BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sunderland (h) 18/10/2022

29 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I would give BBD the Captains armband for Tomorrows game, with Travis suspended. He gets yellow carded far to often for my liking. A Captains supposed to show discipline and motivate the team when their heads are down.

Travis got carded doing EXACTLY what you'd want a captain to do, taking issue with the shithouse up top who stamped on Kaminsi's ankle. Only him and Hyam really seemed arsed about it. The rest of them could learn a thing or two.

Edited by Mellor Rover

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

But Dack or Szmodics aren't strikers. I would like to see main striker on the bench

I don’t think we play with a number 9 mate. Neither Gally or BBD have played as 9’s really either….more to the point the two you mentioned basically havent performed.

Who would you take from my bench for Hirst?

9 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t think we play with a number 9 mate. Neither Gally or BBD have played as 9’s really either….more to the point the two you mentioned basically havent performed.

Who would you take from my bench for Hirst?

Thanks to Mad Tony we've only got one number 9, Gallagher, and neither TM or JDT have trusted him to play him as a number 9. So that's why we don't play with a number 9.

If we had a number 9 it would be a good option to have when we're struggling to score.

But I agree Hirst isn't the answer.

One thing I've noticed between JDT's Rovers and Mowbray's that I've not really seen raised so far is the quality of the goals we score. When we do score (ignore away from home) the goals under JDT have been fantastic quality. Well worked set pieces, one touch passes/finishes. Mowbray's goals I remember being scrappy, route one stuff. The 2 at home to West Brom, Watford and the one at Blackpool spring to mind. 

Very much a double edged sword though as sometimes you need one to go in off someone's nob end in the last minute in this division. 

We're gonna have some poor results as we try and play this brand of football, but I don't mind seeing an identity trying to be established. Albeit with a better squad, Norwich finished 18th I think in Farke's first season and won the league the year after. Wouldn't mind putting a few past Mogga tomorrow under the Ewood lights.

3-1 Rovers

7 hours ago, Gav said:

Pep Guardiola persuaded Mikel Arteta to take the Arsenal Job and leave Many City, do you think City fans are up in arms about that? Or do they understand these things happen in football and wished him all the best?

We live in a society today where everyone wants to be offended by something, this is a prime example of that, I bet most fans had never even heard of Stuart Harvey before the story broke, I certainly hadn't. 

On Mowbray, he deserve the fans respect and he'll get it, the fans who attend understand the job he did, the players he produced and promotions are rare at Ewood.

I wish him all the best, but not this week, Rovers 2 Sunderland 0

League titles are even rarer that’s one of many reasons he won’t get mine

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, booth said:

Thanks to Mad Tony we've only got one number 9, Gallagher, and neither TM or JDT have trusted him to play him as a number 9. So that's why we don't play with a number 9.

If we had a number 9 it would be a good option to have when we're struggling to score.

But I agree Hirst isn't the answer.

but they trusted him to play where he does and bangs in a worldie having trapped turned and shot at goal! he also scored a poachers tap in from his positioning in the 6 yard box, cant ask more than that

• Like 1

I'd like to see Garrett in for Travis & go with the same approach to the game as at Boro. The only other option would be Dack instead, but I wonder if that might just leave us exposed through a lack of mobility and bite in midfield.

I'd keep Gally up top, he's always had that ability in him, I've been a staunch defender of his against a lot of criticism on here, and that's why. Play him right & that's what he can do.

Tomorrow night's selection will have one eye to Saturday's match too. I suspect we will see significant changes between the two matches as rotation continues with 7 games in the next 4 weeks. These next two games are massive chances to make a statement, but both are big potential banana skins for us too so we'll need to be on our mettle throughout.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think we need more in attack than just 2 strikers. Wharton, Morton and Garrett in front of a back 5 in a home game v a side with no strikers would be negative.

Not if the wing-backs push forward. It is building from a position of strength.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, booth said:

Left us in good shape? Highly questionable that.

For me the state TM left us in is the only thing currently giving JDT a pass on our more questionable performances.

Half of Tomasson's(only 6) signings can hardly get a kick in one of the youngest teams in the division, which could go top tomorrow after 16 games in. 

The evidence is there, whether you accept it is up to you. 

Thankfully the "he's left us in the brown stuff" comments have turned out to be unfounded, and have actually subsided. 

I sometimes think there would be more fans happier if we were in a relegation battle, rather than threatening the top spot. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, M_B said:

Half of Tomasson's(only 6) signings can hardly get a kick in one of the youngest teams in the division, which could go top tomorrow after 16 games in. 

Thankfully the "he's left us in the brown stuff" comments have turned out to be unfounded, and have actually subsided. 

I sometimes think there would be more fans happier if we were in a relegation battle, rather than threatening the top spot. 

He left us with one senior striker in the squad and despite knowing we had several players out of contract seemed happy to just keep mosying along until he was forced to do something about it. Couldn't organise a defence in his entire time with us, or sign a decent full back. Waited half a season to sign Pickering who is a good worker but is continually targetted by opposition managers.

Yep I'd be happier that we were in a relegation batter because I disagreed that you said he left us in good shape 🤣😂

3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

but they trusted him to play where he does and bangs in a worldie having trapped turned and shot at goal! he also scored a poachers tap in from his positioning in the 6 yard box, cant ask more than that

Yes but as we know we can't rely on just Gallagher and Brereton.

Not understanding the "they" part of your statement, considering TM chose to play Gallagher anywhere but up front and even thought he could do a job at right back.

Edited by booth

The one team I wouldnt want to play Dack against is a Mowbray team . No need for psychological problems.

