BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

One question for Tomasson

This messageboard, this thread, social media, the LT. Everywhere I look people are incredulous. Rightly so after something we could all see coming. 

I have a strong feeling JDT had no idea just how much this game meant to the fans. He said he did, but actions speak louder than words. I hope that he's aware now, reflects and works logically to right the wrongs. 

When I say logically, you only need to look at comments from 90% of the fanbase to understand what that means. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, booth said:

Indefinitely or months? It can't be both.

He can't take flak indefinitely I agree but it's going to take some time to get the ghost of Tony Mowbray out of the club.

Its easy to continue blaming Mowbray especially considering how sour it got towards the end, but he was not a virus eating away at an otherwise healthy club, the virus is Venkys but that is another story.

This season we have already put in close to as many uncompetitive performances as in the entirety of last season.

But this is no longer Mowbray's team. Our main centre back who also played yesterday was signed post Mowbray. The left centre back was also signed under Tomasson as did one of the wing backs and central midfielders. Another central midfielder and the sub striker have only been brought through this season. I am glad he has gone but I am not having this idea that his ghost continues to haunt us.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its easy to continue blaming Mowbray especially considering how sour it got towards the end, but he was not a virus eating away at an otherwise healthy club, the virus is Venkys but that is another story.

This season we have already put in close to as many uncompetitive performances as in the entirety of last season.

But this is no longer Mowbray's team. Our main centre back who also played yesterday was signed post Mowbray. The left centre back was also signed under Tomasson as did one of the wing backs and central midfielders. Another central midfielder and the sub striker have only been brought through this season. I am glad he has gone but I am not having this idea that his ghost continues to haunt us.

We've signed a handful of players and had a new manager since mid June.

The players still only perform for one half, as they did under Mowbray.

They are still as gutless as we were under Mowbray.

But in third place.

Tomasson has his issues which I've pointed out plenty, but don't tell me he's not wrangling with the shitshow he was left with.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, booth said:

We've signed a handful of players and had a new manager since mid June.

The players still only perform for one half, as they did under Mowbray.

They are still as gutless as we were under Mowbray.

But in third place.

Tomasson has his issues which I've pointed out plenty, but don't tell me he's not wrangling with the shitshow he was left with.

We finished 8th so "shit show" is probably a bit unfair. 4 of the starters yesterday were not here under Mowbray with a 5th from my recollection making minimal if any contribution under him. I just think it's a stretch to still be putting blame to any performances with a much changed side months following his departure. We have moved on or I thought we had.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

We finished 8th so "shit show" is probably a bit unfair. 4 of the starters yesterday were not here under Mowbray with a 5th from my recollection making minimal if any contribution under him. I just think it's a stretch to still be putting blame to any performances with a much changed side months following his departure. We have moved on or I thought we had.

When I said shitshow I obviously wasn't referring to just the league position.

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

This messageboard, this thread, social media, the LT. Everywhere I look people are incredulous. Rightly so after something we could all see coming. 

I have a strong feeling JDT had no idea just how much this game meant to the fans. He said he did, but actions speak louder than words. I hope that he's aware now, reflects and works logically to right the wrongs. 

When I say logically, you only need to look at comments from 90% of the fanbase to understand what that means. 

I think he could have fallen into the trap of thinking it'll be like the Blackpool and Wigan games.

Lots of derbies this season and apart from staff around the club who above him is saying hey don't fuck this one up.

Waggot ? no chance, Pasha ? No idea, Broughton ? the Owners ? - it's the age old Venky era problem at Rovers, nobody upstairs understands anything.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think he could have fallen into the trap of thinking it'll be like the Blackpool and Wigan games.

Lots of derbies this season and apart from staff around the club who above him is saying hey don't fuck this one up.

Waggot ? no chance, Pasha ? No idea, Broughton ? the Owners ? - it's the age old Venky era problem at Rovers, nobody upstairs understands anything.

They don't give a toss, which is even worse. 

When we have lightweight loanees and a guy with one cup appearance in front of Blackburn lads who happen to be also amongst the best players it won't help. 

Badly needed a David Dunn type out there.

