BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Preston North End (h) - 10/12/2022

8 hours ago, booth said:

Dack was playing further forward than he should. When he started playing a bit deeper he started contributing more to the game.

JDT played him deeper in the Blackpool match and he played well. Then next game he put him further forward, he was crap and barely featured since. You'd hope that the manager would have looked at the two performances and taken away the obvious, but he didn't.

Just like putting Brittain on the opposite side and Hedges at wingback. He expects too much from the players and doesn't seem to care or take responsibility for not getting the most from them.

Nail on the head

First half Dack was playing a striker right up against their defender and trying to make runs in behind, which he was obviously told to (JDT said we didn’t but him and Diaz made plenty just werent given the ball) does he not know Dacks strengths? He’s a number 10 who likes to push into the box, not a striker, it’s worrying he doesn’t know the game of who in my eyes is still our most gifted footballer.

Thought we’d seen the back of square pegs in round holes when Mowbray left but it’s rearing it’s ugly head again, do you see Burnley playing Benson right wing back? Do you bollocks, Hedges is one of our best players and we’re crippling his abilities by asking him to do the donkey work of a wing back, opposition managers must love it.

I like the manager but he needs to wise up quickly, good managers adapt to the players they have, not blindly play a style of football that the players at their disposable aren’t capable of. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Athlete said:

That is why we wont even get the play offs never mind promotion 

They arent interested ..last season was the best opportunity and didnt go for it .

Spot on Athlete.

Its been 11yrs blaming manager after manager, the penny has to drop at some point.

JDT was 5th maybe 6th choice to replace Mowbray, the managers looked at in the summer that could actually take the club to the next level, soon realised the club has no money and no ambition under these owners and went elsewhere. 

JDT needs time, he's been in the building 5 minutes, but if anyone thinks he or anyone else for that matter, under Venkys, will take this club up, you're in for disappointment season after season.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Spot on Athlete.

Its been 11yrs blaming manager after manager, the penny has to drop at some point.

JDT was 5th maybe 6th choice to replace Mowbray, the managers looked at in the summer that could actually take the club to the next level, soon realised the club has no money and no ambition under these owners and went elsewhere. 

JDT needs time, he's been in the building 5 minutes, but if anyone thinks he or anyone else for that matter, under Venkys, will take this club up, you're in for disappointment season after season.

I think you're right re: Venkys. It will take a season of monumental fluke to get promoted under them.

All this tippy tappy shite, however, is nothing to do with Venkys. It's solely on JDT.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I think you're right re: Venkys. It will take a season of monumental fluke to get promoted under them.

All this tippy tappy shite, however, is nothing to do with Venkys. It's solely on JDT.

It is Wheelton you’re right, he needs to find what works and what doesn’t, but it’s no coincidence that almost every top club in the world use this tactic, it must bring some rewards on the stats sheet somewhere.

We don’t have the players to play that way right now in my opinion, but in doing so it could well improve the group and we see the rewards further down the line. 

• Like 1

Was speaking with a Preston diehard and after he'd finished gloating he was realistic by saying they are an average side. Whilst he was delighted with the way they went about it yesterday him and his mates couldn't believe how bad Rovers were and what they were trying to do.

He felt the North End players couldn't believe it either, it was a comedy of errors and they spent most of the game laughing at Rovers.  Worst Blackburn side iv'e seen in the last decade of us playing each other was his comment.

We literally handed it to them gift wrapped.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

It is Wheelton you’re right, he needs to find what works and what doesn’t, but it’s no coincidence that almost every top club in the world use this tactic, it must bring some rewards on the stats sheet somewhere.

We don’t have the players to play that way right now in my opinion, but in doing so it could well improve the group and we see the rewards further down the line. 

I'm hanging onto some hope that, given a transfer window or two, he will find more suitable players.

In the meantime, he has to be more pragmatic, foresake his philosophy, and play to our limited strengths.

My faith is wavering though, and as MattyBlue said somewhere else, things could unravel quickly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Was speaking with a Preston diehard and after he'd finished gloating he was realistic by saying they are an average side. Whilst he was delighted with the way they went about it yesterday him and his mates couldn't believe how bad Rovers were and what they were trying to do.