Only Dack & Markanday havent really had any proper game -time under JDT. I dont really buy the fitness thing.

And in Markandays case,it isnt his age or his wages. He must be pretty unimpressive in training given the game time Hirst has had!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, M_B said:

He definitely left us in a better state than he found us, as comparing his first team to his last is like chalk & cheese. Of course, much of that is down to the development of players from the academy, which in all fairness everyone in a senior management role (inc the owners) can take some credit in.

That said, he should've made more of the superb position we were in last season by at least qualifying for the playoffs.

As for the comment re half of Tomasson's signings hardly getting a kick, that's a bit harsh. Hyam has been an excellent upgrade on Lenihan, & Morton is more than proving his worth. Szmodics has scored 2 & assisted 2 since his late arrival, whilst also hampered by concussion, likewise Brittain is a top signing also hampered by injury. Hirst is clearly the main signing up for debate, but it's still early days & he clearly has something given his performances for Pompey. That leaves Mola, who was never likely to be an immediate hit given his age & lack of match fitness. According to Rigger, he seems to be doing well for the U21s & developing nicely.

So overall I'd say purely from a footballing perspective, TM did a good job overall & improved the squad significantly, and the early signs are positive that JDT & GB can improve us further. The win at Boro shows what the team is capable of when things click, so it is logical that as the players grow together they produce more of that than they do the dross at Wigan etc.

6 minutes ago, harryhealless1928 said:

The one team I wouldnt want to play Dack against is a Mowbray team . No need for psychological problems.

Only Dack & Markanday havent really had any proper game -time under JDT. I dont really buy the fitness thing.

And in Markandays case,it isnt his age or his wages. He must be pretty unimpressive in training given the game time Hirst has had!!

Markanday is pretty unimpressive for the U21s.

22 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

He definitely left us in a better state than he found us, as comparing his first team to his last is like chalk & cheese. Of course, much of that is down to the development of players from the academy, which in all fairness everyone in a senior management role (inc the owners) can take some credit in.

That said, he should've made more of the superb position we were in last season by at least qualifying for the playoffs.

As for the comment re half of Tomasson's signings hardly getting a kick, that's a bit harsh. Hyam has been an excellent upgrade on Lenihan, & Morton is more than proving his worth. Szmodics has scored 2 & assisted 2 since his late arrival, whilst also hampered by concussion, likewise Brittain is a top signing also hampered by injury. Hirst is clearly the main signing up for debate, but it's still early days & he clearly has something given his performances for Pompey. That leaves Mola, who was never likely to be an immediate hit given his age & lack of match fitness. According to Rigger, he seems to be doing well for the U21s & developing nicely.

So overall I'd say purely from a footballing perspective, TM did a good job overall & improved the squad significantly, and the early signs are positive that JDT & GB can improve us further. The win at Boro shows what the team is capable of when things click, so it is logical that as the players grow together they produce more of that than they do the dross at Wigan etc.

In my original post, I actually said I've a feeling tomorrow could be the night for Szmodics. 

45 minutes ago, booth said:

He left us with one senior striker in the squad and despite knowing we had several players out of contract seemed happy to just keep mosying along until he was forced to do something about it. Couldn't organise a defence in his entire time with us, or sign a decent full back. Waited half a season to sign Pickering who is a good worker but is continually targetted by opposition managers.

Yep I'd be happier that we were in a relegation batter because I disagreed that you said he left us in good shape 🤣😂

We must just be lucky. 

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

In my original post, I actually said I've a feeling tomorrow could be the night for Szmodics. 

He's definitely not one to give up on IMO, as many on here were suggesting they would. He's clearly the type if player who becomes a fan's favourite for his effort & commitment. 

Didn't he get 6 goals for Posh last season? He's already a third of the way there after what, 6 starts? At that rate he'll finish on 10-12 goals, which will be none too shabby. If he (2 so far), Gally (2), BBD (7), Dolan (2) & Hirst (0) can score 40-50 between them, and the rest of the squad 25-30 (5 so far), that'll be a good return I'd say.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think we need more in attack than just 2 strikers. Wharton, Morton and Garrett in front of a back 5 in a home game v a side with no strikers would be negative.

We have to stick with a system for a while and settle into it. The first half 352 looked the best we have put together for a some time. Have to stick with it. We can always change later in the game if needed.

Also I don't really subscribe with 352 being more defensive than 4231 or 343. It can be very offensive as you can get a lot of players into dangerous areas. The wing backs and the number 10 will provide a lot of support to the front two. We created very few chances with either the 343 or 4231 despite having a lot of players pushed very far forward, because while they were positionally advanced they ended up seeing very little of the ball so had no impact. The 352 let us win the midfield battle which then meant we could create the opportunities.

Two strikers who have something to work with is much better than three strikers running around chasing the opposition all game.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

He's definitely not one to give up on IMO, as many on here were suggesting they would. He's clearly the type if player who becomes a fan's favourite for his effort & commitment. 

Didn't he get 6 goals for Posh last season? He's already a third of the way there after what, 6 starts? At that rate he'll finish on 10-12 goals, which will be none too shabby. If he (2 so far), Gally (2), BBD (7), Dolan (2) & Hirst (0) can score 40-50 between them, and the rest of the squad 25-30 (5 so far), that'll be a good return I'd say.

Definitely.

The goals from midfield has been a problem for many a season. Let's hope Szmodics and Hedges can deliver. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Garrett protects the back with Wharton and Morton get forward and support the front 2. Plus Brittain and Pickering get forward aswell.