BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

2 hours ago, briansol said:

The only logic I can think of is that he just just became a father for the first time, and staying in a stable enviroment with family for one more year before uprooting his family to another country might appeal. Could be his partner preference.

Yeah agreed, it's that strange that you might think there has been some hint that it might be considered. For the club it's obvious that a long-term contract would be the preferred option. He and his partner might have discovered how stressful it is to have a fresh baby and might consider staying around familiar surrounding for another year. It's quite a different scenario for a partner to stay at home with a crying baby in a foreign country.

You make a very logical and fair point here. Could be the case 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn’t be offering him that sort of money at all. That’ll get us two or three good players who’ll contribute more than BBD.

Its a fair point you could that we could offer that 30k to two or 3 players who would improve the overall quality of the squad 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Do non-Champions League Spanish clubs generally pay substantially more than £30k a week? (Maybe a top earner/marquee player, but a whole starting XI etc?)

No. An Italian club was complaining that English teams like even Bournemouth could pay double what clubs from other league could pay.  That was transfer fees and wages

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roverthechimp said:

That or we have been encouraged to make such an offer by someone who suspects/knows that BB isn’t ready for a long term move

Yeah I suspect thats it. His wife may not fancy moving so soon after having the baby, or maybe even moving to Spain at all. I get it could be convenient for him, but it isn't convenient for us I think - 30k a week is around £1.5M a year. If he was guaranteed goals then great, but he isnt exactly that. Its a lot of money for a player who blows hot and cold who will be worth nothing at the end of the contract.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

A 1 year contract, I'm sure he will sign that!

If true, I'd assume that there has been some kind of conversation with Diaz to give the club any sniff that it's worth pursuing. That's not to say I think it'll be signed. I don't.

My guess is that he's stressed right now. He's just had a baby, he's got Villareal waiting on an answer and he can't leave them hanging indefinitely. He'll have a support network here for him and his girlfriend and all of a sudden the idea of sunny Spain seems very intimidating without friends and family around to help with a newborn. That's not to mention the language barrier. 

It may well be the option of he makes the move by himself or not at all. Lots of assumptions in this post but it's not an unlikely scenario. 

From a club perspective I'd be looking to offer him a 2 year deal with a low release clause. £8m to recoup our outlay. If the move abroad is causing stress it allows him to focus on his family for now, it gives a bit of security in the event of an injury, whilst giving the club a small amount of protection.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

If true, I'd assume that there has been some kind of conversation with Diaz to give the club any sniff that it's worth pursuing. That's not to say I think it'll be signed. I don't.

My guess is that he's stressed right now. He's just had a baby, he's got Villareal waiting on an answer and he can't leave them hanging indefinitely. He'll have a support network here for him and his girlfriend and all of a sudden the idea of sunny Spain seems very intimidating without friends and family around to help with a newborn. That's not to mention the language barrier. 

It may well be the option of he makes the move by himself or not at all. Lots of assumptions in this post but it's not an unlikely scenario. 

From a club perspective I'd be looking to offer him a 2 year deal with a low release clause. £8m to recoup our outlay. If the move abroad is causing stress it allows him to focus on his family for now, it gives a bit of security in the event of an injury, whilst giving the club a small amount of protection.

Him as a free transfer is a different proposition to bigger clubs compared to at £8m.

12 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Do we really want Brereton that much? He blows hot and cold, his game is limited and we could sign 2 better players for the same money who would make the team much stronger.

Like who? I can't think of two players who would come here for 15k p/w who are better than Brereton. Hell I can't think of one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah I suspect thats it. His wife may not fancy moving so soon after having the baby, or maybe even moving to Spain at all. I get it could be convenient for him, but it isn't convenient for us I think - 30k a week is around £1.5M a year. If he was guaranteed goals then great, but he isnt exactly that. Its a lot of money for a player who blows hot and cold who will be worth nothing at the end of the contract.

