BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sunderland (h) 18/10/2022

It will be interesting to see what if any reception Mowbray gets, I suspect none at all in an empty ground with Waggott putting the prices up for a night game that is ok Sky. Plus as a manager, it isn't like a player who can get booed when on the ball or clapped off when subbed off/his name is read out. I don't forsee any booing, I would be happy to give him a round of applause.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Kaminski 

Carter        Hyam        Wharton

Brittain              Morton                  Hedges
              Buckley            Wharton   

Gally       BBD

SUBS

Pears, Phillips, Pickering, Garrett, Dack, Dolan, Szmodics

Paul, Can I ask why you would play Hedges at left wing back? Also would not want a striker on the bench like Hirst or Vale? 

I would put Hirst on the bench. 

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It will be interesting to see what if any reception Mowbray gets, I suspect none at all in an empty ground with Waggott putting the prices up for a night game that is ok Sky. Plus as a manager, it isn't like a player who can get booed when on the ball or clapped off when subbed off/his name is read out. I don't forsee any booing, I would be happy to give him a round of applause.

I suspect they will be around 12k regardless on the game being on Sky. 

Do you expect him to get a round of applause from many fans? 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Paul, Can I ask why you would play Hedges at left wing back? Also would not want a striker on the bench like Hirst or Vale? 

Might be announced as that but as a night game some season tickets will give it a swerve and watch on TV and Waggott saying all night games are £20 before putting the prices up will not help. I think there will be no real reaction to Mowbray.

I am guessing based on your prediction that Dack maybe not making the bench that he would make way for Hirst? Who would you bring on if you need a goal out of the 2, would be senseless to go for Hirst. Or even Vale, who has never looked like scoring and couldn't score in non league.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, M_B said:

I'll clap him, then hope we pick up another 3 points. He was right man at the right time for Rovers, and left us in good shape. 

Could be the night for Szmodics to cement his place.

Left us in good shape? Highly questionable that.

For me the state TM left us in is the only thing currently giving JDT a pass on our more questionable performances.

• Like 3

Mowbray's interview is real 'woe is me' stuff. He had probably the easiest five years of his footballing life with errant owners, a CEO he pretty much appointed and a passive supporter base. He was under no pressure whatsoever and eked out five years on a decent salary which has probably set him up for life.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wanted to get Hedges back in as I think he’s been arguably our best player this season. I think he’s played well at Wb this season and he’s naturally left footed plus Pickering has played a lot of games recently so….

I take your point in respect of Hirst and Vale but I don’t think either are playing well and there’s questions as to whether they’re good enough full stop. I also think Dack, Dolan and Szmodics could play off either Gally or BBD.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Might be announced as that but as a night game some season tickets will give it a swerve and watch on TV and Waggott saying all night games are £20 before putting the prices up will not help. I think there will be no real reaction to Mowbray.

I am guessing based on your prediction that Dack maybe not making the bench that he would make way for Hirst? Who would you bring on if you need a goal out of the 2, would be senseless to go for Hirst. Or even Vale, who has never looked like scoring and couldn't score in non league.

He makes a good point Chaddy…who would you drop off my bench for Hirst or Vale? Are either of them more or less likely to get you a goal than Dolan, Dack or Szmodics? 

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Well that down to the season tickets holders to do what they want. 

Yes it would probably be Dack sadly but I think we need a number 9 striker on the bench. 

Still beating with Vale with that non league stat! He almost scored against Blackpool actually if the keeper didn't make a very good save. 

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I wanted to get Hedges back in as I think he’s been arguably our best player this season. I think he’s played well at Wb this season and he’s naturally left footed plus Pickering has played a lot of games recently so….

I take your point in respect of Hirst and Vale but I don’t think either are playing well and there’s questions as to whether they’re good enough full stop. I also think Dack, Dolan and Szmodics could play off either Gally or BBD.

But Dack or Szmodics aren't strikers. I would like to see main striker on the bench

19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Mowbray's interview is real 'woe is me' stuff. He had probably the easiest five years of his footballing life with errant owners, a CEO he pretty much appointed and a passive supporter base. He was under no pressure whatsoever and eked out five years on a decent salary which has probably set him up for life.

I tried not to read it but temptation did for me 

So having to fly to India to talk contract was the final straw? This from a man who immediately after relegation to L1 got himself on a plane to India and came back with a contract on his own terms and bye bye Senior and any DoF plans to interrupt him. Waggott incoming.

At least he sensibly kept away from 'little car'.

The game is about us winning and feck all to do what he is begging for which is an 'emotional' return. Do me a favour.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hirst will be lucky to be on the U21s bench. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We are pretty much guaranteed an official gate of 14,000+ if Sunderland are bringing c5,000. Of course midweek, colder weather, live on Sky will mean plenty of ST holders will stay at home but they will still be counted.

5 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

He definitely can though - he might've been holding the parcel when the music stopped, but our results after he took over were not far off playoff form. With probably the worst squad in many of our lifetimes. 

Yes we were still relegated, but there's a world of difference between the two scenarios and the amount of credit/blame he gets for them. 

Those in charge realised that and that's why he was afforded the opportunity to try and get us up again. Alongside the biggest budget and best backing in the division by far as well as one of its strongest squads despite them relegating us.

Had they brought him in maybe 3 or 4 games earlier we may or may not have avoided the drop but we'd certainly have given ourselves a better shot at it. People seem to take it as a given that he would have kept us up but that's hindsight there are no guarantees.

However my point still stands his name was over the door and he didn't do quite enough to keep us up. I can certainly point to several games that were what we came to know were typically standard Mowbray and they could and should have been better considering what was at stake.

Ultimately the owners running of the club was at the core of the blame but just like the manager then they have to get credit as well for their part in the promotion.  

Edited by tomphil