiled team. Will certainly batter us if we play like we play. 

• Like 3

So .... Hirst was our lead penalty taker at the time we got one v Cardiff.

In his entire playing career to date and going back to the 2016/7 he has scored 10 penalties.

3 for England youth, 4 in PL2, 2 in the EFL trophy and ONE in senior football last season for Pompey in L1. That's a 1 in senior football.

So it can only be based on what's been seen in training and not in the last minute of a Championship match with a draw at stake.

And Rovers employ analysts. FFS.

He's missed 3, maybe now 4 with last night's.

I could do a career analysis and the impact of family, friends and close club connections on a football career from the cradle but I just can't be f-ing bothered.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Twelve games in an it appears Tomasson doesn't get know our best formation or tactics to get the best out of this group of players. I think most people know the definition of lunacy - well we saw it time and time again last night as our players clearly aren't good enough to play out from the back. Too slow, too many touches and poor control of the ball are the main reasons. We struggled to get over the half way line playing this way So why, why, why keep trying it?

The jury is still out for me after the good start we made, by the way playing a different style than we are seeing now.

Where is the high press high intensity the head coach has papped on about since he walked through the door ?

You can count the times we have seen that on one hand and it has usually been against the better sides who sit off a bit and allow it.  The way he sets up and the style he is implementing is anything but high intensity high press so either hes given up on that already or he doesn't know how to do it really.

• Like 4

Terrible performance, Cardiff should have won it by a bigger margin. Every time we got the ball we gave it away, it was a wet surface but it didn't seem to trouble Cardiff. Gallagher was unlucky not to make 1-1, the defender put him off at the last gasp. We haven't learnt from last season on penalty takers, i remember Dack being given a penalty, he hadn't been on the pitch long and just back from injury tame shot easy save. Last night Hirst who's played 1 game all season fluffed it with an easy save for the keeper.

Hirst sauntering up to take that penalty and then missing after that round terrible performance still has me angry and annoyed, even after a night's sleep. I have no idea why we brought him in, we barely do crosses into the box as it is and he's s**i with the ball at his feet. Would be glad to never see him or Gallagher in a Rovers shirt again. 

Ayala and Hyam are both very good at this level though (just don't make Ayala play the ball out from the back), and Hedges was our only attacking player who looked even slightly dangerous at times, with the possible exception of Dack. It seems more and more likely that he'll move on in the January window, and I get that he probably can't press the way Tomasson wants him to, but even when the rest of the team is outplayed and lacks cohesion he's still good for creating chances and scoring goals. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, garnersfags said:

This makes it even worse. If Hirst is higher up the list than Dack, then I give up. 

I repeat, who on here, or anywhere in the footballing world would think Hirst would be more likely to score that penalty than Dack. The answer is very, very, very few. 

Most of us thought he would miss. 

It's a simple game. 

The only explanation I can come up with is that he "stole" the penalty, and Tomasson was protecting him afterwards rather than shaming him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Commondore said:

The only explanation I can come up with is that he "stole" the penalty, and Tomasson was protecting him afterwards rather than shaming him. 

What’s the captain doing to prevent that situation ? Your job as captain is to ensue whatever orders that have been given prior to KO are adhered to.

Just now, tonyoz said:

And another thing. We keep presenting poor/mediocre teams with their best (or close to) performance of the season. The opposition fans love it.

Like I said Tony, we’re really easy to play against. We were like that when Hughes came in, and Big Sam for that matter. The first thing they did was make us hard to play against. The expansive football can come later.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The bottom line is we’re too easy to play against. Until that changes expect more repeats of last nights results.

Yep, I keep seeing that we want to press but if you want to make us roll over all you have to do is let us have the ball. We create way more chances for the opposition than for ourselves messing around at the back.

I dread to think of the carnage at the dingles if Kompany does his homework.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

I get the feeling tonight was Buckley's chance and he blew it. Didn't move the ball quick enough and under hit a lot of passes which seems to be a trait of his at the minute. He also doesn't play with enough intensity, which is probably the main frustration. Ultimately way off what Tomasson is looking for. I think he'll be out the team for a while now and worked on outside of the starting 11 which should mean Adam Wharton gets another chance. That is certainly what should happen.

On Buckley, I was keen on his move to cm before the season started but he hasn't looked comfortable there thus far. 

I would consider him and dack for the 10 slot. Then bring back a.wharton to challenge morton for the other cm slot. 

Szmodics I'd bin off completely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

Yep, I keep seeing that we want to press but if you want to make us roll over all you have to do is let us have the ball. We create way more chances for the opposition than for ourselves messing around at the back.

I dread to think of the carnage at the dingles if Kompany does his homework.

I things don’t pick up between now and then and the worst happens at the dingledome it could be taxi for Tomasson. He needs to wake up and smell the roses, he’s not here for a holiday..