1.5m all in for a 10-20 goal striker for one season is pretty cheap (imo) 

Consider that it is not much more than the total cost for a decent loan 

Of course at a normal club it wouldn’t be necessary but we are Rovers 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It makes no sense on every level. If it is a pathetically late attempt to claw back some money, then presumably we would then try and sell him in the summer. Why would he massively reduce his options and potentially reduce any deals on the table elsewhere by tying himself down here?

@briansolmakes a very good case for why it might be offered by us?  

7 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

What I dont get is why offer a one year deal? How does that help us? Very odd

Because that £30,000 offer isn't really for a year, you get him to sign that so that you can sell him within a matter of weeks for money. We pay Ben £300,000 to get a £15m fee. Win win. It wouldn't be with the intention to actually keep him for another year surely?

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

Because that £30,000 offer isn't really for a year, you get him to sign that so that you can sell him within a matter of weeks for money. We pay Ben £300,000 to get a £15m fee. Win win. It wouldn't be with the intention to actually keep him for another year surely?

But why would Brereton sign a £1.5m contract if he is worth £15m in the transfer market ? He can negotiate both a significant signing on fee and a higher salary.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Seems a bit far fetched, surely makes sense to get a house arranged by the summer and then be settled for 5 years.

Either way, from our perspective it is desperate after stupidly throwing 8m down the drain.

Well that's your opinion, Everything else is speculation. No-one on here know what Ben, his missus or family/agent are thinking. 

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Of course, these are all opinions. He could jeopardise a big money move to Villarreal though if he does sign for another year here.

Do we know that the Villareal move is ”big money”? Can actually see it being less than most PL clubs and a good few championship clubs although maybe not 5 years

Hes not going to jeopardise a move anywhere if he bangs in 20 goals next year and proves he's not a flash in the pan. If he can't do that in the Championship he wouldn't have been able to do it in La Liga either, which raises a whole host of problems for his future too.

I think the truth is likely that a lot of the interest has dried up due to his recent form. A player can't just wind down the clock and get a better deal when out of contract despite his form dropping considerably. Hype can disappear quickly, and when there's no agreement in place its very easy for a party just to walk away.

Like I said in another thread, he may just welcome the opportunity to have his next 12 months sorted, making solid money, getting his life in order and further developing his game without pressure. Or not, maybe he opts to take his chances in the summer and we're in the same position we were already. I think its a good sign for the club that this option is even being talked about though.

What about the wage structure that has now become legend? Didn't we lose three players last season because of this (or at least that is what we were told by the Waggettes on here). How suddenly we can offer a player £30k - why didn't we offer him this when we were negotiating several months ago?

• Like 3

Maybe his wife wants her family around to help with the baby and have the opportunity to bond with it before they move. I know a few girls who wouldn’t want to be away from their family in this situation. So if Ben stays and plays for us for another 12 months and then he can uproot his family and the baby will be older. If I was guessing I’d say that’s the situation and bens told his agent he’d be willing to do another season because non of the other scenarios make any sense

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

What about the wage structure that has now become legend? Didn't we lose three players last season because of this (or at least that is what we were told by the Waggettes on here). How suddenly we can offer a player £30k - why didn't we offer him this when we were negotiating several months ago?

We might have done but at that point he was being touted for PL riches 

can imagine we made offers for 2+1 year around the 15-20k mark but his agent told us to do one on the, reasonable, assumption that he could do much much better. 

As it is now - if the player is hesitant about a relocation and form is not there then the agent is doing his job by exploring options ”in accordance with his clients wishes” whilst possibly improving the odds for a successful and lucrative move.  

41 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

We might have done but at that point he was being touted for PL riches 

can imagine we made offers for 2+1 year around the 15-20k mark but his agent told us to do one on the, reasonable, assumption that he could do much much better. 

As it is now - if the player is hesitant about a relocation and form is not there then the agent is doing his job by exploring options ”in accordance with his clients wishes” whilst possibly improving the odds for a successful and lucrative move.  

Irrespective of when it was offered (I don't believe £30k was on the table until recently) what about the wage structure? This is one of the reasons we lost three players we are led to believe. And if it's true what about new signings or incoming players. Surely they will want parity. 

• Like 3