BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

FAC Q/F v Sheffield United (a) - 19/3/23, 12pm K/O

Not to rehash the topic as it seems we've moved on from it but both what felt like a positive comment about diversity in the fan base followed by what read like a less positive comment about wives and girlfriends both for me boil down to how the club is being run.  

How many people who are 20 years old born and raised in a BB post code can afford to regularly go to games at the prices we charge, and moreover how many families can afford to treat our 'family club' as a family day out for the same reason.  

The tail is Waggot the dog... Wagging sorry 

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Never said that either. I am torn, it undoubtedly is more accurate, but takes away spontaneity. 

Ruined my celebration of the Szmodics goal a bit. From my angle he looked a mile off and I was expecting it to be ruled out.

• Like 1

Just now, SBlue said:

Ruined my celebration of the Szmodics goal a bit. From my angle he looked a mile off and I was expecting it to be ruled out.

And without VAR there is a good chance it would have been.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

Not to rehash the topic as it seems we've moved on from it but both what felt like a positive comment about diversity in the fan base followed by what read like a less positive comment about wives and girlfriends both for me boil down to how the club is being run.  

How many people who are 20 years old born and raised in a BB post code can afford to regularly go to games at the prices we charge, and moreover how many families can afford to treat our 'family club' as a family day out for the same reason.  

The tail is Waggot the dog... Wagging sorry 

What are you referring to?

20 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Why? There was no flag was there?

No because the linesman is told to keep his flag down if it is close and let VAR handle it. Linemen simply don't flag in the Premier League now unless it is miles off. They rarely flag after the ball goes in unless it was fairly obvious.

Had VAR not been in operation, the linesman would have had to make a call and may have put his flag up. 

Edited by Hasta

14 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

What are you referring to?

Comment earlier in the post in reply to someone commenting how nice it was to see wider demographic in the away end.  Along the lines of 'Be better when they take their wives and girlfriends with them though. I expect that's s few generations away yet.'

Certainly reads a way but like anything online the tone is lost 

5 minutes ago, Hasta said:

No because the linesman is told to keep his flag down if it is close and let VAR handle it. Linemen simply don't flag in the Premier League now unless it is miles off. They rarely flag after the ball goes in unless it was fairly obvious.

Had VAR not been in operation, the linesman would have had to make a call and may have put his flag up. 

Linesmen keep their flag down during "open play" whether its close or not. They then put it up if they think its offside when the game has come to a standstill and then let the VAR do his/her thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Fantastic article on refereeing in the Premiership.Great insights. Very long---I expect only Arbitro will read it!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/21/inside-world-premier-league-football-referees-pgmol-howard-webb-andre-marriner-darren-england

I have read half and will finish it, it is long and will bear in mind it is from the newspaper that wrote:

"Max Lowe’s long‑range volley clipped Gallagher and trickled in.

That was how it stayed until the hour, when an error from Lowe allowed Tyler Mortonperhaps the outstanding player in a Blackburn shirt – to steal the ball"

12 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

As did I. I even had a conciliatory WhatsApp call before I went to bed from my Burnleh-supporting old schoolmate in NZ!

But, come on, Lennie; how long have you followed BRFC? These aren't the days of John Williams, tha knows!😏

I suffer from Stockholm syndrome. Thanks for jolting me out of it!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BigUts said:

Linesmen keep their flag down during "open play" whether its close or not. They then put it up if they think its offside when the game has come to a standstill and then let the VAR do his/her thing.

But in reality I don't believe that's what happens. For fear of curtailing a celebration and then being proved wrong, my feeling is they just keep their flag down unless absolutely certain.

Same as I now feel that referee's give less penalties in real time than they previously did, instead thinking "VAR will make the call if I am wrong" and therefore don't give it. I'd like to see the stats for this which probably are available. 

Edited by Hasta

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

I have to admit he looked offside from my view and I expected a late flag and VAR intervention. I was desperate for the game to restart 🤣🤣

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I have to admit he looked offside from my view and I expected a late flag and VAR intervention. I was desperate for the game to restart 🤣🤣

There was one instance in the second half when I was sure we were offside in the build up. Brereton had it on the left and I was thinking "don't cross it yet. Win a corner or get to a second phase of play". It was a bit weird.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I watched it on telly Tony and my immediate instinct was 'onside'. But the point about VAR is still valid because I didn't start celebrating fully until they kicked off again lol.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I watched it on telly Tony and my immediate instinct was 'onside'. But the point about VAR is still valid because I didn't start celebrating fully until they kicked off again lol.

I watched it on TV and I thought “ onside “. I only started to worry when they were playing it back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I have read half and will finish it, it is long and will bear in mind it is from the newspaper that wrote:

"Max Lowe’s long‑range volley clipped Gallagher and trickled in.

That was how it stayed until the hour, when an error from Lowe allowed Tyler Mortonperhaps the outstanding player in a Blackburn shirt – to steal the ball"

Didn't"t agree with that. Morton had a mixed game for me.

However don't let that quote from a different article spoil the one you're half-way through!

Edited by 47er