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

So .... Hirst was our lead penalty taker at the time we got one v Cardiff.

In his entire playing career to date and going back to the 2016/7 he has scored 10 penalties.

3 for England youth, 4 in PL2, 2 in the EFL trophy and ONE in senior football last season for Pompey in L1. That's a 1 in senior football.

So it can only be based on what's been seen in training and not in the last minute of a Championship match with a draw at stake.

And Rovers employ analysts. FFS.

He's missed 3, maybe now 4 with last night's.

I could do a career analysis and the impact of family, friends and close club connections on a football career from the cradle but I just can't be f-ing bothered.

Nobody else on that list has a much better record... Think Dack has missed 3 of 8 in his career, Gallagher has never taken one, neither has Hedges. One of our biggest failings is STILL not replacing Mulgrew's dead ball ability.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Nobody else on that list has a much better record... Think Dack has missed 3 of 8 in his career, Gallagher has never taken one, neither has Hedges. One of our biggest failings is STILL not replacing Mulgrew's dead ball ability.

TBH Hirst is a striker so it would be disappointing if he didn't fancy the job.

Its a thankless task.

My hope is that the experience and knowledge that JDT must have for that position can be passed on to Hirst, all 6+ of him. Hirst is 24 next February with almost 100 games at senior level but despite his height looks, to me anyway, a bit fragile. I do hope he develops well.

6 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

It really irritates me when strikers don’t have the balls to take a penalty. Sam Gallagher is a perfect example - 27 years old and yet to take a senior penalty. Jesus wept.

• Like 5

My guess is that Buckley is struggling with Tomasson's two touch style. He's always been an instinctive player who likes to take his time on the ball. Admittedly, he's never consistently performed but at times he has shown a lot of ability and seemed on the verge of cementing his CM role. Again, just my guess, but this may have contributed to a drop in confidence. Without him performing, we are nowhere near the same team. I feel that it should be one of the manager's priority to try to get him performing again.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

It really irritates me when strikers don’t have the balls to take a penalty. Sam Gallagher is a perfect example - 27 years old and yet to take a senior penalty. Jesus wept.

You had to watch the strikers I played with. They’d be fighting over who had the ball !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

So this is my understanding, JDT has the mandate to create a 'sustainable' premiership side. He's interpreted 'sustainable' as being able to keep possession and not launch long balls up field otherwise we get relegated.

This season has been written off as a play and learn season ready for the promotion assault next year, presumably with a few new key signings to help out (Broughton's part).

Survive this year somewhere in the top half, engrain the approach into the kids, have a go next season.

I see the point but not sure I like it.  Getting ready is one thing but asking the fans to endure that dross every week is not on.

Re the match ... why did Dack walk away from the penalty? Why were two other pens nor given? Why do we keep giving the ball away. Are we not concerned that teams see us fannying about with the ball in our box and play the intense high press. Who wants to watch that every week.

Strike a balance somewhere please JDT, building for the future is fine but in the intetim we need to be entertained and excited about what's to come.

Right now I dread the next match.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You had to watch the strikers I played with. They’d be fighting over had the ball !

Yes, and I always won. As a striker you always want to add to your goal tally and taking a penalty is the perfect opportunity. As a young player I'd bow to the older players in the team but by the time you're mid 20s you want to take the responsibility. That's why the likes of Gallagher, Dack, etc should be taking penalties and I don't understand why they aren't putting their hands up 

Edited by jim mk2

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Where is the high press high intensity the head coach has papped on about since he walked through the door ?

It's the other way round now. Opposition managers realise if they press us high up the pitch we'll crumble and let in goals. It's happening regularly now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, riverholmes said:

My guess is that Buckley is struggling with Tomasson's two touch style. He's always been an instinctive player who likes to take his time on the ball. Admittedly, he's never consistently performed but at times he has shown a lot of ability and seemed on the verge of cementing his CM role. Again, just my guess, but this may have contributed to a drop in confidence. Without him performing, we are nowhere near the same team.

It’s like he went away on holiday in summer and his twin brother came back in his place. 

To try and lighten the mood this morning. A story about my Rugby League team. The directors had gone scouting a rugby union player in deepest Gloucestershire after the last war. As was things in those days it was all cloak and dagger, rugby league directors were poison to union officials. The centre they were scouting had a great game and the directors decided to sign him. They spotted the guy come into the club house after the game for a pint and took him to one side. “ Would you like to sign a contract with us and play professional rugby ?” They asked him.

The guy said “ I’d love to sign for you gentlemen but what about this ? “  With that he lifted his trousers bottoms slightly to reveal an artificial leg ! He’d been wounded in the war and he was the twin brother of the lad they had been scouting.

• Like 2