BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sunderland (a) - 26/12/22

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I was going to say, if you’d taken most of the decent centre forwards who played amateur and semi pro football when I did and given them 5 games for Rovers first team, they would have acquitted themselves better than Hirst has. 

if your not the best technically and are a bit out of your depth then at least try and make up for it with effort,from what iv`e seen of hirst he does`nt even bother putting the yards in

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember it. Ayala looked like he was playing in quick sand. It was embarrassing. Totally ineffective. Centre halves are only any use up front when you can keep launching the ball onto their heads. Expecting them to play like a normal striker is foolish. Unless they are players as good as Sutton or Warhurst.

I agree. 

21 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Obviously you think that’s a decision worth mocking now, but was Luton away before or after your complete 180 on Mowbray? Because if it was prior to your change of heart you’ll have been praising the decision at the time.

Ayala was far more useful to us in Sunderland’s box today than Hirst was.

It was you who would have put Wharton or Phillips up front instead of Hirst not me. I think you play players in the correct positions and play a formation that suits the players. 

Ayala was useful in the Sunderland box granted but I just wish he got to the final cross cos Hirst would have had a tap up and we would got something from that game

17 minutes ago, J*B said:

I thought we should have gone 532 during the second half to see it out too, Chaddy. 

I think bringing Travis on and moving Buckley was mistake. 

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Morton is bang average for me chaddy. For better or worse I'd rather one of our own youngsters was getting the game time.

Gallagher and Hirst simply aren't good enough and no sound of game time will change that. We will never be successful with either of those two as staples in the side.

I think Morton is very good player and when he plays well so do Rovers. 

Big fan of Gallagher and I think he is good player for us. 

9 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I agree with most of this post, but on Hirst I'd say has had enough of a crack to show that he is a million miles off it. Granted he could do a Diaz like transformation but I think Ben despite being diabolical for his first two seasons here had shown something here and there. Hirst has done nothing at all, never wins a single duel in the air or on the ground let alone get in scoring positions. Never seen a player so obviously out of his depth.

If we replace Hirst with a good goal scoring centre forward who carries a threat it will make a huge difference to the side.

If we do replace Hirst for example would any new striker signing get much game time if Gallagher is fit anyway

38 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Morton is bang average for me chaddy. For better or worse I'd rather one of our own youngsters was getting the game time.

I worry about you sometimes Rev, Morton bang average 😂

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It was you who would have put Wharton or Phillips up front instead of Hirst not me. I think you play players in the correct positions and play a formation that suits the players. 

Ayala was useful in the Sunderland box granted but I just wish he got to the final cross cos Hirst would have had a tap up and we would got something from that game

Actually I said Wharton or Ayala, but same applies to Phillips too, and I completely stand by it. You tried to mock my suggestion asking if I’d been hacked by Mowbray, the man who could do no wrong in your eyes this time last year. Hirst’s “performance” today has done nothing to prove me wrong. He was utterly useless. Managed more booking points than touches of the ball. Your claims he’d have had a tap in are very presumptuous.

From Kaminski - crap distribution, so play it back to him all the time - to Gallagher - come short and get on the ball, never set foot in the box - and every player in between, NOTHING about the way we play currently suits our players.

• Like 8

On Hirst he did well at Pompey and their fans liked him, personally I’m not sure he is cut out for this standard but it’s harsh because he is feeding from scraps and very little scraps at that. To play as a CF and not have a single chance or half chance in both the Forest and Sunderland game is worrying but that’s not down to the player it’s the system/set up

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He will be a decent player, at the moment he's a one in five player, we need some consistent players in the middle.  And why are we letting Liverpools players ahead of ours?

The vast majority of our squad are one in five players, that’s why they’re playing at this level. 

Morton probably wouldn’t be here if we had any depth to the squad or funds to buy players, sadly we have neither. 

13 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Actually I said Wharton or Ayala, but same applies to Phillips too, and I completely stand by it. You tried to mock my suggestion asking if I’d been hacked by Mowbray, the man who could do no wrong in your eyes this time last year. Hirst’s “performance” today has done nothing to prove me wrong. He was utterly useless. Managed more booking points than touches of the ball. Your claims he’d have had a tap in are very presumptuous.

From Kaminski - crap distribution, so play it back to him all the time - to Gallagher - come short and get on the ball, never set foot in the box - and every player in between, NOTHING about the way we play currently suits our players.

Totally agree with this. Every single player would benefit from a a change of formation and tactics so why do we persist with it. He won’t get 15 new players in January. It isn’t like we are playing this way to get the best from Diaz or Dack or anyone. Baffling 

• Like 1

In truth I thought a draw would have been a fair result but in the second half I thought had we showed some real attacking intent could have won. That said Sunderland had the best three players on the pitch in my opinion and our back four were decent. The rest of our team were hugely disappointing with the exception of Dack. Brereton was poor, almost a return to when he first came. Weak, easily pushed off the ball and lacking intent and purpose. Ditto Gallagher. Hirst, well he is an absolute waste of space. I don't see one redeeming feature about him and on January 1st he should be driving back down the M1 never to return. If Sam Burns or Harry Leonard aren't better than him then I give up. Tomasson's changes were perplexing as he took Dack off (again) when Brereton was blowing out of his arse and had taken a couple of knocks. Truly baffling as was his decision not to bring Markanday on. His pace and ability to run in behind would have been useful as Sunderland tired. O'Nien for Sunderland had to play centre half today due to injuries and he is about five feet and eight inches tall but we rarely put him under any aerial pressure and when we did he actually beat Gallagher, Brereton and Hurst in the air. Embarrassing for them.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I’ve seen better players up at Blacksnape.