He felt the North End players couldn't believe it either, it was a comedy of errors and they spent most of the game laughing at Rovers.  Worst Blackburn side iv'e seen in the last decade of us playing each other was his comment.

We literally handed it to them gift wrapped.

That "average" side let's very few goals in.  Solid base of the midfield, 3 good Centre Halves.  Good squeak for play offs if they add Archer in Jan.

1 minute ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I'm hanging onto some hope that, given a transfer window or two, he will find more suitable players.

In the meantime, he has to be more pragmatic, foresake his philosophy, and play to our limited strengths.

My faith is wavering though, and as MattyBlue said somewhere else, things could unravel quickly.

It's Broughton who finds the players though

• Like 2

Brittain will never be a left wing back.

Hedges will never be a right wing back.

Dack will never be a striker.

Scott Wharton will never be a great passer, he may well turn out to be a great defender.

I don't know what Travis is trying to be but it's a pale imitation of a footballer.

Send Mola, Morton and Hirst back and bring in some experienced professionals.

The only thing that JDT gets a pass for is he inherited such an unbalanced and thin squad, and he did at least want to sign some decent players but they went elsewhere. Broughton has to shoulder some of the blame for that, and for not identifying and fixing weaknesses in midfield and up front. If he doesn't rectify this in January then the writing is on the wall.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

That "average" side let's very few goals in.  Solid base of the midfield, 3 good Centre Halves.  Good squeak for play offs if they add Archer in Jan.

They are certainly no better than us but they are better coached and drilled by the looks of it.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Gav said:

Top clubs have top players. No need to say anymore.

I like JDT and want him to do well but on the other hand the last two performances have been completely unacceptable and this has the potential to go South extremely quickly. I'd like to see some objective reason on the pitch for liking JDT other than the fact he isn't Mowbray.

What the hell has happened to Adam Wharton? He hasn't had a look in since penning a long term deal and if yesterday is an example of the level of effort Morton is going to put in for the rest of the season, he might as well fuck off back to Liverpool now.

• Like 3

• Backroom
44 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ye he was so steadfast in his chasing of Hirst....really gives me confidence does Greggy Boy🙈

Also steadfast in his chasing of Hyam and Van den Berg too, albeit the latter didn't come here.

As awful as some performances have been, I'm still hopeful.

All JDT needs to do is let the tippy-tappy happen up front with Hedges and Dack and Brereton behind Gallagher, BUT insist the back 4 and midfield (imo should be Wharton or Buckley and a new hardman) don't arse around in their own half.

5 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Definitely no coincidence. It’s been deliberately contrived for years. Since the mania of “Tika-taka” everyone has become obsessed with it being “the right way to play”. Every UEFA coaching licence is based around it. I worked with a number of coaches doing their A and B qualifications a few years ago where they needed to put on sessions. Every single one of them was a variation on the same thing and started with the keeper passing it 6 yards.

It’s the reason Sean Dyche is currently unemployed. It’s the reason certain players are massively over/under valued in terms of transfer fees. The rules of the game are being changed to accommodate this style of play.

Tomasson and loads of other managers are passing on very little of what they did during their playing careers. Anyone who played the game at any level from Sunday league to Champions league would’ve been hauled over the coals for making one pass across their back line and putting their team mates under pressure, up until about 2005 - but now they are instructed to do it. It’s book learning.

All it will lead to is the teams with the best (most suited to this style) players winning leagues and qualifying for European competitions. Rovers should be bucking the trend rather than embracing it, cos clearly we are incapable of doing it competently. I reckon that Tony Pulis Stoke side of 10-15 years ago that were the antithesis of this new obsession would easily get a top 4 finish in the premier league this season.

I'm far from convinced this playing it out from the back malarkey creates more goals than it gives away. Even at the World Cup we've seen some of the best sides in the world get themselves into trouble on countless occasions employing the system  and conceding quite a few needless goals.

For Rovers it's a complete no no. As you say, in olden times it was a cardinal rule that you don't pass the ball square across your own box.

• Like 4