BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sunderland (a) - 26/12/22

Pays your money takes your chances Mercer..this lot have consistently failed to deliver when the Manager needs backing time and time again.Its like they dont want promotion.We'll end up with some shithouse div1 loanees on free!

We're somehow still in the mix in what is a piss poor league.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

I'm trying hard to put disappointment on hold. Its difficult right now especially when we've been in the top 6 for months.

I don't think we will remain there, I certainly don't expect us to go further.

Its just that JDT came in late ( Venky standard procedure), he didn't have much chance to influence the summer transfer window and we lost 6 1st team players who weren't fully replaced either in terms of numbers or quality.

So I'll give him the January window and the July 23 window and make my mind up then, after the first few games.

I'm certainly not prepared to go on another  journey with no end in sight. And I am sick of the constant tinkering, without much logic to it that I can see.

Promotion remains a dream and a long way away.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Andy said:

Today's performance wasn't good enough and you have to be beating the newly promoted sides, if you have any ambitions of a top-6 finish.

However, the table doesn't lie and if you're 3rd in the league, with over half of the season gone, it's absolutely not 'fluke', or because everyone else is shit.

It's because we've found a way to win enough games to put us third.

Which, in a new manager's first season, having had to replace some key members of the first team and introduce a new style of play, is extremely impressive.

We (as fans) tend to swing from one extreme to the other; I've seen both 'we're going up' and also, more bizarrely 'we'll be in a relegation fight' in recent weeks and the truth is neither. Like it or not, we're in a transition season and need to manage our expectations accordingly. 

I am managing my expectations. I am also now managing the money that I spend on the Rovers.

• Like 3

I think the only good thing about yesterday was the fact they sold whisky in the bar, a rare treat at a football ground. Utter crap served up again by the team, they were equally as bad which made losing even worse. Sky must surely realise they've fucked up keep showing our games, I'm struggling to watch them so god help any neutrals who tune in.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Andy said:

Today's performance wasn't good enough and you have to be beating the newly promoted sides, if you have any ambitions of a top-6 finish.

However, the table doesn't lie and if you're 3rd in the league, with over half of the season gone, it's absolutely not 'fluke', or because everyone else is shit.

It's because we've found a way to win enough games to put us third.

Which, in a new manager's first season, having had to replace some key members of the first team and introduce a new style of play, is extremely impressive.

We (as fans) tend to swing from one extreme to the other; I've seen both 'we're going up' and also, more bizarrely 'we'll be in a relegation fight' in recent weeks and the truth is neither. Like it or not, we're in a transition season and need to manage our expectations accordingly. 

"Transition" to League 1 after relegation next season. This squad is just staggeringly inept in both midfield and upfront where we already know Brereton will be gone by the summer. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

We are a tough watch , I’m not seeing a marked improvement from mowbray. We are getting sneaky wins that aren’t entirely merited, defeats are merited, not creating enough, relying on luck, a piece of magic and resolute defending to win matches. I just don’t see where we are going with this 

Must be said we’ve been very lucky winning games with a moment of brilliance or piece of luck. Problem is that won’t happen every game and when that runs out we aren’t creating anywhere near enough chances to compete. That’s why we win games and lose games and nothing in between. When it goes for us we win but when we lose we have no answer because we create fuck all. That’s why we can’t come back when we go 1 down because we can’t create enough chances to score a goal or two. 
That’s where our biggest problem is. Not shifting the ball fast enough, not getting the ball in the box with crosses. Just don’t understand when forward players make runs we turn back and slow it down yet when there isn’t a run made we aimlessly hit it over the top. 
I’m really not a fan of Hirst at all but in fairness to him it must be so hard to come on and run around like a headless chicken because our service up to our forward is woeful, got to be one of the worst in the league. 
Our midfield is awful currently, no transition between defence and stokers sadly. We were second to EVERY single second ball yesterday and they just waltzed past us with ease. It was embarrassing and I’m sorry but JDT isn’t the man. The subs killed the game completely as we were growing into it.
‘The definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome’ 

Something needs to change, this is no improvement at all on last year. And for the ‘We are third brigade’ we were second at Christmas last year so calm down. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

