BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (a) 04/10/2022

9 minutes ago, A Northern Horde... said:

So inconsistent,a boring mid table finish looking on the cards along with the hope of beating the sister humpers at the cobbled end of the M65.

That's  our lot.

You are being very hopeful with a mid table finish ...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Could anyone on here unhappy with the criticism, please give their honest opinion on our lack of ability to retain possession all season? 

I thought we played well for 90 minutes against Watford, but that was because they had a manager(now sacked) who was trying to make a decent team play in a way that was totally unsuited to the players abilities. Sound familiar?

In most of the other games, we have been unable to pass the ball, and play with any quality or freedom. 

BBD, and our central defenders have done their thing in a few games, which has papered over the cracks, but JDT is, so far, unable to help us adopt a style which would help us to retain possession.

We are nervous with the ball at our feet, in every area of the pitch. 

What are the cheerleaders seeing that the rest of us aren't, that is giving you hope or cause for optimism?

I'd argue we played our best football at Blackpool and should have been out of sight, the Swansea win was a win well executed. 

It's a strange situation, we don't look cohesive by any stretch, yet a really poor team doesn't fluke 6 out of 12.

I'm just waiting for us to click, but we don't, yet we keep winning every other game. There's something there, but I just don't know what it is. 

Hope this helps 😅

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

I said at the start of the season we would come in around 12th, if we are higher than that I'll be pleased.

My view based on today and what I have seen so far is:

1.  We are massively punching given the players and experience we have.

2.  We had an average transfer window not good like many seem to think.  Hyam, Brittain, Morton = ticks in the boxes, although Brittain Amber to green.  Smodic, Hirst, Mola all have lots to prove and so far we have to say not good enough to impact the team.

3.  We desperately need / needed a striker who has strength and pace and CM who can put his foot on the ball.  Experienced championship level players not L1 players.

4.  The only formation that has worked for us in the last two seasons is with 3 x CB's.. if that's the case we need proper back ups for Pickering and Brittain not makeshift players, the wing backs are key roles with 3 x CB at the back.

I have yet to see any other formation work for us.

5.  Often we have been over run in CM, JDT needs to have 3 x CM's if that's the case, because it never gets to the attackers so pointless having the 4 may as well have 3...

6.  The biggest concern I have is we seem to have a soft under belly.. I have yet to see warrior come backs or even attempts under JDT and I can't help feeling this is a reflection of our manager.

I'm hoping we turn the corner but honestly expecting anything other than a mid table final standing with the players we have lost and what we have seen so far is just asking for trouble.. 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, M_B said:

I'd argue we played our best football at Blackpool and should have been out of sight, the Swansea win was a win well executed. 

It's a strange situation, we don't look cohesive by any stretch, yet a really poor team doesn't fluke 6 out of 12.

I'm just waiting for us to click, but we don't, yet we keep winning every other game. There's something there, but I just don't know what it is. 

Hope this helps 😅

All good points.

I just keep coming back to our inability to keep the ball long enough to set up any type of attack. Especially away from home. 

Our main issue has been putting in 2 good performances in a row, which for me, seems to mean JDT doesn't know his best 11 on any given matchday.

I find it really hard to watch.

Edited by garnersfags
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Add that to the very, very long list of games we’ve lost after going behind. That tells me all I need to know. I said I wasn’t happy with the line up before KO and I’m even less happy now ! Watch it all change again on Saturday. Tomasson is skating on very thin ice for me. If he can’t see the “ play it around at the back until we lose it “ style gets team relegated he’s nothing like as smart as he thinks he is. Get a style of play that suits the players,  don’t try and do it the other way around. That’s what smart managers do.

JDT has to make a judgement. 

Is this group of players capable of playing in his desired way?  If he does, how long can he persist with performances like tonight’s without risking things going from bad to worse? I’m sure he believes that the way he’s trying to mould the team is the right way and will stick with it.

I would just say that all footballing sides simply have to learn not to overplay.

Added to the fact he isn’t picking his best team. That can come though.

All in all, he’s a long way off yet.

Edited by den
  • Like 2

I get the feeling tonight was Buckley's chance and he blew it. Didn't move the ball quick enough and under hit a lot of passes which seems to be a trait of his at the minute. He also doesn't play with enough intensity, which is probably the main frustration. Ultimately way off what Tomasson is looking for. I think he'll be out the team for a while now and worked on outside of the starting 11 which should mean Adam Wharton gets another chance. That is certainly what should happen.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

All good points.

I just keep coming back to our inability to keep the ball long enough to set up any type of attack. Especially away from home. 

Our main issue has been putting in 2 good performances in a row, which for me, seems to mean JDT doesn't know his best 11 on any given matchday.

I find it really hard to watch.

It is hard to watch, I'm sure they're colour blind at times. Just pass to one of ours, how hard can it be? 