I don’t mean in the Darwen League. I mean top class at junior school.

Agreed. It's time to smell the coffee and cut our losses on this lad, he's a dummy with no aggression and legs of lead.

A sheep in wolf's clothing.

• Like 2

Gallagher was no worse than anyone else today, Diaz never touched the ball in first half and spent most of the 2nd half on his arse.

Stat for the Gally haters - When he’s started games this season we’ve averaged over 3 points per game, when he doesn’t just over 1.

No wonder managers keep picking him.

20 minutes ago, arbitro said:

In truth I thought a draw would have been a fair result but in the second half I thought had we showed some real attacking intent could have won. That said Sunderland had the best three players on the pitch in my opinion and our back four were decent. The rest of our team were hugely disappointing with the exception of Dack. Brereton was poor, almost a return to when he first came. Weak, easily pushed off the ball and lacking intent and purpose. Ditto Gallagher. Hirst, well he is an absolute waste of space. I don't see one redeeming feature about him and on January 1st he should be driving back down the M1 never to return. If Sam Burns or Harry Leonard aren't better than him then I give up. Tomasson's changes were perplexing as he took Dack off (again) when Brereton was blowing out of his arse and had taken a couple of knocks. Truly baffling as was his decision not to bring Markanday on. His pace and ability to run in behind would have been useful as Sunderland tired. O'Nien for Sunderland had to play centre half today due to injuries and he is about five feet and eight inches tall but we rarely put him under any aerial pressure and when we did he actually beat Gallagher, Brereton and Hurst in the air. Embarrassing for them.

A draw would not have been a fair result and 09 has been playing CB for us most of this season. He’s been excellent, despite his height. Mind once Batth is fit, him and Ballard should be our CB pairing and an immense one at that. 

We didn’t play very well today and haven’t done at home most of the season but now that Stewart is back fit we have a chance at the playoffs

37 minutes ago, Staffordshire Rover said:

On Hirst he did well at Pompey and their fans liked him, personally I’m not sure he is cut out for this standard but it’s harsh because he is feeding from scraps and very little scraps at that. To play as a CF and not have a single chance or half chance in both the Forest and Sunderland game is worrying but that’s not down to the player it’s the system/set up

Bang on! I’ve seen comments on here about Diaz and Gallagher. I’m not sure what they’re meant to do when they have no service. Diaz was worth £20 million at least, last year. In this system? £10 million max. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

Gallagher was no worse than anyone else today, Diaz never touched the ball in first half and spent most of the 2nd half on his arse.

Stat for the Gally haters - When he’s started games this season we’ve averaged over 3 points per game, when he doesn’t just over 1.

With stats like that other clubs will be beating our door down to sign him in January then.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SAFCfaninpeace said:

A draw would not have been a fair result and 09 has been playing CB for us most of this season. He’s been excellent, despite his height. Mind once Batth is fit, him and Ballard should be our CB pairing and an immense one at that. 

We didn’t play very well today and haven’t done at home most of the season but now that Stewart is back fit we have a chance at the playoffs

I’d agree with you that thought rovers deserved to lose but re the play offs you’re not factoring in Moggadons new year implosion. A trait that’s followed him at rovers, boro and Coventry. 

1 hour ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

Kidding, right? Top 4 in first season in charge. Are we genuinely upset if we finish 8 and above? 

Well, I for one, would be quite hacked off - which, I think, equates to being "genuinely upset", if we finished 7th or 8th. To have spent so much of the season in the automatic promotion places and end up with not a shot at promotion would feel like an avoidable failure.

And I know that I'm one of the posters on here who's been most in favour of JDT's "Project", which he tells us will take three or four transfer windows before it will come to fruition.

But to have spent so much of his first season with promotion apparently within our grasp, yet in what seems to be a bang average Championship table - witness how few points there are between 7th/8th and 19th/20th ‐ to miss out on even the opportunity to compete for a place in the Premier League would be extremely disappointing, to put it mildly.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Gav said:

That’s actually a great explanation for those feeling we are in a false league position. Gally on - boom - 5 points

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gav said:

Over 3 points per game when he starts. Fucking hell. Incredible, do we get some of bonus point for playing him?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

Well, I for one, would be quite hacked off - which, I think, equates to being "genuinely upset", if we finished 7th or 8th. To have spent so much of the season in the automatic promotion places and end up with not a shot at promotion would feel like an avoidable failure.

And I know that I'm one of the posters on here who's been most in favour of JDT's "Project", which he tells us will take three or four transfer windows before it will come to fruition.

But to have spent so much of his first season with promotion apparently within our grasp, yet in what seems to be a bang average Championship table - witness how few points there are between 7th/8th and 19th/20th ‐ to miss out on even the opportunity to compete for a place in the Premier League would be extremely disappointing, to put it mildly.

Agreed. More widely we’ve been out of the top flight for 10 years now without even troubling the playoffs. That’s unforgivable considering the footing Jack put us on.

Enough finding excuses. Enough embracing mediocrity. There’s absolutely no reason we shouldn’t be making the playoffs.

• Like 4