Must be said we’ve been very lucky winning games with a moment of brilliance or piece of luck. Problem is that won’t happen every game and when that runs out we aren’t creating anywhere near enough chances to compete. That’s why we win games and lose games and nothing in between. When it goes for us we win but when we lose we have no answer because we create fuck all. That’s why we can’t come back when we go 1 down because we can’t create enough chances to score a goal or two. 
That’s where our biggest problem is. Not shifting the ball fast enough, not getting the ball in the box with crosses. Just don’t understand when forward players make runs we turn back and slow it down yet when there isn’t a run made we aimlessly hit it over the top. 
I’m really not a fan of Hirst at all but in fairness to him it must be so hard to come on and run around like a headless chicken because our service up to our forward is woeful, got to be one of the worst in the league. 
Our midfield is awful currently, no transition between defence and stokers sadly. We were second to EVERY single second ball yesterday and they just waltzed past us with ease. It was embarrassing and I’m sorry but JDT isn’t the man. The subs killed the game completely as we were growing into it.
‘The definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome’ 

Something needs to change, this is no improvement at all on last year. And for the ‘We are third brigade’ we were second at Christmas last year so calm down. 

To be fair, Hirst does not find it hard to run around like a headless chicken, it is one of the few things he is pretty good at it.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, alcd said:

"Transition" to League 1 after relegation next season. This squad is just staggeringly inept in both midfield and upfront where we already know Brereton will be gone by the summer. 

The next Division  change for us , will sadly be a downgrade ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I'm trying hard to put disappointment on hold. Its difficult right now especially when we've been in the top 6 for months.

I don't think we will remain there, I certainly don't expect us to go further.

Its just that JDT came in late ( Venky standard procedure), he didn't have much chance to influence the summer transfer window and we lost 6 1st team players who weren't fully replaced either in terms of numbers or quality.

So I'll give him the January window and the July 23 window and make my mind up then, after the first few games.

I'm certainly not prepared to go on another  journey with no end in sight. And I am sick of the constant tinkering, without much logic to it that I can see.

Promotion remains a dream and a long way away.

The most sensible post on here and promotion remains a dream, a pipe dream that will never happen under these owners. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 4

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Sunderland (a) - 26/12/22
  • Herbie6590 unpinned this topic

Once again we will see Venkys' true intentions this January. For the second season running we will go into January in a very strong position in the table and in theory in a good position to go out and add to the squad.

I expect we will see a repeat of last January with minimal cash spent and a few loans to shuffle things around. That tells us all we need to know, because engaged and ambitious owners would ensure that the Club did whatever was necessary to seize advantage of this position.

Then we will get the usual codswallop - can't spend due to FFP, multi-year project blah blah whilst rival clubs just get on and do it.

They've already laid the foundations for a quiet month

I think they need to be considering terminating the loans of Hirst and Mola. It makes little sense to me to keep either until the end of the season unless there is still an intention to keep either permanently, which is worrying if the case.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Miller11 said:

This particular one is attempting to shut down any criticism of our current regime or deflect from inexcusable performances by repeating “We are third in the league”.

With the discussion we had you are pretending you didn’t blindly defend Mowbray until it became obvious we weren’t making the playoffs and his departure became the most obvious scenario.

I think I have posted very valid criticism of the team performance in recent match thread so your point is just plain wrong. 

The fact or the matter we are 3rd after 24 games. simple as. 

As for Mowbray, I think you will find we were still in the top 6 when I posted we need to drop the back 3 and go back 4 which we did far too late under Mowbray. We were still in great shout of the playoff before Mowbray blown it with his stubbornness over his starting formation. Anyway that last season and nothing can be change about that now. leave it in the past

13 hours ago, Mercer said:

This lot sacked Big Sam when we were a comfortable top half PL side!!!

blimey still going on about him. Sacking him was right but the biggest problem was who replaced him with. 

12 hours ago, Mercer said:

Not the right mentality!

You have to be confident in improving matters.

We aren't exactly looking to replace a Pep or a Jurgen!!!

I think we need to allow JDT and the players time and fans need to allow this and be patience. I am shocked we are even in the top 6 this season cos I didn't think we would be so high in the table. I am very positive person but I did not expect to be 3rd in the league table at Christmas. 

12 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

More chance of finishing in the bottom 3.

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Thank God for that. Only another 11 points and we should be safe.

This sort of mentality and attitude is what I have massive problem with. Just so negative.  

