BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

6 minutes ago, Realistic Rover said:

Sharpe suggesting there are 3 strikers who haven’t been named yet, that we are “assessing”

Thank god we are 'assessing' some strikers. Good thing there's not some kind of deadline looming.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

But wasn't it Mowbray, Venus & Waggot who were the driving forces behind that? 

That's in the past, before any of us had heard of Greg Broughton or JDT in the context of a young manager. Since they arrived the focus has been very much on longer term stability, regeneration & sustainability. That was something that in the summer most of us craved at a time when relegation was considered more likely than promotion.

Rebuilding this club is analogous to building a team. Starting from the back with a solid defensive platform is the equivalent of building the club from the academy upwards, the rest then follows over a period of time.

I want success as much as you, but not at the cost of throwing longer term sustainability under the bus. I think there's room for both.

I know who was behind it but I was using that as an example of what can potentially happen. Something as radical as that would throw the journey, project or plan awry. That's what I have been saying all along - there are far too many variables in football and under irrational owners to plan so far ahead. 

• Like 1

Potentially an excellent window after all, o brien would be a superb signing for us, Thomas could be shrewd buisness, I’d take cook as he was quality for forest last season and if we’re able to get a striker in jeeeeeez fair play to mr broughton afterall. 

come 11pm broughton waggot and venkys out 🤣🤣🤣 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

They'd better loan out Ash Phillips if that's the case. His camp will be furious if we've got him to commit his future to us as part of a long-term project then signed a 30+ year old CB in January when he's not looked out of place in his limited appearances. 

I think Cook would be a very shrewd addition especially if we could maybe get on an 18 month deal, not just a loan. A real leader, been there and done it and a quality defender at this level.

Phillips was really shaky at the start of the season but really caught my eye against Forest (I appreciate we got battered but the likes of Mola and Wharton were the issue) and also at Norwich where he was excellent. I definitely think he is better than Carter who is rather clumsy and cumbersome.

I would suggest that the ideal scenario would be to get Cook along with Ayala, Wharton and Hyam and have a really experienced set of defenders for the rest of the season, maybe keep Carter to cover CB and RB and then loan Phillips out. He has struggled in basically all of his appearances with cramp and usually goes off when he starts which isn't ideal for a centre back in particular when you have to change mid game, hopefully some League 1 football could allow him to develop physically. I can't see Cook signing though,

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, Realistic Rover said:

Sharpe suggesting there are 3 strikers who haven’t been named yet, that we are “assessing”

The moment he put that up, a Forest supporting pal of mine text me to say he thinks Surridge is coming here.

Struggle to believe it given they've just bought him, but I wouldn't say no!

2 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

We could be linked with any number of Forest players since they have signed 167 players since their promotion. 

Probably not a bad idea. Their squad if far too big and there'll be alot of disgruntled reasonable quality players who will be looking for a move. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

They'd better loan out Ash Phillips if that's the case. His camp will be furious if we've got him to commit his future to us as part of a long-term project then signed a 30+ year old CB in January when he's not looked out of place in his limited appearances. 

Yeah really bemused that we would blow presumably a significant amount of money on a 31 year old defender when we've already got two strong (and presumably expensive) experienced CBs in Ayala and Hyam, and three decent young ones in Wharton, Carter and Phillips.

• Like 4

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah really bemused that we would blow presumably a significant amount of money on a 31 year old defender when we've already got two strong (and presumably expensive) experienced CBs in Ayala and Hyam, and three decent young ones in Wharton, Carter and Phillips.

Phillips out on loan for a few months seems a good idea to me.

Cook and Ayala depart in the summer, hopefully Ash comes in ready to start most games,

OK, I'm into panic stations now and thinking logistics.

Rovers usually arrive at away games 60 minutes before the match (I believe?) 

On a good run, without traffic, Brockhall to Birmingham City is 2 hours 30 minutes on a coach.

Rovers kick off at 7:45pm

I reckon we have 36 minutes before the coach leaves for the game and the opportunity for a player to meet the manager before they sign is over. Does a player sign without meeting the manager in person? I'm not sure, does anyone know how normal that would be? 

Just now, J*B said:

On a good run, without traffic, Brockhall to Birmingham City is 2 hours 30 minutes on a coach.

I reckon we have 36 minutes before the coach leaves for the game and the opportunity for a player to meet the manager before they sign is over. Does a player sign without meeting the manager in person? I'm not sure, does anyone know how normal that would be? 

They went down last night according to Rich.

1 minute ago, J*B said:

if its a loan they'll  use face time or something 

1 minute ago, J*B said:

Probably just use the telephone 😅

• Like 1