It's same again Saturday, we need a win to maintain the breathing space, giving Tomasson time to get over his plan to the players, whatever it is.

It would be nice if it came to fruition sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Currently on course for 69 points which will have us around 8th or 9th.

Only if you extrapolate from our current points total. I think winning the first 3 games is probably giving a false pictue. I can't see us winning 3 on the bounce again any time soon.

Since those 3 games we have 9 points from 9 games. Carry on at the current rate of points accumulation will get us 52 in total. I think that is more likely than 69.

We've lost 6 of the last 9 and we look a poor team

• Like 4

I feel for Dack.. should have been given that goal. Could have kickstarted his season.

On another day could easily of had another pen (on gally) and a very undeserved 2-1 win. But Cardiff were poorer imo.

The passing triangles were horrendous, barely looked like breaking them down. Think the manager needs longer with the team before we get consistency, he's a long way off atm.

3 hours ago, M_B said:

It is hard to watch, I'm sure they're colour blind at times. Just pass to one of ours, how hard can it be? 

It's same again Saturday, we need a win to maintain the breathing space, giving Tomasson time to get over his plan to the players, whatever it is.

It would be nice if it came to fruition sooner rather than later. 

When you struggle to connect passes you should NOT try and play in your own 18!  We gave the ball away time and time again in very dangerous positions 

• Like 1

Twelve games in an it appears Tomasson doesn't get know our best formation or tactics to get the best out of this group of players. I think most people know the definition of lunacy - well we saw it time and time again last night as our players clearly aren't good enough to play out from the back. Too slow, too many touches and poor control of the ball are the main reasons. We struggled to get over the half way line playing this way So why, why, why keep trying it?

The jury is still out for me after the good start we made, by the way playing a different style than we are seeing now.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Twelve games in an it appears Tomasson doesn't get know our best formation or tactics to get the best out of this group of players. I think most people know the definition of lunacy - well we saw it time and time again last night as our players clearly aren't good enough to play out from the back. Too slow, too many touches and poor control of the ball are the main reasons. We struggled to get over the half way line playing this way So why, why, why keep trying it?

The jury is still out for me after the good start we made, by the way playing a different style than we are seeing now.

Totally agree, plus our style and almost total lack of creativity makes players like Diaz redundant. The ball is just not getting to them enough times.

Our midfield was pathetic too.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

‘It’s a project’. All managers say something on those lines. It’s JDT’s version of ‘it’s a journey’. It isn’t a defence/an explanation of anything in itself.

Its a little bit better than just saying -whatever it is we're up to.

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Totally agree, plus our style and almost total lack of creativity makes players like Diaz redundant. The ball is just not getting to them enough times.

Our midfield was pathetic too.

On current form Travis should be left out. One of our best performances was with Adam Wharton and Tyler Morton in midfield. They got on the ball, played on the half turn and passed through the lines. Travis slows us down, takes too many touches, is ponderous in possession and concedes far to many silly free kicks.

• Like 6

What I am finding difficult is that at the end of the game I was just relieved that it was over and that we only lost by 1.

With my thoughts in turmoil I didn't get to sleep much before 6 am local time and I'll be up doing the same when we play Wigan .... Madness.

Thanks to Blackpool and certainly not us we are still above Sunderland but I expect us to be out of the top 6 later today, passed by Watford and maybe even the mighty Wigan.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

I get the feeling tonight was Buckley's chance and he blew it. Didn't move the ball quick enough and under hit a lot of passes which seems to be a trait of his at the minute. He also doesn't play with enough intensity, which is probably the main frustration. Ultimately way off what Tomasson is looking for. I think he'll be out the team for a while now and worked on outside of the starting 11 which should mean Adam Wharton gets another chance. That is certainly what should happen.

He looked lackadasical, could not place a pass if he wanted! I think he completely blew it today. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

He looked lackadasical, could not place a pass if he wanted! I think he completely blew it today. 

He is so lethargic in possession which I find infuriating. Your description of lackadaisical is also apt too. It's so frustrating because I think he can play but he will soon be at the crossroads and certainly needs to improve a great deal. 

• Like 1

Usually I wake up the following morning and re-tract my comments slightly….Not this morning, still in shock at how bad we were. It’s not like it was a one off, we’ve been playing like this for the majority of the season and it falls with the manager.

I’ve said several times about giving JDT a chance which I’m just about sticking by. However you cannot play like we are with the players we have. Things have to change.

The middle 2 of Travis & Buckley were nothing but embarrassing last night. We’re screaming for a player like Rothwell who picks the ball up and runs…

No doubt we will play the same on Saturday and scab a win with JDT thinking his game plan is working. Like many have said there’s only one way we’re going & that’s down the league. 

Imagine playing like last night against the Dingles. They will ship 5/6 past us with ease.

O and even if we scored that pen, the above comment would of still been posted.

Edited by BankEnd Rover
  • Like 3