12 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It's 3 transition seasons. Until he gets 3 summer transfer windows we can't even begin to compete🤷‍♂️

Its 3 transfer windows is JDT's point. 

12 hours ago, Mercer said:

No they don't.

JDT signs players, coaches them, sets the tactics and style of play and picks the team.

Responsibility is HIS ALONE.

Seen enough of this scented bullshitter to know HE IS NOT the man to take us forward.

We are feckin fortunate to have scraped a good many of our wins - good luck rather than good management 

Let's cut our losses and move on 

Sorry Mercer, But the players have to take some of the responsibility for how we played in games. 

What do you mean by cut our losses and move on?  

34 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Once again we will see Venkys' true intentions this January. For the second season running we will go into January in a very strong position in the table and in theory in a good position to go out and add to the squad.

I expect we will see a repeat of last January with minimal cash spent and a few loans to shuffle things around. That tells us all we need to know, because engaged and ambitious owners would ensure that the Club did whatever was necessary to seize advantage of this position.

Then we will get the usual codswallop - can't spend due to FFP, multi-year project blah blah whilst rival clubs just get on and do it.

They've already laid the foundations for a quiet month

I think they need to be considering terminating the loans of Hirst and Mola. It makes little sense to me to keep either until the end of the season unless there is still an intention to keep either permanently, which is worrying if the case.

You keep not understanding the FFP rules season after season. We only escape a FFP transfer embargo cos we sold the training ground and sold Armstrong. Look at what Football finance expert Kieran Maguire says about Rovers finances. 

Posters have said Mowbray had more money to spend than he did spent and that Mowbray never spend his entire budget each window. 

8 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

It doesn’t have to be a transition just because the manager says so though. We could actually show some ambition as club for once and say ‘we are third and the aim is promotion’. Instead of dismissing defeats due to us being a young side and saying it’s a project. Where’s the ambition at? What’s the point of football if we are just in transition all the time and not aiming to actually go up. It’s always tomorrow with this lot.

Absolutely spot on. To continually dismiss unacceptable performances as inevitable and only to be expected because we have a young side is lazy in the extreme and an abdication of responsibility.

• Like 3

I just watched the 2nd half again as my stream yesterday went a bit iffy.

Huff and puff but not much else.

Hirst did make contact with the ball twice, once with his chest and a nodded 2 yard attempt at a pass.

His main contribution was giving away the free kick that led to Travis messing up and the Sunderland winner. 

I may be mistaken but I am pretty sure that he didn't kick the ball whilst on field for at least 20 minutes and whilst the ball was in play.

That is impressive, as is jumping under the ball.

He did get 1 credit point for levelling O'Nien late on.

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its 3 transfer windows is JDT's point. 

Sorry Mercer, But the players have to take some of the responsibility for how we played in games. 

What do you mean by cut our losses and move on?  

You keep not understanding the FFP rules season after season. We only escape a FFP transfer embargo cos we sold the training ground and sold Armstrong. Look at what Football finance expert Kieran Maguire says about Rovers finances. 

Posters have said Mowbray had more money to spend than he did spent and that Mowbray never spend his entire budget each window. 

Which one is it then?

We either

a) avoided FFP by the skin of our teeth by selling Armstrong & Brockhall, or ...

b) we had money to spend, but chose not to?

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

blimey still going on about him. Sacking him was right but the biggest problem was who replaced him with. 

Oh Chaddy 🤦‍♂️ if they were daft enough to sack a manager who had us in mid-table PL and reaching cup semi finals, in what world were they going to appoint somebody better?

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Which one is it then?

We either

a) avoided FFP by the skin of our teeth by selling Armstrong & Brockhall, or ...

What Blackburn Rovers' latest accounts mean for Ben Brereton Diaz, future spending and FFP (msn.com)

19 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

b) we had money to spend, but chose not to?

ask the people posting that source of info

14 minutes ago, frosty said:

Oh Chaddy 🤦‍♂️ if they were daft enough to sack a manager who had us in mid-table PL and reaching cup semi finals, in what world were they going to appoint somebody better?

plenty of options out there at the time. Plus let not forget he wanted out of Rovers that previous summer for a job managing a Middle East club which plenty of Rovers fans forget quickly. He never wanted to be here.