All we saw and heard about on the day was how much it meant to Burnley, their dodgy chairman seemed to grasp it well enough as did their new gaffer. As for us just a shrug of the shoulders 'poor fans, poor young team it's a shame for them ' but it's just a project where we don't seem entitled to expect anything.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 9

16 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I don't think it's got anything to do with him knowing how much it means to the fans, whether he does or doesn't. It's not like he's going to have intentionally made the wrong decisions because he thought this game meant less to us than it did. He made the decisions he thought might carry the day, and they absolutely didn't. That's plenty enough for him to be pilloried, we don't need to analyse whether he knows what it means to us.

On 14/11/2022 at 09:40, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Why after correctly identifying the  “ tippy tappy, play it around at the back until you lose the ball “ style of football as “ The Dutch Disease “ do you insist on playing it ?

I think this is the most pertinent question of all. I'd almost forgotten that he said this, due to the way we have played since. My only explanation for why this has happened is I think we perhaps play around at the back in an attempt to draw the opposition onto us, leaving space for the counter-attacking that actually suits our game. I've had to miss a lot of games lately due to work commitments, but from those I've seen and heard about, it seems like our success in games hinges almost entirely on whether this works.

If teams press us high effectively, it's suicide and we get bummed. If they try to close us down but do it badly, we get to hit them on the counter. Might explain why we either win or lose, as we effectively have a single point of failure.

I think he downplayed it, and Kompany did the opposite. You could tell by the way there were goading us at the end, they knew. Both approaches could have backfired, but it's a lot easier when you have the stronger squad to pull it off. 

I think he left the Whartons out as he could see either some nerves, some extra aggression or he thinks he is somehow "protecting" them from a potentially "damaging" game? (I don't agree if this is the case). 

What am I worried about is it shows some arrogance to JDT. After 5 similar defeats in the same vein without any visible learnings being shown, he is a world class goal poacher after all, and it is "his way" only. This worries me. 

• Like 1

I'm not even sure that we are playing a possession based style, we are trying to.

Under JDT and so far this season our average possession is 51.4 pc, 49.50 pc at home and 53.40pc away.

Ok marginally possession based but often prone to lose possession in dangerous areas of the pitch.

Actually that's what the article is saying......... speed reading gone wrong.....

Burnleys possession stats shame ours, if it's all about possession

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Jezzzus it's going to be one miserable month or so on here with no rovers games or even a transfer window to give us something legit to go on about.

If we'd have ended on a high it might not have been so bad but the pish poor performance against The dinglets has left the flood doors open for the miserys on here to take centre stage.

Lets just forget were in a strong 3rd place and have spent most if not all of the campaign so far in the top 6.

The tactics might not be pretty but for the most part they have been relatively effective, although when they fail it becomes a 💩 show. Kind of similar to Allardyce to me in that he set the team up to make points playing in a very specific way and he looked at the bigger picture not just one game. 

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see the stats regarding how many times this season the ball has been lost in our rear third due to the 'possession' starting from the keeper.

And how many times this has lead to conceding.

We seem to have stats for everything else.

44 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Jezzzus it's going to be one miserable month or so on here with no rovers games or even a transfer window to give us something legit to go on about.

If we'd have ended on a high it might not have been so bad but the pish poor performance against The dinglets has left the flood doors open for the miserys on here to take centre stage.

Lets just forget were in a strong 3rd place and have spent most if not all of the campaign so far in the top 6.

The tactics might not be pretty but for the most part they have been relatively effective, although when they fail it becomes a 💩 show. Kind of similar to Allardyce to me in that he set the team up to make points playing in a very specific way and he looked at the bigger picture not just one game. 

Do you really that Sam would have set us like that last Sunday ? Not a chance.

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Who's being a misery?

Sunday was a depressing experience, even if I wasn't able to see the game. I can't understand what the manager's up to, but what do I know? It's not like I have any influence on it whatsoever. Not beating Burnley since 2010 though, that stings. 

Question for Jon -- if I give you the money, can you make Venky's sell up? Ta.

5 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Get down to watch the U21s

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

What is our style? People banged on about the high press and the fluid front 4 all summer but neither has materialised, and although we do pass it out more, it is certainly not a consistent, defined style.

Minimal possession and a long ball to Brereton is our style isn't it? At least it is when we win.

And I like it!

• Like 1